Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (117) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979900 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:03pm On Oct 09, 2017
Zibah14:

Yeah I already read all those landing experiences , and read them again just now, there's nothing for Turkish airlines. I'm actually asking cos I plan to travel with them and would like have an idea what to expect.

I used Turkish Airlines, great airline. For my kids there was in-flight entertainment from Lagos to Istanbul and then onwards to Toronto. The transit period in Ataturk Airport in Instanbul was also great. They have a modern, international airport, very clean and large with lots to see. The kids had a ball running around, lots of restaurants and fast food places with duty free shops for window shopping. The 7 hours stopover flew by quite fast. Both legs of the flight were very okay, the kids are used to international flights so the food was not a problem for them. Our luggage all arrived with us in good condition, In all, I would recommend Turkish Air.

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
Issyman:

I am interested in this information also. Kindly share the process when you get the information. Many thanks.

Contact CPA of the province you are migrating to. They will ask you to register and upload transcripts from ICAN and your other degrees. They will let you know the next step to take. It's as simple as that.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 09, 2017
czaratwork:
My host/Landlady is taking me to the offices of Kelly services, International financial goup, access employment and randstad(all job recruitment agencies) today .
we want to see if they will give me audience or send me to their websites.

I never start and i don dey tired of sending resumes without response. Lets see if i can take it by force. ofcourse i will update the house.

Are there government sponsored agencies that can help with your resume and cover letter where you are?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zaen: 6:05pm On Oct 09, 2017
vcole:
@oohunt please land before your medicals expires. Otherwise your copr would become invalid. You would not have the option of repeating your medicals. That option only applied to the fsw pre-express entry era when often times applications were still being processed while medicals expired.

Congrats freeradical

Good job glitteringstar!

@ballerz you wan use laugh kill me @gender writing. cheesy
pls is this the same as the deadline for landing stated on the visa?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zibah14: 6:39pm On Oct 09, 2017
Thanks a lot. I already booked and I was getting quite worried cos no one was talking about them.
Blackbuddy:

I used Turkish Airlines, great airline. For my kids there was in-flight entertainment from Lagos to Istanbul and then onwards to Toronto. The transit period in Ataturk Airport in Instanbul was also great. They have a modern, international airport, very clean and large with lots to see. The kids had a ball running around, lots of restaurants and fast food places with duty free shops for window shopping. The 7 hours stopover flew by quite fast. Both legs of the flight were very okay, the kids are used to international flights so the food was not a problem for them. Our luggage all arrived with us in good condition, In all, I would recommend Turkish Air.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zibah14: 6:40pm On Oct 09, 2017
Ok sis. Thanks a lot.
Hephgirl:
my friends has... And all gave positive reviews.
They are known for misplacing ur bags... But mostly on ur return leg... Which doesn't apply to u.
I can't remember any negative review.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zibah14: 6:41pm On Oct 09, 2017
Great. Thank you.
Riverclose:
I have used Turkish airline a couple of times, no way you can compare them with the airlines you mentioned. They've stepped up real good, services very ok

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 7:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
Zaen:
pls is this the same as the deadline for landing stated on the visa?

There am only one deadline and it is that written boldly on the CoPR letter you received.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Underwoodd: 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2017
mukhtar4u:

Exactly my concern as well.

Knowing if the upgrade is same as ICAP course by course because the option is not there and confirming whether I really need to send same documents again.

They don't reply mails at all

Let's see if @Ehrnie and @dupyshoo can assist with their experience.

Hi.. I got this reply from them;

"Please be advised, your account is currently under review. Do not resend any documents. If we need any additional information, we will contact you"

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 09, 2017
Demo213:
Mostly Books, some clothes and a few other personal stuffs. Should be around 2bags weighing about 60KG. Any link?

How about paying for extra luggage at the airport?.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Teatop1234: 8:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
What would you then say about Lufthansa on missing baggages? grin

Turkish airline is pretty good. I’d love I ride with them again. My Children loved the goody bag and the entertainment. Would recommend.

Hephgirl:
my friends has... And all gave positive reviews.
They are known for misplacing ur bags... But mostly on ur return leg... Which doesn't apply to u.
I can't remember any negative review.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Issyman(m): 8:46pm On Oct 09, 2017
honey86:

Contact CPA of the province you are migrating to. They will ask you to register and upload transcripts from ICAN and your other degrees. They will let you know the next step to take. It's as simple as that.

Many thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 8:49pm On Oct 09, 2017
Teatop1234:
What would you then say about Lufthansa on missing baggages? grin

Turkish airline is pretty good. I’d love I ride with them again. My Children loved the goody bag and the entertainment. Would recommend.

Me I will never fly lufthansa ever again. Stingy airline... Mscheew

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Teatop1234: 8:52pm On Oct 09, 2017
Same here. It was a terrible experience for me. I lost two full bags which they valued at $400 or so in 2012. Way cheaper than what it’s worth. Kpshew

Hephgirl:
Me I will never fly lufthansa ever again. Stingy airline... Mscheew

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Teatop1234: 9:12pm On Oct 09, 2017
Hello Vcole & other gurus in Calgary,

I tried to PM you yesterday but was unsuccessful.

After reading Josh’s Canny experience posted by @Yokus (though his write-up was 8 years ago) yesterday, I came to a conclusion with hubby that it’s better he travels first so as to sort out schooling and housing palava then we join against next session / summer I.e. June / July next year. I also read some counter arguments that Josh became focused on his job because he was constantly reminded of his obligations and that if he had travelled alone, he might have given up and returned to India. Wht’s your take guys?

To the veterans, how easy is it to settle down with Children and hunt for Jobs? Rembr, there isn’t any job waiting and the kids shouldn’t also have a gap in education. What is the probability of getting a job in the province one decides to settle I.e. house rent is running, kids are already in school and no job yet?

Also, the Calgary peeps - the Catholic schools are not that cheap. Clear Water / Webber / Master are asking for Family bond of about CAD10k. What do you think of the public school called Jennie Elliott ? I read that it’s a top school in SW Calgary but don’t want to base my decision solely on internet statistics.

Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 9:49pm On Oct 09, 2017
Happy thanksgiving all. Abeg who is in Winnipeg o and cooked Turkey? Send address make I show come celebrate thanksgiving with you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by teelurv(f): 1:42am On Oct 10, 2017
AlexanderGreat:
Virgin Atlantic doesn't fly to Canada?
I tire o. Have so much points that I can rather use to save costs but still I think it would be best to call them directly.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:15am On Oct 10, 2017
honey86:

Are there government sponsored agencies that can help with your resume and cover letter where you are?

Yes, she mentioned Acces Employment that offers integration and job preparedness training for foreign trained professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by val4o: 2:21am On Oct 10, 2017
Blackbuddy:

If your funds are in your personal account, you'll need to send the account statement as proof. That is what is referred to as POF, Proof of Funds.

I understand bro. But since am using one of my siblings account statement i dont need to show my personal statement account, right?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:39am On Oct 10, 2017
val4o:

I understand bro. But since am using one of my siblings account statement i dont need to show my personal statement account, right?

If you are applying for skilled worker PR, you can only use your own account, that of your spouse or a joint account with your spouse. You can not use the account statement of any other family member to complete a skilled worker application for PR.

If you are applying for a student visa, then that is another ball game where you may need to show a sponsor's account statement accordingly. I can't help with this as you will need guidance from someone who understands how the student visa application process works. Please clarify your position so the house can assist you appropriately.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 8:07am On Oct 10, 2017
vcole:
@oohunt please land before your medicals expires. Otherwise your copr would become invalid. You would not have the option of repeating your medicals. That option only applied to the fsw pre-express entry era when often times applications were still being processed while medicals expired.

Congrats freeradical

Good job glitteringstar!

@ballerz you wan use laugh kill me @gender writing. cheesy

Thanks!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 8:28am On Oct 10, 2017
Lolss @amokemi, you're on your own o. Manitoba people ke, we no see their greenlight o. But @honey86 got your back sha.

amokemi:
Happy thanksgiving all. Abeg who is in Winnipeg o and cooked Turkey? Send address make I show come celebrate thanksgiving with you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bigfido: 8:29am On Oct 10, 2017
Incline:
I've a question. I've a friend who says he will have to spend 1 million naira, that's almost $3,000 to apply for visa ...like visit visa or any visa to canada, from Nigeria? He said this is the cost of paying agents to process the applications to Canada and what they told him. I told him he doesn't need to use an agent but he says its better. Is this true? Are y'all spending that much to process your application to canada?? This isn't about me ooo, I'm already overseas. Just want to get a clearer picture of what he's saying. He says he doesn't want to spend that much and lose money in case his application is rejected so he's asking me to sponsor him instead.

I think you should change the first two letters of your moniker to DE.. then send it to him

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 8:44am On Oct 10, 2017
AlexanderGreat:
Virgin Atlantic doesn't fly to Canada?

They dont....but i plan on using them to Atlanta, and connecting with Delta.....since they are partners.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 8:49am On Oct 10, 2017
teelurv:

I tire o. Have so much points that I can rather use to save costs but still I think it would be best to call them directly.
Haha....You can still use them, you go to ATL first....Are you a silver or gold member? it makes a lot of sense if you are as well.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 9:12am On Oct 10, 2017
Thanks. I just checked. But there's an 18-hour layover at Heathrow London before they move to Atlanta. When I know I still have another journey to Toronto (and possibly another one to Manitoba after that). Nah...I'll pass lol
maygreaves:

They dont....but i plan on using them to Atlanta, and connecting with Delta.....since they are partners.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 9:14am On Oct 10, 2017
AlexanderGreat:
Thanks. I just checked. But there's an 18-hour layover at Heathrow London before they move to Atlanta. When I know I still have another journey to Toronto (and possibly another one to Manitoba after that). Nah...I'll pass lol

18 hour, mine was 5...but then again, it all adds miles to your frequent flyer...so if you're a red or silver member looking for gold...it makes a lot of sense.....but 18 hours??...check again please.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 9:30am On Oct 10, 2017
maygreaves:

18 hour, mine was 5...but then again, it all adds miles to your frequent flyer...so if you're a red or silver member looking for gold...it makes a lot of sense.....but 18 hours??...check again please.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 9:53am On Oct 10, 2017
Blackbuddy:

If your funds are in your personal account, you'll need to send the account statement as proof. That is what is referred to as POF, Proof of Funds.

Or get bank reference letter in CIC format and have no need to include SOA.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bigfido: 10:15am On Oct 10, 2017
Canadianfly:

All I saw was "I joined Nairaland to respond to your comment" ......wow! What an honor grin

sorry guys that i am taking you guys back but i had to laugh at this kwakwakwakwakwa
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 10:20am On Oct 10, 2017
Teatop1234:
Hello Vcole & other gurus in Calgary,

I tried to PM you yesterday but was unsuccessful.

After reading Josh’s Canny experience posted by @Yokus (though his write-up was 8 years ago) yesterday, I came to a conclusion with hubby that it’s better he travels first so as to sort out schooling and housing palava then we join against next session / summer I.e. June / July next year. I also read some counter arguments that Josh became focused on his job because he was constantly reminded of his obligations and that if he had travelled alone, he might have given up and returned to India. Wht’s your take guys?

To the veterans, how easy is it to settle down with Children and hunt for Jobs? Rembr, there isn’t any job waiting and the kids shouldn’t also have a gap in education. What is the probability of getting a job in the province one decides to settle I.e. house rent is running, kids are already in school and no job yet?

Also, the Calgary peeps - the Catholic schools are not that cheap. Clear Water / Webber / Master are asking for Family bond of about CAD10k. What do you think of the public school called Jennie Elliott ? I read that it’s a top school in SW Calgary but don’t want to base my decision solely on internet statistics.

Thanks

Remember that the primary applicant has to land first or with the dependents. Dependent can't land before primary applicant.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tribeD: 11:03am On Oct 10, 2017
hello all,
@Erhnie, many thanks for you advice regarding this issue. What you paid for was the WES ICAP and its not the basic. I emailed and faxed WES on this matter especially after I saw during the application that I needed to send my transcripts again. Remember I said that my first degree transcript was not verified during EE ECA, WES got back to me with the message below:

Dear XXXX
Thank you for your message.

Please be advised that your academic records have been sent to the institution for verification by email and mail. The status for these documents will be updated in My Account once their response is received and accepted by WES.

We appreciate your patience in allowing your former institution sufficient time to respond to our request.

The message implied that they still have my transcripts and now I am following up with the verification from my Uni.
I will advice all those who are considering doing the basic ICAP to avoid it and do the other more expensive one. The reason being that your transcripts will be stored and you can use it in the future. Almost all schools in Canada accepts transcripts from WES and so you would be spared the stress of going back to apply for transcripts from your alma matas if you plan to go for further studies.
All the best guys

Ehrnie:
Hi - just trying to catch up on the WES/APEGA enquiries. Okay this is my own experience;
- I already had a WES ECA report which I used for EE and all I did was upgrade this to the WES ICAP course by course report. This is what the upgrade is called. If you start from the APEGA website, it will direct you to the WES page to apply for this upgrade. APEGA has a very detailed PDF doc on their webpage that outlines the steps to the WES evaluation they require.
- I had previously outlined the total cost I paid for my evaluation. It was $162.72 CAD which included a $7 delivery to my UK address. If you don't need the additional copy delivered to you then don't go for it. Just ensure you add APEGA as a receipient and pay the $7 delivery to APEGA.
- WES requested a verification of my transcript from my Nigerian Uni (BSc)...even though I had done this before for my 1st ECA report. They didn't ask for my MSc (Uk) to be reverified (or maybe they did - I don't know). It is my understanding that they need not reverify my transcript, but after several calls and emails to WES and they kept saying the same thing "your university has to verify your transcript as this wasnt part of the initial ECA verification" I had to obey (lol) to avoid further delays. Please note that I didn't send any certs or transcripts to them. They already have the certs and all they wanted was the transcript verification.

Now I can't recall which of the ICAP options I chose (but I doubt it's basic) but from the total cost I paid I'm sure you can figure out which of the two it is.

APEGA have now received my documents and are satisfied..meaning I chose the right upgrade option.

I hope this clarifies things?

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.