Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,518 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:44 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976259 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:23am On Oct 13, 2017
Welcome freeradical!

@teatop1234, you should note that the process of arriving Canada as a pr and as a student or a sowp holder are very different. I strongly advise that you and your family apply for your visas together. Husband for student permit, you for sowp and kids on dependent visas. You would get more info if you go on the Canada student visa thread.

It is worthy of mention that some families have moved to Canada like this and often times the spouse gets a job and within a year is able to sponsor the whole family under the cec class for pr.

Those schools you mentioned are private schools. Masters academy is the best school in Alberta while clear water and Webber fall into the top 10. So you should understand why their fees are on the high side. Aside from fees, there is no guarantee your kids would get admitted because they usually have a wait list and admission is competitive. That not withstanding, if you are interested in those schools then you should contact them to find out their wait list procedure. The public schools are free and don't require any fees. I don't know about the school you mentioned but if you are looking for "scholastic" schools within the cbe school system then you should look up "tlc" schools and read up about their wait list procedure.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 1:38am On Oct 13, 2017
salford1:
Saw some emergency power units aka generators tongue

Picked up some windscreen washer for the winter season too. These ones are rated -45. Hopefully it di2esnt get that cold.

Hello Salford...I sent u a PM.
Kindly check it out. I need some info.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by edababa007(m): 1:44am On Oct 13, 2017
Guy, i bin dey find you everywhere ooo.. Did our landing together @ montreal airport..email me here obeadeniyi@gmail.com

freeradical:
So my people it's been a long couple of days for me. I'm here tho to pay my debt of sharing our landing experience. Take a seat it's a long read

We left for the airport at 2:00am in two cars because we are a family of four as well as our entourage (close family member). We had with us 9 check-in bags and 4 carry on luggages. We were flying with royal air Marco. I planned to pay for two extra luggages because I promised to get foodstuffs for my hosts in Edmonton from Nigeria. We pre weighed all our luggages from home but when we threw them into the airline scale two of them weighed above 24kg and the agent asked us to reduce them. Trouble began for me when the lady informed me that my infants check in baggage assignment was just 10kg as against the 23kg I had pre packed for him. This was mostly foodstuff I used his weight allowance for so the thought of dropping my eggs I left a sad look on my face. Luckily my wife came up with a brilliant idea and I dunno how she managed it but she repacked the bags with a GMG bag and it was all good. I proceeded to pay for my extra luggages and they were like it's 160 euros for the first bag and 250 euro for the second bag. I was like broda that's too much na. The guy was like ok I like your face today just pay $400 USD for both bags and do something on the side for me. I obliged broda and paid him the money with 2k extra for his troubles. All our bags were neatly wrapped and tagged so we said our goodbyes and proceeded to boarding.

The flight from Lagos to Casablanca was smooth. The flight took off at 6:15am and arrived Casablanca at about 10:00 am. I forgot my lenses inside the plane will we disembarked and though I remembered all my efforts to retrieve it proved abortive. The layover in Casablanca was 7hrs long and we didn't start boarding until 5:30pm. Though we had two kids the time flew just by because there was a play area were kids were slugging it out while parents sat close by. It really kept our two year old engaged until it was time to board. Also there were enough duty free stores around to kill time for adults. The next flight to Montreal took off at 6:30pm and was a bigger plane than the first. The flight was very smooth and comfortable. There was inflight entertainment on every seat and the food was not so bad after all. My daughter was so tired she slept almost all through the flight. More relief for mum and dad. We were given declaration forms to fill towards the end of the flight. We arrived Montreal at 08:45pm Montreal time. We disembarked quickly so as to be amongst the first to pass through CBSA and conclude the scary landing formalities. It was a long walk from plane to the immigration section though there were several areas where they put technology to help with the movement. We got to the immigration section first it was a CBSA officer who asked for our travel documents, declaration card and CPR. He asked us if we had goods to follows and I answered no. He asked if we were bringing any food and I said yes. Then he made some inscription on our document and directed us to the office to see the main immigration officer.

When we got there we were asked to pick a number and wait for our turn like what you get in an mtn customer service centre. When our number showed up we went to the officer and exchanged greetings. He asked for our passports and CPRs. He looked at them and at the same time the following conversation ensued
VO: So you are a skilled worker?
Me: Yes
VO: What's your skill
Me: I'm a manufacturing manager
VO: That's right, How about you ma'am? (He directed this question to my wife)
Wifey: I'm a fashion designer
VO: That's okay
VO: So, how much do you have both here in Canada and back home
Me: Quoted an amount in Naija
VO: Sorry I don't understand that. Give me the figure in Canadian dollar
Me: $22900
VO: okay we can round that off to 23k
Me: That's fine
VO: You guys can go have a seat let me prepare your documents. I will call u when they are ready.
Me: Thank you.

We walked briskly back to our seat and sat down. After about 20mins he called us again. Once we got there he handed us the stamped CPRs and he said welcome to Canada. He started explaining how important the CPR document is and adviced us never to lose it. He also gave an explanation on the process to citizenship and our rights as permanent residents. Then he told us to update our address online as soon as we get one that they won't send our PR card to someone else's.

Na so we pack ourselves run comot for there o before bros go change e mind. We went to get boarding passes for our final flight to Edmonton international airport which we boarded the following morning at 7:00am. We arrived Edmonton at 10:00am (Edmonton is 2hrs ahead of Montreal). We were picked at the airport by our host and when we got home we were all tired, ate and went to bed.

Hope our story helps someone coming after us. Canada is very cold o especially this Edmonton. I'm still struggling to adapt to it. The place though is beautiful. The city is well planned and everything works here. We have been trying to settle in after the thanksgiving holidays. We have got SIN and phone lines. Yesterday we went to the welcome centre for immigrants office at Millborough market mall where we had an employment session. We have also applied for Alberta health tho it's still being processed. There is so much work to do but we take it one step at a time.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 2:52am On Oct 13, 2017
edababa007:

Guy, i bin dey find you everywhere ooo.. Did our landing together @ montreal airport..email me here obeadeniyi@gmail.com

My guy hope you arrived Calgary safely. I'd send you an email right away
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:24am On Oct 13, 2017
DatechMan:

Let's talk on whatsapp .

Ok, fine. We can talk on whatsapp.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:49am On Oct 13, 2017
Ballerz:

Send me your GPS location. Need to have a taste of that mashed potatoes. If u don't, I will tell madam to go on kitchen strike for this Winter.
How are you and � family?
GPS location...lol. i dey inside one bush like that for the past few months....madam wey don dey always look for opprtunity to go on kitchen strike before. oga take time ooo...lol

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:55am On Oct 13, 2017
ugoiyke79e:

Hello Salford...I sent u a PM. Kindly check it out. I need some info.
I replied.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ItsYourFriend: 6:42am On Oct 13, 2017
mukhtar4u:

Update on this for those of us upgrading or intend to upgrade for licensing purposes.

After submitting my application on 8th October, it was still showing the documents I need to send but I decided to be patient. On 10th October, it was updated to 'all documents received' and then on 11th October, it has changed to 'all documents reviewed and accepted', completion scheduled for 19th October now.

So I guess our ECA was ICAP all along because they didn't even do any verification from my schools again.
Good
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 13, 2017
edababa007:

.......... Did our landing together @ montreal airport..........

Congratulations! Kindly share your landing experience too. wink smiley

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 9:50am On Oct 13, 2017
To Salford1, Ballerz and other seniors in the house,

...bringing cash into Canada, can I have about CAD9,000 on me and the same amount on my spouse and still not declare? Can't remember exactly where I read about principal applicant and spouse spliting their POFs. I need some clarity on the declaration part please.

Thanks in anticipation of your reponses.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Saintp(m): 11:15am On Oct 13, 2017
I learnt public primary schools are free. Are kindergarten classes also free? If no, what is the average cost?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 11:15am On Oct 13, 2017
freeradical:
. Then he told us to update our address online as soon as we get one that they won't send our PR card to someone else's.

Congratulations brov! May the journey ahead be smooth...Amen!

I've got a question; did you give the VO an address (probably your host's address) and he said they cannot send your PR cards there...? Kindly clarify....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by db23: 12:08pm On Oct 13, 2017
Downtown Toronto

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by db23: 12:10pm On Oct 13, 2017
More Downtown Toronto

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by db23: 12:13pm On Oct 13, 2017
During summer... Waited in line for almost an hour for this popular black coconut and taro (Chinese purple yam) on coconut charcoal cone ice-cream. Tasted good... But won't ever do that again. Worth the Kodak moment tho.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 1:03pm On Oct 13, 2017
db23:
During summer... Waited in line for almost an hour for this popular black coconut and taro (Chinese purple yam) on coconut charcoal cone ice-cream. Tasted good... But won't ever do that again. Worth the Kodak moment tho.

Damn! this ice cream is pretty - I just feel like hanging it on my wall like a décor grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Glowingx: 1:55pm On Oct 13, 2017
grin
Ehrnie:

Damn! this ice cream is pretty - I just feel like hanging it on my wall like a décor grin
grin grin cheesy tongue

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 2:34pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ehrnie:

You're not alone. grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 3:21pm On Oct 13, 2017
salford1:

I replied.

Hi, Sent you a PM.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 3:28pm On Oct 13, 2017
Can anyone please respond? Thanks.
mclarry:

...bringing cash into Canada, can I have about CAD9,000 on me and the same amount on my spouse and still not declare? Can't remember exactly where I read about principal applicant and spouse spliting their POFs. I need some clarity on the declaration part please.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ehrnie:

Congratulations brov! May the journey ahead be smooth...Amen!

I've got a question; did you give the VO an address (probably your host's address) and he said they cannot send your PR cards there...? Kindly clarify....
I gave the VO the address of my host and then he asked if it was mine or someone else's. I told him the truth that I will be spending up to a month at that address. Yet he concluded that they won't send our PR cards to the address. So I will have to update the change of address link as soon as I get an apartment
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:43pm On Oct 13, 2017
mclarry:

Thanks in anticipation of your reponses. Can anyone please respond? Thanks.

As regards landing with cash, you are expected to declare any cash amount with you equal to or greater than $10,000.00. For amount less than that, you will still need to fill in how much you're bringing on the landing/declaration card. Some people split their POF between the PA and spouse for safety reasons lest the whole cash get lost. We've had an instance where someone slept off on the plane, his cash fell out his pockets and it was at the point of declaration after landing, he realized he de-boarded the plane without his cash! It's usually at Nigerian airports some people don't declare all their cash so as to avoid drama from our customs and immigration people but please once you get here, declare all your cash you came with regardless of where you kept it. These people randomly check and they don't joke with under-declaring cash especially with anti-money laundering and terrorism concerns here. Our Naija people are landing here with $100k in cash and it's not a problem if you can prove the source. They are used to seeing Nigerians with big money, it does not faze them. Hope this helps.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tolurigs: 6:25pm On Oct 13, 2017
Ballerz:

Someone called on Sunday and he explained everything. I was not listening. She can explain to you guys. But I know he mentioned Tax laws and then went on to Capstone stages. The cost was about 6k CDN. from ICAN to CPA. His firm picked up about 4,500. So direct cost to him was cushioned.
Yeah,i spoke with his friend and he said I need to get ICAN to send my transcript to whichever province I intend to reside also my first degree as well.Also get letter of good standing from ICAN,he said depending on the province e.g alberta ;you get to write law and tax while in places like Ontario,you write only one (cannot remember the actual one,either tax or law).he said I will be doing two capstone,one will involve group project and the other an exam.from his explanations,i believe ican try too Jare.Hope I've been able to relay the message well.�
Before sending the transcripts,u need to register with the The CPA of whichever province u are heading.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ugoiyke79e: 7:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
salford1:

I replied.
eerrmmmm....I have searched and searched for the reply but haven't seen it.
I resent another please.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Issyman(m): 8:06pm On Oct 13, 2017
tolurigs:

Yeah,i spoke with his friend and he said I need to get ICAN to send my transcript to whichever province I intend to reside also

You do well. I have started researching on the capstones. Also sent mail to CPA Sask. I will also share any info I get from them.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 8:17pm On Oct 13, 2017
freeradical:
I gave the VO the address of my host and then he asked if it was mine or someone else's. I told him the truth that I will be spending up to a month at that address. Yet he concluded that they won't send our PR cards to the address. So I will have to update the change of address link as soon as I get an apartment

Thanks for clarifying brov...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by db23: 9:59pm On Oct 13, 2017
mclarry:

A family travelling together share one landing card, so it won't matter if you split it. So Just declare the money to be safe, you won't get penalised for it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by somegirl1: 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2017
db23:
Downtown Toronto

Nostalgic
I have fond memories of this place.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by db23: 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2017
grin Hence why the line was so long. People literally saw and joined the queue... Lolll

Ehrnie:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 11:00pm On Oct 13, 2017
Blackbuddy, Thanks for your response. Surely it did help to clear my doubts and I'm grateful.

Cheers.
Blackbuddy:

As regards landing with cash, you are expected to declare any cash amount with you equal to or greater than $10,000.00. For amount less than that, you will still need to fill in how much you're bringing on the landing/declaration card. Some people split their POF between the PA and spouse for safety reasons lest the whole cash get lost. We've had an instance where someone slept off on the plane, his cash fell out his pockets and it was at the point of declaration after landing, he realized he de-boarded the plane without his cash! It's usually at Nigerian airports some people don't declare all their cash so as to avoid drama from our customs and immigration people but please once you get here, declare all your cash you came with regardless of where you kept it. These people randomly check and they don't joke with under-declaring cash especially with anti-money laundering and terrorism concerns here. Our Naija people are landing here with $100k in cash and it's not a problem if you can prove the source. They are used to seeing Nigerians with big money, it does not faze them. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 11:02pm On Oct 13, 2017
db23, thanks for your response. I now understand the process of declaring cash.

Cheers.
db23:

A family travelling together share one landing card, so it won't matter if you split it. So Just declare the money to be safe, you won't get penalised for it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tolurigs: 1:31am On Oct 14, 2017
Issyman:

You do well. I have started researching on the capstones. Also sent mail to CPA Sask. I will also share any info I get from them.
Thanks,will be waiting as I intend to land in sask too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.