Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,242 members, 7,807,820 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979626 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 19, 2017
Ballerz:
Guess who just got the word "Congratulations! You have met the Ministry's minimum requirements"
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
All in all, From Nigeria Licence to G license in 4 weeks cost 500 Dollars.
So put that in the budget.
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o

Congratulations! grin wink

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by juliby: 4:25pm On Oct 19, 2017
dupyshoo:
My family PR cards were wrapped with a tiny paper inside one envelope and posted via Canada post to UK. We received the cards after about 1-2 weeks.

Hi Dupyshoo,
i'm new here. I just want to clarify something. I got PPR and look to land in November. I intend to do a soft landing with my family for two weeks and I head out but my family will be staying back in Canada. Is it okay to have my pr card posted to me or get someone to bring it. I just want to find out if there are any challenges to this arrangement.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lalaska(m): 4:35pm On Oct 19, 2017
czaratwork:
I got Airbnb short stay for one week and before the one week expired i signed up residency contract with the landlady so i didnt need to look for accomodation.
Did you get a good deal compared to normal rent considering the apartment is furnished?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dammysanmi(m): 4:48pm On Oct 19, 2017
Where the gbedu dey, make we send entourage grin . I dey see your hand on the FRSC matter, Respekt!
Ballerz:
Guess who just got the word "Congratulations! You have met the Ministry's minimum requirements"
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 6:47pm On Oct 19, 2017
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o

Please was the process again
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bella123(f): 7:53pm On Oct 19, 2017
Congratulations....You earned it!
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by babesummy: 8:34pm On Oct 19, 2017
@Ballerz congrats. Kindly share the PDF copy of the driving license manual with me. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 19, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, it depends. You can land anywhere in Canada and activate your PR but to settle/live, your entry programme matters. If you got PR by Federal ITA, then you can settle anywhere (except Quebec which has their own programmes). If you came in by provincial nomination, then as the name suggests, you are meant to settle in the province that nominated you (atleast until you become a citizen and can relocate). We have had some sad cases of people being denied PR renewal or citizenship and being removed because they relocated away from the province that nominated them to come to Canada. Many people are being misled by people already here who cut corners and use all sorts of tactics to get around the system but as with all things with records, there's always a day of reckoning.

Thanks a lot was helpful

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:33pm On Oct 19, 2017
Congrats. I will send my request shortly. Thank you
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:37pm On Oct 19, 2017
The deal i got was within my budget and i didnt have to look for credit rating
Lalaska:

Did you get a good deal compared to normal rent considering the apartment is furnished?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:57pm On Oct 19, 2017
@ballerz please help me with the page of your years of driving experience format. been looking for it. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 12:13am On Oct 20, 2017
Madir:
Hello friends!
By the way, if there is a Canadians, then advise me how to choose the right company to move across the country? We sell our home and move to another city. I looked at mmovers.ca that offer different companies. Maybe someone used it and knows?

Hi, I got a U-Haul truck and moved my stuff myself when I changed cities and moved to my house in a new city. You can hire your own helping hands/movers off kijiji.ca and save costs that way. Few weeks to my move, I began to box up my stuff so that I was not under pressure by moving day. The morning of the move, we just loaded up the stuff into the U-haul truck and I drove it myself. My family followed in our car and that was it. When my friend moved houses later, a number of us friends came together to move his stuff for him into a Uhaul truck and off load at his house. We didn't have to pay for professional movers. Hope this gives you some ideas.

22 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 12:14am On Oct 20, 2017
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o

Congratulations!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 6:18am On Oct 20, 2017
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o

Ballerz I salut ur excellent "drivemanship" lol. Congrats bro. U have encouraged me greatly. Have been driving here for like 2 weeks but with my Nigerian drivers license. Still scared of the actual driving test But I will draw courage from you now. I sent you an email request...pls reply ur country man abeg. Gracias
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 6:49am On Oct 20, 2017
Congratulations @Ballerz
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 20, 2017
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o

Congratulations!!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 12:39pm On Oct 20, 2017
babesummy:
@Ballerz congrats. Kindly share the PDF copy of the driving license manual with me. Thanks

Send me a mail so that I can respond
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 3:07pm On Oct 20, 2017
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o

Contrasts Bro, you deserve it. grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:08pm On Oct 20, 2017
pauloverdi:

Ballerz I salut ur excellent "drivemanship" lol. Congrats bro. U have encouraged me greatly. Have been driving here for like 2 weeks but with my Nigerian drivers license. Still scared of the actual driving test But I will draw courage from you now. I sent you an email request...pls reply ur country man abeg. Gracias

Have you done the G1 test? If you have, you can no longer use your Nig license or the International license. (Because you are now in the dataBase, other licenses become null and void, says kwasi)

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by babesummy: 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2017
Ballerz:

Send me a mail so that I can respond

How do we send you an email? We don't know your email address. At least I don't.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 6:58pm On Oct 20, 2017
Advice is needed.
I am still awaiting PPR.
I have a first degree in Elect eng. and I have worked for telecom companies as Field Engineer for 4 years. I am single. I want to ask the seniors in the house what the best option to settle down in Canny.
1. Enroll in Msc in a canny university and work alongside then find better job after graduation.
2. Find a job immediately or register for EIT and try to integrate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2017
DatechMan:
Advice is needed.
I am still awaiting PPR.
I have a first degree in Elect eng. and I have worked for telecom companies as Field Engineer for 4 years. I am single. I want to ask the seniors in the house what the best option to settle down in Canny.
1. Enroll in Msc in a canny university and work alongside then find better job after graduation.
2. Find a job immediately or register for EIT and try to integrate.

No one has a crystal ball to see the future. but the first step is to get your PPR, then you are entitled to domestic tuition fees just in case you want to study, you are also eligible to some funds and loans as a PR which you have to pay back later. I don't know if you want to start like this.

As for jobs yeah once u are PR u can apply for most jobs online if you have the skills, and from there you can build more skills and get a better job if needed.

THE important thing might be your finance now, Because in Canada the bills don't pay themselves embarassed if u can come to Canada with like 20K$ upwards u can afford to go to uni and do a masters get a part time job and cope for the duration of your M.Sc. The option of Loan is also there

The most important thing is your PR because you are not restricted by a visa..u can start the masters after 4 months u get a dream job u can live as easy as ABC.

Cheers

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mishooo(m): 8:39pm On Oct 20, 2017
Ballerz:
I just passed my G test.
Yippppe
I dey go celebrate.
Na Baba God do am o
Congratulations man.
But why is it expensive like this? Isnt it $25 for computer test and $55 for Road test??
At least, thats how much it costs in SK. Not sure of other provinces.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 10:14pm On Oct 20, 2017
salford1:

Never worked in the patch even when Alberta was on full steam. I worked office roles(design) in Red deer/Calgary.
When all was good in alberta, you could get your advanced class 5 drivers license, safety certifications from enform in calgary or ndt/power/process operator classes at sait or nait, and that would keep some change in your pocket. You could still research those options as you never can tell. You might still be able to break it in with some certifications.

As per licensing...i gave some info on my earlier post. Much also depends on your discipline. Civil guys without their license are still doing alright if you can break into material testing(not met/mat)...still lots of road maintenance going on with lots of OT.

@Salford: What's the current market for opportunities in design or project management? How does a new arrival get into this space?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 11:03pm On Oct 20, 2017
mishooo:

Congratulations man.
But why is it expensive like this? Isnt it $25 for computer test and $55 for Road test??
At least, thats how much it costs in SK. Not sure of other provinces.

105 = knowledge test
120= 4 driving sessions with instructor
90 = G road test
200 = instructor taking you to test centre on the day of test and gives about an hour session through the routes and telling you the speed limit etc. Like mock sha. This 200 ranges from 100 - 200. Depending on the distance of location to test centre.

16 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:19pm On Oct 20, 2017
salford1:
Nothing much going on in this village. This is the main street.pic 1 is the main street, almost dead.

pic 2 is the road leading to the village. Untarred gravel road.

he called this orderly, well laid out, well spaced, clean looking abode, village! oga salford1 please you must finish what you started o, cos after seeing this I dont know what to call my village anymore. what do i call it? wilderness? woods?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 11:30pm On Oct 20, 2017
einsteino:

he called this orderly, well laid out, well spaced, clean looking abode, village! oga salford1 please you must finish what you started o, cos after seeing this I dont know what to call my village anymore. what do i call it? wilderness? woods?

call it igbo irumole... shocked shocked shocked shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:59am On Oct 21, 2017
Ballerz:

I be ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole grin

Congrats on your drivers license. You must be car shopping by now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:14am On Oct 21, 2017
A555:

@Salford: What's the current market for opportunities in design or project management? How does a new arrival get into this space?
The market is still doing okay. Lots of jobs in designs/PM. Nothing is built or constructed without a design from very simple ones to large complex ones. Designs and PM go hand in hand as one takes ownership from the start till project is completed.

To get into this space, you need to know the popular software used in your industry in Canada in addition to your license to practice or EIT. Once you get into more senior roles, then you become more of a people manager plus checking and stamping of designs.

Your job of course would not be solely designs. You would also be required to complete quotations/estimations, conduct site visits, obtain permits, agreements, liase with contractors/stakeholders and attends lots and lots of meetings depending on size of project.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 6:50am On Oct 21, 2017
Ballerz:

grin grin abi o

(1) (2) (3) ... (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.