Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979982 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lagosrd: 10:27pm On May 24, 2017
maternal:

Go to whichever city can provide you with a good paying professional job period. This notion of "good to raise a young family" is overrated. Anywhere you go in Canada has good schools and social service/benefits for children. Your kids will be fine. With them being young, they'll be fine in the future. You've brought them to Canada where they can prosper with hard work, what else can a parent do ? The parents, who are much older and only have X years to stabilize their future in this country, should start to worrying about themselves more. Your years are numbered to prosper here, your kids aren't. So I say go anywhere that offers you the best opportunity financially. Buy a house, car,etc, and start living. Your kids will adapt. When you get a better feel for the country/ specific area, then move.

What more can I say...... God bless you maternal and all those who made that guy's trip a success. Including every other person on this tread. I am coming up too soon.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 7:47am On May 25, 2017
Maternal, nice one. Thanks

Salford, why do they keep hiding your posts? Email the admin.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by philip3(m): 3:44pm On May 25, 2017
@maternal

Just wondering why there seem to be few posts on information on British Columbia.

Do you have any idea what the place is like?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gymme(m): 6:06pm On May 25, 2017
I did reply your previous post explaining the benefits one gets living in British Columbia but some powers 'behind' removed the post.

philip3:
@maternal

Just wondering why there seem to be few posts on information on British Columbia.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 11:22pm On May 25, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:
Maternal, nice one. Thanks

Salford, why do they keep hiding your posts? Email the admin.
spambot. I was actually replying that St Albert is very close to edmonton...so asking about living in St Albert is same as asking about living in Edmonton.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:42am On May 26, 2017
philip3:
@maternal

I have never lived there, but it's all personal preference. High cost of living, high taxes, along with constant rain. Not my type of place really.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by philip3(m): 7:26am On May 26, 2017
Gymme:
I did reply your previous post explaining the benefits one gets living in British Columbia but some powers 'behind' removed the post.

haha, powers that be.

could you be so kind to re post?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nikkycool(f): 12:08pm On May 26, 2017
philip3:

haha, powers that be.

Hello house,please do you happen to know anything about Morden in Manitoba?I mean their immigration process and anything about the city.Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gymme(m): 7:07pm On May 26, 2017
Having read from the beginning of this forum, my mind is set on pointing out that Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are not the only provinces for new immigrants to move to. Haba!!! The Atlantic provinces are there too. British Columbia has an economy that ALL provinces are envious of: Balanced budget for the past 5 years. VANCOUVER is the only city i won't advise anyone to move to. There are many other economically-sound cities in BC: Kelowna, Abbotsford, Kamloops, Prince George etc.

I just don't get it why new immigrants tend to move to those popularly condensed cities where few jobs are chased by SO MANY qualified applicants. Plus the living expenses there is on a high side.

Well, you can say 'it is better to go to a place where there are Nigerians or people with similar background'. There are Nigerians in smaller/medium-sized cities. There is no city in the world you won't see a Nigerian and/or a Chinese. Quote me!

You can call me team small city or medium-sized city. Why go to those cities where you spend all your hard earned foreign currency (naira in this case), barely get a good job (probably not in your field because you need to do some certifications etc), pay high rent, even pay school fees (for those that have kids).

Talking about schools for kids. A friend that lives in Calgary pays about $18k to send ONE child to school while we pay NOTHING on kids schooling here (a medium-sized city in British Columbia and 'probably' cities with similar sizes). The glare reason is because the population in those 'bigger' cities is more than public school capacity there and as such, private schools excel. Please know that public schools are more preferred here because most private schools are for religious setting.

So bro @Philip3 and others, British Columbia is a province you can move to too or better still, as a new immigrant, why not move to a place with medium-size, acclimatize yourself (and family) to your new environment/culture. Afterwards, you move to wherever you want if you need to relocate. Not a fan of going to bigger cities because of 'popularity' then do some menial jobs JUST to survive. BC is a province i love and will continue to love because no city is extremely populated than others EXCEPT Vancouver and that is basically because of the weather (they hardly experience SNOW, for those that don't like snow).

In the end, it is a matter of adequate information and personal choice.

philip3:

haha, powers that be.

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 1:29am On May 27, 2017
Gymme:
Having read from the beginning of this forum, my mind is set on pointing out that Alberta, Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are not the only provinces for new immigrants to move to. Haba!!! The Atlantic provinces are there too. British Columbia has an economy that ALL provinces are envious of: Balanced budget for the past 5 years. VANCOUVER is the only city i won't advise anyone to move to. There are many other economically-sound cities in BC: Kelowna, Abbotsford, Kamloops, Prince George etc.

I just don't get it why new immigrants tend to move to those popularly condensed cities where few jobs are chased by SO MANY qualified applicants. Plus the living expenses there is on a high side.

Well, you can say 'it is better to go to a place where there are Nigerians or people with similar background'. There are Nigerians in smaller/medium-sized cities. There is no city in the world you won't see a Nigerian and/or a Chinese. Quote me!

You can call me team small city or medium-sized city. Why go to those cities where you spend all your hard earned foreign currency (naira in this case), barely get a good job (probably not in your field because you need to do some certifications etc), pay high rent, even pay school fees (for those that have kids).

Talking about schools for kids. A friend that lives in Calgary pays about $18k to send ONE child to school while we pay NOTHING on kids schooling here (a medium-sized city in British Columbia and 'probably' cities with similar sizes). The glare reason is because the population in those 'bigger' cities is more than public school capacity there and as such, private schools excel. Please know that public schools are more preferred here because most private schools are for religious setting.

So bro @Philip3 and others, British Columbia is a province you can move to too or better still, as a new immigrant, why not move to a place with medium-size, acclimatize yourself (and family) to your new environment/culture. Afterwards, you move to wherever you want if you need to relocate. Not a fan of going to bigger cities because of 'popularity' then do some menial jobs JUST to survive. BC is a province i love and will continue to love because no city is extremely populated than others EXCEPT Vancouver and that is basically because of the weather (they hardly experience SNOW, for those that don't like snow).

In the end, it is a matter of adequate information and personal choice.

Its all on personal choice and planning, its not easy for new immigrants as sometimes you have stuffs like house lease of one year..So planning ahead and a bit of luck helps, first is to have decent amount of money when you coming, especially if you have a family. So you wont enter panic mode like I did.

Also go for where the job is , landed in Saskatchewan and in less than 3 weeks got a job so moved to Ottawa... and when you settle you might find it hard to want to move , based on lease , furniture and co...

So except u have a strong preference..settle anywhere comfortable temporarily then go to where u get a good job, if u have family consider that too.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 11:25pm On May 27, 2017
Hi,

To those who have recently gotten PR and travelled, did you travel on a one-way ticket? I keep hearing that you will not be allowed to travel (on some flights) using a one-way ticket.

Any other person in the house with info can help too.

Thanks

@Fusion23 @Vcole @Nadina @Zandora
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jesusbaby01: 2:07am On May 28, 2017
XX01:

Hi. Sorry to jump in like this but i would like to know if you had to take your kids with you for all the registration and picking up cards or one person can do it on behalf of all.

What age can kids start proper school? Can they go to just any school or it has to be around where you live? If your kid is young for a class will he still continue in the class he was in Nigeria or will they step him down? Can one get part time whilst getting more certifications? Thanks a lot.

Well I don't have kids but for some of the registration like getting health cards and SIN you might need to take them with you, but for your knowledge test for driving and some other adult stuff like banking you don't need to. i think School starts at age 5 here. but there are day centers like our Nigerian daycare... Also when getting a house try to take a good look at the environment for parks cos you'd need good parks for your kids. Go to downtown calgary there are quite a number of immigrant serving agencies to help out

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 4:42am On May 28, 2017
(
Pinkygrace:

I don't have PR yet , but I am on study permit. My friend husband is doing nursing after first degree ( med lab). He is doing the 2 years RN program at York university Toronto ( will be done by August) and he got OSAP(Ontario student Assistant program) for the program. I know he did some psychology periquisite at Trent or online.

What information do you need exactly I can help ask.

Hi dear, been following up with the thread and tryna see if you were still able to get the info from your husband. My wife has a background in medlab but desires nursing in canada. Someone had told us about the 19months program at york uni and said she has a chance since has a good GPA.

I am still researching and just want to know if she has to do prerequisite courses first. Did your hubby choose Ontario as his province or he immigrated through other means? Also is OSAP still on and is it grants they give or loans?

Will be glad if you can give some info you know, Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 9:38am On May 28, 2017
eddycross:
Hi,

To those who have recently gotten PR and travelled, did you travel on a one-way ticket? I keep hearing that you will not be allowed to travel (on some flights) using a one-way ticket.

Thanks

Its always a one way ticket for most airline, because of your visa. have not heard otherwise.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jesusbaby01: 1:28pm On May 28, 2017
[quote author=eddycross post=56943117]Hi,

Thanks

I travelled on a one way ticket. using Lufthansa and i know people who have travelled on Egyptair, ethiopian airlines on one way ticket. Your visa and copr is the proof of your status

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eddycross(m): 2:47pm On May 28, 2017
jesusbaby01:

I travelled on a one way ticket. using Lufthansa and i know people who have travelled on Egyptair, ethiopian airlines on one way ticket. Your visa and copr is the proof of your status

Fusion23:

Its always a one way ticket for most airline, because of your visa. have not heard otherwise.

Thank you very much for this confirmation.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 7:10pm On May 28, 2017
ellad2k4eva:
hello all,

I had like to seek some answers on this thread,but before asking my questions, I had like to appreciate all and say a big thank you for everyone that contributed on this thread, you guys are amazing. thank you.

my questions;

1. I am an IT professional with 3 years IT support experience in enterprise application. I currently work for an Indian IT company as a regional technical support. what are my chances of getting a good IT job in Canada with my nigeria bsc certificate plus a Microsoft certified professional certificate and what provinces or city has the best opportunity when it comes to IT jobs?

2. though I will be applying with my family of 3,me inclusive. how possible is it after visa has been Granted for me to travel there alone and settle down before bringing my family over when I have got a good job. will they allow Me fly alone without my family i applied with?

3. how long does the whole PR application process take as I plan on using an agent. which is advisable, arget or DIY?
if agent, please recommend, if DIY, please recommend sites for good material to get started with

4. what are my chances of my visa being accepted as I have exhasted all my savings on some important family matters. as at now, I practically has no savings

thank you.

PS: for people that will advise i stick with my current job, don't get carried away by my current job title as its more of a ceremonial title,the pay can make you cry
1. IT is still good in Canada. Toronto, Ontario is number 1 for IT jobs. Your Bsc certificate wouldn't carry much weight .. your experience and professional certificate would matter most.
2. You as the principal applicant would have to complete your landing first irrespective of if you all land together or not. You would have a time limit for everyone to complete the landing process though, and your family can return to Nigeria when pr card has been received, but they cant be away for more than 2years in 5.
3. Agents does not determine how fast your application would be completed. Much depends on visa office and personal circumstances of candidates. Things seems to be faster now due to the express tag. There is a thread on nairaland dedicated for just that. i.e DIY.
4. Bros..you need money. Not only for savings or to fulfil application conditions, but for your first 6months of survival on average in Canada.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:11am On May 29, 2017
Someone asked about moving around with kids n school age.....can't remember who.
Well, you need your kid(s) with you for most of your documentation like for landing, SIN, health card, etc.
However if you do not intend to take your kid(s) along for other things such as opening a bank account for yourself, you would have to make proper arrangements for care for them unless you have family or friends to do so.

Compulsory schooling starts at 5yrs for kindergarten and 6yrs for grade one. 3-4yrs is preschool age and is optional and not part of the public school system. You can opt to keep your child at home till 5yrs or enrol in a daycare, dayhome or preschool all of which are privately owned and therefore you get to pay.
Your child has to have attained the age for the class by Dec 31st of the school year. So for instance, if your child is to start grade one by Sept 2017, he or she should turn 6 on or before Dec 31st 2017.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jesusbaby01: 3:54am On May 29, 2017
salford:

Accomodation wise, Regina is just a bit cheaper than Calgary. Winters are colder than Calgary. There are less things to do compared to Calgary.

I dont know which areas are termed highbrow in Regina..just here for work, and I try to keep my cost low by sharing flats. Family still resides in Calgary cos we have friends and family around to support each other especially with regards to child minding. Generally, i would say anywhere in Regina is okay except the North Central area.

I have driven through the NC alot of times, all i see are just drunk people.lol.But people believe the area is notorious. The type of alcoholics one sees on Calgary trains at night. Talking about ctrain. To all coming to Calgary. Its better to resist the temptation to jaywalk around the downtown area, it attracts a fine of $150 dollars per person i.e if the fine has not be increased.lol

The crime in Calgary these days is actually higher than Regina. Almost everyweek, there is someone getting shot in Calgary or Red Deer. Three cruisers sped past me on my way to Regina this morning.. it was later reported that two persons where shot dead in a parking lot (SE Calgary) around the time i saw the cruisers. I can only link it to the rise of fentanyl abuse and the high rate of job loss in the Calgary area. Been in Regina for over one year and no report of someone killed by a gun or knife yet.

i saw this on my way back from work yesterday. The guy slept all through the 42min train ride and we all left him on the train when we got off. I also saw another on Victoria day dead drunk at the entrance of walmart at westbrook mall. female dead drunk around 3pm broad daylight. i hear dem first nations shoplift mouth wash and get high on it. Weird i must say, Nice pics

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 4:33am On May 29, 2017
jesusbaby01:

i saw this on my way back from work yesterday. The guy slept all through the 42min train ride and we all left him on the train when we got off. I also saw another on Victoria day dead drunk at the entrance of walmart at westbrook mall. female dead drunk around 3pm broad daylight. i hear dem first nations shoplift mouth wash and get high on it. Weird i must say, Nice pics
Thanks.
It's sad really. There is a reserve not very far from westbrook mall, so they hang out there a lot. There are a good number of them doing really well though (apart from the metis). I feel they lack good role models.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 4:39am On May 29, 2017
vcole:
You can opt to keep your child at home till 5yrs or enrol in a daycare, dayhome or preschool all of which are privately owned and therefore you get to pay.
This is the reason i feel its better to land initially at a town/city where one can get some sort of support (no matter how little) with regards to kids. Childcare is costly, and it is sometimes difficult to get a place.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 7:35am On May 29, 2017
Thanks guys.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 12:17pm On May 29, 2017
salford:

1. IT is still good in Canada. Toronto, Ontario is number 1 for IT jobs. Your Bsc certificate wouldn't carry much weight .. your experience and professional certificate would matter most.
2. You as the principal applicant would have to complete your landing first irrespective of if you all land together or not. You would have a time limit for everyone to complete the landing process though, and your family can return to Nigeria when pr card has been received, but they cant be away for more than 2years in 5.
3. Agents does not determine how fast your application would be completed. Much depends on visa office and personal circumstances of candidates. Things seems to be faster now due to the express tag. There is a thread on nairaland dedicated for just that. i.e DIY.
4. Bros..you need money. Not only for savings or to fulfil application conditions, but for your first 6months of survival on average in Canada.

What is accomodation and cost of living like in Toronto?
I am looking for a school for masters in iT SECURITY. please suggest. If I can get in Toronto good if not there is MITS in UOIT. Please suggestions are welcomed.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bozoris: 1:55pm On May 29, 2017
What about brewery jobs. Are there breweries over there?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Trikings2000: 6:11pm On May 29, 2017
Bozoris:
What about brewery jobs. Are there breweries over there?

I saw ur default email thru nairaland. U can contact me

Regards.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cala: 6:51pm On May 29, 2017
Hello All,

Please is there anyone living in Halifax, Nova Scotia? I'll be landing in July so I'm hoping to get tips on accommodation and employment. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 7:10am On May 30, 2017
Cala:
Hello All,

Please is there anyone living in Halifax, Nova Scotia? I'll be landing in July so I'm hoping to get tips on accommodation and employment. Thanks
Only thing I know about Halifax is that rents starts counting from the 1st of the month regardless of when you move in. So it'll be good to land close to the end of the month,sort accommodation and move in 1st week of the new month.I have a colleague there, says its really beautiful, calm and not so expensive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rapahel1116: 8:46am On May 30, 2017
BT Canada get funny name of States oh.....ju mango tink say na China de bear Ottawa ,Ontario ....lolx

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.