Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,802 members, 7,806,237 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979138 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 4:35pm On Dec 10, 2017
Alberta and Nova Scotia i believe.

shadetwins:
Good day ALL,
Happy sunday, I have a quick question; considering the 3 month wait for health care, which province can a PREGNANT woman land and not have to wait for 3 months before securing a health care? pls this is urgent. all responses will be appreciated

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beube: 7:30pm On Dec 10, 2017
Please i want to ask a very funny question but i really desire to know the truth.
Is it worth coming to canada if u have a job in naija and earn average well
How easy is it to get a job in my field basic telecoms job,
How easy is it to settle.
Whats the best region to settle.
Will i get a better job path if i come.
Many questions on mind, because am almost giving up on this journey with the many stories of no jobs over there and u not been able to save anything from ur income. I heard u spend all ur salaries on bills. Please i want to know the crystal truth abeg
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 8:36pm On Dec 10, 2017
Beube:
Please i want to ask a very funny question but i really desire to know the truth.
Many questions on mind, because am almost giving up on this journey with the many stories of no jobs over there and u not been able to save anything from ur income. I heard u spend all ur salaries on bills. Please i want to know the crystal truth abeg

What's the range of that "average well"? 600k-800k/ month?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ItsYourFriend: 8:42pm On Dec 10, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

May I answer, yes...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 8:55pm On Dec 10, 2017
ItsYourFriend:
May I answer, yes...

Well, it depends on what you want in life? Money, sane environment, clean air, good healthcare system, functional society and co. My cousin is a branch manager in one of the banks in Nigeria and she is also planning to relocate to Canada. She would rather live in a sane country with slightly good pay than the huge amount she makes in naija. To each their own.

Don't you trust in your ability to compete for and get good job in Canada?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bawss1(m): 9:04pm On Dec 10, 2017
Beube:

It appears now that coming to Canada is a fad among the middle class and below in Nigeria. If you are doing OK at home or are happy with the future you can build for yourself there why would you want to relocate to a place with a different culture and climate? Nigeria may not be the easiest place to live in but with focus and determination, as is required in every country in the world, maybe a little more, you can build a life that you find fulfilling there.

With that said, immigrating to Canada should be for very specific reasons and not because all the cool kids are doing it. Those reasons will inform the areas where one settles and there are many of such areas. Canada offers living standards and opportunities that are among the best in the world today and the ease of settlement for immigrants is usually a factor of the research, planning and drive of said immigrants. There are many who have settled successfully and are making amazing strides in the careers and personal lives and there are those who are struggling.

In the end, relocating is a personal project, one that should only be embarked upon after detailed research and planning. The challenges one may face, if any, are not a deterrent to those with the proper drive and knowledge.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ItsYourFriend: 9:46pm On Dec 10, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

Well, it depends on what you want in life? Money, sane environment, clean air, good healthcare system, functional society and co. My cousin is a branch manager in one of the banks in Nigeria and she is also planning to relocate to Canada. She would rather live in a sane country with slightly good pay than the huge amount she makes in naija. To each their own.

Don't you trust in your ability to compete for and get good job in Canada?
I consider your line of reasoning to be well thought out. I'm least bothered about the job anyway because it will come with a good plan in place. Like you, the living standard there, kids' future and then the gratification that comes with it. Those are good pointers and drivers. Of course the job will come as a breeze! You have spoken well.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beube: 10:04pm On Dec 10, 2017
CanadianEnginee:

like 200-300k
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:04pm On Dec 10, 2017
Bawss1:

It appears now that coming to Canada is a fad among the middle class and below in Nigeria. If you are doing OK at home or are happy with the future you can build for yourself there why would you want to relocate to a place with a different culture and climate? Nigeria may not be the easiest place to live in but with focus and determination, as is required in every country in the world, maybe a little more, you can build a life that you find fulfilling there.

With that said, immigrating to Canada should be for very specific reasons and not because all the cool kids are doing it. Those reasons will inform the areas where one settles and there are many of such areas. Canada offers living standards and opportunities that are among the best in the world today and the ease of settlement for immigrants is usually a factor of the research, planning and drive of said immigrants. There are many who have settled successfully and are making amazing strides in the careers and personal lives and there are those who are struggling.

In the end, relocating is a personal project, one that should only be embarked upon after detailed research and planning. The challenges one may face, if any, are not a deterrent to those with the proper drive and knowledge.

I have to agree with you...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beube: 10:09pm On Dec 10, 2017
bbaby84:

I have to agree with you...

Hmmm, this canada journey is a long one but i wuld like to ask what is the average salary for a telecoms guy over there and what is the prospects for career growth and pay rise
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 10:56pm On Dec 10, 2017
Beube:
like 200-300k
����
Bro, please.

Do take your time to read about benefits of immigrating to Canada. You can visit quota to get people's experiences or even some experiences of our seniors here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:04pm On Dec 10, 2017
Smile4mee01:
Hello everyone.

I am hoping to re locate to canada early 2018. Either as a student or PR. I am currently a banker in nigeria, 33 yrs , single , male, reasonably comfortable. I am not in a serious relationship but would love to be in one and hopefully get married soon. I am wondering if my decision to relocate would affect my prospects of being married soon. There is a female colleague of mine I have been thinking of, but don't want to commit to it then travel away. So i don't break anybody heart.

Please let me know your thought.
This one na matters of the heart. Its best you ask those newspaper people. They are experts. I can also refer you to Ego of inspiration FM.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:15pm On Dec 10, 2017
Smile4mee01:
Hello everyone.

I am hoping to re locate to canada early 2018. Either as a student or PR. I am currently a banker in nigeria, 33 yrs , single , male, reasonably comfortable. I am not in a serious relationship but would love to be in one and hopefully get married soon. I am wondering if my decision to relocate would affect my prospects of being married soon. There is a female colleague of mine I have been thinking of, but don't want to commit to it then travel away. So i don't break anybody heart.

Please let me know your thought.

On a more serious note find out how long it takes to process your spouse's application if you are not able to conclude the transaction before your relocation and ask yourself if you can wait. If yes then i will suggest you initiate the process immediately.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daremum(m): 11:47pm On Dec 10, 2017
Emphasis on proper drive and knowledge!

Bawss1:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 11:51pm On Dec 10, 2017
Beube:

No sane person who's doing well in their country would even consider migrating. The fact you're thinking about migrating says a lot. Why not tell us what's disturbing you about naija then we can go from there. Help me help you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 5:15am On Dec 11, 2017
This statement is relative. Many people that I know that migrated this year are doing very very well in Nigeria but want their Wife and Kids settled there. Though i get the point you are driving at.
maternal:

No sane person who's doing well in their country would even consider migrating. The fact you're thinking about migrating says a lot. Why not tell us what's disturbing you about naija then we can go from there. Help me help you.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beube: 5:56am On Dec 11, 2017
maternal:

Right now am not doing bad at all in terms of finance and thats why i have money to make this journey. What am worried about is the future, if my job ends in naija today to get another may be tough, gratuity, pension ,exposure in my field, better pay package, skill sets, health, and the likes thats what drives me. But when i hear when u get down to canada u are not likely to get a job, then when you get a job i leart u are not likely to be able to save up to $600 then am like whats so rosy over there if u cant get more box. Then i hear 90% of ur income is spent on bills. Then am like what of the projects i intend to do. Its tough to leave a known world to an unknown world. I earn above 200k in naija o

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:17am On Dec 11, 2017
yokus:
This statement is relative. Many people that I know that migrated this year are doing very very well in Nigeria but want their Wife and Kids settled there. Though i get the point you are driving at.
You are right. Migrating to Canada is costly. Alot of times, those making the move are usually the well settled and comfortable ones in naija.
Lots of family like that in Calgary...the husband would live kids and wife here and return to naija. There is a family I know living in Aspen Woods. Aspen is like the Ikoyi of Calgary. The husband bought a house in Aspen, left wife and kids in Calgary, then returned to naija to continue his work in the Oil industry. The wife does not even have to work as enough pepper dey flow in from naija. All kids attend private schools in Calgary too.

Just like the poster on page 149 that earns 2million naira after tax (circa $7k). Even by Canadian standard, that is a lot of money to earn after tax...I would really think hard to quit that kind of job in naija and pack up to Canada...lol.

People just want the best for their family aslong as they can afford the luxury.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seunadeolu(m): 6:27am On Dec 11, 2017
gbam
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:31am On Dec 11, 2017
Beube:

Right now am not doing bad at all in terms of finance and thats why i have money to make this journey. What am worried about is the future, if my job ends in naija today to get another may be tough, gratuity, pension ,exposure in my field, better pay package, skill sets, health, and the likes thats what drives me. But when i hear when u get down to canada u are not likely to get a job, then when you get a job i leart u are not likely to be able to save up to $600 then am like whats so rosy over there if u cant get more box. Then i hear 90% of ur income is spent on bills. Then am like what of the projects i intend to do. Its tough to leave a known world to an unknown world. I earn above 200k in naija o

200k is about 700 Canadian dollars per month. Small boys here would laugh at that. As for the success you'd have here, I am not God. Are you afraid to compete ? Or do you expect to become Prime Minister the following day once you land ? Federal election is in 2 years. Come quick and campaign. Stop listening to people and do your own research as well. And if you're going to listen to people, listen to the success ones who are on the grind. Don't listen to bad belle people who couldn't make it. Lastly, if someone is spending 90% of their salary on bills, they're living above their means. But all these bills you keep on talking about. I guess gen, fuel, water, school fees, food, phone credit, etc is free abi ?

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:34am On Dec 11, 2017
salford1:

You are right. Migrating to Canada is costly. Alot of times, those making the move are usually the well settled and comfortable ones in naija.
Lots of family like that in Calgary...the husband would live kids and wife here and return to naija. There is a family I know living in Aspen Woods. Aspen is like the Ikoyi of Calgary. The husband bought a house in Aspen, left wife and kids in Calgary, then returned to naija to continue his work in the Oil industry. The wife does not even have to work as enough pepper dey flow in from naija. All kids attend private schools in Calgary too.

Just like the poster on page 149 that earns 2million naira after tax (circa $7k). Even by Canadian standard, that is a lot of money to earn after tax...I would really think hard to quit that kind of job in naija and pack up to Canada...lol.

People just want the best for their family aslong as they can afford the luxury.

I know a family like that. But the marriage will inevitably dissolve through the long distance relationship. Something would eventually have to give.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lavivaavril(f): 6:46am On Dec 11, 2017
shadetwins:
Good day ALL,
Happy sunday, I have a quick question; considering the 3 month wait for health care, which province can a PREGNANT woman land and not have to wait for 3 months before securing a health care? pls this is urgent. all responses will be appreciated

Hello there! Your decision on what province to land shouldn’t be based on the fact that you’re pregnant. I personally think your professional field and job prospects should determine the province you choose. If you decide to land in a province that has the 3 months government insurance eligibility, taking Ontario as an example, there are community hospitals and clinics that cater to the uninsured and new immigrants not yet eligible for OHIP. These hospitals will treat you free or at a low cost if you require treatments. As for antenatal, they are free. Just contact the hospital in your community according to your postal code and they can even schedule you for a doctors appointment same day.
Try and do some research and choose a province where you and/or your spouse have greatest chances of landing good jobs and growing professionally.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by enesty(m): 7:14am On Dec 11, 2017
please is the migration to Canada service quick assessment cve the same with what is been talked about here.i registered for a Canadian immigration service cve and they do send me mails almost everyday asking me to pay for assessment and that migration is free.i want to know if it's still same immigration that been talked about on this platform. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 11, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:19am On Dec 11, 2017
maternal:

I know a family like that. But the marriage will inevitably dissolve through the long distance relationship. Something would eventually have to give.

Are you the one in the marriage or is that your prayer for them? How can you state something so negative so categorically?

People make sacrifices for their families, especially their children on a daily basis and it is simply the business of the couple who have decided this is the personal sacrifice they will put in for their children. You do not know the foundation of their marriage and have no clue what they are about so to state categorically that their marriage will inevitably dissolve or to wish them such ill is just wicked and nasty.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Arielle: 8:26am On Dec 11, 2017
maternal:

You are so right. It would take massive commitment and super human discipline for the relationship to survive. I know a couple doing that and all is not really well with them. But going by the naija style of marriage, they're still together and that's what matters.
It sounds doable though, if the couple have a plan and a schedule from the onset and give themselves a limit for living apart. And adopt the 'don't ask don't tell' (and don't snoop) policy. Like someone said here, Canada is too cold. � And a lot of naija babes can be pretty determined. Young guy, banking or oil money, big empty house and no madam. Done deal!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 8:53am On Dec 11, 2017
I just tire my Sis. I read it, shook my head and jumped pass. I can't even fathom how one can come to such a conclusion so confidently.

Bsbabe:

Are you the one in the marriage or is that your prayer for them? How can you state something so negative so categorically?

People make sacrifices for their families, especially their children on a daily basis and it is simply the business of the couple who have decided this is the personal sacrifice they will put in for their children. You do not know the foundation of their marriage and have no clue what they are about so to state categorically that their marriage will inevitably dissolve or to wish them such ill is just wicked and nasty.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by threadstone(m): 8:58am On Dec 11, 2017
TEECANN:

Congratulations once again on your recently earned PPR/COPR

It's definitely ending in praise!

Thank you. I hope to hear your good news soon as well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 9:12am On Dec 11, 2017
Blackbuddy:

I've replied chief smiley

Received with thanks. I appreciate you bro. cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 9:18am On Dec 11, 2017
yokus:
I just tire my Sis. I read it, shook my head and jumped pass. I can't even fathom how one can come to such a conclusion so confidently.

Ok, how can 2 people who live in different continents remain married ? A financially comfortable dude living in the land of mosquitoes ( desperate girls) at that. My landlord and my boss have their wives in Europe while they are here (in Nigeria) philandering. Is that one marriage? Maternal said the truth undiluted. Is it now a crime to see the truth and shout it they way it is?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 9:46am On Dec 11, 2017
You just took the words right out of my mouth. It upsets me when people, especially Nigerians residing in North America, complain bitterly about the bills they are required to pay, like a lot of responsible and fairly comfortable people in Nigeria don't also have to pay these bills. Such individuals need to understand that we also pay electricity bills (for a service that is often not provided), phone bills (either prepaid or postpaid), quite expensive rent (Lagos, Abuja and PH standard), taxes (I work in the oil industry and have to pay circa 23% income tax monthly), 8% pension contribution, car payment (monthly, after an initial payment of 35% of the total cost of the car) and the expensive cost of living in Nigeria that cannot be envisaged in any way, such that miscellaneous expenses for a certain month could skyrocket out of control. Even after paying the huge taxes, you still have to provide your own security, make contributions to the development of your community (waiting for the Nigerian government is a wait in futility), provide healthcare (God help you if you are unemployed or if your employer does not provide quality coverage) and so many others. What I have realised is that a lot of these people who complain about bills abroad either lived in terrible situations in Nigeria (and didn't understand the reality of fairly comfortable working class families) or had other people shoulder their responsibility when they were still in Nigeria. Learning to save from one's income is also a personal decision which requires some type of sacrifice and discipline, regardless of what the individual earns.

In my opinion, making comparisons between staying back in Nigeria or relocating to any country in the world, not just Canada, is a personal decision that often has to do with your level of exposure, what you want out of life and your future goals. The 200k he is talking about does not even cover my rent for a month in Lagos, hence only an individual can conveniently weigh the pros and cons of their personal situation to make the decision to relocate. While I haven't lived in Canada, I'm certain that a hardworking cleaner can make at least twice as much as 200k a month. Such a prudent and realistic cleaner would eventually do better than they were probably able to achieve in Nigeria.
maternal:

200k is about 700 Canadian dollars per month. Small boys here would laugh at that. As for the success you'd have here, I am not God. Are you afraid to compete ? Or do you expect to become Prime Minister the following day once you land ? Federal election is in 2 years. Come quick and campaign. Stop listening to people and do your own research as well. And if you're going to listen to people, listen to the success ones who are on the grind. Don't listen to bad belle people who couldn't make it. Lastly, if someone is spending 90% of their salary on bills, they're living above their means. But all these bills you keep on talking about. I guess gen, fuel, water, school fees, food, phone credit, etc is free abi ?

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 10:20am On Dec 11, 2017
Beube:

maternal:

Maternal has said it all.

Bro, if it is 200k/mth that you are really earning in here in naija, please don't even bother, just pack your luggage and move immediately to Canny soon as you get your CoPR....I was waiting to read 1million naira/month from you grin...and even at that, guys that I know that are within 1million/month salary region are not even thinking it twice. In Lagos, living within decent standards, 900k-1million/month is just barely covering the mammoth list of expenses and family responsibilities that you have to contend with, so much that these my guys with that type of inflows are still complaining like small boys like us. grin grin

@Beube, how many kids do you have and what is your NOC and job experience area? Drop these info and I can say some things more...however, my bro, on expense for expense, quality of life for quality of life (including the kids' future), suffering for suffering...generally speaking, I guarantee you, you will be better of on the long run in Canada, If you can weather that 1st 10months to 1 year, then you are in! (None of my friends that have left returned out of not being able to survive, that says something. grin grin)

On the job issue, trust your God and your abilities...don't expect an immediate miracle (it may happen though), plan for 10-12 months of "no job" period in Canada...fill this time with a strategically lined up activities to engage yourself in, which should be directed at your getting a job before the expiration of that waiting period.

Go to Canada with savings ready for the first 10 months for rent, feeding and other basic utilities for your family.

Regarding the bolded above, I laugh.... grin grin grin. Nigerians and "projects" and this really got me thinking....Hmmmm

Let me ask you a question, what makes us do the things we do in this part of the world?- our type of society!

Most of us grew to know that the system does not have a social buffer/fall back for us...nothing! So when God finally answer our prayers and we get a job, we start the rat race....acquire, acquire, acquire...lands, start building, build more, buy more lands, never having a life of relaxation and enjoyment at any point in time, no specially planned family vacation, not really doing what we love to do at any point in time...some even console themselves that they are doing the several projects so that their children will not suffer...all these are understandable because of the peculiarities of our society...

Whenever I talk with friends on this Canny hustle, I always advice.. whenever you cross over to Canada, "Try to question your Nigerian Acquired Value systems...what makes you do what you have always known to be what to do? Is it right?, Is it fueled by fear of the unknown? or that wanton Blackman's egoistic gratifications? Why do we chase after so much material acquisitions and millions here? Will all these Nigerian Acquired Valuesystem be necessary where the system (Canny) is working and has your back in the event of a worse case scenario?

Take the opportunity of this relocation and a re-starting of life, to re-choose our life preferences, query what drives us--to amass the millions, wanting to oppress and show off or what? Rebuild your valuesystem in line with sane society best practices, volunteer your time in a cause you are passionate about, help people consciously (go out of your way to exhibit those fine behaviors and integrity known with most oyinbos, consciously do these to make them become part of you because from home, it is not naturally in our DNA to do these)...our kids will generally be on a good path civility-wise by virtue of that environment but we also have a duty to guide them properly with the good parts of our African traditional values (not everything from our society is bad, our culture is rich and imbibing it is beautiful! cheesy)

(WHEN you reevaluate your life drive and restructure it appropriately according to sanity of a developed society, one thing is certain, you will be calm, contented and fulfilled. Trust me, whenever you come visiting Nigeria in the next 5 years, you will look at colleagues that you left behind and be sad, not because you are richer than them (in fact they may even be monetarily richer than you), you will be sad because all you are seeing are old friends still chasing the "rat" in the same race, not having really realized the taste of contentment and a fulfilled life all the years you were away!

I even told some that if I decide to go to work on my bicycle in Naija, some that don't know me will say "Ehyah, poverty has really dealt this man a big blow, God will help him soon grin" Those that know me will say "He is so stingy to even himself, we know he can buy a jeep and look at him, he is using bicycle to the office" grin

But if I critically take look at my need in Canada and decide to go to my office some blocks away on my bicycle, I'm sure nobody will give a hoot, even if I am a manager there and the office tea girl is driving a Range Rover to the office everyday...that is valuesystem modifications! grin

God bless us all!

It will all end in praise IJN

82 Likes 10 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.