Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,534 members, 7,808,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (158) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980061 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 8:02am On Dec 13, 2017
czaratwork:

My sister you mean. I am still in the process. The mistake i made was to write BC that i am in Ontario for them to move my file to Ontario. I was supposed to be inducted in November but as i type now, i dont even know the status of my application. I only got a mail that my file has been transferred to them in October and dats all. I have sent their automated enquiry mail but no response. I have also tried to speak with the registrar's office only to drop voicemail for them. I may be there physically tomorrow if time permits me.

My dear this land is to each his own. You can't use another person's story to know what lies in wait for you. I have learnt that not just because everybody has different story to tell but because MY CASE IS DIFFERENT. You will understand in fullness of time. Meanwhile you can never be hungry here. There are always jobs to pay the bills and worse case scenario you become government pickin wey dem go dey pay allowance (not advisable though).

Then the accounting and finance jobs are more in Ontario (Toronto to be precise). But i hear rent high for dat side na im make i go live for nearby to dey commute.

Resume writing is a big deal here because of the keywords the scanning machines look out for in a resume. You need to get your resume right to be called for interviews.

The bigger deal is Canadian experience which they won't tell you. This doesn't matter for IT people. They believe IT is same everywhere. The same way you do network security in Nigeria is the same way it is done in Canada. Infact this is so true because some of my sister's colleagues got their job before moving while the rest got theirs immediately they got here.

As an accountant you need to know your excel very well. Vlookup and pivot table are very important to them. Then QuickBooks is very popular here too. If you have worked in an organisation that use ERPs like Oracle and SAP(?) Then you are hotcake. I have not seen where the job ad has finacle or flexcube experience requirement(Bankers).

The above is just a general observation. There are exceptions to the rules.

I have to stop here for now. Like i said no two people have the same story. Ontario is yours to discover (its written on their plate numbers).

Thank you dear. I am sorry I initially interpreted your name as Caesar at Work, hence the assumption you are a Bros. ITK Gone Wrong! Forgot it could also be Chizaram...
Anyway, wishing you all the best. Someone mentioned that CPA Ontario was more receptive and had less delays. I will look for the post and dig it out for you. Kindly share the links for resume writing if you have any.

I know it's not easy but know that we are all rooting for you, all of nairaland, all of Nigeria are supporting and praying for your success. Always remember that. All the best.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 8:06am On Dec 13, 2017
I forgot to add that the last 5 years in your resume is very key. Also dont be modest about your achievements. Blow your trumpets very well. They dont see it as being proud. Infact it was one of my interviewers that made me realise 1 line in my resume is an achievement. I dey sing am like song now.

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 8:13am On Dec 13, 2017
czaratwork:
I forgot to add that the last 5 years in your resume is very key. Also dont be modest about your achievements. Blow your trumpets very well. They dont see it as being proud. Infact it was one of my interviewers that made me realise 1 line in my resume is an achievement. I dey sing am like song now.

Well, the great thing is that the interviews are coming in. In no time you will land the dream job.
Do you have a number (CAD) in mind or a position?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 8:45am On Dec 13, 2017
Hello Everyone.

I'm currently looking for flights, please any pointers on good search engines to get the best rates will be very appreciated.

Also is it only at the airport i can apply for my SIN number? If i arrive at 4pm will i still meet the officials processing the SIN number?

Has any one flown with Ethiopian airline? How was your trip? Did you need a transit visa for the layover in Dublin?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 9:44am On Dec 13, 2017
Garykasparov:
Hello Peeps,
I have my own questions and quite directed @Blackbuddy.

We have since made up our minds that its Ontario to land as we are both into finance. However, staying in GTA is out of our options as well. I am yet to here about STRATFORD and KITCHENER AND WATERLOO here. Can someone kindly enlighten the peculiarities of this places. Preference is cheap housing(an opportunity to buy in near future) and securing finance jobs with good proximity, low cost of living.

2. Is it worth pursuing the CPA qualification, or it is your skill that really matter. Considering it is a huge investment but an easy one for me, does it add that much value or there are other things worthy of such investment. i intend to get an assistant controller job.

Hi Garykasparov, not heard from you in a while. How did u settle? Did you eventually go for CPA as BlackBuddy advised or you went the marketing angle. How has it been getting a job? Did you eventually settle at Kitchener or Waterloo?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 9:55am On Dec 13, 2017
Muchaio:
To the ACCA folks, I'd advise to go through CPA Ontario. I'm applying through them and there has been no issues with scanning documents to them and responding. So far I only have the tax course outstanding which I have decided to chill on since I don't intend to land till 2nd Qtr 2018.
I think their processes are better than CPA BC who I've heard may request for hard copies. All my documents except academic transcript were sent as soft copies. Transcript sef na because my school no dey do softcopy

czaratwork, Muchaio may have their working email and contact number
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoboy1: 9:58am On Dec 13, 2017
[quote author=eclectic139 post=63237583]Hello Everyone.

I'm currently looking for flights, please any pointers on good search engines to get the best rates will be very appreciated.

[/b] Try skyscanner. It will show you the flight prices for the whole month. Ethiopian is always the cheapest!

Also is it only at the airport i can apply for my SIN number? If i arrive at 4pm will i still meet the officials processing the SIN number?

[b]
You should still be able to do your SIN at the airport so far you land on a week day

Has any one flown with Ethiopian airline? How was your trip? Did you need a transit visa for the layover in Dublin?

[b][/b] You don’t need transit visa for Dublin. They are only stopping to refuel.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daremum(m): 11:06am On Dec 13, 2017
Copied from Canada Visa Forum!

I'd like to supply a perspective of a kid who immigrated with parents almost 3 decades ago.

Some have questioned why would parents leave their prime occupations and suffer in Canada? I asked myself the same question as an adult, because my father was a doctor who even worked for the WHO while my mom was an RN with a very successful side business. They did it for us kids. Despite all the luxury and private schooling we had, they wanted us to live in a society of fairness, democracy and equality for all. Even with our comfortable lives, they ensured that we were humble and did not think of ourselves as better than anyone else. I would like to add that this attribute/mind-set is also one key to success in Canada. If you don't want your kids and family to suffer, ensure your kids know how to work hard and that they aren't spoilt.

I will tell you that I never walked to school before I moved to Canada. Yet when I had to do that, ride my bike or take public transport, I did not balk at it. Those materialistic things were never something we took pride in. What we knew our parents valued the most was our family, respect and doing well in school and that did not change when we moved to Canada. We, the kids did not know nor notice a difference in our financial circumstances outside of not having a car or living in a tiny apartment. Only when we looked back on it as adults did we realize how difficult it must have been for them.

We too landed in Vancouver, so I can definitely relate to the OP's story. Vancouver, as beautiful as it is, is not as diverse as Toronto and you get a lot more subtle discrimination veiled behind a "nice/friendly" veneer. My father worked as a research assistant, because during that time, foreign physicians were required to sign a letter as part of immigration that they will not practice in Canada. The family lived in a 2-bedroom apartment in our first 3 years. Mom worked as a nurse and picked up an extra part-time shift at another hospital.

Childcare is EXPENSIVE in Canada. So, those who ask why leave the children behind, imagine spending as much as your salary each month to pay for child care. Only recently are they offering full-day school for children under 6yrs. Also, you may run into some unsafe situations for your child like my mom did with some private daycares. Fortunately for my parents, my sister and I were in our early teens so we could mind our toddler sibling which helped immensely. We would do the same at-the-door hand-off with my mom in the mornings as the OP mentioned (Dad landed 6 months after us). The age of the children poses its own challenges and advantages. If you need more details and tips ask and I will explain.

Through it all, my parents persevered. We moved into a townhouse in year 3 and since then, have progressively moved up and become a Canadian success story supported by safety net that Canada provides for those willing to work hard . All three of us have finished university, own our homes and investment property. I will tell you this though: We have never used government assistance in Canada. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am, so I am not trying to offend anyone, but my mentality is that so long as McDonalds is open and I am able-bodied, why would I take government assistance? The mentality that such jobs or even a step-down in one's career during hard times is beneath you will hold you back in Canada.

I am in the process of sponsoring my husband and regaining a whole new admiration for my parents. Filling out all these forms makes me wonder how they did it in the late '80s without a computer and forums like these.

Canada is a land of opportunity - even more so than the USA. We are close enough to benefit from the things that make the US great, but different enough in the things that matter too. Canada levels the playing field for all despite what one's status is in one's original country. If you don't have qualifications, so long as your brain is as good as the next person and you study/work hard, you will achieve some great results with the right attitude.

It is verrry easy to be lazy in Canada. If you want to sleep, watch TV or surf the internet all day, you most likely could, but is that what you came here to do? Don't fall into the comfort. Don't lose the core of who you are, don't fall into the traps of trying to take advantage of the system, don't compare yourself to others and you will do well.

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 11:12am On Dec 13, 2017
My people, sorry for late response. To register for canprep you have to Please upload ONE of the following documents confirming your eligibility: 1.) IRCC invitation to obtain pre-arrival services, 2.) Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) letter/document, 3.) Passport request letter that indicates Permanent Resident visa issuance, 4.) Single Entry Permanent Resident Visa, or 5.) Permanent Resident Visa pick up notification letter.

A long the line, you will be assigned a mentor. Mentoring will be via email communications and skype calls. Bridging programs is best when you land but you can commence the application process after you receive COPR. You can start preparing for job openings from here but actually getting the job is rare as most recruiters will go for citizens or permanent residents in Canada. The canprep mentoring will expose you to a lot.

Your resume style will change to Canadian. There are course modules that will teach you different styles. You will get insights on job search techniques and how to succeed in the Canadian workplace after you get a job. It's a step by step preparation and it will guide your focus to positive events for the future.

You will end up a better equipped person that what you already know. There's lot's of culture shock awaiting new migrants but when you get to know something, it's no longer a shock. Like boys scouts, "Be prepared".

Success = opportunity meeting preparedness.

Cheers.
vascey:

My brother this is the same thing I have been saying. Abi them send them ni.
Meanwhile, How are you doing canprep mentoring from here. can you share the link? Is it also possible to partake in those bridging programs while awaiting PR?

I think you are doing great. This is surely the way to go. While I have been working on aligning my current professional qualification with theirs, I am yet to enroll in any school for additional courses. I have also been looking up job openings I am interested in. This will help me tailor my resume properly.

Nice one

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elixir123: 2:43pm On Dec 13, 2017
Negotiate:
Guys, forgive me for my odd way if thinking.
I was just wondering. Instead of renting an apartment with about 1,500 when im not yet sure of where I'll be living as a new entry, what do you think about getting an RV?

An RV can be purchased for about 6k which means I can resell after I get a job and finally settle in a desired city.

What are the laws regarding ownership of such?

Is this something a family can manage in? For the greater good?

Imagine if I use a $6000 RV for a year... I can finally sell it off at 4000. Meaning I have only used about 2000 as rent for the whole year.

Am I day dreading or am I running mad?

I'm sorry mehn but your last sentence got me laughing out loud!! Nothing do you jare,you have a point.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elixir123: 3:18pm On Dec 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

Nice post, but you're wrong by saying Nigeria is unknown. Infact, you have the freedom to control your life in Nigeria without committing anything to the govt

As a high earner in Nigeria, you have the option of sending your kids to the best schools here or abroad, the choice is yours

You can produce your own electricity if you don't want to depend on the govt for it, you can remove yourself entirely from paying PHCN bills with no questions asked, hence you can put on your light knowing there will be light all the time. Try alternative power or move to areas with good light supply e.g Osun, Jos, Abuja etc tongue

Also, you can chose to stay in service flats with 24/7 light supply and 24/7 security, you don't have to travel to Canada to achieve this, trust me if you can afford a service flat you can have this too. Or better still, take advantage of security gadgets like alarms and such, you can also get a gun licence or employ private security guards

In Nigeria, just get a sim, register and use your line to access any state or country in the world, no need for long stories, pay as you go, o'er second billing, cheap data

Your flat should have water running but if it doesn't, I personally will prefare supplying my own treated water via boreholes so that I can maintain the standard to my taste, if this is not your forte, make sure you rent a flat or house with running water or find out how you can get your house connected to the govt's own.

In Lagos, I assure you that emergency numbers are all working, I'm not too sure about other States but in Lagos, it works.

To avoid Maina eating your pension funds, you can subscribe to any reputable RSA of your choice and if you are into private business, you can try life assurance policy, these are privately owned not govt's so no Mainas here

For relaxation, you can plan summer trips or seasonal trips as you wish and I assure you, if you can prove that you are a genuine traveller, getting a visa wouldn't be an issue for you. Let them know you aren't deserting your country and you will definitely get visa without stress

To be sure your children will never experience strikes by lecturers, you can make use of the numerous private universities we have down here, 100% strike free

As for hospitals, try researching for good ones and get familiar with your doctors also take advantage of HMOs to get good deals for your medical insurance. It will save you a lot of money

Who will take care of senior citizens? Definitely children, relatives or even good Samaritans. It's hard to come across an elderly person without at least a helper but if such occurs, old people's homes are still available here. If you have the money, you can get a life long domestic staff to support and care for you in the comfort of your home

When next you arrive and someone askes you "Wetin you bring come?* smile and tell him nothing, if you need someone to welcome you with a smile, you can invite friends and family to pick you up at the Airport

The land is truly green and beautiful.

I honestly want to to be believe you are being sarcastic as,to contemplate that a rational mind will think this way or make excuses for her Nation and Government ,is just plain sad and incredulous.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Garykasparov: 3:20pm On Dec 13, 2017
vascey:

Hi Garykasparov, not heard from you in a while. How did u settle? Did you eventually go for CPA as BlackBuddy advised or you went the marketing angle. How has it been getting a job? Did you eventually settle at Kitchener or Waterloo?

Lmao....i still dey my Kitchen for Naija dey drink water grin grin grin grin grin grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by steroid: 3:21pm On Dec 13, 2017
Hello Nairalanders,

I have been trying to get a number on freetone app but to no avail. I put in my details to make payment but it keeps declining.

Is there any other way of getting the number.

Your advises are welcome
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2017
daremum:
Copied from Canada Visa Forum!

I'd like to supply a perspective of a kid who immigrated with parents almost 3 decades ago.

Some have questioned why would parents leave their prime occupations and suffer in Canada? I asked myself the same question as an adult, because my father was a doctor who even worked for the WHO while my mom was an RN with a very successful side business. They did it for us kids. Despite all the luxury and private schooling we had, they wanted us to live in a society of fairness, democracy and equality for all. Even with our comfortable lives, they ensured that we were humble and did not think of ourselves as better than anyone else. I would like to add that this attribute/mind-set is also one key to success in Canada. If you don't want your kids and family to suffer, ensure your kids know how to work hard and that they aren't spoilt.

I will tell you that I never walked to school before I moved to Canada. Yet when I had to do that, ride my bike or take public transport, I did not balk at it. Those materialistic things were never something we took pride in. What we knew our parents valued the most was our family, respect and doing well in school and that did not change when we moved to Canada. We, the kids did not know nor notice a difference in our financial circumstances outside of not having a car or living in a tiny apartment. Only when we looked back on it as adults did we realize how difficult it must have been for them.

We too landed in Vancouver, so I can definitely relate to the OP's story. Vancouver, as beautiful as it is, is not as diverse as Toronto and you get a lot more subtle discrimination veiled behind a "nice/friendly" veneer. My father worked as a research assistant, because during that time, foreign physicians were required to sign a letter as part of immigration that they will not practice in Canada. The family lived in a 2-bedroom apartment in our first 3 years. Mom worked as a nurse and picked up an extra part-time shift at another hospital.

Childcare is EXPENSIVE in Canada. So, those who ask why leave the children behind, imagine spending as much as your salary each month to pay for child care. Only recently are they offering full-day school for children under 6yrs. Also, you may run into some unsafe situations for your child like my mom did with some private daycares. Fortunately for my parents, my sister and I were in our early teens so we could mind our toddler sibling which helped immensely. We would do the same at-the-door hand-off with my mom in the mornings as the OP mentioned (Dad landed 6 months after us). The age of the children poses its own challenges and advantages. If you need more details and tips ask and I will explain.

Through it all, my parents persevered. We moved into a townhouse in year 3 and since then, have progressively moved up and become a Canadian success story supported by safety net that Canada provides for those willing to work hard . All three of us have finished university, own our homes and investment property. I will tell you this though: We have never used government assistance in Canada. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am, so I am not trying to offend anyone, but my mentality is that so long as McDonalds is open and I am able-bodied, why would I take government assistance? The mentality that such jobs or even a step-down in one's career during hard times is beneath you will hold you back in Canada.

I am in the process of sponsoring my husband and regaining a whole new admiration for my parents. Filling out all these forms makes me wonder how they did it in the late '80s without a computer and forums like these.

Canada is a land of opportunity - even more so than the USA. We are close enough to benefit from the things that make the US great, but different enough in the things that matter too. Canada levels the playing field for all despite what one's status is in one's original country. If you don't have qualifications, so long as your brain is as good as the next person and you study/work hard, you will achieve some great results with the right attitude.

It is verry easy to be lazy in Canada. If you want to sleep, watch TV or surf the internet all day, you most likely could, but is that what you came here to do? Don't fall into the comfort. Don't lose the core of who you are, don't fall into the traps of trying to take advantage of the system, don't compare yourself to others and you will do well.
I agree with everything up here except "Canada being having more opportunies than the US". No country in the world compares to the US interms of oportunity...career wise and jobs.

From observation of things going on around me, good jobs are hard to get in Canada. No need in sugar coating the situation on ground. I would like to add that networking is very very important in Canada. It was one of the culture shock I experienced and still experiencing when I moved from the UK to Canada. In Nigeria, they call it man-know-man. In Canada, it is called networking. Alot of good jobs are kept within circles of friends and family. It's a small country (population wise) so they have to watch out for each other. There are exceptions though. e.g Good preparation and timing - booming economy, Gods favour, luck, IT gurus, jobs in very large organization (few in Canada), or you have some rare special skills that are had to find. I did not know anyone in the first two good jobs I worked, but with Gods favour I got in. I realised that my competitors for these jobs always had friends/families inside. The last small team I worked with had a father & son, boyfriend & girlfriend, a retirees son, one whose wife works in HR. lol. This is an organization of around 5000 people. When you move around the same organization but different department, you would find similar set up.

The Indians are catching up fast and beating the Canadians to their game. The last meeting I went for had 3 indian engineers hosting the meeting. They could barely speak english, but they all have similar last names meaning they are likely from the same area in india. I am guessing the hiring manager for that dept is from the same community in india. Every single job my madam had and still currently holding (even though healthcare, and one of the so called demand field) was through networking with fellow naijas in the same field.

So my people, let us try and network as much as possible. Try to build relationship with people in your chosen field. A recommendation from them can get you a good job. To build your network, try bridging programs, co-op programs in schools, linkedin, churches, mosques, temples, events e.t.c
Let us copy the Indians. As Nigerians, let us help each other if we can. If and when we get to a position of authority in Canada, let us help our brothers and sisters out. Also, if you believe in Yahwah, Allah or your local God, pray before going for that interview so that God can touch the heart of that subtle racist that might want to be in your way or make him/her fall sick on the day of the interview. Ask for God's favour to go with you.

66 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 3:37pm On Dec 13, 2017
Thanks @salford1

Thumbs up wink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 3:42pm On Dec 13, 2017
Garykasparov:

Lmao....i still dey my Kitchen for Naija dey drink water grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ewuooo grin grin grin.. All join. What's the plan na?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 4:08pm On Dec 13, 2017
[quote author=Ayobpoy1 post=63239863][/quote]

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 4:33pm On Dec 13, 2017
dupyshoo:
You are right about the MSc but I did not put my work experience when I registered. I did that because, they will still give me EIT whether I get 50 year work experience or not.
However, I compared my course modules during my undergrad with the courses required for an Electrical and Electronics Engineer in Canada and I saw that I did more than was required. So, I knew I was good to go.

I also read on their website then that if they gave someone from your Uni with the same course EIT without requiring exams, it means they are happy with the course modules being taught for the course in your school.

Hi sisto, abeg have you read/ come across anyone that got direct GIT or EIT with only a first degree from O.A.U ? I.e without having to write exams.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:42pm On Dec 13, 2017
salford1:

I agree with everything up here except "Canada being having more opportunies than the US". No country in the world compares to the US interms of oportunity...career wise and jobs.

From observation of things going on around me, good jobs are hard to get in Canada. No need in sugar coating the situation on ground. I would like to add that networking is very very important in Canada. It was one of the culture shock I experienced and still experiencing when I moved from the UK to Canada. In Nigeria, they call it man-know-man. In Canada, it is called networking. Alot of good jobs are kept within circles of friends and family. It's a small country (population wise) so they have to watch out for each other. There are exceptions though. e.g Good preparation and timing - booming economy, Gods favour, luck, IT gurus, jobs in very large organization (few in Canada), or you have some rare special skills that are had to find. I did not know anyone in the first two good jobs I worked, but with Gods favour I got in. I realised that my competitors for these jobs always had friends/families inside. The last small team I worked with had a father & son, boyfriend & girlfriend, a retirees son, one whose wife works in HR. lol. This is an organization of around 5000 people. When you move around the same organization but different department, you would find similar set up.

The Indians are catching up fast and beating the Canadians to their game. The last meeting I went for had 3 indian engineers hosting the meeting. They could barely speak english, but they all have similar last names meaning they are likely from the same area in india. I am guessing the hiring manager for that dept is from the same community in india. Every single job my madam had and still currently holding (even though healthcare, and one of the so called demand field) was through networking with fellow naijas in the same field.

So my people, let us try and network as much as possible. Try to build relationship with people in your chosen field. A recommendation from them can get you a good job. To build your network, try bridging programs, co-op programs in schools, linkedin, churches, mosques, temples, events e.t.c
As Nigerians, let us help each other if we can. If and when we get to a position of authority in Canada, let us help our brothers and sisters out. Also, if you believe in Yahwah, Allah or your local God, pray before going for that interview so that God can touch the heart of that subtle racist that might want to be in your way or make him/her fall sick on the day of the interview. Ask for God's favour to go with you.

Every developing country has a "networking" system. Especially in the private sector, where you can't tell a company who to hire and who not too. I've got good jobs very easily in Canada. Because like you said; good timing, booming economy, and God's blessing is how most gets in without knowing anyone. At least the government at the provincial and federal level, knows and is aggressively attempting to end the networking system here.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 4:44pm On Dec 13, 2017
Algbenguze:
Oga @Pidgin2, I initially thought u were pulling our legs here.
You speak like the average Nigerian earns N2m per month from all the illusion u painted in your posts. Let's even start with the most privileged Nigerian:
Even your president is not guaranteed good quality of life here otherwise he wouldn't be doing ordinary "routine check-ups" (not surgery o) in London with taxpayers' money. His children also school abroad, likewise that of the Senate President. Our first lady had to go search for a private hospital just to have an x-ray; thank God it wasn't an emergency.
The funniest part of that your post talked about treating borehole water "to your taste". U be chemist? Water that should be tasteless and odourless?
Talking of serviced apartments on the Island, no be bad and flooded roads person go drive pass? What we even call enjoyment here sef is very questionable.

Wait sef...What are you even doing on this thread and the EE thread if you're not planning to relocate yourself?

If na joke, pls stop am!

LMAO!...our judges in the SUPREME COURT don't have an "official" takehome of 2m per month.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by water2wine: 4:48pm On Dec 13, 2017
We recently got our PR cards in the mail. However, I applied under my maiden name as that is what is shown on my International Passport when I was applying under express entry.

Nevertheless, the passport recently expired, and I got a new passport under my husband's last name. There is a need to also change the name on my P.R. card. Anyone been in similar situation? Anyone with quality info on how to go about this? Thanks in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maygreaves(m): 4:54pm On Dec 13, 2017
hmmm...so this all started when my oga @maternal responded to a post correctly but included his/her opinion on long distant marriages...its so funny how this shifted from that to Nigeria (i'm guilty as well). so please @maternal, i always look out for your contribution among a few others here...but please you know how optimistic Nigerians can be (a great trait most times), so for the sake of the thread- opinions you could have about Politics, Religon, Sexism, sexual orientations and marriage....Please just leave it out. As this is a very public forum and various individuals might be going through issues on these very sensitive subjects. Though i'll appreciate if you start a blog....you tend to be very factual, but it may come across as too blunt for many.

Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:01pm On Dec 13, 2017
maternal:

Every developing country has a "networking" system. Especially in the private sector, where you can't tell a company who to hire and who not too. I've got good jobs very easily in Canada. Because like you said; good timing, booming economy, and God's blessing is how most gets in without knowing anyone. At least the government at the provincial and federal level, knows and is aggressively attempting to end the networking system here.
The networking system is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes HR life a lot more easy. it only becomes bad when better candidates are overlooked for mediocre candidates cos of relative or friend connections.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 6:24pm On Dec 13, 2017
Ewooo...reading the last few pages of this thread has been a rollercoaster ride....Can we go back to the Living In Canada as a Canadian Immigrant discussion please?

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 11:17pm On Dec 13, 2017
Dear Canada people of Nigeria, please oh, no vexxing.
See that Canada you guys are chilling... The only reason I may not enter there next year is just because I want to vote for Buhari in 2019 before I run out.
However, based on efforts, I will get my ITA in less than a month after application, and PPR immediately after... But I'm still making plans as per settlement and job.
Ignore my ignorance, but I know you can't do anyhow in Canada, if not, you go see anyhow.
Do I need a permit to own a bicycle?
Because right now, I'm already making plans to get a bicycle which I will use to tour round the whole province while job hunting, dropping resumes everywhere possible, thereby saving cost for transportation.
I know in places like France, RUSSIA, UK, bicycles abound.
My goal is to get at least a minimum wage job in month 1, while saving as best as possible.
I'm an app developer, currently earning about $500 monthly without doing anything, so I believe that can cover my rent, while I go and hustle for other bills.
Are there any laws regarding bicycles?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:08am On Dec 14, 2017
Negotiate:
Dear Canada people of Nigeria, please oh, no vexxing.
See that Canada you guys are chilling... The only reason I may not enter there next year is just because I want to vote for Buhari in 2019 before I run out.
However, based on efforts, I will get my ITA in less than a month after application, and PPR immediately after... But I'm still making plans as per settlement and job.
Ignore my ignorance, but I know you can't do anyhow in Canada, if not, you go see anyhow.
Do I need a permit to own a bicycle?
Because right now, I'm already making plans to get a bicycle which I will use to tour round the whole province while job hunting, dropping resumes everywhere possible, thereby saving cost for transportation.
I know in places like France, RUSSIA, UK, bicycles abound.
My goal is to get at least a minimum wage job in month 1, while saving as best as possible.
I'm an app developer, currently earning about $500 monthly without doing anything, so I believe that can cover my rent, while I go and hustle for other bills.
Are there any laws regarding bicycles?
I am not aware of any permit other than your helmet and maybe reflective items on your bicycle. While bicycle is good for exercising and for short distances commute, I don't really see it as a good means of transport here. Canada is not like the EU where the cities are not far from each other. Also, when the weather is very cold, riding bicycle may not be convenient. You can get a good used car on kijiji to get you around for less than $1500.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 12:59am On Dec 14, 2017
My apology, but this sounds funny though it wasn't intended to be.
Don't you think that the earlier people got in tune with reality, the better and easier it is as adults to align our expectations accordingly, particularly to avoid setting the bar too high. We all go through the different stages of grief but the quicker we move from denial to acceptance, the better. Maybe we need to be a bit less sensitive and sentimental about the reality that confronts us for maximum achievement. Anyway, oga @maternal, over to you sir.

maygreaves:
hmmm...so this all started when my oga @maternal responded to a post correctly but included his/her opinion on long distant marriages...its so funny how this shifted from that to Nigeria (i'm guilty as well). so please @maternal, i always look out for your contribution among a few others here...but please you know how optimistic Nigerians can be (a great trait most times), so for the sake of the thread- opinions you could have about Politics, Religon, Sexism, sexual orientations and marriage....Please just leave it out. As this is a very public forum and various individuals might be going through issues on these very sensitive subjects. Though i'll appreciate if you start a blog....you tend to be very factual, but it may come across as too blunt for many.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 1:15am On Dec 14, 2017
Although downplayed, I like to think that 'networking' is a thing in most countries since people in a similar profession can more easily point a person in the right direction as regards available opportunities in their career. However, when it becomes nepotism/cronyism, then it's a problem. This is a problem that Canada shares with the US in particular, probably one of the values that rubbed off on the country as a result of the proximity.

Cronyism is also a huge problem with the French (they love to reserve the best positions for their 'own', so it's probably a good thing if you speak the language), so let's not forget that Canada is a bilingual country with a considerable French influence.

salford1:

Let us copy the Indians. As Nigerians, let us help each other if we can. If and when we get to a position of authority in Canada, let us help our brothers and sisters out. Also, if you believe in Yahwah, Allah or your local God, pray before going for that interview so that God can touch the heart of that subtle racist that might want to be in your way or make him/her fall sick on the day of the interview. Ask for God's favour to go with you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:54am On Dec 14, 2017
@einsteino @careerwoman @vascey @teeman et al lots of well said comments.

You know its interesting that @pidgin2 can have such a perspective of our dear motherland which is totally blind to the stark reality staring everyone else in the face and that is the exact problem with what's wrong with Nigeria. I mean, our country is a threat to mental function oh!

Argue with yourself or insult me and my entire generation, I will not answer you.

And to that person trying to look for who to get into a completely senseless argument over preferential treatment of women in Nigeria, well done. Keep on living in your la la land. If you like too, argue with yourself or insult me and my entire generation, i will not answer you.

Drops troublesome mic.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:25am On Dec 14, 2017
vcole:
@einsteino @careerwoman @vascey @teeman et al lots of well said comments.

You know its interesting that @pidgin2 can have such a perspective of our dear motherland which is totally blind to the stark reality staring everyone else in the face and that is the exact problem with what's wrong with Nigeria. I mean, our country is a threat to mental function oh!

Argue with yourself or insult me and my entire generation, I will not answer you.

And to that person trying to look for who to get into a completely senseless argument over preferential treatment of women in Nigeria, well done. Keep on living in your la la land. If you like too, argue with yourself or insult me and my entire generation, i will not answer you.

Drops troublesome mic.

Lol@ troublesome mic grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 7:23am On Dec 14, 2017
Finally here!!! Please, do we have anyone in Quebec here. Moving to Sherbrooke in Quebec with my children on a study visa this December. How's the weather, trnsport system, accommodation , daycare services?

Would be happy to get some responses. Thanks all

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 7:27am On Dec 14, 2017
A whole 6 pages for debate...

Relocating is a matter of perspective, which in most cases is largely based on "what you want for your kids(80%) and then you (20%)".

The major difference between Naija and Canada is obvious-Planning. This led to a working government that has the interest of its people at heart.

People that have money in Naija that go for vacation outside Naija everytime, all do so for a breathe of fresh air and good life.

Like someone pointed earlier...Nigeria is the unknown... As in you have no idea what will happen in the next 3 minutes in Nigeria in terms of basic ammenities for example. The one wey dey pain me pass na say government go announce say dem pay you salary like say dem dey do you favour, as in your sweat oh.

While here, you can plan yourself. Even moving from point A to point B is planned.

To those, trying their best to come to Canada may God bless your hustle. Abeg, make una try hard come, I get why.

Ps: Since wey I come here, I never shout "up NEPA" or even curse "Nepa man". Oh sorry, I mean I never shout "up hydro-ottawa"... That na just example...

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.