Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (167) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979752 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 22, 2017
TheCongo2:

Sorry for the delay. You can reach me at TheCongo2017@gmail.com

Oh, thank you. Will do so.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by crazyinlove: 7:37am On Dec 22, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, you can give DHL authority to pick up your passports and a copy of the pick up mail.

Thanks dear
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 7:54am On Dec 22, 2017
Nice thought process @AZeD1. You really made your resume open. Kindly share examples of "identifying details" on a resume. Your response will be highly appreciated. Keep up the positive drive!

AZeD1:
Also do not be afraid to try something different. I got my job via Reddit.
I posted my resume on Ottawas subreddit but removed all identifying details.

My present company was planning to hire in January but after seeing my resume ( no need to put out an advert or screen so many candidates) the CEO got in touch, and the rest is history.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 8:06am On Dec 22, 2017
TEECANN:

Thank you for the detailed response.

Did you buy your first car whilst holding your naija license? It is possible?
What's your experience with the dealership? Did the dealership ask for a Sask Driver license before concluding the car purchasing transaction with you?

Heard insurance cost is higher for the first time Sask Driver and also someone with an older year model used car? How true is this and what year model will you advice to go for with a decent budget of 4k to 5k?

Thanks for your time. Highly appreciated.

It will end in praise IJN!

Hi. Though I stay in Calgary, just thought I should chip in your car search inquiry. So we got our car off kijiji : 2004 Camry, excellent car with heated leather seats, 6 loader CD player, roomy, auto transmission, etc, for 3900 CAD. We just met with the guy at his place, transferred the money to his acct, we filled and both signed the transfer of ownership certificate, carried our car and left. Then we registered it, got plate number and insurance.

Just take ur time and do a thorough search on kijiji, u will Def get great deals.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by unstoppable1: 8:13am On Dec 22, 2017
Dear all, I ran into this and thought it might help.

https://www.quora.com/Many-have-said-Canada-gives-a-red-carpet-welcoming-to-your-immigration-application-but-it’s-not-easy-finding-a-job-Is-it-worth-going-there

5 EASY TIPS ON HOW TO GET CANADIAN EXPERIENCE

Here's a sad Canadian joke:

What's the safest place to have a heart attack?

At the back of a Canadian cab. Because the driver is most probably a doctor from a foreign country.

You start to giggle until you realize that you were once the driver, or you might be in his place very soon.

The Canadia experience issue has been a double edge sword for many immigrants for a long time - No Canadian experience, no job. No job, no Canadian experience. It's a vicious circle that has kept talented professionals unemployed or underemployed.

New Canadians are wondering why there were approved for permanent residency with their industry, only to be rejected with a "No Canadian experience" stamp at job interviews

We are going to take on the Candian experience challenge and uncover 5 ways you can obtain this biased credential and get the job you deserve to have.

I. Understand the disconnection

Let's start from the beginning. You were approved for permanent residency with your credentials as you were classified with the right NOC, and you got your college or university certificate attested by WES.

Yet, job offers never turned up. Heck, even job interviews never happened. And for the few times, when you did get an interview, you heard the dreaded "You don't have enough Canadian experience" or "Have you done this in Canada?"

And then you start to question the whole immigration process, screaming self-doubt, false hopes and even feeling cheated out of a better life.

Let's do a reality check for a quick second.

Hiring managers have three things in mind when they interview you:

1. Can you solve the problem I have?
2. Do you want this job?
3. Can you fit in with this company and my team?

Do you see any connection between their questions and the immigration process? No.

So even if the Canadian government welcomes you to the country or the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) is putting a policy (not law) in place to curb the Canadian experience problem, if you can't successfully answer these three questions for the hiring manager, you don't get the job.

And research by local universities and the OHRC has confirmed, the Canadian experience problem is closely tied to question 3. So let's expand on that.

II. Workplace Culture

Communication plays the biggest role in a team's culture. The hiring manager knows this. Langage barriers are seen as a big hurdle in any team environment.

Discussions, team meetings, water cooler gossip, arguments, and ideas are all sources of a team's progress and development. And if you have someone who does not communicate effectively, that's a serious problem.

English and French are the country's spoken languages. If you don't converse well in these languages, you most likely won't get past the interview. Accents are not so much of an issue as many companies in Canada accept and acknowledge diverse ethnic backgrounds.

If your English or French is not up to the mark, fortunately the Canadian government is here to help. The Ontario government, for example, offer Language Training for the workplace (LTFW), to assist immigrants in finding work in a specific field by offering sector-specific English as a second language (and French). For all provinces, you can check the Canadian government website here.

Now you might be thinking, I have worked for a Canadian company in my home country, so this doesn't apply to me. Not true. Every company, every branch, even every team inside the same company, has a different culture to varying degrees, and the hiring manager knows this.

III. Bridging the gap

When you touch down in Canada, you don't have Canadian experience. Period. But you can change that. Here's how:

1. Volunteering

Companies may reject you, but I've yet to see an organization turn me down for a volunteering opportunity. When you volunteer your services, it's a great way to connect with Canadian professionals and see first hand what this so-called "Canadian experience" is like.

You get to understand communication styles and professionally collaborate with others in a professional manner. These volunteering opportunities that you've taken advantage of goes a long way in your resume and your LinkedIn profile. Do include it there as a professional experience. If you're suffering from the Canadian experience problem, and the hiring manager will look at this and think - "OK, so this person does have some experience with professional Canadian culture."

A good place to start with volunteering is with Volunteer Canada.

2. Internships

My cousin was looking for jobs in accounting. She struggled with the Canadian experience problem. She eventually started a newcomers program with COSTI at the end of which they placed her into an internship with a reputable logistics company. The person she was working for ended up leaving the company three months after she joined, and she got the full-time job in her place.

There are several newcomer service programs that will promise you an internship position if you work hard at the program. Just because it's free for you doesn't mean you slack off. Tax dollars are paying for these courses so management of these programs want to make sure the government is providing them a healthy budget with promising candidates.

CareerEdge is another popular resource for internships. Take advantage of them!

3. Bridging Programs

If you are in a regulated industry, such as teaching, accounting, medical, engineering, architecture, understand that these industries are governed by strict policies and procedures.

Where I originally came from, my own family members suffered from medical malpractice and the doctors got away with it Scott free. Out here, in a regulated industry, a mistake can cost a company several millions of dollars in a lawsuit.

If you are a manager in Canada, would you hire a doctor from a country where malpractice has no repercussions? Or if you were the principal of a school, would you hire a teacher from a country where student abuse was ignored?

These bridging programs are here to help you understand the policies and regulations in Canada in your regulated industry that hiring managers and companies in the field must abide by.

Take on these bridging programs as early as possible to close the gap. Many educational institutes in Canada offer these.

4. Mentoring

Finally, while mentoring may not be something you put on a resume, finding a Canadian mentor can be beneficial to your knowledge in understanding Canadian workplace culture and the Canadian market in your industry.

Ten Thousand Coffees is a Canadian based organization dedicated to doing just that. You can contact industry leaders over Skype or, more ideally, over a cup of coffee.

Everwise and Canada Infonet are mentoring sites that we have personally used ourselves as well. When I immigrated to Canada, my mentor from Infonet was a project manager from the banking industry who gave me valuable advice on Canadian work culture, my resume, and job interview tips.

IV. Canadianize your job search strategy

Job searching has evolved beyond endless machine-gunning your resume to online job boards. You have to take a targeted approach to your job search strategy.

There are some additional points for new immigrants to consider to prevent hiring managers from playing the Canadian experience card.

1. Local References - Till date, I get called and emailed by hiring managers or recruiters about former employees who worked for me in Canada. Asking for references is common practice in Canada, and if your references are not based in Canada, that could be a problem.

This is why volunteering also adds value to your job search because you can use the contacts that you've established as local references. As a thank you for your free service, I'm sure that organizer of the volunteering event would be happy to act as a reference for you if you asked.

2. Networking - You've heard it many times before and you'll hear it again from us. Networking is the most important aspect of your job search. It plays even more of a critical role when you have a Canadian experience problem.

As we stated earlier, when a hiring manager looks at a resume, and they see foreign work experience, unconscious bias creeps into their mind. They may automatically assume you have a communication problem and lack of workplace cultural knowledge. One quote from a job seeker from the OHRC survey even stated that he felt his foreign name was working against him.

If there is one thing a resume cannot do, it cannot portray your personality. You may be from Timbuktu and have a 50 character name, but you have a winning personality and are the best fit for the job - hiring managers will not know this, until they meet you.

So don't just spray and pray your resumes on the online job boards. Get off the couch, and attend meetups. Google your industry and search for association and communities that you can become a part of and attend their events.

3. Local certification - If you can afford it, look for any certification from a local education institute. For example, project management is a transferable industry, as I like to call it. It's a skill that most hiring managers appreciate, and it is taught in several local educational institutes.

Likewise, find an educational program in Canada that's right for your job goals. This will positively be perceived as Canadian experience in the eyes of the recruiter and hiring manager.

V. Look for companies embracing diversity

The good news is, with Canada's immigration population on the rise, companies are more and more starting to embrace diversity in the workplace. Many types of research and studies have shown that diversity actually improves business performance and innovation.

Have a look at this list from Canadastop100 site that covers the top 100 companies renowned for diversity in the workplace.

If you take a targeted job search strategy and network with these companies and get into direct contact with them, this reduces the Canadian experience burden for you.

Fear Not

We understand that immigrating to a new country can be one of the most challenging times of your life. We've been there. A job search is a very stressful time, and it's even more stressful if you feel that your suffering from something you cannot control.

The Canadian experience problem is not out of your control. Take the necessary steps we spoke about on this post. It's not going to be easy and it will take more time and more effort.

Zero2Hired has always advocated that job searching is a job in itself. Think of the Canadian experience problem as being no different from a problem you face in the office. Meet the challenge head on and you'll be back in the workforce in no time.

Culled from: http://www.zero2hired.com/blog/5-easy-tips-on-how-to-get-canadian-experience

More useful links from him

http://www.zero2hired.com/blog/5-critical-changes-you-need-to-make-to-canadianize-your-resume

http://zero2hired.com/blog/the-canadian-job-market-how-to-discover-your-industry-%28even-if-you-live-abroad%29

41 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 8:47am On Dec 22, 2017
*modified
ANNOUNCEMENT: UPCOMING IOM SESSION IN IBADAN (JANUARY 2018)
IOM is trying to organize "Planning for Canada" sessions for those who have passed medical/PPR/COPR in Ibadan. "Planning for Canada" is a free pre-arrival service funded by the Government of Canada. However, for this to be actualized, a minimum of 15 candidates are required for a session. If you are a resident of any of the states in the Southwest apart from Lagos, this is a great opportunity as you would not have to travel all the way to Lagos. Please register on https://www.planningforcanada.ca

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 9:00am On Dec 22, 2017
Please how can one prepare Canadian resume?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jimikata(m): 9:01am On Dec 22, 2017
einsteino:

pls why is this equivalent to AJ? is it in terms of infrastructure, architecture, class of folks who typically reside there, or crime rate?

i am trying to see if it would be a bad idea to perhaps start off from a neighborhood such as this when landing, to make considerable savings in rent
@salford1 pls come and answer this ..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 9:24am On Dec 22, 2017
vascey:
Please how can one prepare Canadian resume?

Have you registered for the "Planning for Canada" session? If you have not, I suggest that you do. One of the online programs that you will be enrolled in is on how to write resumes.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 9:37am On Dec 22, 2017
mclarry:
Nice thought process @AZeD1. You really made your resume open. Kindly share examples of "identifying details" on a resume. Your response will be highly appreciated. Keep up the positive drive!

My personal details (name, email, phone), the name of the places I have worked, e.t.c
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tamm: 10:02am On Dec 22, 2017
I found this on Quora and thought it could be an interesting read! Long but useful thread! Integration and a strong will to succeed against all odds is truly fundamental in the journey of any immigrant regardless of the destination country.

https://www.quora.com/Are-there-any-examples-of-people-who-regretted-their-immigration-to-Canada-and-returned-back-to-their-home-country-What-could-be-the-reasons

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ray78: 11:21am On Dec 22, 2017
Thanks for your reply.Yea i figured landlords will be expecting the teneants to already be in canada before renting.Did you get your room from Nigeria or when you were already in Canada?How many months rent did you pay upfront?or just the initial month?I'm looking for friends in Toronto to put up with for a week or 2 when i land,before renting a room.
DatechMan:
You should be able to get within $500 - $600. A good room in a shared apartment. I got my place for $550, here in Westwood area Mississauga.

Try kijij.ca.

But to be honest with you it is easier to find a temp accomodation of $20-30 per night on airbnb from Nigeria than to get a room on Kijiji. Calling the landlord or texting seems to work best. Unless you have someone that can help you to do that. Most of the landlords will usually have loads of questions. Some will even want to see your face grin . I am not trying to discourage you though.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 1:09pm On Dec 22, 2017
ray78:
Thanks for your reply.Yea i figured landlords will be expecting the teneants to already be in canada before renting.Did you get your room from Nigeria or when you were already in Canada?How many months rent did you pay upfront?or just the initial month?I'm looking for friends in Toronto to put up with for a week or 2 when i land,before renting a room.

I booked a room on airbnb from Nigeria. Then got a permanent one after landing.
Yeah. First n last month pay is usually required upfront. Thats what I paid.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2017
maternal:

So with a naija license, with 2 plus years of experience, you can trade your naija license for a full sask one ?
no. You would still need the road test.

i only meant that if one only qualifies for the basic, you get moved on to advanced automatically after 16 months.

In Alberta, you need a 45min driving test to move from basic to advance. It's more like a cash grab. My wife went through the process from class 7 to class 5 basic. Even though she now qualifies for advance, she has refused to go for the driving exam to upgrade. If she moves to sask, she would be handed an advance class 5 without a driving exam.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Infamous(m): 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2017
Stanbliss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by moyinoluwa1: 3:28pm On Dec 22, 2017
[quote author=40manlappy post=63506276][/quote]

Please do you know when the next session will hold in Lagos. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by moyinoluwa1: 3:29pm On Dec 22, 2017
[quote author=40manlappy post=63506276][/quote]

Please do you know when the next session will hold in Lagos ? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:41pm On Dec 22, 2017
einsteino:

pls why is this equivalent to AJ? is it in terms of infrastructure, architecture, class of folks who typically reside there, or crime rate?

i am trying to see if it would be a bad idea to perhaps start off from a neighborhood such as this when landing, to make considerable savings in rent
jimikata:
@salford1 pls come and answer this ..
Starting off in a neighborhood like this is a no go. The area comes alive at night.

Even though it's cheap to live there, but do you like the idea of your house or car being burgled by parents and their underage kids (minor) while you are away, or do you like the idea of girls approaching you at night for weeds/drugs or sex for money. Do you want your kids picking up used needles in the nearby playground? lol

Infrastructure is similar to what you would find anywhere in Canada, but crime rate is high. The area is North Central Regina. Most cities have similar areas or equivalent. abeg make we no dey look for cheap things in Canada o. Cheap things are cheap for a reason.

On a side note, prostitution is ilegal in Canada (ilegal to buy but okay to sell). Meaning if one gets caught, the seller would be let go but buyer would be prosecuted, then bye bye to citizenship. Weed would become legal in Canada next july anyway. The goverment want to take control of the highly profitable weed business.lol

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 3:49pm On Dec 22, 2017
3rdeye1:
Hi guys. Please I wish to migrate to Canada with my wife and kid. We work and reside in Dubai, UAE but we wish to move. I really need you candid advice pls and the best way to go about it. Some said moving wth family is an advantage while some said I should try to move first. We are honestly considering US or Canada. Is it something I can do on my own or I need an agent. What are the prerequisites? I kindly need an honest answer pls and probably from an experienced person. Thanks

Read the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:59pm On Dec 22, 2017
vcole:
@salford1, i was a lil surprised to see that it didn't snow in Regina as we are buried in the white stuff on this end.
@datechman, i admire your spirit. It is actually worth considering the weather while deciding to take on jobs. This winter is not for the faint hearted. I had to go for a meeting today at a place that's usually a 35-40 min drive from where I live but with the snow accumulation, I chose not to drive and took the transit. It took me an hour and a half. Let's just say winter is very different when you have to stand waiting for a bus or the c train. I can't even imagine how it would be if one has to work a job that involves being outside in the cold.
I am suprised too. I have been watching on the news about Calgary battling with a large amount of snow. Heard there have been lots of collisions too due to the snow. Ones the thing hits the ground in large quantity, alot of drivers just get confused grin

Due to black ice, I once witnessed a car spin 3 times on highway 1 west before ending up in a ditch. It happened so fast and was a frightening experience... luckily the guy was okay. I do not blame some drivers that jump on a public transport when the roads are terrible. The gov is really trying when it comes to clearing the ice on the road.

That guy that spun 3 times was me grin

42 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 3rdeye1(m): 4:14pm On Dec 22, 2017
bbaby84:

Read the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Thanks! I’m on it .. looks informative . God bless
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 4:21pm On Dec 22, 2017
moyinoluwa1:

Please do you know when the next session will hold in Lagos. Thanks

If it's of any use, the following were the available dates when someone made enquiries recently. Note that you have to register first before you can be assigned a date.

2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:27pm On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

I am suprised too. I have been watching on the news about Calgary battling with a large amount of snow. Heard there have been lots of collisions too due to the snow. Ones the thing hits the ground in large quantity, alot of drivers just get confused grin

Due to black ice, I once witnessed a car spin 3 times on highway 1 west before ending up in a ditch. It happened so fast and was a frightening experience... luckily the guy was okay. I do not blame some drivers that jump on a public transport when the roads are terrible. The gov is really trying when it comes to clearing the ice on the road.

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 4:36pm On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

Starting off in a neighborhood like this is a no go. The area comes alive at night.

Even though it's cheap to live there, but do you like the idea of your house or car being burgled by parents and their underage kids (minor) while you are away, or do you like the idea of girls approaching you at night for weeds/drugs or sex for money. Do you want your kids picking up used needles in the nearby playground? lol

Infrastructure is similar to what you would find anywhere in Canada, but crime rate is high. The area is North Central Regina. Most cities have similar areas or equivalent. abeg make we no dey look for cheap things in Canada o. Cheap things are cheap for a reason.

On a side note, prostitution is ilegal in Canada (ilegal to buy but okay to sell). Meaning if one gets caught, the seller would be let go but buyer would be prosecuted, then bye bye to citizenship. Weed would become legal in Canada next july anyway. The goverment want to take control of the highly profitable weed business.lol

Please what are they buying and selling? I don't understand. tongue
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:36pm On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

thanks for the insight. their law on prostitution is weird and partial if you ask me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:39pm On Dec 22, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

kerewa, kpekus, funge, shuku shuku, otapiapia, one corner, lash, brokus

you must understand one of the above grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by moyinoluwa1: 4:42pm On Dec 22, 2017
40manlappy:

If it's of any use, the following were the available dates when someone made enquiries recently. Note that you have to register first before you can be assigned a date.

Oh my. Landing in March, so these dates won't work. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:50pm On Dec 22, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

einsteino:

kerewa, kpekus, funge, shuku shuku, otapiapia, one corner, lash, brokus

you must understand one of the above grin grin grin
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 5:01pm On Dec 22, 2017
salford1:

wow! @spinning 3 times. Crazy stuff. 2 days ago there were so many collissions. In the morning when I went to drop off my toddler at daycare there was nowhere to park.....the curb was 40cm high and cars just kept on driving until I eventually parked in the elementary school down the street and then had to do a 10 min walk backwards that felt more like 10hrs cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:30pm On Dec 22, 2017
Toronto this morning. It looks pretty but the cold... smiley

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:42pm On Dec 22, 2017
vcole:
wow! @spinning 3 times. Crazy stuff. 2 days ago there were so many collissions. In the morning when I went to drop off my toddler at daycare there was nowhere to park.....the curb was 40cm high and cars just kept on driving until I eventually parked in the elementary school down the street and then had to do a 10 min walk backwards that felt more like 10hrs cheesy cheesy
Yes o..3 times.. All I remembered was struggling to keep the vehicle straight after i got on the ice, but I lost control at some point and found myself in the ditch. Two vehicles stopped to assist. They said I spun 3 times and were frightened too that the car might flip. It was my fault really. I was travelling at close to 110k/hr which is the dry weather limit on transcanada but due to the wintery condition, i wasn't even meant to go over 100k/hr.
....10 min walk felt like 10hrs grin, I worked field all through November in Sask winter. Na condition make crayfish bend sha.lol

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.