Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,167 members, 7,780,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:37 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1962993 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by crazyinlove: 4:44pm On Jan 02, 2018
For guys with COPR, please when you send your PUM and authorization letter to DHL, how do you know they have picked up your package from AVO.

I sent mine last week and they sent an email the same day that my pickup request has been processed.

I thought they are meant to send a tracking number because I am yet to yet one from them.

Thanks!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 5:58pm On Jan 02, 2018
crazyinlove:
For guys with COPR, please when you send your PUM and authorization letter to DHL, how do you know they have picked up your package from AVO.

I sent mine last week and they sent an email the same day that my pickup request has been processed.

I thought they are meant to send a tracking number because I am yet to yet one from them.

Thanks!!

I don't think they will give a tracking number. Not too sure. They will soon deliver to you, don't worry. They are pretty efficient in that regards.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rocorleone: 6:26pm On Jan 02, 2018
which one is ITA please? I just want to apply. How much points is the threshold to acceptance? And I heard it will require IELTS, so I'll need to write the exams though

einsteino:

sure. you could apply with your B.Eng if you receive an ITA. though completing your canadian M.Eng would give you far more points than your nigerian B.eng.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 6:32pm On Jan 02, 2018
crazyinlove:

Thanks!!

Why not reply to the mail and ask for the tracking number? If it has been processed, it should be available.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 6:34pm On Jan 02, 2018
XX01:

I don't think they will give a tracking number. Not too sure. They will soon deliver to you, don't worry. They are pretty efficient in that regards.

They do if you request for it. Helps you track and plan accordingly for pickup
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2018
Rocorleone:
which one is ITA please? I just want to apply. How much points is the threshold to acceptance? And I heard it will require IELTS, so I'll need to write the exams though

Go to https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

make sure you read at least page 0 & 1 of the above. though i think you should read about 20pages into it. when you are done with that, move to part 3 of the thread here https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianCherie: 9:05pm On Jan 02, 2018
Hello Nairaland people, been waiting on the PPR mail for a while and got this in the mail today.... does this mean PPR and did anyone get this before PPR and how long before PPR please...just want to know the next steps to take.

See below the mail for CIC
Congratulations. You are now a candidate for immigration to Canada.
You should think about how you will find a job in your field if you become permanent resident. Starting now will give you and your family members the best chance at finding a job that matches your skills, qualifications and work experience.
You can research:
• areas where workers in your field are in high demand, and
• what is required for your job and similar jobs you might be interested in.
In most cases, the things you need to find a job in Canada are different than for immigrating. This means you might need a new assessment of your education, skills, work experience and/or language skills to get a job in your field.
Gather your documents before you come to Canada to make the process easier. For example:
• degrees
• school transcripts
• proof of work history
• employer references, etc.
In Canada, some jobs are regulated to protect public health and safety. To work in a regulated job, you will need a licence or certificate from the regulatory body for your profession in the province or territory you want to live in.
You may need to submit certain documents, upgrade your education, and get on-the-job experience before you get a license or certificate to practice. Without a license or certificate, you will not be able to work in a regulated job in Canada. It can take time to get a license in Canada. Consider working in a related job while getting your license.
There are many other resources that can help you research how to work in your job in Canada. Check the website for the province or territory you want to live in to find out more.
If you are accepted to come to Canada, you can get free services before you come that will help you:
• learn about life in Canada
• find a job
• take steps to get your credentials recognized and
• you will also learn about other free services available after you arrive in Canada.
There are also free services to help you adjust to life in Canada once you arrive.
Sincerely,
Integration and Foreign Credential Referral Office Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zibah14: 9:07pm On Jan 02, 2018
Hi Ballerz,
Can you still help with the FRSC letter? I sent an email to ndlverification@frsc.gov.ng but have no response yet. I'm leaving Nigeria on 25th January and would appreciate help in getting the letter before then.
P.S. I sent an email to your public mailbox yesterday

Ballerz:

1 & 2. Yes Temporary License because they will post the license to your address within 90 days. So the one printed on paper can be used while waiting for the one in the mail.

With your FRSC License, and Letter, you will go for the knowledge test, then G1 road test or G2 road test. The letter makes you skip the waiting times (12 - 18 months before you can proceed to the next level test.) Check page 11 of the manual for better clarification. So with the letter you do the Knowledge Test proceed to G2 road test, pass and collect your G License.

Your Nigerian License is expired. The manual says "If you are a new resident of Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province or country, you can use that license for 60 days in Ontario. If you want to continue to drive after 60 days, you must get an Ontario driver's license."

You need to get that FRSC letter to claim waiver for the 2 years waiting time. I had previously posted where You can make a request via email to them. They collected the original of the letter. You must also present the Nig License because they will need to make a copy of it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 9:11pm On Jan 02, 2018
salford1:

Nothing is guaranteed in life. Bridging programs though helps in learning alot about the canadian work culture, building resumes or building professional networks in your field, some would even send you to local college to obtain certificates that could be 8 months long free of charge plus stipends, much still depends on preparation, luck, favour or fate or whatever you want to call it.

In my opinion, they are definetly worth it since it is at no cost to you. Some are even competitive to get on. e.g CCIS programs in Calgary. They could receive over 200 applications for 20 spots in some of their programs. You would go through series of tests and interviews.

Just like you, I know lots of people that still returned to schools after bridging programs. I also know some that returned to survival jobs after bridging programs, and I also know some that got good jobs after bridging programs. There are also some that never made use of them as well and still got good jobs.

To each his own. I personally prefer getting Canadian qualification if you have the time or money. A bridging program may not give you the highly coveted canadian education and some co-op programs could give up to 1 year of paid work experience.

Thanks for your honest feedback.

Has anyone gotten an internship placement through career edge with a non-canadian educational qualification? How did it go and what was the pay like?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rebarobyn: 9:21pm On Jan 02, 2018
Zibah14:
Hi Ballerz,
Can you still help with the FRSC letter? I sent an email to ndlverification@frsc.gov.ng but have no response yet. I'm leaving Nigeria on 25th January and would appreciate help in getting the letter before then.
P.S. I sent an email to your public mailbox yesterday

Hi Zibah14, Ballerz was suspended and has stopped visiting the forum since then. I'm not sure he'll get any message you post here, at least for now. Just follow up with your emails since its urgent.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 9:26pm On Jan 02, 2018
CanadianEnginee:

SINP Nahhhhh. I'll rather wait for Ontario PNP or wait for CRS cutoff to come down. My resumption is Fall 2018 and that is 8 months from today, it's still a long time to get ITA and PR. I'll prefer to defer the admission to Jan 2019 if PR doesn't come before then.

From the little research I've done, structural engineers are in high demand in North America.

@canadianenginee,

Why not SINP...any scoop?
It will be much appreciated.

It will all end in praise IJN!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zibah14: 9:36pm On Jan 02, 2018
Rebarobyn:

Hi Zibah14, Ballerz was suspended and has stopped visiting the forum since then. I'm not sure he'll get any message you post here, at least for now. Just follow up with your emails since its urgent.

Wow. Ok thanks a lot.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 02, 2018
Good evening house!
Please I need your help. I have a changed plan on my trip. I cancelled the hotel reservation I used for my visa and the reason being that my travel plan changed and also got a better offer in another hotel.
Now my questions, I hope there won't be any issue at Canada POE concerning these? And also I planned paying my hotel fee over there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Delta007(m): 9:48pm On Jan 02, 2018
Adeneyagrofeeds:
Good evening house!
Please I need your help. I have a changed plan on my trip. I cancelled the hotel reservation I used for my visa and the reason being that my travel plan changed and also got a better offer in another hotel.
Now my questions, I hope there won't be any issue at Canada POE concerning these? And also I planned paying my hotel fee over there
You should have no issue. Itineraries change every time and hotels do not work with immigration officers.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianEnginee(m): 9:51pm On Jan 02, 2018
TEECANN:

@canadianenginee,

Why not SINP...any scoop?
It will be much appreciated.

It will all end in praise IJN!

I just want Ontario because I have an offer of admission from a school there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2018
No its not PPR and there is no correlation with then PPR will come. Keep the faith.

CanadianCherie:
Hello Nairaland people, been waiting on the PPR mail for a while and got this in the mail today.... does this mean PPR and did anyone get this before PPR and how long before PPR please...just want to know the next steps to take.

See below the mail for CIC
Congratulations. You are now a candidate for immigration to Canada.
You should think about how you will find a job in your field if you become permanent resident. Starting now will give you and your family members the best chance at finding a job that matches your skills, qualifications and work experience.
You can research:
• areas where workers in your field are in high demand, and
• what is required for your job and similar jobs you might be interested in.
In most cases, the things you need to find a job in Canada are different than for immigrating. This means you might need a new assessment of your education, skills, work experience and/or language skills to get a job in your field.
Gather your documents before you come to Canada to make the process easier. For example:
• degrees
• school transcripts
• proof of work history
• employer references, etc.
In Canada, some jobs are regulated to protect public health and safety. To work in a

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 02, 2018
Delta007:

You should have no issue. Itineraries change every time and hotels do not work with immigration officers.

Thank u so much. One lov
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cisco123: 11:51pm On Jan 02, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 1:40am On Jan 03, 2018
flyhigh1881:

Hello,

Yes, I sent PR card through UPS and it got to Nigeria safely. It took about a week.

Ok. That's good to know thanks.
And did you have to declare what it was or it need to be done covertly?

There is no law against posting PR cards right?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by flyhigh1881: 1:51am On Jan 03, 2018
trishachi:

Ok. That's good to know thanks.
And did you have to declare what it was or it need to be done covertly?

There is no law against posting PR cards right?

Hello,
I declared because I asked and they checked and told me it is allowed so it wasn’t hidden.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 3:40am On Jan 03, 2018
I am beginning to enjoy this thread.
All the information being passed on here are really invaluable.
I am also considering the Fall '18 admission . My understanding is that MSc. being thesis based and usually funded is more competitive. M.Eng. which is course-based is usually self-funded. I have also found that the M.Eng programme is usually slightly more expensive than the MSc. programme.
I have never really given M.Eng a real thought before now, since I was applying as an international student. Now that I am a Canadian PR, I am seeming to favor it. Seniors in the house, please I need your input.
I have a 4.02/5.0 from a Federal Uni. I want to weigh my chances before applying. This one that I hear that UBC is bouncing 1st class guys.
I was in the telecom industry in Naija for about 4 years. I am looking to go for M Eng. or MSc. in Renewable Energy or related field. I am especially interested in a school with good coop/ internship opportunity.

Let's rub mind together abeg. This Canadian hustle shall end in praise.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 3:51am On Jan 03, 2018
Hi brethren (this matter don turn ministry) please I'd like to know if anyone here that landed in Canada in september 2017 has received his/her PR card? In november They sent me an email and letters requesting us to send fresh passport photographs cos they couldn't use the one
I sent when I was in naija (same pictures they used to issue COPR! the matter tire me!) And we've sent those. I heard from 2 other guys, one of them an Indian who has been here for a while, that they had d same experience. Have been waiting for the PR cards in the mail since but no news. Just curious to know if any one here that landed around the same time has received theirs
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yettyopy(f): 4:01am On Jan 03, 2018
Good evening House,

Please I need recommendations for cheap auto insurance. I got my g2 in oct 2017 and the insurance rate I am getting from brokers is quite expensive. Any suggestions??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Delta007(m): 4:06am On Jan 03, 2018
yettyopy:
Good evening House,

Please I need recommendations for cheap auto insurance. I got my g2 in oct 2017 and the insurance rate I am getting from brokers is quite expensive. Any suggestions??
What are you getting? What is reasonable to you? Your insurance quote depends on a number of factors including your driving experience, vehicle model and city/province.

If you are a costco member, you can explore the insurance company on the costco website.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 5:05am On Jan 03, 2018
yettyopy:
Good evening House,

what city or province are you..insurance in Toronto is the mot expensive, Ottawa is a bit high..place like Regina and Edmonton are cheaper...Quebec is cheeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaap

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chinchum(m): 5:07am On Jan 03, 2018
pauloverdi:
Hi brethren (this matter don turn ministry) please I'd like to know if anyone here that landed in Canada in september 2017 has received his/her PR card? In november They sent me an email and letters requesting us to send fresh passport photographs cos they couldn't use the one
I sent when I was in naija (same pictures they used to issue COPR! the matter tire me!) And we've sent those. I heard from 2 other guys, one of them an Indian who has been here for a while, that they had d same experience. Have been waiting for the PR cards in the mail since but no news. Just curious to know if any one here that landed around the same time has received theirs
Yes. Sept , and received in the mail by middle of October, even though i was told to expect in 3.5 months. Roughly 40 days after landing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 5:22am On Jan 03, 2018
Hello everyone,

Please a friend that is landing as a PR next month wants to know if a travel insurance from here is required or even useful. Kindly assist
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 6:07am On Jan 03, 2018
wildchild02:

I'm also an IT Professional, Networking to be precise. I really don't have issues working in Naija but reading stuffs on this section makes me twice either to go or remain here. What necessary certifications do you think I would need to come to Canada, thanks

Can someone help with this question please?

In my opinion, you have to do your research, find out which jobs are being advertised and where you can fit in. But it will also help to get some guidance from current IT professionals in Canada. I was going to ask the same question. It has been discussed in the beginning but that was in the first 30 pages or so and there were no specifics.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:19am On Jan 03, 2018
wildchild02:

I'm also an IT Professional, Networking to be precise. I really don't have issues working in Naija but reading stuffs on this section makes me twice either to go or remain here. What necessary certifications do you think I would need to come to Canada, thanks

Most definitely CCNA
Linux
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 03, 2018
pauloverdi:
Your PR Card is probably delayed because you sent the same picture they already have. Take the specification to a passport shop and take a new one. If you are still in Nigeria and want to travel to Canada, you can find out if they still grant emergency travel certificate.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:18am On Jan 03, 2018
DatechMan:
I am beginning to enjoy this thread.
All the information being passed on here are really invaluable.
I am also considering the Fall '18 admission . My understanding is that MSc. being thesis based and usually funded is more competitive. M.Eng. which is course-based is usually self-funded. I have also found that the M.Eng programme is usually slightly more expensive than the MSc. programme.
I have never really given M.Eng a real thought before now, since I was applying as an international student. Now that I am a Canadian PR, I am seeming to favor it. Seniors in the house, please I need your input.
I have a 4.02/5.0 from a Federal Uni. I want to weigh my chances before applying. This one that I hear that UBC is bouncing 1st class guys.
I was in the telecom industry in Naija for about 4 years. I am looking to go for M Eng. or MSc. in Renewable Energy or related field. I am especially interested in a school with good coop/ internship opportunity.

Let's rub mind together abeg. This Canadian hustle shall end in praise.

M.Eng and M.Sc could mean the same thing and different things, depending on the school. so its best you use "course-based/non-thesis" and "thesis/research" masters degree to help us know exactly what you are talking about.

To the matter at hand, there are no hard rules to these things, I know of a number of first class that was bounced by low rated schools like MUN, and ended up getting admitted by a higher rated school like U of A.

all you need to be eligible for admission is a 2:1, but as we already discussed, even a first class wouldnt guarantee you an admission... and this is applicable to not just UBC alone.

a number of factors determine your chances.. for some schools, the main hurdle is your ability to get a professor willing to be your supervisor in your thesis based program.. some would even say if they have no funding for you, you wouldnt be admitted as they dont allow one to self sponsor in their thesis masters program. then of course other things like Statement of intent, strong academic references and having publications in renonwed journals(few naija students have this). so a school may pick a 2:1 student over a first class student as a result of the above.

I no more have the flare for a thesis based program, and even then, non-thesis masters typically doesnt have the aforementioned hurdles/prerequisite. often times, a CV, and professional reference is all that you would need for non thesis. cutting out the tedious work of mailing and calling professors you have never met, in a bid to show them why you would be a plus to their research team, so as to get them to agree to be your supervisor.

you have to decide what your interest is, research or professional work? co-op is usually found in course-based/non-thesis program. I wouldnt advise you apply to a school solely because you think it would be easier to land their admission... instead apply to multiple schools, perhaps your choice school and a backup school.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wildchild02: 7:24am On Jan 03, 2018
TheCongo2:

Most definitely CCNA
Linux

Thanks bro.. I have CCNA already. So the PR is the best way to enter Canada yeah?

(1) (2) (3) ... (178) (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.