Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (188) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976450 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:09am On Jan 07, 2018
optionese:

*bolded * i laughed so hard.
my sister, me too oh cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:10am On Jan 07, 2018
releastaso:
Make I do gather money here run comot enter Canada.
I'd need guidance in about 10months time about migration to Canada. Federal skilled or Residence.
I'm a medical doctor doing my nysc.
I even need guidance now.
Sorry if I'm trying to ask what's already been answered. .
Make una help una boy. Wado ! wink
click on my moniker (that's my username) and read my posts going back to june 2016.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:13am On Jan 07, 2018
yungreezy:
Hello guys!

So I got my ppr at the beginning of the week and now I can properly join the group. Here's a bit of my profile as I would be needing advice on how to change career paths back to IT.

First degree: IT
Experience: Banking - funds transfer, customer service.
Certification: CCNA(expired though)

Pls what steps can I take to get back into the IT field. Any bridging program I can partake in? Certifications to get before landing that could get my foot in the door.
I'll suggest you take a diploma in the area of IT you are interested in. Make sure your program has a co-op module. In the mean time you can take customer service job with telecoms and banks. RBC customer service pays well.

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:16am On Jan 07, 2018
Jonbeezy:

hello maternal. i sent u a PM. pls do reply. thanx.

No vex, email doesn't work. Can you say it here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:33am On Jan 07, 2018
Delta007:

This is wrong on so many levels.

Two Points:
- Entitlement is not exclusive to Caucasians. Furthermore, the calculation for the unemployment rate typically excludes people that are not looking for jobs.
- There are several reasons that contribute to unemployment in Canada including (but not limited to) government policies, job seasonality (which affects thousands of Canadians) and obviously the recent oil price crash (which has slowed down the economy especially in the West).

Entitlement is not exclusive to race, but white use more social services than minorities, despite usually being better sound economically. That says something. No ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jonbeezy(m): 2:28am On Jan 07, 2018
maternal:

No vex, email doesn't work. Can you say it here.

i have read your comments before last year on this section. i think you are in d best position to give me some tips.
pls bro...i want to immigrate to canada,i plan to go for Express entry. i saw d registration requirements . i want to ask you,what amt is cool for the networth funds.
secondly,these immigration law firms like Campbell Cohen, are they paid for their services and when?

also i would like to know if it is possible for one to get a visa to canada while the application is still on for permanent residency . can i get to work without permit if i do so.
meanwhile i want to work and live in a province like Alberta.

i look forward to ur response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 3:44am On Jan 07, 2018
Ediku126:
Any postgraduate scholarship (fully funded by the school not government) available?

It is too early in the new year for questions like this.

No valuable information in the question at all.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Delta007(m): 4:35am On Jan 07, 2018
maternal:

Entitlement is not exclusive to race, but white use more social services than minorities, despite usually being better sound economically. That says something. No ?
I do not debate conjectures. Provide the studies/facts (per capita usage) and we can have a reasonable discussion.

Regardless, the unemployment rate calculation does not consider folks that are not in the job market. So, I'm not sure where this is going.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 4:52am On Jan 07, 2018
maziude:

It is too early in the new year for questions like this.
No valuable information in the question at all.
cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 6:49am On Jan 07, 2018
I'm back people with yet another of my recent experience with career advancement in Canada. So you guys remember me telling you all how I got two jobs and was spoilt for choice over which to pick. Well to refresh those that may have forgotten I chose the big firm (even though the position was temporary and entry level hourly operator while the other was permanent ,full time but for a smaller firm) because I believed it had better prospects for career growth.

Well I took my humble pie and resumed for the hourly operator job on 2nd January and we were all placed on a 3day orientation and training program. It went on like that up until Thurs when something dramatic happened. After we have been dispersed to head to our various departments, as I was waiting in the lobby with my other colleagues for our department rep, I was approached by the operations manager who asked if I could spare him 5mins of my time. I obliged and he took me to a meeting room and we were immediately joined by another manager. I sensed I was going to be interviewed again, so I quickly psyched myself. The operations manager started by telling me he needed a new group manager in his department as one of his guys just got promoted and moved to another location and he feels I can fill that position. The next 30-45mins was a grilling but yet refreshing interview where I was mainly asked competency based questions that required I relate my answers very well to my past experiences (which all came from Nigeria).

Afterwards I left the interview feeling like what just happened and went back to join the rest of my hourly operator crew only for the heads upstairs to send for me again after like 30mins. When I came up this time, the operations manager was there to receive me and then he told me there is someone he will like me to meet. This time it was the overall Plant manager who is the top boss in the Edmonton plant. I almost froze to the floor but then as omo naija my head quickly correct grin. After a firm handshake with the Plant manager I was taken to a larger conference room just me and him. Then he started interviewing me again. As usual I kept relating my answers to past work experiences from Nigeria. In the end he thanked me and encouraged me to keep developing myself especially in the new job I was being offered as they strictly apply meritocracy in career advancement in d organization.

I closed from work that still perplexed at how fast my fortunes are about to change. I got home and was still narrating the whole ordeal to my wife when I got a call from the operations manager that I have got the job and if I'm willing to accept the offer. I answered in the affirmative. Then he asked me to come into the plant the next day(we were billed to attend a safety training off-site as the hourly operators) as I need to sign a new offer letter and start immediately on the new management position I was offered.

So people that was how I started the year/week as a floor staff but ended the week as a first-line manager. The purpose of my sharing this story is not to in any way pride in my efforts because I owe everything I am to God but to encourage someone/anyone who can dare to believe in the impossible. Yes miracles still do happen. It's not by he that runneth but on the Lord that showeth mercy. Be courageous my fellow naija Canadians. Go out there and claim what's yours!

Peace.

187 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 7:18am On Jan 07, 2018
freeradical:
I'm back people with yet another of my recent experience with career advancement in Canada. So you guys remember me telling you all how I got two jobs and was spoilt for choice over which to pick. Well to refresh those that may have forgotten I chose the big firm (even though the position was temporary and entry level hourly operator while the other was permanent ,full time but for a smaller firm) because I believed it had better prospects for career growth.

Well I took my humble pie and resumed for the hourly operator job on 2nd January and we were all placed on a 3day orientation and training program. It went on like that up until Thurs when something dramatic happened. After we have been dispersed to head to our various departments, as I was waiting in the lobby with my other colleagues for our department rep, I was approached by the operations manager who asked if I could spare him 5mins of my time. I obliged and he took me to a meeting room and we were immediately joined by another manager. I sensed I was going to be interviewed again, so I quickly psyched myself. The operations manager started by telling me he needed a new group manager in his department as one of his guys just got promoted and moved to another location and he feels I can fill that position. The next 30-45mins was a grilling but yet refreshing interview where I was mainly asked competency based questions that required I relate my answers very well to my past experiences (which all came from Nigeria).

Afterwards I left the interview feeling like what just happened and went back to join the rest of my hourly operator crew only for the heads upstairs to send for me again after like 30mins. When I came up this time, the operations manager was there to receive me and then he told me there is someone he will like me to meet. This time it was the overall Plant manager who is the top boss in the Edmonton plant. I almost froze to the floor but then as omo naija my head quickly correct grin. After a firm handshake with the Plant manager I was taken to a larger conference room just me and him. Then he started interviewing me again. As usual I kept relating my answers to past work experiences from Nigeria. In the end he thanked me and encouraged me to keep developing myself especially in the new job I was being offered as they strictly apply meritocracy in career advancement in d organization.

I closed from work that still perplexed at how fast my fortunes are about to change. I got home and was still narrating the whole ordeal to my wife when I got a call from the operations manager that I have got the job and if I'm willing to accept the offer. I answered in the affirmative. Then he asked me to come into the plant the next day(we were billed to attend a safety training off-site as the hourly operators) as I need to sign a new offer letter and start immediately on the new management position I was offered.

So people that was how I started the year/week as a floor staff but ended the week as a first-line manager. The purpose of my sharing this story is not to in any way pride in my efforts because I owe everything I am to God but to encourage someone/anyone who can dare to believe in the impossible. Yes miracles still do happen. It's not by he that runneth but on the Lord that showeth mercy. Be courageous my fellow naija Canadians. Go out there and claim what's yours!

Peace.

Congratulations.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by moyinoluwa1: 7:22am On Jan 07, 2018
freeradical:
I'm back people with yet another of my recent experience

Peace.

Waoh Waoh. Congratulations Freeradical. I am very happy for you. All the best in your new role.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by optionese: 7:33am On Jan 07, 2018
vcole:
my sister, me too oh cheesy

Happy new year Sisi. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 7:35am On Jan 07, 2018
@Freeradical what a testimony. Congratulations on your new role!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 7:39am On Jan 07, 2018
I love your story and I must congratulate you. It must have been God and Hes just starting with you, He will see you through.

For me, I tap into your faith and breakthrough!
Big Congratulations!

Peace. [/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by optionese: 7:41am On Jan 07, 2018
[/b]
freeradical:

So people that was how I started the year/week as a floor staff but ended the week as a first-line manager. [b]The purpose of my sharing this story is not to in any way pride in my efforts because I owe everything I am to God but to encourage someone/anyone who can dare to believe in the impossible
. Yes miracles still do happen. It's not by he that runneth but on the Lord that showeth mercy. Be courageous my fellow naija Canadians. Go out there and claim what's yours!

Peace.
*at bolded* Baba you should be very proud . I think speak for myself and probably everyone whos on this journey . The whole idea of this thread (God bless @ohunt for it) is for success stories like this. God continue to prosper you and your family

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hafsat24(f): 7:45am On Jan 07, 2018
Wow @freeradical..im just too happy for you..what a sweet note to start the year.. I believe God is truly ordering your steps..this is just the beginning to yet better and greater opportunities to come your way cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rchilee: 7:50am On Jan 07, 2018
wow congratulations @freeradical this is so awesome

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rchilee: 7:50am On Jan 07, 2018
wow congratulations @freeradical this is so awesome shocked

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 7:59am On Jan 07, 2018
vcole:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Na true na. cheesy cheesy cheesy.

I no just want too vex this early for the new year.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yungreezy: 8:19am On Jan 07, 2018
honey86:

I'll suggest you take a diploma in the area of IT you are interested in. Make sure your program has a co-op module. In the mean time you can take customer service job with telecoms and banks. RBC customer service pays well.

Thanks for the response. Will start looking out for courses in IT Business Analysis/Intelligence with coop option. If you know any good one I'd appreciate your recommendation.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jonbeezy(m): 8:26am On Jan 07, 2018
freeradical:

Peace.

Wow ! what a lovely way to start the new year. you are blessed ooh! you really know your onions bro. congrats.
please,is it possible to get a job in Canada without enrolling for any of the immigration programmes,that is without being a permanent resident? do i need a work permit for that?? i do not want to go through d process of an LMIA. you know the reasons of course. i need your response bro.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by telias: 8:31am On Jan 07, 2018
[quote author=freeradical

Peace. [/quote]

Good report. More and more testimonies like this.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caon: 11:18am On Jan 07, 2018
freeradical:

Peace.
indeed this is God at work.congrats

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 11:19am On Jan 07, 2018
maziude:

Bros, I never start blog oh.
Bro! Guess you are good. I just sent you a pm. Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 11:54am On Jan 07, 2018
@freeradical Congratulations! Continue to enjoy and achieve.

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all."

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Inception12: 12:29pm On Jan 07, 2018
Am also interested in this question. In addition, which province would be the best for a statistician or data analyst to settle in, in order to get a job fairly quickly?
yungreezy:

Thanks for the response. Will start looking out for courses in IT Business Analysis/Intelligence with coop option. If you know any good one I'd appreciate your recommendation.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Inception12: 12:34pm On Jan 07, 2018
A key reason that immigrants who live in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta enjoy higher levels of employment than immigrants residing in other parts of Canada is that these three provinces have consistently had the lowest unemployment rates in Canada over the past several years. Thus, many people who are looking for jobs in Canada find excellent employment opportunities in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, due to the ongoing shortage of skilled workers there. Additionally, these three Canadian provinces offer a high standard of living, yet tend to have a low cost of living which many Canadian residents find attractive. Therefore, if you want to live in Canada, you might want to consider moving to Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Alberta where there is a high demand for skilled foreign workers[color=#000099][/color]

To all the seniors in the group, how true is this statement. Just seen it on a canadavisa website during my research.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dfanz: 12:40pm On Jan 07, 2018
freeradical:
I'm back people with yet another of my recent experience with career advancement in Canada.

Peace.

Wow. Big congrats to you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Arielle: 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2018
Hi all. Please what is the employment outlook in the non profit sector in canada? My friend is about to enter a masters program in development (I think something to do with sustainability and program management), in the UK. She plans to move to Canada after her program, do a PhD and work in the non profit sector and then start her own consultancy. Is anyone familiar with this sector?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mosquitoway: 1:25pm On Jan 07, 2018
Hi everyone, i am not sure if this is the right thread, but i will try, i welcome all the new comers to canada, it is indeed a splendid place. I came to Canada in 2013 and recently bagged my canadian passport, i am a commercial pilot flying private planes based out of ottawa. I am writing this post as i intend returning to Nigeria, I will call it an invitation to swap lives if it makes sense..lol, i see a lot of people are moving to ottawa. I am looking for an opportunity for a house, car and furniture exchange. I am looking for a place in ikeja to be close to the airport. I stay in a modern 2 bedroom apartment with utilities etc. I am a bachelor and happy to go home so please do not try to convince me otherwise.my aim is to hit the ground running like i never left, any help is appreciated.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by optionese: 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2018
mosquitoway:
Hi everyone, i am not sure if this is the right thread, but i will try, i welcome all the new comers to canada, it is indeed a splendid place. I came to Canada in 2013 and recently bagged my canadian passport, i am a commercial pilot flying private planes based out of ottawa. I am writing this post as i intend returning to Nigeria, I will call it an invitation to swap lives if it makes sense..lol, i see a lot of people are moving to ottawa. I am looking for an opportunity for a house, car and furniture exchange. I am looking for a place in ikeja to be close to the airport. I stay in a modern 2 bedroom apartment with utilities etc. I am a bachelor and happy to go home so please do not try to convince me otherwise.my aim is to hit the ground running like i never left, any help is appreciated.

MR PILOT we won't try to change your mind but we just want to tell you one or two things .
*side eye* *raised eyebrows* *eyes popping out of socket *

Welcome back(Abi safe journey) to Nigeria.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.