Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (194) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979684 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by xtacycares(m): 11:39am On Jan 10, 2018
Please someone should help me to attend to this questions please.....
xtacycares:
Hello beautiful and handsome people of this great room...please i have been following the trends for sometimes now, though i still find it somehow difficult to use nairaland nor follow the trends at a go...please i need someone to educate me on the introduction and step by step to apply for Canadan PR, what and what i should know even the fees am going to pay,because i believe its the best idea for me to know some of this question before embarking on this life changing decision ..please i need the guru to attend to my situation and use less
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 12:23pm On Jan 10, 2018
xtacycares:

Hi.. Please follow the link

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dtush(f): 12:51pm On Jan 10, 2018
rainazoe:
Hey @boldinc can you recommend some programs. There are several around and it can be overwhelming. Thanks

Biko, can i get a list of the 'several". Know about only one which i have completed already.(Food and safety)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by policy12: 12:57pm On Jan 10, 2018
dtush:

Biko, can i get a list of the 'several". Know about only one which i have completed already.(Food and safety)

Please how do you registered for the program, I am interested pls guide me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 2:38pm On Jan 10, 2018

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:05pm On Jan 10, 2018
vascey:
Came across this infographic on Quora

https://www.quora.com/In-Canada-is-real-estate-and-cost-of-living-in-Calgary-lower-than-Vancouver-and-Toronto

Wow ... The average home price in West Vancouver is $1,757,000. This is by far the highest in the country.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Only1babadee: 3:11pm On Jan 10, 2018
xtacycares:

You're on the wrong thread, Please visit this link https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
Start from Page Zero, then ask your questions there.

Regards
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 3:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
Some of the ones I have had the opportunity to register and participate in are:

FPHRC (FOOD PROCESSING HUMAN RESOURCES COUNCIL) www.fphrc.com - This comes with 12 certificates... gives you an edge if you consider exploring the Food and Beverage Industry. There are 21 course to be completed in 30 days. Once you complete them, your certificates would be mailed to you and an online webinar graduation where potential employers would also attend and you would be introduced to them.

SOPA (Settlement Online Pre Arrival) https://secure.settlementonlineprearrival.ca/login/index.php - This comes with 5 courses, not sure if any certificates are issued yet, but you are assigned a mentor you book an appointment with, to help create and assess a plan personalized for you, also review your CV and cover letter.

Prepcan www.prepcan.ca - You are assigned a mentor to help review your CV and cover letter and also give tips on how to connect with potential employers, where to and how to communicate with them. You start off with 45 minutes call from the mentor to assess where you are and you keep in touch until your arrival, where they link you up with post settlement organizations.

NextStopCanada (YMCA) https://nextstopcanada.force.com - If I remember correctly, they are linked with PrepCan. Got the reminder email for my assessment from PrepCan.

Prepare for Canada www.prepareforcanada.com

CanPrep https://www.jvstoronto.org/pre-arrival/canprep/

All these are details from my personal experiences with them... Apart from the Mentors, training, etc, all these websites are full of webinars that would help a lot.

Wish you all the best!

yungreezy:

Please can you recommend some of these programs? I just got my ppr and have sent my passport. I can start preparing now.

49 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 3:28pm On Jan 10, 2018
Hi dtush. You have been away for a while. How's your application coming up?
dtush:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 3:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
DatechMan:

Mississauga. McLaughlin Derry.

Czaratwork. Help the ministry of the Lord o. Make I PM u asap.

Let's have lunch on Saturday. Bill on me.
Choose anywhere you love to explore
Holla via PM. let us agree time.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 3:50pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ballerz:

Red Lobsters or anywhere you choose.

Correct Guy!!!
Canadian Oil money on the roll.
Tuale Baba.. Do it like you are doing it for TV grin grin
MTN..."Anywhere you Choose"... my 2018 motto.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 3:50pm On Jan 10, 2018
damidamsel:
Awesome morning to you all..

Also @Ballerz, Please i tried sending you a PM....Please anyone else who can also assist with FRSC letter. Been sending emails to all their emails for over a month now but no response. My brother walked into their office in Abuja and the person he was directed to told him there's no letter like that. Can you imagine?

I just tire...Please any info or help will be highly appreciated.

Sent him a reminder. I BCC yourself and the rest. I will see his response later in the day.
Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by optionese: 4:05pm On Jan 10, 2018
MummyJaygirls:
i went to church yesterday, oyibo ways are really not the ways of black man o,

see small children taking holy communion, meanwhile for naija if u never reach 13yrs and attended like 3 months confirmation classes, notin for u.

at the end of service, the lady in front of me said she liked my singing voice, o boy, music career loading, lol

LOL are you Catholic? In my parish catechism class starts at age 7.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 4:49pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ballerz:

Can i tag along?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 4:53pm On Jan 10, 2018
Anytime I read though he comments hear I'm always pleasantly amazed at the depth o knowledge and insight we have access to for free here. God bless all of you who share your experience freely here. It really helps a lot of people around the world. Pls I need advice on an issue. I just got a new job offer that's in my field (technical maintenance and repairs) and I like the learning opportunity it offers and also the Canadian experience in my field. But I'm having second tots about taking it for the following reasons: 1. It's 3 hrs away from the city where I currently reside with my family so I will have to commute daily, weekly, or move there. 2. I already have a customer service job that pays like $7 less but my present job has opportunities for bonuses from sales which can be more than your salary in a good month. My wife works at same job and if we move together for d New job she will have to stop work. That means temporary loss of second income. 3. The new job is a one man business but my present job is with a national organization so the medical and other plans are better than with the new offer and I'm considering this cos I have kids. 4. If I move alone temporarily I will have to incure additional rent expenses and other costs that would've been shared if I dey with family. 5. Because the loction of the new job offer is in a bigger city, expenses there are a bit higher ( cost of renting, childcare, future house purchase etc) than where I am now. But there are also more job opportunities in a bigger city with higher salaries.

The main reason I'm still considering the new offer is because it's in my field and the few days I spent trying it out showed there is a lot to learn from the job. I'm just scared of jumping from a tree I am familiar with to an unknown, smaller, but promising tree. The bills are already lined up and there is no room for error (lol) but my heart really wants the new job cos it's in my field and I will derive joy from doing it. But is joy all that matters? Please advice

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kissoflife: 5:12pm On Jan 10, 2018
Hello All,
a wonderful thread here. Awaiting my Copr but need one or two advice on the career paths i could pursue in canada

I am an Electrical engineering technologists and i mainly have my experience in Oil and gas (1.5 yrs) and Computer hardware & Newtworking (0.5 yr). I only have certifications in oil and gas but i would love to switch to IT or computer hardware.

I am also aware I need to be registered professionally to practice as a technologist. So how easy can I get a job in IT with my experience?

Not yet sure where to settle but I am considering BC, Manitoba & Ontario. what are the career prospects in these provinces?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dtush(f): 5:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
Newmum0615:
Hi dtush. You have been away for a while. How's your application coming up?

Hi Newmum. LVO cannot gimme heart attack. So I decided to just take a chill pill. My gcms notes shows everything is fine. So it's just a waiting game now. Thanks for asking. Appreciate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dtush(f): 5:42pm On Jan 10, 2018
policy12:

Please how do you registered for the program, I am interested pls guide me.

Please refer to boldinc's response. Just follow the instructions .all the best
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianCherie: 5:59pm On Jan 10, 2018
[quote author=dtush post=64072875]

Hi Newmum. LVO cannot gimme heart attack. So I decided to just take a chill pill. My gcms notes shows everything is fine. So it's just a waiting game now.

Hello dtush and everyone, can you please share the link you used in applying for your GCMS notes...planning to do same and seeing quite a number of links online....just want to be sure I’m using a genuine one. Thanks in advance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by damidamsel: 6:19pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ballerz:

Sent him a reminder. I BCC yourself and the rest. I will see his response later in the day.
Cheers

Thanks....but please i didn't get the email. Kindly let me know his response later. Thanks alot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 6:37pm On Jan 10, 2018
DatechMan:

Really? Oga Blackbuddy. I go like to meet you o.

Make I PM you asap

Hi chief, I've replied your PM smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2018
olajide21:

Can i tag along?

Sure. Why not.
I can take you guys to CN Towers. Weather seems to be improving. Today is 4 degrees.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2018
Hi guys,I am new to this thread. First of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I am considering a canadian move this year after much deliberation and thoughts.

I currently have a job which gross is about 2.7m take home 2.1m annually.

I have a UK degree no masters yet. I lived there during as well but their immigration rules didnt favour

I am sick and tired of being in a country where electricity and water is a luxury where in other climes, its a basic necessity.

All I need is advice, if canada will pay off, I would love to be guided, if it wont. Please advice and God bless us all.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 6:59pm On Jan 10, 2018
damidamsel:

Thanks....but please i didn't get the email. Kindly let me know his response later. Thanks alot

Are you sure you sent mail to my gmail?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by damidamsel: 7:59pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ballerz:

No i only sent a request via this platform
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mclarry(m): 8:25pm On Jan 10, 2018
Stay in the current job based on the following reasons:
Pros:
1. Current job/pay is just below $7 and bonuses from sales can offset that
2. You and wifey are earning, family income still higher
3. National organization with benefit plans to cover family
4. Lower cost of living

Cons:
1. New job requires 3 hour commuting
2. Wifey loses her job, family earning decreases and burden falls on you
3. One man business will lack organizational structure and benefits do not cover family. Providing them for family will erode your earnings.
4. Higher cost of living associated with big cities

You have been looking at things from your own perspective(my field). Consider wifey as well. I believe she would love to be busy and supportive rather than sit at home while you bear all the financial burden. In my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros. So my advice is that you stay put on your current job and city, wait for similar opportunity in you current location. You can also hone your skills in what you are doing currently. Be open to new careers and opportunities and don't clink on the phrase "my field". If you find another opportunity in your field, maybe in another big city, use the pros and cons model above.

Cheers!

pauloverdi:
Anytime I read though he comments hear I'm always pleasantly amazed at the depth o knowledge and insight we have access to for free here. God bless all of you who share your experience freely here. It really helps a lot of people around the world. Pls I need advice on an issue. I just got a new job offer that's in my field (technical maintenance and repairs) and I like the learning opportunity it offers and also the Canadian experience in my field. But I'm having second tots about taking it for the following reasons: 1. It's 3 hrs away from the city where I currently reside with my family so I will have to commute daily, weekly, or move there. 2. I already have a customer service job that pays like $7 less but my present job has opportunities for bonuses from sales which can be more than your salary in a good month. My wife works at same job and if we move together for d New job she will have to stop work. That means temporary loss of second income. 3. The new job is a one man business but my present job is with a national organization so the medical and other plans are better than with the new offer and I'm considering this cos I have kids. 4. If I move alone temporarily I will have to incure additional rent expenses and other costs that would've been shared if I dey with family. 5. Because the loction of the new job offer is in a bigger city, expenses there are a bit higher ( cost of renting, childcare, future house purchase etc) than where I am now. But there are also more job opportunities in a bigger city with higher salaries.

The main reason I'm still considering the new offer is because it's in my field and the few days I spent trying it out showed there is a lot to learn from the job. I'm just scared of jumping from a tree I am familiar with to an unknown, smaller, but promising tree. The bills are already lined up and there is no room for error (lol) but my heart really wants the new job cos it's in my field and I will derive joy from doing it. But is joy all that matters? Please advice

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TBDL: 9:46pm On Jan 10, 2018
I'll definitely love to hook up with you when i finally make my landing.
This is Os. k from FRSC letter mails .

Great guy you are!! I really appreciate your assistance!

Ballerz:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pcachuks(f): 10:25pm On Jan 10, 2018
My suggestion is that you should move to where you found the new job so you don't have to commute 3 hours.

mclarry:
Stay in the current job based on the following reasons:
Pros:
1. Current job/pay is just below $7 and bonuses from sales can offset that
2. You and wifey are earning, family income still higher
3. National organization with benefit plans to cover family
4. Lower cost of living

Cons:
1. New job requires 3 hour commuting
2. Wifey loses her job, family earning decreases and burden falls on you
3. One man business will lack organizational structure and benefits do not cover family. Providing them for family will erode your earnings.
4. Higher cost of living associated with big cities

You have been looking at things from your own perspective(my field). Consider wifey as well. I believe she would love to be busy and supportive rather than sit at home while you bear all the financial burden. In my opinion, the cons outweigh the pros. So my advice is that you stay put on your current job and city, wait for similar opportunity in you current location. You can also hone your skills in what you are doing currently. Be open to new careers and opportunities and don't clink on the phrase "my field". If you find another opportunity in your field, maybe in another big city, use the pros and cons model above.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:35pm On Jan 10, 2018
@paulverdi, I really don't know what to advise........I think I agree with the pros and cons mclarry put up. However, is the offer from the other job that aligns with your area of expertise good? Apart from the $7 difference in pay, what are the benefits and how do they compare to your current gig? Is commuting while your family remains where you are right now an option for you? If it is, would the cost of commuting make a significant dent in family income? If y'all choose to move to the new city, would your cost of living increase? Are there more job prospects for y'all in the new city in comparison to your current location?
So many questions but I think at the end of the day you would have to crunch the numbers and figure out what the financial implication is on your family income and cost of living if you accept the new gig and then decide if it is something y'all can afford to handle keeping in view your long term career goals.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:38pm On Jan 10, 2018
@boldinc great job! @ pre arrival research and prep
@dtush *e hugs* soon and very soon. @mummyjaygirls, no new exciting/amusing gist? How's the cold doing you now?
@damidamsel i spy you. @ballerz, eez lyk some of us wee pack and run to Toronto oh. Ahn ahn.
Greetings to all.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 4:17am On Jan 11, 2018
Ballerz:

Yipee

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 6:27am On Jan 11, 2018
alt3r3g0:

I had this same question prior to (short) landing, let me just share my experience and lessons learnt.

When we landed, the officer asked for an addy, i told him i will send it later online but he insisted i gave him one even if it was temporary, that i can change it later within a 3 week period. He also gave me a number to call to do so. The number always directed me to an answering machine that "everyone is busy i should raise a CSE" and then after two weeks of callls, i raised a CSE for me and my spouse (Copy paste same message) to update the address and we both got auto-response mails from cic a few seconds later.

I linked my PR card application to my cic and got an email when it was approved. A few days later, My wife got an email (her address on the email was the new address) about sending another passport. So i am thinking, since her address was updated, then mine must be updated as well right? WRONG!!

After another two weeks of no pr card, contacted CIC to ask when and what addy they sent my Pr card. Turns out it was the first addy i gave at POE. Anyways, any system with humans will be prone to errors.

So it's best to keep it simple. If you already have someone that can keep it safe for you, just give them that addy right away. I know someone that gave an address with a different province at POE and no issues (This was after my case though).

If you don't have that address, then maybe raise a CSE and request they acknowledge the change of addy.

Then link your PR card so you know in time when things start to go south.

Pls how do you link the PR card application and how does it work.?

(1) (2) (3) ... (191) (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.