Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (219) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979781 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:54pm On Feb 03, 2018
Adiahabasi:
Thanks @ senior Salford and Vcole. You guys are right! Came across the crime stats for Calgary(2017), shows same...just didnt want it to be a case of giving a dog a bad name and hanging it.The rent as compared to NW isn't so low for condos/apartments almost about same range.However, NE seems to have loads and loads of cheap basements shocked
To be honest as a new landed immigrant in Calgary I really wouldn't pick the NW as a first place to settle. It is a lovely area but most areas are largely "suburban" for the lack of a better description. Also transit isn't so great there as the lrt only gets up to a point and you're left with the bus. So the NW closer to downtown is probably better in terms of transit. Also driving means hitting deerfoot or crowchild trail which are the major highways connecting the NW to the south or downtown. This would mean having to deal with traffic if/when there are accidents. Another thing to consider is that most jobs are located downtown or in the south. That being said, the NW is a lovely area grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 7:57pm On Feb 03, 2018
Nogen:
Hello Nairaland Family! Been awhile I visited. Congrats to Bigfido, and to those who got their PPR and jobs.I have had 3 weeks of lectures and it is not beans.
Hi Nogen. Well done. I totally get you. I went back to school as well in January and it's been all due dates and deadlines in my head. Really crazy doing it with kids. It's a whole different ball game. I've been waiting on my grades for 2 papers I turned in last week like the second coming. Lol! Hang in there. Hopefully ur folks would be here soon.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 03, 2018
LesbianBoy:

Are you going there to study or what grin grin
Maybe, maybe not.... Oya answer my question. Thank God you laughed sef. Good mood tonight.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 6:10am On Feb 04, 2018
vcole:
To be honest as a new landed immigrant in Calgary I really wouldn't pick the NW as a first place to settle. It is a lovely area but most areas are largely "suburban" for the lack of a better description. Also transit isn't so great there as the lrt only gets up to a point and you're left with the bus. So the NW closer to downtown is probably better in terms of transit. Also driving means hitting deerfoot or crowchild trail which are the major highways connecting the NW to the south or downtown. This would mean having to deal with traffic if/when there are accidents. Another thing to consider is that most jobs are located downtown or in the south. That being said, the NW is a lovely area grin
Thanks so much Vcole. Didnt know all this! So the SW or SE are preferable areas for newcomers right? Downtown as well? Kids aren't of school age yet so more particular about a good transit system since I don't intend to start driving immediately. All the best with acada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:44am On Feb 04, 2018
Adiahabasi:
Thanks so much Vcole. Didnt know all this! So the SW or SE are preferable areas for newcomers right? Downtown as well? Kids aren't of school age yet so more particular about a good transit system since I don't intend to start driving immediately. All the best with acada.
Thanks. My opinion is realllyyy subjective oh so you'll certainly need more informed opinions but if I were to pick I would say the SW and then deep south which is like the part of the SW close to the SE. There are areas in the SE that also have their issues lol! Downtown may not be great for you as per lil kids.... In no particular order these are the communities I would prefer to live in and would recommend if asked.....Sundance, Lake chapparal, Walden, Mahogany, Copperfield, New brighton, Milrise, Evergreen, Fish creek, Shawnessy, Somerset, Bridlewood, Silverado, Spring bank, Mckenzie towne.
Try to also look up areas with good school districts.....it sorta gives you a lil guide towards where you wanna live.
I think @salford1 and @maternal will be able to shed more light on this issue.

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 8:39am On Feb 04, 2018
Hi! Please does anyone have contact details of a tax expert I can speak to Re: Income tax enquiries/filing? Preferably someone who has been tried & trusted.

Eagerly await your responses. Many thanks....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 8:53am On Feb 04, 2018
Welcome to Canada!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 9:25am On Feb 04, 2018
ah warridis!!!

MummyJaygirls:
Welcome to Canada!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:00pm On Feb 04, 2018
LesbianBoy:

What is the question? angry

Your moniker though! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 2:05pm On Feb 04, 2018
Seniors i have come again o.

Please what is the process for a widower with 4 kids to seek asylum in Canada for his kids who they want to take away from him?

Please you can refer me to the right thread. I don become immigration consultant o.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 2:34pm On Feb 04, 2018
Canadianfly:

If na Maternal make this comment, una and madam Aussie go come for am. Haters. grin

Don't mind them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 2:45pm On Feb 04, 2018
MummyJaygirls:
Welcome to Canada!

I hope that frozen car isn't yours? How often do people change their car battery in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 2:46pm On Feb 04, 2018
@mummyjaygirs greetings from the other side of the snow cheesy
Please Edmonton peeps, what areas are to be avoided? I would need to be in Edmonton in a couple of weeks for a few days and I'm trying to book an airbnb place. I'll have stuff to do downtown and around WEM but would be driving so won't mind staying within a 20 min drive of that radius. Thanks in advance. Cc: @salford1 and anyone else with info on Edmonton
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 2:50pm On Feb 04, 2018
olajide21:

I hope that frozen car isn't yours? How often do people change their car battery in Canada?
well, you just jump start it if it's too frigid outside and the car doesn't start. I have a rechargeable jump starter kit, pretty easy to use.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaAlien: 3:08pm On Feb 04, 2018
I would like to appeal that when we post information like this and start it with themes such as - am an expert in this subject,
we support it with research materials (weblink). Providing information as a matter of fact when at best is debatable can be misleading especially info like this that is medical and knowledge is limited. Let us give others a chance to read up on their own.
Thanks @vcole for your post, which is such a relief from this scary one.
freeradical:
Sorry for bringing u back to this but I just feel to chip in my own position on this matter because it's a health issue and a little baby is involved. I studied biochemistry and I know for a fact that X-ray damage DNA. Then if u consider that the neonate you are carrying is still undergoing a lot of cell division as they grow the risk of DNA damage resulting in a mutation is quite high at this stage.

I know others have done it and their children came out fine but that doesn't in any way eliminate the risk. The lead apron mitigates the risk but doesn't eliminate it completely. DNA damage once it occurs can never be reversed. Sometimes these things go unnoticed because it may not present any symptoms now until much later when d damaged DNA needs to start producing it's own protein. That may be at puberty or even much later in the child's life and then no one will link the effect to the real cause.

So based on this I advise you wait. Canada is always there and will still be there after ur baby is born. I was in the same boat too. My wife was 7months pregnant when we got ITA and I had to make this choice. I chose to not put my baby at risk in any way cos I would not forgive myself if anything were to happen to him as a result of a poor decision from me.

Now you know the full gist. Make an informed decision and I wish you a successful resettlement in Canada

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaAlien: 3:15pm On Feb 04, 2018
I would like to ask about the tipping culture over there. As a 9ja citizen, I only tip when am pleased with a service, but I hear it is almost compulsory in Canada. Does this cover every service we receive such as having a hairdo or is there a clue for us to know when to tip?! shocked

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:19pm On Feb 04, 2018
MummyJaygirls:
Welcome to Canada!
I was in Edmonton two days ago. Let's just say the drive from Lloydminster to Edmonton was terrible. I wished I had a flying car. lol.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:29pm On Feb 04, 2018
9jaAlien:
I would like to ask about the tipping culture over there. As a 9ja citizen, I only tip when am pleased with a service, but I hear it is almost compulsory in Canada. Does this cover every service we receive such as having a hairdo or is there a clue for us to know when to tip?! shocked
It's not compulsory, but it's kind of a norm/courtsey and popular. I have do not tip for an hairdo, except a particular time when my kid gave the barber a tough time, but I have always tipped at a restaurant and in cabs. This is what keeps alot if waiters/waitress on the job. They usually make more on tips than their hourly wage. Infact an engineer I worked with still does table waiting on weekends cos of tips! Waiting at tables helped her with cost of schooling, and she is still waiting at tables for extra income

At restaurants, pos terminals have programmed tip options usually starting at 15%. I have also been to other restaurants where tips were not optional but compulsory e.g. fine dining ones.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:41pm On Feb 04, 2018
vcole:
Please Edmonton peeps, what areas are to be avoided? I would need to be in Edmonton in a couple of weeks for a few days and I'm trying to book an airbnb place. I'll have stuff to do downtown and around WEM but would be driving so won't mind staying within a 20 min drive of that radius. Thanks in advance. Cc: @salford1 and anyone else with info on Edmonton
I stayed at an airbnb place two days ago in Edmonton just for a night. My first time on airbnb, and it wasn't bad at all for $30 a night. Although where I stayed was about 23 minute drive from downtown. It's just off the highway if you are coming from the south or SE, but your activities would be around WEM and downtown. Better to book a place closer to the central.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 5:12pm On Feb 04, 2018
MummyJaygirls:
Welcome to Canada!

Wow.....

Mummyjaygirls cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:43pm On Feb 04, 2018
olajide21:

Car batteries would usually last anywhere between 3 to 5 years. I also have a portable jump starter in my vehicle at all times like vcole.
To make your battery last longer. It won't be a bad idea to have a block heater installed in your vehicle to minimize hard start. Alot of cars sold in Manitoba and Sask come equipped with them, and a lot of car parks have receptacles for block heaters. Not very much in some warmer provinces.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by GREATNESS007: 6:04pm On Feb 04, 2018
Hello Gurus in the House, I read Geology in a Federal University and finished from With a low second class lower(2.69/ out of 5) and I am currently looking at doing my masters in Canada. Pls can someone link me with graduate schools in canada that accepts 2.2 or any advice. Pls ur recommendations are urgently needed as I don't ave further time to waste. Pls help. many thanks house
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KrustyKomet: 6:05pm On Feb 04, 2018
Its pouring today...

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olajide21: 6:38pm On Feb 04, 2018
GREATNESS007:
Hello Gurus in the House, I read Geology in a Federal University and finished from With a low second class lower(2.69/ out of 5) and I am currently looking at doing my masters in Canada. Pls can someone link me with graduate schools in canada that accepts 2.2 or any advice. Pls ur recommendations are urgently needed as I don't ave further time to waste. Pls help. many thanks house

You don't have further time to waste ke? Here are the options i can think of:
1. Go through travel section of NL and enter the thread discussing schools in Canada.

https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part

2. Begin EE, if God wills, you can be in Canada before Sept 2018 and begin school next session.

https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

We wish the best hereon...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaAlien: 11:24pm On Feb 04, 2018
Tipping in restaurants is quite common even in 9ja, not as much for cabs though. I was just wondering what other kind of situations is a tip required that was why I gave the example of hairdo, do we tip in d supermarket or stores, as we know it's not in our culture, we are more concerned on avoiding being cheated. So that we can unlearn and relearn.
salford1:

It's not compulsory, but it's kind of a norm/courtsey and popular. I have do not tip for an hairdo, except a particular time when my kid gave the barber a tough time, but I have always tipped at a restaurant and in cabs. This is what keeps alot if waiters/waitress on the job. They usually make more on tips than their hourly wage. Infact an engineer I worked with still does table waiting on weekends cos of tips! Waiting at tables helped her with cost of schooling, and she is still waiting at tables for extra income

At restaurants, pos terminals have programmed tip options usually starting at 15%. I have also been to other restaurants where tips were not optional but compulsory e.g. fine dining ones.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:41pm On Feb 04, 2018
salford1:

I was in Edmonton two days ago. Let's just say the drive from Lloydminster to Edmonton was terrible. I wished I had a flying car. lol.

Lol@ flying car.

In the news recently someone abandoned his/her car by the highway. It was towed after a week when no one claimed ownership. It was all covered in snow, someone was nice enough as to put a cone on its roof.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2018
vcole:

I greet you too sis. Maybe u can look up accommodation on SW and S,
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 11:50pm On Feb 04, 2018
My work place as do most places pay salaries every two weeks (not bi monthly) so my first week was a pay week and on the Friday, I got paid but then I looked at the amount I was paid and did small maths and I felt it didn't add up, some small change was missing but I let it slide with the intention of waiting till I got my second pay check to see if the error would be rectified by then.
Two weeks later, my pay check comes and I open the payslip right in the office and behold the outcome was worse. I started wondering if the company had reduced my annual salary without telling me.
I was still one month into the job and I knew with my skills I could earn more so it was better to pathways with the company now than be cheated but I decided to wait for the 3rd pay check (5 weeks in)before going to speak with the MD. When the 3rd pay check finally arrived, I was certain I was being scammed and was going to talk with the MD the following Monday to get an explanation of what was going on. Luckily for me, I got to speak with someone that night who explained to me the difference between being paid bi weekly and bi monthly.

So I was spared the "embarrassment" of confronting the MD. A member of this group wasn't so lucky. He saw his pay check and went to HR.

Moral of the story, know if your wages are bi weekly or bi monthly before you "go an vex for oga at the top".

PS: For those in Ottawa, we need to pick a weekend that would be comfortable for everyone to meet in person and hang out.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:58pm On Feb 04, 2018
Same road, but the snow has been cleared in the second pic.

Cleared within 3hours that I passed and returned. Naija will get there one day

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daremum(m): 1:31am On Feb 05, 2018
Chai...
Presently staying with a family friend at Northwest Calgary.
To me it's nice but lots of private building all over.
Are you saying there is no connected transit in NW?
vcole:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daremum(m): 1:41am On Feb 05, 2018
My People.
Landed in Canny Land with my wife.
Below are my ordeal and experiences.

If you are looking for the most corrupted body in Nigeria it should be Nigeria Immigration or everyone that works in that lagos Airport.

They were not ashamed to ask for money...though there are folks looking at them.

Departed MMA @1:40,my wife bag was too big so we had to buy Ghana must go.

Nigeria to Addis was smooth.
Addis to Dublin seem like years.
Dublin to Toronto was okay.

The Border officers didn't check my bag nor ask too much questions?
Only asked for the amount.
Guess they were surprised to see a newly arrived immigrant speak phonetics like them.(Na play I dey play o...b4 una finish me...Na God help me sha)
Toronto to Calgary was okay.

Omo as I comot the airport make I check for the car wey wan carry us.
The cold na gbam...I run comot inside...
Omo this one no be film...
E dey real.
Type this through phone so there might some errors though.

Thanks to God
Thanks to everyone.

26 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lhimeet(m): 3:16am On Feb 05, 2018
daremum:
My People.
Landed in Canny Land with my wife.
Below are my ordeal and experiences.

If you are looking for the most corrupted body in Nigeria it should be Nigeria Immigration or everyone that works in that lagos Airport.

They were not ashamed to ask for money...though there are folks looking at them.

Departed MMA @1:40,my wife bag was too big so we had to buy Ghana must go.

Nigeria to Addis was smooth.
Addis to Dublin seem like years.
Dublin to Toronto was okay.

The Border officers didn't check my bag nor ask too much questions?
Only asked for the amount.
Guess they were surprised to see a newly arrived immigrant speak phonetics like them.(Na play I dey play o...b4 una finish me...Na God help me sha)
Toronto to Calgary was okay.

Omo as I comot the airport make I check for the car wey wan carry us.
The cold na gbam...I run comot inside...
Omo this one no be film...
E dey real.
Type this through phone so there might some errors though.

Thanks to God
Thanks to everyone.
Congrats Sir...A smile on my face while reading this smiley ...Nice One!...My first comment here but I have been observing

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.