Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (221) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979393 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 1:44pm On Feb 05, 2018
alt3r3g0:

Does this mean technically no 13th month for the bi monthly?

Hahahaha Naija man. cheesy

What I know is, the grace they might give you during Christmas, includes bonuses, or getting paid earlier. So say the bi weekly (pay day) will fall after Dec 25th, you'll get paid earlier. Like 22nd or a week before Christmas. To allow you buy Christmas gifts for the kids and family. Oyibo is keen on Christmas gifts. Naija na solo train we dey ride.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:06pm On Feb 05, 2018
alt3r3g0:

Does this mean technically no 13th month for the bi monthly?
I have not heard of 13th month here oh. I know some give bonuses though.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 2:16pm On Feb 05, 2018
Canadianfly:

So not Friday's for you? Oh ok. Yea my point was I have never seen the term bi-monthly in employment agreement. They usually tell you bi weekly. So I wondered where he got the bi monthly from.

The term would be 'semi-monthly' resulting in 24 pay periods in a year.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:58pm On Feb 05, 2018
saucepan:
@ aZedi
Pls I noticed you are in Ottawa. Though I have asked this before here, pls where can you advise a family ( teenagers and children inclusive) to settle in Ottawa considering schools, cost and most importantly safe neighbourhood. Pls I naturally like very quiet places ( I am not the happening place type).
Will be attending Uottawa in Sandy hill, though I don't mind a reasonable commute.

Lastly, what is the child law in that area like? Can my 14yrs ( one month away from 15yrs) old son mind his brothers for a short while; like from the time the come home from school to when I get back from school.
Pls this is to enable me make good arrangement before applying for study permit.

Abeg any other person with advice can contribute especially with regards to the child care part.

Have to get my acts together as children are involved.

Thank you and may God bless you all.

I'd look at places in the hunt club area. Decent neighbourhood and there's a major transit hub by south keys. You can get to Ottawa u by bus in 20 min. Stay away from Sandy hill as there are too many students living there. As for your son as long as he's mature there shouldn't be an issue. But if an issue occurs you may be held responsible.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blessedluvdfavd: 5:52pm On Feb 05, 2018
@ AZeD1 and all Ottawarians cheesy

Biko help a sister. I've been reading up a lot on Ottawa, initially I was thinking Mississauga but can't seem to find a good 3bed Townhouse with a budget of $1700 (had to revise my initial budget) so now I'm thinking Ottawa.

In your opinion, please what is the job outlook for a non French speaking somebody like me with kids looking to work in customer service(for a start cuz of experience) and ultimately HR? I've heard it's still possible to get jobs. Also heard most customer facing roles require a sister to be bilingual.

Thanks in advance smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by saucepan: 6:02pm On Feb 05, 2018
[quote author=maternal post=64811918]

I'd look at places in the hunt club area. Decent neighbourhood and there's a major transit hub by south keys. You can get to Ottawa u by bus in 20 min. Stay away from Sandy hill as there are too many students living there. As for your son as long as he's mature there shouldn't be an issue. But if an issue occurs you may be held responsible.[/quot

Thank you. Lemme come and google hunt club area cause it just sounds very abstract now grin . When I finally get to Settle in Canada, I will probably get nominated for a noble peace prize in google research. grin.
Thank you so much for taking out time to put me through. God bless.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sleekchic(f): 6:04pm On Feb 05, 2018
AZeD1:
My work place as do most places pay salaries every two weeks (not bi monthly) so my first week was a pay week and on the Friday, I got paid but then I looked at the amount I was paid and did small maths and I felt it didn't add up, some small change was missing but I let it slide with the intention of waiting till I got my second pay check to see if the error would be rectified by then.
Two weeks later, my pay check comes and I open the payslip right in the office and behold the outcome was worse. I started wondering if the company had reduced my annual salary without telling me.
I was still one month into the job and I knew with my skills I could earn more so it was better to pathways with the company now than be cheated but I decided to wait for the 3rd pay check (5 weeks in)before going to speak with the MD. When the 3rd pay check finally arrived, I was certain I was being scammed and was going to talk with the MD the following Monday to get an explanation of what was going on. Luckily for me, I got to speak with someone that night who explained to me the difference between being paid bi weekly and bi monthly.

Please what's the difference?

Modified. I see you've answered the question already
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:21pm On Feb 05, 2018
Blessedluvdfavd:
@ AZeD1 and all Ottawarians cheesy

Biko help a sister. I've been reading up a lot on Ottawa, initially I was thinking Mississauga but can't seem to find a good 3bed Townhouse with a budget of $1700 (had to revise my initial budget) so now I'm thinking Ottawa.

In your opinion, please what is the job outlook for a non French speaking somebody like me with kids looking to work in customer service(for a start cuz of experience) and ultimately HR? I've heard it's still possible to get jobs. Also heard most customer facing roles require a sister to be bilingual.

Thanks in advance smiley
I'm pretty sure that can get 3 bed with 1700 in Ottawa as for customer service Jobs, you will get that. There's a particular customer service firm I heard employs lots of Nigerians. I can't remember the name right now.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yungreezy: 6:57pm On Feb 05, 2018
AZeD1:

I'm pretty sure that can get 3 bed with 1700 in Ottawa as for customer service Jobs, you will get that. There's a particular customer service firm I heard employs lots of Nigerians. I can't remember the name right now.

Would really love to get that name. Would be nice to get any job to prevent pof being depleted while working on something better. Please update us when remember.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 05, 2018
9jaAlien:
I would like to ask about the tipping culture over there. As a 9ja citizen, I only tip when am pleased with a service, but I hear it is almost compulsory in Canada. Does this cover every service we receive such as having a hairdo or is there a clue for us to know when to tip?! shocked
Nah, tipping isn't compulsory here. I choose to tip if I want to or not. I tip if the customer service is excellent and I can't imagine leaving the restaurant without giving the waiter or waitress a little something as a form of gratitude. Sometimes it can make their day too. But it's not a must at all.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 8:35pm On Feb 05, 2018
I believe it can be any firm. Sorry im replying this late, so much to do.
vcole:
ah ha! I knew it seemed too smooth. So this articling, can it be any firm? Or specific firms?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:17pm On Feb 05, 2018
yokus:
I believe it can be any firm. Sorry im replying this late, so much to do.
thanks. I totally understand
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:18pm On Feb 05, 2018
@saucepan, if your child is 12yrs or older they take a course and then they are legally allowed to watch their younger ones at home.i don't know what the course is though...probably baby sitting?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 05, 2018
Hello friends. How was our day.
I have a quick question. On the treasury bill certificate we have the face value and discount value.

As we all know the face value is only realised after full maturity of the TB .

Can we still calculate the POF using the face value of it is the discount value that should be used ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blessedluvdfavd: 9:44pm On Feb 05, 2018
AZeD1:

Thank you! Please let me know whenever you remember the name. Cheers!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daremum(m): 9:54pm On Feb 05, 2018
Thanks chief!

Sending you another PM straight up!

Thanks to everyone!

40manlappy:

Congrats on safe landing. Replied your PM but did not get any subsequent response. Wish you the best in the new land smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 10:24pm On Feb 05, 2018
[quote author=Fusion23 post=62288129]Getting a sublease is also a good way to get temporary accommodation. Instead of signing a one year lease.
advertising for a friend in case anyone is coming to Ottawa soon.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1312282345&requestSource=b[/oquote]

Hi Fusion pls I wiuld like to PM u. I have sent a request to your mail already. Kindly check
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 11:17pm On Feb 05, 2018
You should use the face value to calculate your POF as this is the value you will receive when the Tbills mature.

Guitarlife:
I have a quick question. On the treasury bill certificate we have the face value and discount value.

Can we still calculate the POF using the face value of it is the discount value that should be used ?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 11:18pm On Feb 05, 2018
[quote author=JESUSisable post=64820618][/quote]
It's no longer available.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 11:29pm On Feb 05, 2018
[quote author=JESUSisable post=64820618][/quote]
Hi Sorry not that active as before..work work work, plus nairaland is not attached to my main email...but will get back to you soon.
Regards.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 11:40pm On Feb 05, 2018
maternal:

I'd look at places in the hunt club area. Decent neighbourhood and there's a major transit hub by south keys. You can get to Ottawa u by bus in 20 min. Stay away from Sandy hill as there are too many students living there. As for your son as long as he's mature there shouldn't be an issue. But if an issue occurs you may be held responsible.

Hunt Club , Nepean that brings goosebumps..stayed in ottawa for 10months got a better job and Moved to Edmonton...I stayed close to huntclub, my previous work was on antares drive and south keys shopping center was where I always shopped the walmart there cheesy....

I heard kanata has good schools thou..most chinese people prefer the place.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaAlien: 11:50pm On Feb 05, 2018
A work month is made up of 4 weeks or 28 days, all calendar months with the exception of February has over 28 days, if you add all the excess days, it makes up an extra month, hence why employers that pay monthly (in Canada or 9ja) pays 13th month. This problem is solved when payment is done biweekly - every 2 weeks. Bi monthly as described by @AZeD1 (twice a month), is basically splitting your monthly salary into two equal or non equal parts and paid on 2 days of the month, this is very common in 9ja especially among senior staff, this form of payment also warrants 13th month.
AZeD1:

I have not heard of 13th month here oh. I know some give bonuses though.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 11:51pm On Feb 05, 2018
sleekchic:

Please what's the difference?

Modified. I see you've answered the question already

The canadian standard is bi weekly thou my first job paid montly , had same issue with AZED in my new job and the HR explained that you are paid 26times not 24 times...so twice a month is 24 times and biweekly is 26times..so with by weekly the money with seem less..who doesnt like money ..the only longer throat i have with canada is that the vacation is just 15days compared to uk where u get like 25 - 30 days....

I know there is vacation without pay ..so the 15 day vacation is paid ..but who will want to loose over 1k$ in a week because of vacation grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 11:55pm On Feb 05, 2018
MummyJaygirls:
Welcome to Canada!

looks like edmonton

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 11:56pm On Feb 05, 2018
Fusion23:

Hunt Club , Nepean that brings goosebumps..stayed in ottawa for 10months got a better job and Moved to Edmonton...I stayed close to huntclub, my previous work was on antares drive and south keys shopping center was where I always shopped the walmart there cheesy....

I heard kanata has good schools thou..most chinese people prefer the place.
Kanata is cool and it's another good area.

For those already landed, check career edge for paid (2500) internships.

Recent opportunities from career edge.

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaAlien: 12:16am On Feb 06, 2018
Do Canadian feel this way too? Learning the culture is important and I believe a forum like this can help 9ja Aliens blend with their new country. Someone said earlier in other words, the act of one of us tends to rub off on all of us, so 9ja Aliens are known not to tip. So one may as well just follow your lead, of which the tips @ 15% is more than tithe sef. quote author=Augenblick post=64816896] Nah, tipping isn't compulsory here. I choose to tip if I want to or not. I tip if the customer service is excellent and I can't imagine leaving the restaurant without giving the waiter or waitress a little something as a form of gratitude. Sometimes it can make their day too. But it's not a must at all.[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaAlien: 12:25am On Feb 06, 2018
What of Nairaland customer service as exhibited by the moderators such as @justwise that do not take feedback from new members, we should also mark our own to international markets.
happytbaby:

Please do not benchmark CPA with ACCA people abeg. In terms of customer service; "ACCA on ki n se egbe iyalaya anybody".

The organisation is too organised, too professional. I was at a meeting of another professional body recently, the CEO of the body came from America to Nigeria for that meeting and every question was like 'ACCA does this, why can't this body do this?' Guy had to say they would benchmark ACCA since they seemed to have everything on point.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 12:56am On Feb 06, 2018
@9jaAlien, I find the tipping culture in Canada to be more flexible than in the states. The reason may be that baristas and waiters et al are paid at least minimum wage per hour and their tips are sn additional income. In the states a barista may earn as little as $3/hr base pay and so the tips are their major source of income. I usually tip about 5-10% depending on whether i feel i was served well or not and it's at restaurants. I haven't tipped anywhere else or been asked to do so anywhere else.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:07am On Feb 06, 2018
Guitarlife:

Can we still calculate the POF using the face value or it is the discount value that should be used ?
Dear Seniors kindly attend to this. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 4:27am On Feb 06, 2018
Guitarlife:

Dear Seniors kindly attend to this. Thank you.
I used face value and I have my COPR now.
Someone answered you earlier.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:20am On Feb 06, 2018
Adiahabasi:

I used face value and I have my COPR now.
Someone answered you earlier.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Deebay: 9:29am On Feb 06, 2018
AZeD1:

Hi.
Please what can you say generally about Ottawa. In terms of neighborhoods, transit, housing, opportunities, French speaking etc on a general note. And also the different parts of Ottawa.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.