Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,121 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979771 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 3:47pm On Mar 26, 2018
DadR:

Hey boss, please what field in ICT are you?
Enterprise Applications..CRM to be specific.

here is the tip

dynamics which I do

https://www.nigelfrank.com/us/search?keywords=&country%5B%5D=30&technology%5B%5D=3&type=all&order=posted

and there is salesforce

https://www.masonfrank.com/search?role%5B%5D=&location%5B%5D=485&type=

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:34pm On Mar 26, 2018
percee17:
Can anyone please recommend a nice church around Mississauga, Oakville and Brampton areas. Thanks a lot

Hi, as already pointed out, House of Praise, Mississauga is a parish of RCCG here. You can PM me for more details and to put you in touch with them.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 26, 2018
GlitteringStar:
I'm now a bona fide member of this thread. smiley I received my Visa and COPR today. To God be the Glory.

Congrats girl grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 6:00pm On Mar 26, 2018
Hello. Please can someone assist with this situation.

I received PPR last week and my sent my passports to Accra this morning.

1. Hubby and I intend to arrive in Canada about 3 days to the expiry of our medicals. Is this too close to the deadline?

2. We plan to do a soft landing first. We intend to stay for only about a week in Toronto. Is this time enough for the post arrival procedures especially the application for our PR cards.

3. We intend to leave Toronto to America to birth our child. Will it be an issue that our baby is born after COPR and after our first landing but before our PR cards are issued? Is this something to declare? From what I understand, there's nothing to declare if it is after you arrive Canada for the first time. And I don't think it is a sin to be PR of Canada and go to America to deliver but I have heard some comments so please help.

4. By God's grace for our final landing next year, we would have had our PR cards with us. But our baby will have a US passport and Nigerian passport. How do we go about processing our baby's Canadian documents?

P.S. We have considered delivering in Canada but it will be more expensive and we do no have family to assist the way we do in the US. In the US, the doctor is family and we have free accommodation so basically we're paying just the hospital fees and we have loads of family in the same area to help out. In Canada, the medicals may be free but we will be paying for EVERYTHING else i.e. accommodation, food, moving around, and no family to help.

Also, we cannot declare change in family configuration until the child is born which will be after COPR, after our first landing and aafter our application for the PR cards but before our final landing.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 6:28pm On Mar 26, 2018
Fusion23:

here is the tip

dynamics which I do

https://www.nigelfrank.com/us/search?keywords=&country%5B%5D=30&technology%5B%5D=3&type=all&order=posted

and there is salesforce

I have stumbled on Dynamics on Microsoft's website a few times... Didn't know CRM development is a big something.

And that's the beauty of IT; you learn everyday. What's the market like for SharePoint developers?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:28pm On Mar 26, 2018
Bsbabe:

Congrats girl grin

Thanks sis. kiss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 8:34pm On Mar 26, 2018
Thanks Boss.

Is it easy for a Non IT sombori to learn these from scratch without much stress? Sombori from the Banking sector precisely.

Fusion23:

here is the tip

dynamics which I do

and there is salesforce

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olalekank(m): 9:24pm On Mar 26, 2018
DadR:

Thanks Boss.

Is it easy for a Non IT sombori to learn these from scratch without much stress? Sombori from the Banking sector precisely.

You can delve into programming. The woman that didn't have a job for 8 years could have spent half of that time learning programming and other frameworks.

I kid you not, she would have gotten a job if that was the case.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 10:14pm On Mar 26, 2018
simiolu1:

I have stumbled on Dynamics on Microsoft's website a few times... Didn't know CRM development is a big something.

And that's the beauty of IT; you learn everyday. What's the market like for SharePoint developers?

Sharepoint is not much..it added to know dynamics and then sharepoint..cos share point is document management for dynamics...

but share point alone is not much...are u into share point and are you in canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 11:00pm On Mar 26, 2018
Muchaio:

Pick Up Mail. Just got COPR and passports back. Next stage is landing I guess. I applied to CPA Ontario and not BC. All I sent were international passport and copies of my certificates. Then had my university send my transcript and of course ACCA sent LOGS.

My case was a bit peculiar as my middlename was shortened on my educational certificates but full on my international passport so I first wrote them to confirm if it was ok b4 I started spending money lol. So I sent them the certificates and international passport. They responded by sending me the application forms to fill and get ACCA and CIA to send LOGS and Bachelors transcript.

I'm an internal auditor. I have not really pursued getting a job b4 landing but will start on it soon. London made me relax with all their delays b4. Hopefully I'll be able to jump start my ginger soon.

Hey man, how is it going?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 11:55pm On Mar 26, 2018
MrsBee:

Hello house, So my adventurous self went across the border for a road trip to the US yesterday. I went with my mum and a friend offered to drive us there. Did some shopping at Burlington in Amherst, NY. I was able to come back into Canada showing just my passport and COPR. No issues at all. ��

God bless you for this information ma'am. One question please...while entering the USA in the car, were you asked for a documentation specifially, a US visa? Thank you for the expected response.
Warm regards!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by percee17: 12:08am On Mar 27, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Hi, as already pointed out, House of Praise, Mississauga is a parish of RCCG here. You can PM me for more details and to put you in touch with them.

Okay thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 12:27am On Mar 27, 2018
Fusion23:

here is the tip

dynamics which I do

and there is salesforce

...whao! Thanks for this information. Been reading on these two since i saw your post and i must say its been enlightening. Which of the two do you recommend most based on ease of learning and acceptance/usage in Canada? Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Demiyike: 12:32am On Mar 27, 2018
geebaby10:

1. Hubby and I intend to arrive in Canada about 3 days to the expiry of our medicals. Is this too close to the deadline?

2. We plan to do a soft landing first. We intend to stay for only about a week in Toronto. Is this time enough for the post arrival procedures especially the application for our PR cards.

3. We intend to leave Toronto to America to birth our child. Will it be an issue that our baby is born after COPR and after our first landing but before our PR cards are issued? Is this something to declare? From what I understand, there's nothing to declare if it is after you arrive Canada for the first time. And I don't think it is a sin to be PR of Canada and go to America to deliver but I have heard some comments so please help.

4. By God's grace for our final landing next year, we would have had our PR cards with us. But our baby will have a US passport and Nigerian passport. How do we go about processing our baby's Canadian documents?

P.S. We have considered delivering in Canada but it will be more expensive and we do no have family to assist the way we do in the US. In the US, the doctor is family and we have free accommodation so basically we're paying just the hospital fees and we have loads of family in the same area to help out. In Canada, the medicals may be free but we will be paying for EVERYTHING else i.e. accommodation, food, moving around, and no family to help.

Also, we cannot declare change in family configuration until the child is born which will be after COPR, after our first landing and aafter our application for the PR cards but before our final landing.

But don’t forget that once you land even if it’s soft landing you will have to sponsor your baby to come into Canada . The baby having a American Passport does not give her the right to be a PR in Canada

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 12:45am On Mar 27, 2018
balogunsam:

...whao! Thanks for this information. Been reading on these two since i saw your post and i must say its been enlightening. Which of the two do you recommend most based on ease of learning and acceptance/usage in Canada? Thank you.

anyone ..but experience counts too..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 12:57am On Mar 27, 2018
Fusion23:

anyone ..but experience counts too..

Okay. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 2:47am On Mar 27, 2018
geebaby10:

Let me answer you as much as I can.

2. A week is time enough to get your SIN, health card (depending on province of intent)

3. Taking the factors you mentioned that guided your decision to birth in America into consideration, you're actually spending about the same amount if not more if you go birth in the States and not in Canada. Here's why:

To birth in America:

1) Your family friend Dr cannot see you TOTALLY free. This is because there are obligations as a Dr he/she reports to the State if they intend to conduct your birth in a hospital. They can give you a discounted price, yes but free? I strongly doubt it, as they'll be burning both you and themselves. You whenever you go to renew your U.S visa, amongst other rules you'll be breaking for taking free care from a practicing U.S Dr and as a non U.S resident. So let's assume your discount is to pay $1000 USD, keep that aside.

2) I don't know which hospital in Yankee that'll charge you less than $3000 USD for normal vaginal delivery, excluding epidural in 2018. Trust me I have done my research. Except you are going with a birth center (again jeopardizing your chances of renewing your U.S visa) or Community hospital (which really is supposed to cater to residents of that community/county, no an international traveler). So let's keep the $3000 USD aside.

3) Processing the baby's American passport and Nigerian passport. American passport expedited is $165 USD. You get it 24-48hrs. Nigerian passport (if booklet no dey scarce for DC, NY or ATL) expect to pay $140 approx for expedited. Also lets take into account that I don't think you're headed to DC, NY or ATL. Because the cost of hospital in those cities is very very well above $3000 USD. Which increase the amount we set aside in point number 2. So let's take in the travel cost of you and the baby to those cities for capturing for Naija passport. If you decide to use an agent, you'll pay the agent same price as you plane ticket will cost you. $200-$300. So set aside $600 USD for document processing and flight.

4) Travel cost to America from Canada. Even if you jump greyhound, you're paying them. Also CBP will see you as a Mexican equivalent that wants to have an American baby and won't understand why a Canadian PR wants to birth in America. You can't say better healthcare...like Nigerians always say. Lol Canada has the equivalent. So you'll be returned to Canada. Most likely.

5) The big elephant in the room. How does your baby have legal residence in Canada? Don't think because you're now a Canadian PR it's passed on to your child like citizenship. No. You'll have to sponsor that baby to reside in Canada legally. So we will go back to showing POF that y'all can support the baby, maybe show that you work in Canada (I don't know), application fees for the baby, Medicals, amongst other things that you'll incur costs. So we'll be looking at how much for all these? Could range from $200 CAD to $19,100 CAD.

6) You're saving on accommodation and food. And you have family and social support.

To birth in Canada

1) 100% guaranteed FREE medical services. All you have to do is pick a hospital and Dr. And relax.

2) Processing Canadian passport For the baby is cheaper than $165 USD. Naija passport, well this depends on if Ottawa folks have their act together. Can't speak on their costs. Plus travel to Ottawa costs too. So let's keep $700 CAD aside.

3) You are already a COPR bearer, no CBP officer will ask you any questions about your intention to birth in Canada. You'll be welcomed to add to the number of authentic citizens.

4) Zero sponsorship worries. You and hubby save on buying paracetamol.

5) You'll be paying for accommodation, food and transportation. No family/social support.

Now for number 5, here is my advice. Choose a province that is relatively cheap to live in. Alberta, Manitoba and Sask. Say you choose Manitoba, and land in Winnipeg, book an Airbnb close to St. Boniface hospital or Women's center for like $1000 CAD per month depending on amenities, bedroom number, bathroom number etc. I say go for the basic as it's just you and Oga. A one bedroom will do. Plan to pay and stay for 3 months - the money you planned to pay hospital in Yankee can be channeled towards this cost.
Transportation in Winnipeg is cheap. Buses are cheap. You'll only need to go for your appointments, baby shopping and groceries. Oga can even do the shopping and you stay warm at home. Expect to pay $200-$250 CAD for you and Oga for bus. Forget buying car now.
For family and social support, wetin you need this for? If you need friends in Winnipeg, PM and I'll help you. But you should not bother about this because you have a project at hand. Face it, then look for family and friends after you born.
For Alberta:
Calgary - PM vcole for hospital and Dr. She had her baby there.
Edmonton - Mummyjagirls and freeradical dey there. Pm them for pointers.
For Sask - PM Salford1 for advice.

If you ask me, go to Canada and save yourself the headache. What you think you're saving by going to America, you'll pay much more in the long run. All the best with the decision you make.

92 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 2:49am On Mar 27, 2018
balogunsam:

God bless you for this information ma'am. One question please...while entering the USA in the car, were you asked for a documentation specifially, a US visa? Thank you for the expected response.
Warm regards!

Una think say this COPR na golden key that unlocks every nation. You need a valid U.S visa to enter the U.S either by air, land or sea. If you're the bearer of a passport not on the waiver list, or an Alien U.S resident).
Except winch broom things grin

9/11 was not a drill. They're taking no chances.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by brainwave(m): 3:57am On Mar 27, 2018
Demiyike:

But don’t forget that once you land even if it’s soft landing you will have to sponsor your baby to come into Canada . The baby having a American Passport does not give her the right to be a PR in Canada

To add to Demiyike's post, do endeavor to get ALL the necessary facts on the protocols & processes from Canadian government Immigration department sources. I do believe you would be required to sponsor the child for him / her to become a permanent resident but I'm not certain that can be done while you are back as a resident in Nigeria after the soft landing since you have to be living in Canada at the time you're sponsoring someone else to the best of my knowledge. There was the case of a Nigerian couple in 2015 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/family-in-calgary-may-be-forced-out-of-canada-because-of-baby-1.3162610 ). Though their case was different cause they had the baby in the US before the initial landing. Whatever you decide eventually, just ensure you have all the facts cause immigration rules could be very 'unemotional' and rigid in enforcement in these climes!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 4:18am On Mar 27, 2018
balogunsam:

Warm regards!

Amen. Yes you require a valid US visa. They would ask you questions like ‘the purpose of your trip’ ‘how long you will be spending’ etc
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ggetter50: 6:52am On Mar 27, 2018
Good day house,

Please, could anyone tell me if there is any opportunity for Veterinary doctors (DVM) in Canada? Are they required to having any extra certification or professional exam before they can practise?

I would be happy to have answer to my questions please.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by JESUSisable: 7:02am On Mar 27, 2018
Hi seniors , thank you for all your assistance all through this process

I have a quick question my people. Pls to the Glory of God I received PPR on 1st of March and I sent my passport to Dubai visa office on the 2nd of March,it was received on 8th March but my account is still showing "we are reviewing the additional documents you provided". I thought this should have changed to "You do not need additional documents ".

Pls any advice as to the reason for this?Has anyone experienced this?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 7:07am On Mar 27, 2018
brainwave:

To add to Demiyike's post, do endeavor to get ALL the necessary facts on the protocols & processes from Canadian government Immigration department sources. I do believe you would be required to sponsor the child for him / her to become a permanent resident but I'm not certain that can be done while you are back as a resident in Nigeria after the soft landing since you have to be living in Canada at the time you're sponsoring someone else to the best of my knowledge. There was the case of a Nigerian couple in 2015 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/family-in-calgary-may-be-forced-out-of-canada-because-of-baby-1.3162610 ). Though their case was different cause they had the baby in the US before the initial landing. Whatever you decide eventually, just ensure you have all the facts cause immigration rules could be very 'unemotional' and rigid in enforcement in these climes!

They can easily bring the child into Canada as a visitor when they are ready to move to Canada, and then apply for the kid's PR from there.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 7:24am On Mar 27, 2018
Amen. May it be done for you according to your words.
ray78:
Lucky you.ICT people have it best!
I will double up on my LinkedIn strategy.I just signed up for LinkedIn Premium as well.This March will be my last month unemployed IJN
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 7:34am On Mar 27, 2018
See as you just make me happy with this your post. Nwanyi Ochokwu. grin

If you like, abuse me. Yimu.

Canadianfly:

Let me answer you as much as I can.

If you ask me, go to Canada and save yourself the headache. What you think you're saving by going to America, you'll pay much more in the long run. All the best with the decision you make.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:47am On Mar 27, 2018
Fortissimo502:

They can easily bring the child into Canada as a visitor when they are ready to move to Canada, and then apply for the kid's PR from there.

Easily? Is this from experience or what?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 9:06am On Mar 27, 2018
It is not that easy. See this story.

Fortissimo502:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 9:14am On Mar 27, 2018
Good day everyone.

Please can any landed senior help me to check out some apartments I'm considering before making a decision.

Please help your brother.

thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:21am On Mar 27, 2018
bbaby84:

Lmao. And they say I'm mean cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:21am On Mar 27, 2018
Newmum0615:
See as you just make me happy with this your post. Nwanyi Ochokwu. grin

If you like, abuse me. Yimu.

Lol you know I gat mad love for you grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 9:36am On Mar 27, 2018
bbaby84:

Child is a US citizen. Visa (ETA sef) not required. Can be stamped in for 6 months as a visitor and extended inland till the PR process is complete. Life ain't that hard when you got the right passport.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 9:38am On Mar 27, 2018
Newmum0615:
It is not that easy. See this story.

Is that child an American citizen?

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.