Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,757 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (262) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979987 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by aworldcitizen: 6:41pm On Mar 29, 2018
greggng:

First my moniker have never changed over my years in nairaland. My I'd remains greggng . Secondly I only hear that people cross from USA to Canada. But what I didn't have info to was how they do it? But now that I 've someone who is a friendly that 've passed through that process sucessfuly it becomes something of interest to me. I hardly come on travel section but I thought the person wanted to know how he can cross successfully from USA to Canada . That's why I reacted. If I am the one that created that moniker to ask that question, May I and my generation die in accidents but if I am not the person may same fate befall who's ever that accuses me of such. And so shall it be
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:47pm On Mar 29, 2018
aworldcitizen:
Abeg, I am interested. Nigeria don tire me.

I used to stay at Gowon Estate. My folks still live there. And I should be there for Easter.

Please can you email me at iamaworldcitizen@yahoo.com

Thank you.

You have just registered on Nairaland to reply to this particular post out of thousands ... lol
I can't stop laughing
Soon as I read your first sentence, I knew something was fishy. That prompted me to dig into your profile

Time registered: March 29, 2018
Time spent online: 3 minutes & 46 seconds

35 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 6:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
vcole:
@affordablerent, it is surprising that you are unaware that Canada has a much better health care system than the states. It is public information and is even used as a joke between both countries. Having experienced health care from the states under a private system that I paid for and same care in Canada under the public system, I can say that both as a patient as well as a health worker, Canada is wayyy superior.
@geebaby10, the 183 days residency requirement for health care insurance is actually for all provinces and not just Alberta.
You can PM me, to be honest 6 months goes by quickly and before you know it, you'll head home. If your sis would be willing to stay with you for a bit that would be nice. Your family in the states could also come visit for a short while.

Thank Vcole. I agree 6 months is not long but my maternity leave here won't let me and I don't want to be jobless until we move next year. So I may not be able to do the 6 months. From their site, I have still not seen what happens if you do not stay the 6 months except that you lose coverage. So I'm thinking worst case scenario I have to pay back? I sha hope they won't say its a criminal offence lol.

I sent an e-mail. Please respond so that I can send a pm.

Canadianfly thank you!! Omo to be an adult in today's world we must use our brains oh. and you've been uber helpful. God bless you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 7:05pm On Mar 29, 2018
Canadianfly:

If I ask who be this dumb person, them go call me rude. So may I walk on by.

Abeg nothing wrong with that question
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 7:36pm On Mar 29, 2018
QSola:

Abeg nothing wrong with that question

I presume you quoted the wrong person because my statement wasn't responding to any question. Go back and read.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nusetron(m): 7:40pm On Mar 29, 2018
Good Day House,
Am quite new to this thread but hoping to get PPR soon. Done some research about provinces in canada and for some reasons we have picked NOVA SCOTIA as a place to settle in. I need first hand information about this province. Anyone currently residing there please kindly help a brother out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by telias: 7:51pm On Mar 29, 2018
Canadianfly:

I presume you quoted the wrong person because my statement wasn't responding to any question. Go back and read.
i believe this person is saying there is nothing wrong in asking who the dumb person is.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2018
Canadianfly:

I meant nothing is wrong with the statement you wanted to make
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by QSola: 8:03pm On Mar 29, 2018
telias:

i believe this person is saying there is nothing wrong in asking who the dumb person is.

You got me right cos the post was even becoming irritating coupled with curses.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Affordablerent: 9:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
geebaby10:

Okay. I get you a tiny bit. But the rights and benefits of Canadians and Americans in other countries are no so different. Ease of migration is almost the same for both passports. But I agree healthcare isn't 100% in Canada but you can afford it. In America that you have the healthcare, the costs can run you (even as a citizen) dry plus the healthcare system in Canada will improve. America has a higher unemployment rate for college graduates and how about the violence in America? Black people are prominent in America because there are a lot of them. For every successful black person in America there a 100 living in poverty. So let's take the whole picture.

But it is as if you didn't read my epistle. My child is part of a family and not a stand alone human being. So decisions should be made for the whole family including future children to come. In this case I cannot live in the US with my child and if anything goes wrong next year I risk loosing my PR in the long run. So in this my situation is the US passport really better?

What is your husband's view on this? If he is okay with it then go ahead, give birth in Canny then you can travel to US to be with your family after a week or two. Personally, I will prefer US passport for my children even in this situation. I will prefer my kids to attend US higher institutions so this will make my choice easy to make. If you don't foresee your children attending school or migrating to US when they become young adults, then no need for US citizenship. I wish you successful delivery madam

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:30pm On Mar 29, 2018
QSola:

I meant nothing is wrong with the statement you wanted to make

Lol. Yea I misread your response. My bad grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by aworldcitizen: 10:04pm On Mar 29, 2018
Dear All, please can one move to Quebec after initially landing in Toronto. Thank k you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 10:37pm On Mar 29, 2018
@geebaby10, i don't think I got that email.
@TheCongo2, you ready today oh cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 10:39pm On Mar 29, 2018
@geebaby10, the penalty would be that you would pay back for the services you received, i believe. It won't hurt to take a look at that blueprint again I'll do same.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 10:58pm On Mar 29, 2018
aworldcitizen:
Dear All, please can one move to Quebec after initially landing in Toronto. Thank k you.

Once you have landed and established PR, you can settle anywhere as long as you are not a PNP.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by superdoll: 11:32pm On Mar 29, 2018
XX01:

It's called flagpoling. You can Google it.

Or you can also apply to your nearest IRCC office by calling IRCC’s Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 in order to book an appointment. Please note that you must call this number from inside Canada. Appointments can take months to arrange.

Cc superdoll

Thank you @xx01 @vcole

Does this mean i must have to leave and re-enter somehow or perhaps have to wait for months before booking appointment to register as a PR?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by aworldcitizen: 11:36pm On Mar 29, 2018
Thank you.

Muchaio:

Once you have landed and established PR, you can settle anywhere as long as you are not a PNP.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Delta007(m): 11:39pm On Mar 29, 2018
I am sorry but you are quite clueless.
Affordablerent:

It seems Oga is right on this. The opportunities in US are much more than in Canada, I'm yet to see a black person in Canada reach the same heights in politics as those in US have. Quality of life in US varies from state to state, we need to consider each of the states as a country to look at things with a clearer picture. As a US citizen, your child will have more rights and opportunities in other countries if he or she decides to explore or migrate elsewhere because Americans are well known for their cunning diplomacy. They make things somehow easy for their citizens living in other countries, not just America. The good thing about Canada is free healthcare but sincerely, will you compare the healthcare system of both countries? I'm yet to hear of anyone travelling to Canada for medicals except to give birth for passport purpose. Doctors are few compared to patients and waiting period to see doctors can be long. Some Canadians even travel to America for their medicals.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 1:19am On Mar 30, 2018
greggng:

My brother I am known for giving free info but my recent experience has shown that what people receive freely , they sometimes don't cherish. I swear in the name of God that created you and I that I will never dabble into giving wrong info. I earlier told you I 've a name to protect. Some notable people on nairaland 've seen me physically . My friend won't deceive me. To this end three people reading this should volunteer to visit me to verify my claim for free. I can't post all that I discuss with him here. I don't hide under internet to perpetrate evil.mind you the info I 've is only for those already in USA but trying to cross successfully to Canada.

oh shush....and go away!! We've had enough of this crap..... No one is buying your bull...

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 1:24am On Mar 30, 2018
you literally just saved a life here. what you have just outlined would cost thousands of dollars to get from a consultant in an AC tight room. I know this lady was asking this same question on the other thread, and no one helped her like this. Stay blessed...

Canadianfly:

Let me answer you as much as I can.

Now for number 5, here is my advice. Choose a province that is relatively cheap to live in. Alberta, Manitoba and Sask. Say you choose Manitoba, and land in Winnipeg, book an Airbnb close to St. Boniface hospital or Women's center for like $1000 CAD per month depending on amenities, bedroom number, bathroom number etc. I say go for the basic as it's just you and Oga. A one bedroom will do. Plan to pay and stay for 3 months - the money you planned to pay hospital in Yankee can be channeled towards this cost.
Transportation in Winnipeg is cheap. Buses are cheap. You'll only need to go for your appointments, baby shopping and groceries. Oga can even do the shopping and you stay warm at home. Expect to pay $200-$250 CAD for you and Oga for bus. Forget buying car now.
For family and social support, wetin you need this for? If you need friends in Winnipeg, PM and I'll help you. But you should not bother about this because you have a project at hand. Face it, then look for family and friends after you born.
For Alberta:
Calgary - PM vcole for hospital and Dr. She had her baby there.
Edmonton - Mummyjagirls and freeradical dey there. Pm them for pointers.
For Sask - PM Salford1 for advice.

If you ask me, go to Canada and save yourself the headache. What you think you're saving by going to America, you'll pay much more in the long run. All the best with the decision you make.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 1:27am On Mar 30, 2018
lol...you sef you know you are lowkey mean. I don dey follow come for months now on two separate threads...be like say the woman just caught you on a day you finally found cowleg to put in your soup...
grin grin grin

Canadianfly:

Lmao. And they say I'm mean cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 1:49am On Mar 30, 2018
For newcomers and residents, when you try to furnish your house or move to new places or you are simply lookin for electronic items, instead of using Kijiji, you can get great deals on MaxSold. A number of people who are moving out or whose grandparents are dead and the children want to come in or companies that are closing down or someone who just wants to change location have items in their houses or offices for auction.

Check the website out. Sometimes awoof fit run belle so if you rely on Kijiji for free deals, it's usually items that are worn out or in bad shape the people there say they're giving out for 'free'. Again, you cut the unnecessary negotiations or inability to see defects in the item you are interested in. Under maxsold they'll snap the actual place of defect if any to auctioned items.

One thing though, you'll need your credit or debit card as they bill your account for successful bids. I got a microwave for $1 and had a Bose speaker for free. At times, some items don't even have bids on them so you can speak to the auctioner. The last place I went, the owner was retiring after 30 years. He had a couch and some office items like printers that he just wanted out. As long as you have a vehicle to take them out with, you can take them for free.

If you want to transport your goods, you can search on Kijiji for guys that help with pick up because their vans have more space than the normal salon car.

The principle behind it is that all the items in the house must go off.

53 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 2:00am On Mar 30, 2018
[i][/i] grin grin grin e say character assassination... oga ade, calm down...all dis oyinbo wey you dey talk, we dont send it. goan report to principal seun first, then see if anyone is listening. your approach to this whole thing is wrong, simple. as you have said, you are a legit person, so if people are doubting your intentions, then just back off and keep your info. the people that are interested will see your PM in camera. shikena!

greggng:

For calling me a scammer without knowing me and what I stand for, I will be reporting you to seun if you fail to submit apology within 24hours. Thereafter I will proceed with reporting this to the police so that you can prove your claim. I don't make empty claim. If you are real I will get you to answer for this character assassination .

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 2:03am On Mar 30, 2018
About moving to Quebec, I have not been there but I have someone there. My comments will only be based on research, news and what I have heard. Quebec is like putting France in Canada. There's some form of systemic racism there. Last year, the Mayor was challenged for feigning ignorance about what that means. Even the Arabs (Tunisia, Morocco and those countries who speak French) face some form of discrimination there. They may not say it openly but will do it indirectly. I was following a discussion panel on CBC that was discussing these issues. Imagine being told your French is foreign.

See more here: A minority within a minority: Quebec's struggle to face racism https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4567938

This is not to scare anyone but just be informed. For me I don't want to be in a city where a system will somehow limit my chances. The only thing attractive to me in the city is HEC in Montreal. Haha
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 2:22am On Mar 30, 2018
senior detective inspector TheCongo! I salute you! please let me know when I can stand at ease grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 5:58am On Mar 30, 2018
greggng:

P

Pls understand me i only directed my message to that nairaland member that asked that question. I didnot say everyone should cpntact me .my intention was not to derail the thread. Is unfortunate if that's your perception and I cannot help it.

Oga it's enough jare, you do not solicit money here, you are to give freely whatever information you have or just keep quiet if you don't want to. You are not to redirect people outside the thread for any reason,and you honestly do not even have first hand information to give, only on a single and third party experience,which is grossly inadequate for the purpose of information supply.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Engr2000: 9:20am On Mar 30, 2018
Affordablerent:
@Geebaby10, may you birth safely. In my opinion you should give birth in US. You can't compare the worth of an American passport to that of a Canadian one(think of the future not only money to be spent). If your child has an American citizenship, Canadian permanent stay and Nigerian passport, he or she is covered all round.
It's a public forum though. @Geebaby10, be careful about the advice you take. The above comment is a wrong assumption.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:44am On Mar 30, 2018
@TheCongo2 Sir, I want to be your protege. When I can start classes? grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:47am On Mar 30, 2018
Ok. Nice. Thanks.
Canadianfly:

I don't know about ON but when I lived in MB and filed taxes, I always submitted my rent receipts with my tax papers and got some money back.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Affordablerent: 11:59am On Mar 30, 2018
Engr2000:
It's a public forum though. @Geebaby10, be careful about the advice you take. The above comment is a wrong assumption.

Comrade, what is wrong with the comment?

(1) (2) (3) ... (259) (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.