Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,152 members, 7,780,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:43 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (263) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1962977 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:40pm On Mar 30, 2018
greggng:

Listen carefully I 've been a strong active menber of nairaland for a long time. I 've benefited a lot from here and as a result I am aware of the implication of anything I do here. I don't come here to say what I cannot do. You are right I don't leave in Canada niether did i claim I do. But my friend and work mate just relocated to Canada not up to two months ago. I am not gonna state details here but he crossed from USA.that's the best I can say. Brandish me any name but lots of people that know me knows who I am. Nobody has encountered me and got misinformed. I bought my car at nairaland. A nairalander by name Siena based in London bought me a bran new car battery and he gave it to Gazzus to present to me. My story is well known here.

Don’t get it twisted. Because they are allowed in doesn’t mean they get to stay. They can be asked to leave at any time.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4712A6: 4:40pm On Mar 30, 2018
Just Junk is another service provider that helps with pickup of household items if you get anything from Kijiji or MaxSold. There's also ZipVan, a product of ZipCar - it's like renting a van for $16/hr to do your haulage. I've personally not used any but during pickup, I've seen some people use it and it makes sense.

What I learnt is this - I spend a lot of time on Kijiji looking for items and they could be scattered around the city. So, to pick up all these items, I'll start going from Point A to B to F. Under MaxSold, I got a lot of items fixed. Sometimes, the owner is unhappy that the item sells so low but that's how auctions work and I feel it saves a lot of money. Another tip is to be patient, people generally bid due to their situation. One time, I wanted a sofa I actually wasn't interested in. I bid for $1 and I was praying someone outbid me because it was not my color of choice. On the closing date of auction, the sofa skyrocketed to $340. That meant someone was really in dire need of it. I just waited, looked for another one around the area and got a 2-in-1 sofa for $5.

So just plan well. I hear this is a good time since Spring is around. A lot of people are moving places.

27 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adeza: 6:23pm On Mar 30, 2018
greggng:

Listen carefully I 've been a strong active menber of nairaland for a long time. I 've benefited a lot from here and as a result I am aware of the implication of anything I do here. I don't come here to say what I cannot do. You are right I don't leave in Canada niether did i claim I do. But my friend and work mate just relocated to Canada not up to two months ago. I am not gonna state details here but he crossed from USA.that's the best I can say. Brandish me any name but lots of people that know me knows who I am. Nobody has encountered me and got misinformed. I bought my car at nairaland. A nairalander by name Siena based in London bought me a bran new car battery and he gave it to Gazzus to present to me. My story is well known here.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada-deports-family-back-to-nigeria-1.2005002
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akaewu: 7:30pm On Mar 30, 2018
good evening house .... have an inquiry.
is it true that when you enter canada via express entry with your family, you get monthly stipends for your kids (only) every month ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sparkle2k3: 8:23pm On Mar 30, 2018
vcole:
fusion23. I found this.
Hello Vcole, pls any idea if 2years clinical practice in Anaesthesia also counts for the IMG programs like Family medicine and the rest?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 8:24pm On Mar 30, 2018
Akaewu:
good evening house .... have an inquiry.
is it true that when you enter canada via express entry with your family, you get monthly stipends for your kids (only) every month ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/canada-child-benefit-indigenous.html
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:39pm On Mar 30, 2018
sparkle2k3:

Hello Vcole, pls any idea if 2years clinical practice in Anaesthesia also counts for the IMG programs like Family medicine and the rest?
it wouldn't count for PRA programs. Only 2yrs family medicine residency or 3yrs independent practice counts towards that .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 9:43pm On Mar 30, 2018
superdoll:

Thank you @xx01 @vcole
Does this mean i must have to leave and re-enter somehow or perhaps have to wait for months before booking appointment to register as a PR?
don't fret ok? Inland applicants don't have to leave before "landing ". You would go to the nearest office where landing can be done. Instructions would be in your copr when it arrives, i suppose and if not, you can always contact ircc for more info. I don't think you would have issues with landing.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 11:03pm On Mar 30, 2018
Fusion23:

Sharepoint is not much..it added to know dynamics and then sharepoint..cos share point is document management for dynamics...

but share point alone is not much...are u into share point and are you in canada?

I'm not into SharePoint and I'm not in Canada. Was just curious.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 12:30am On Mar 31, 2018
DadR:

Thanks Boss.

Is it easy for a Non IT sombori to learn these from scratch without much stress? Sombori from the Banking sector precisely.

Believe me, programming takes time to master as there are so many things to learn. So if you're looking for a stress free something, please kindly look elsewhere.

For instance, let's say you want to develop Salesforce applications, you'll at least need to know what a MVC architecture is. To have a deep understanding of MVC, you'll need to learn at least a framework that implements MVC pattern for a backend language.

Below is a list of some backend languages and some of their frameworks
a. Python (Django, Flask, web2py)
b. Php. (Laravel, CakePhp, Phalcon)
c. Node.JS (Express)
d. Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
e. Java (Spring)

Can you learn a framework without learning the language it was based on? Yes!

Should you? No!

The advantage of learning a language then one of its many frameworks is that you will
have all the basics of programming covered, so porting to another language or framework of the same language would be a breeze.

Then no one tells an intending programmer how much they are going to need to know about databases before they start learning how to program. Then there's Version Control that you will almost never hear about until you start reading job descriptions and you'll start wondering how you never heard it before. But if you're intrigued by the prospects of it all, please take the jump and be ready for the time of your life!

N.B: I'm not trying to scare you; just telling you as it is... Good luck

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 8:31am On Mar 31, 2018
Thanks @simiolu1, I really appreciate your elaborate feedback.

simiolu1:

Believe me, programming takes time to master as there are so many things to learn. So if you're looking for a stress free something, please kindly look elsewhere.

For instance, let's say you want to develop Salesforce applications, you'll at least need to know what a MVC architecture is. To have a deep understanding of MVC, you'll need to learn at least a framework that implements MVC pattern for a backend language.

c. Node.JS (Express)
d. Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
e. Java (Spring)

Should you? No!

The advantage of learning a language then one of its many frameworks is that you will
have all the basics of programming covered, so porting to another language or framework of the same language would be a breeze.

Then no one tells an intending programmer how much they are going to need to know about databases before they start learning how to program. Then there's Version Control that you will almost never hear about until you start reading job descriptions and you'll start wondering how you never heard it before. But if you're intrigued by the prospects of it all, please take the jump and be ready for the time of your life!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by superdoll: 8:41am On Mar 31, 2018
vcole:
don't fret ok? Inland applicants don't have to leave before "landing ". You would go to the nearest office where landing can be done. Instructions would be in your copr when it arrives, i suppose and if not, you can always contact ircc for more info. I don't think you would have issues with landing.

Thank you so much for always taking out time to respond. U are a blessing to this thread.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hardhewoonmee(f): 9:14am On Mar 31, 2018
Thanks
GlitteringStar:
I'm now a bona fide member of this thread. smiley I received my Visa and COPR today. To God be the Glory.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akaewu: 10:28am On Mar 31, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 31, 2018
hardhewoonmee:
Hi glittering star...
I saw on my CIC application Decision made, what does that imply...nothing fron AVO yet...in how many estimated days should I expect my Visa back.
Thanks

PR application right? Your status will change to "approved". After that, you will receive your pick up mail and then Visa + COPR. My status changed to approved on 9th March and I received my Visa & COPR on 23rd March.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 1:11pm On Mar 31, 2018
simiolu1:

c. Node.JS (Express)
d. Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
e. Java (Spring)

Should you? No!

Another factor is experience ..learning qualifies you for an associate role or junior level which is very competitive, but with 2 years work experience or freelance....the difference is clear ..In north america experience is very important..so try get real life experience while working also.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 5:48pm On Mar 31, 2018
superdoll:

Thank you so much for always taking out time to respond. U are a blessing to this thread.

People usually prefer the flagpole option because of the sometimes lengthy wait to get an appointment for landing at an immigration office. You need an appointment.

I would contact IRCC to find out when you can get an appointment for landing as it sometimes takes weeks or months to get one. On the other hand, you can always take a road trip to the Canada - US border and land the same day.

Hope this helps. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drhopeful: 6:11pm On Mar 31, 2018
Affordablerent:
@Geebaby10, may you birth safely. In my opinion you should give birth in US. You can't compare the worth of an American passport to that of a Canadian one(think of the future not only money to be spent). If your child has an American citizenship, Canadian permanent stay and Nigerian passport, he or she is covered all round.
Please what worth is an American passport over the Canadian passport? I totally disagree with you. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing an American can achieve that a Canadian cannot achieve. Please stop spreading false news!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drhopeful: 6:20pm On Mar 31, 2018
XX01:

How about the double taxes he will have to pay. Even if he never lives in US or Canada, he would have to pay taxes to both of them even if earning in Naira. Tax will be at their rate.
Thank you my sister. This is a fact most Nigerians are ignorant of. Why put your child through that knowingly? I can understand if one had US kids before achieving Canadian PR. Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense to me! In the end, the child would have to renounce one citizenship if they cannot keep up with both taxes.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by elhey: 7:06pm On Mar 31, 2018
Calgary only for Alberta. E no reach Edmonton.lol cry

4712A6:
For newcomers and residents, when you try to furnish your house or move to new places or you are simply lookin for electronic items, instead of using Kijiji, you can get great deals on MaxSold. A number of people who are moving out or whose grandparents are dead and the children want to come in or companies that are closing down or someone who just wants to change location have items in their houses or offices for auction.

Check the website out. Sometimes awoof fit run belle so if you rely on Kijiji for free deals, it's usually items that are worn out or in bad shape the people there say they're giving out for 'free'. Again, you cut the unnecessary negotiations or inability to see defects in the item you are interested in. Under maxsold they'll snap the actual place of defect if any to auctioned items.

One thing though, you'll need your credit or debit card as they bill your account for successful bids. I got a microwave for $1 and had a Bose speaker for free. At times, some items don't even have bids on them so you can speak to the auctioner. The last place I went, the owner was retiring after 30 years. He had a couch and some office items like printers that he just wanted out. As long as you have a vehicle to take them out with, you can take them for free.

If you want to transport your goods, you can search on Kijiji for guys that help with pick up because their vans have more space than the normal salon car.

The principle behind it is that all the items in the house must go off.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by elhey: 7:41pm On Mar 31, 2018
Coming to Edmonton next week. Finally got my work VISA. Wifey is a student. I have been applying for a couple of jobs in Canada, but i barely see any in Edmonton. Very few in Indeed as per my experience. I have Logistics & supply chain experience.Who can help me with Websites / Offices you know that can need my expertise? Thanks guys

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by superdoll: 8:04pm On Mar 31, 2018
Beeea:

People usually prefer the flagpole option because of the sometimes lengthy wait to get an appointment for landing at an immigration office. You need an appointment.

I would contact IRCC to find out when you can get an appointment for landing as it sometimes takes weeks or months to get one. On the other hand, you can always take a road trip to the Canada - US border and land the same day.
Hope this helps. Cheers

Sure it does. Thank so much too.
@XX01 adviced this as well. Thanks @XX01
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Affordablerent: 8:28pm On Mar 31, 2018
drhopeful:
Thank you my sister. This is a fact most Nigerians are ignorant of. Why put your child through that knowingly? I can understand if one had US kids before achieving Canadian PR. Otherwise, it makes absolutely no sense to me! In the end, the child would have to renounce one citizenship if they cannot keep up with both taxes.

Canadians pay higher tax but earn lower salaries compared to Americans. The US dollar has more value than CAD.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 8:35pm On Mar 31, 2018
superdoll:

thanks for your kind words
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2018
Affordablerent:

Canadians pay higher tax but earn lower salaries compared to Americans. The US dollar has more value than CAD.

Not true. Overall canadians are actually richer. The higher taxes pay for healthcare and post secondary education which are both cheaper in Canada. The U.S. dollar is higher but so is the pounds, which is higher than the USD.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/04/23/upshot/the-american-middle-class-is-no-longer-the-worlds-richest.html

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kazchick(f): 9:58pm On Mar 31, 2018
@canadianfly & @vcolle, pls can i pm you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iyamefa: 11:27pm On Mar 31, 2018
4712A6:
About moving to Quebec, I have not been there but I have someone there. My comments will only be based on research, news and what I have heard. Quebec is like putting France in Canada. There's some form of systemic racism there. Last year, the Mayor was challenged for feigning ignorance about what that means. Even the Arabs (Tunisia, Morocco and those countries who speak French) face some form of discrimination there. They may not say it openly but will do it indirectly. I was following a discussion panel on CBC that was discussing these issues. Imagine being told your French is foreign.

See more here: A minority within a minority: Quebec's struggle to face racism https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4567938

This is not to scare anyone but just be informed. For me I don't want to be in a city where a system will somehow limit my chances. The only thing attractive to me in the city is HEC in Montreal. Haha

I’m interested in this gist cos I’ve heard something about this before. We all know Quebec is almost not in Canada. They have almost everything owned separately from the rest of Canada. The tension between the Montreal stock exchange and toronto stock exchange made me laugh. I know they’re a couple of peeps here in Quebec. Please come and expantiate on this. I would love to take a vacation to Montreal soon. Let me know what to expect.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:49am On Apr 01, 2018
4712A6:
About moving to Quebec, I have not been there but I have someone there. My comments will only be based on research, news and what I have heard. Quebec is like putting France in Canada. There's some form of systemic racism there. Last year, the Mayor was challenged for feigning ignorance about what that means. Even the Arabs (Tunisia, Morocco and those countries who speak French) face some form of discrimination there. They may not say it openly but will do it indirectly. I was following a discussion panel on CBC that was discussing these issues. Imagine being told your French is foreign.

See more here: A minority within a minority: Quebec's struggle to face racism https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4567938

This is not to scare anyone but just be informed. For me I don't want to be in a city where a system will somehow limit my chances. The only thing attractive to me in the city is HEC in Montreal. Haha

You would find systematic racism in every western country or city. Quebec is no exception.

It's ironic that while some are complaining about racism holding them down in Quebec, you would also find succesful black immigrants in their chosen career living and working in the same Quebec.

To some, everywhere in Canada flows with milk and honey, while to others, it is a land filled with giants and descendants of Anak. Lol

Below is a brother from Niger republic enjoying his life and career in Quebec.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadahelper: 3:17am On Apr 01, 2018
simiolu1:

c. Node.JS (Express)
d. Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
e. Java (Spring)

Should you? No!

As someone who studies software eng here and has worked at a few tech companies , I’ll say programming is 50% interest and you’re good

For most of the tech jobs Ive had , sure I had an overall familiarly with software concepts , principles and software patterns but the actual tech stack I always pick up on the job and at time of the interviews I didn’t know.

So what i’m saying is if you’re new to it rather than dive straight to a language , understand the fundamental principles , design patterns , and architectures and learning a language or framework would be very easy.

If anyone coming to canada will be looking for a software developer or designer or programmer job , I can let you know what the interview style for tech jobs are and what the interviewers generally want to hear .

Also lastly the most in demand tech stack right now : Ecmascript 2016 (updated Javascript) , Node JS , React JS , Express , MongoDB, Angular JS , Python and Ruby .. my fellow tech bros and sis focus on these if you’re tryna pick up a new skill and you can be sure of at least 70k cad at least in ottawa and toronto

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 4:04am On Apr 01, 2018
kazchick:
@canadianfly & @vcolle, pls can i pm you
I'll prefer if you ask your questions here for the benefit of others.

(1) (2) (3) ... (260) (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.