Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (269) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979201 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 7:47pm On Apr 10, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Hi, AirBnB is an online portal where people who have homes/space in their homes can place ads on the site for people who need a temporary place to stay. For instance, one landlord could have a 3 bedroom place but only using 2 rooms, so such a person could rent out the third room on a short term basis and share the facilities in the house. Another person could have a basement apartment available to rent out. Some people have multiple homes they own and want to rent out the homes on short term. So depending on your need and budget, you can check AirBnB to see if any one has accommodation available that you could rent.

Where this works out for us new immigrants is that you can find a place that is already furnished where you can stay while you get all your landing formalities completed and then find accommodation for more longer term. Some people use AirBnB to find a place to stay for short landing and then return to Nigeria without having to sign any lease agreement. An increasing number of people also prefer AirBnB for when they vacation here so they can cook their own meals and enjoy more comfort and freedom than the formality of a hotel stay. There have been cases where landlords have established good rapport with some tenants and taken their homes off AirBnB to keep the tenant there so such tenant does not need to move again.

Let your friend register on AirBnB and begin to review the choices available that could meet their short term need for a place to stay. It's a nice way to ease into the system here. Hope this answers your question.
Sir, God bless you for this piece. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eyifunmi: 7:51pm On Apr 10, 2018
Hi everyone!
Thanks to everyone who has been contributing to the thread!
I would be traveling to Calgary via Ethiopian airlines, and will be paying for an extra luggage.
The trip to Calgary from Toronto would be with air Canada, would I need to pay for the extra luggage again at Toronto, or just present receipt given at the Lagos international airport.
I am getting different views, please people who came in through Ethiopian airlines, with extra luggage, and went beyond Toronto, I need your responses.
Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 8:06pm On Apr 10, 2018
Eyifunmi:
Hi everyone!
I would be traveling to Calgary via Ethiopian airlines, and will be paying for an extra luggage.
The trip to Calgary from Toronto would be with air Canada, would I need to pay for the extra luggage again at Toronto, or just present receipt given at the Lagos international airport.
I am getting different views, please people who came in through Ethiopian airlines, with extra luggage, and went beyond Toronto, I need your responses.
Thank you.

Did you pay one fare or 2 separate fares ?
If you paid one fare most likely your luggages will bw transferred from Ethiopia Airways to Air Canada.
Tou wont have to check them in
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kissoflife: 10:33pm On Apr 10, 2018
Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gasplant: 12:12am On Apr 11, 2018
Eyifunmi:
Hi everyone!
Thank you.

If you’d travel within Canada, you would have to claim your luggage from the carrousel first and take the luggage to another terminal where you will check it in to go to Calgary. If this luggage weighs above the limit during check in,you’d have to pay for extra luggage
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gasplant: 12:25am On Apr 11, 2018
TheCongo2:

Did you pay one fare or 2 separate fares ?
If you paid one fare most likely your luggages will bw transferred from Ethiopia Airways to Air Canada.
Tou wont have to check them in

@TheCongo2

Thanks so much for your response to questions on this forum.

I have made several attempts to send you pm’s but no response

Could you please respond. I have something to discuss with you.

Thank you ��
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:30am On Apr 11, 2018
gasplant:

@TheCongo2

Thanks so much for your response to questions on this forum.

I have made several attempts to send you pm’s but no response

Could you please respond. I have something to discuss with you.

Thank you ��

Please use TheCongo2017@gmail.com

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 7:10am On Apr 11, 2018
Someone dropped a hack on how to mask food smells when travelling. Can anyone remember?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gasplant: 8:42am On Apr 11, 2018
rainazoe:
Someone dropped a hack on how to mask food smells when travelling. Can anyone remember?

I’d advise you jettison any idea of trying to outsmart any system put in place by the authorities. Anything u know is not authorized, just forget about it. You can’t mask anything from those sniffer dogs.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 9:09am On Apr 11, 2018
I understand. Are kilishi and knorr chicken allowed into the UK?

gasplant:

I’d advise you jettison any idea of trying to outsmart any system put in place by the authorities. Anything u know is not authorized, just forget about it. You can’t mask anything from those sniffer dogs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 9:34am On Apr 11, 2018
gasplant:

But Iru is allowed na, what poster is asking for is how to mask that smell. I've been searching the tread but I was told it has to be well dried and blended.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 9:37am On Apr 11, 2018
rainazoe:

I understand. Are kilishi and knorr chicken allowed into the UK?

I hear they trash knorr chicken. I don't know of kilishi
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 12:07pm On Apr 11, 2018
wholesomegrace:

But Iru is allowed na, what poster is asking for is how to mask that smell. I've been searching the tread but I was told it has to be well dried and blended.

You can actually bring in fresh iru into Canada. Just put it in an airtight ziploc/plastic bag and label as spice.
Meat and dairy products are not allowed so do not attempt to bring them in. If caught, they might flag you and you might be searched for every subsequent trip you make in addition to being fined. For knorr, some people grind it, put it in a bag and label as spice.
The easiest way to bring food in is to put whatever allowed food you are bringing into transparent bags and label appropriately. It will make your life and the CBSA officer's a whole lot easier.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nwandy218: 3:27pm On Apr 11, 2018
Why do you need to carry knorr? I saw knorr, indomie, royco, milo, peak in fiesta outlets in the US. Am sure there will be similar places in canada to get these things.
wholesomegrace:

I hear they trash knorr chicken. I don't know of kilishi
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2018
Is there any way to chase for an update on PR cards? Is there an email address I can send a request for an update to?

Arrived mid January, some weeks later we were asked to send in new passport photos. We sent these in and tracked the mail to confirm receipt, and both passport photos (sent via separate envelopes) were delivered and signed for by the same person on the same day. Both our PR card applications have been linked to the cic account to track progress. Last Thursday my spouse's application changed to approved and card has now been delivered today, but there's been no change to my PR card application.

I need to travel soon because of work.

Any info on how to chase for an update is much appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rukaiya(f): 5:07pm On Apr 11, 2018
rainazoe:

I can't remember the hack you're referring to but you can mask strong food smells by putting the food in a zip lock or using an air tight container, then use a masking tape to ensure it remains sealed. Alternatively, you can put the food item in an envelope, then cover with cling film.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2018
rainazoe:

rukaiya:

I can't remember the hack you're referring to but you can mask strong food smells by putting the food in a zip lock or using an air tight container, then use a masking tape to ensure it remains sealed. Alternatively, you can put the food item in an envelope, then cover with cling film.

This will not work against airport sniffer dogs. 100% guaranteed!!

I will assume @rainazoe's original question was with respect to reducing the smell in a travel bag and possibly clothes, in which case, you can try the above.

However, if you're trying to bring in contraband. Don't do it. It's not worth the hassle. And as already noted, if you get picked, you will go into the database and every time you pass through the airport, you will get a very thorough search.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:36pm On Apr 11, 2018
A555:
Is there any way to chase for an update on PR cards? Is there an email address I can send a request for an update to?

Arrived mid January, some weeks later we were asked to send in new passport photos. We sent these in and tracked the mail to confirm receipt, and both passport photos (sent via separate envelopes) were delivered and signed for by the same person on the same day. Both our PR card applications have been linked to the cic account to track progress. Last Thursday my spouse's application changed to approved and card has now been delivered today, but there's been no change to my PR card application.

I need to travel soon because of work.

Any info on how to chase for an update is much appreciated.

Hi, there is no published phone number for the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, NS but you can try the Call Centre 1-888-242-2100 for those who are in Canada. Others outside can try contacting the Call Centre +1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: use options 1,2,1,2,1 ...then 0 to skip the recorded message) from outside Canada.

I don't know if you fall under this category but for those who applied for PR more recently (EE/PNP) you can follow the following steps after landing to know the status of your PR card processing. Do note you only have 5 attempts in one day.

1) Login to CIC account.
2) Go to section "Link an existing application to this account". Click on "Link application to this account" button.
3) Select category as PR Card
4) Select "Unique Client Identifier (UCI) and Family Name"
5) Fill required details (please make sure of capital, small, comma etc.)
6) Provide landing date in "Date you became a permanent resident"
7) Click on 'search my application'
cool after application searched, make sure you submit application else it not link

Once you have successfully linked your application it will show you as "Submitted" status and once it is ready for dispatch it will go into "Approved" status.

The steps above were copied from a post at canadavisa forum, hope it helps.

22 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 5:59pm On Apr 11, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Hi, there is no published phone number for the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, NS but you can try the Call Centre 1-888-242-2100 for those who are in Canada. Others outside can try contacting the Call Centre +1 613 944 4000 (for an agent: use options 1,2,1,2,1 ...then 0 to skip the recorded message) from outside Canada.

I don't know if you fall under this category but for those who applied for PR more recently (EE/PNP) you can follow the following steps after landing to know the status of your PR card processing. Do note you only have 5 attempts in one day.

1) Login to CIC account.
2) Go to section "Link an existing application to this account". Click on "Link application to this account" button.
cool after application searched, make sure you submit application else it not link

Once you have successfully linked your application it will show you as "Submitted" status and once it is ready for dispatch it will go into "Approved" status.

Thanks. I will try the number. You really are a legend on this thread. smiley

Both our PR cards were linked to the same CIC account as you've described. Last week, one application was updated to approved and the card was delivered today. The other remains still as "Submitted" status.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 6:21pm On Apr 11, 2018
A555:

Thanks. I will try the number. You really are a legend on this thread. smiley

Both our PR cards were linked to the same CIC account as you've described. Last week, one application was updated to approved and the card was delivered today. The other remains still as "Submitted" status.

I have tried to link severally but I keep seeing no applications found.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 7:13pm On Apr 11, 2018
MrsBee:

I have tried to link severally but I keep seeing no applications found.

I went with the options in the attached screen shots.

For Given Names, use both your first and middle names, if this is what you have consistently used in your applications. All information must exactly match what you used in your applications. Date you became a PR is when you landed and got signed in at the airport.

For us it immediately pulled up both our PR card applications, which I then linked to the same cic account, one after the other.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 7:29pm On Apr 11, 2018
A555:

I went with the options in the attached screen shots.

For Given Names, use both your first and middle names, if this is what you have consistently used in your applications. All information must exactly match what you used in your applications. Date you became a PR is when you landed and got signed in at the airport.

For us it immediately pulled up both our PR card applications, which I then linked to the same cic account, one after the other.

I have tried all the options. How long after landing were you able to link it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caon: 7:45pm On Apr 11, 2018
Blackbuddy:

1) Login to CIC account.

thank u
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 7:54pm On Apr 11, 2018
MrsBee:

I have tried all the options. How long after landing were you able to link it?

I believe you should be able to link it immediately after the landing officer has initiated your PR card application when you land. I was planning to do mine immediately we arrived, but I forgot and it only crossed my mind about 6 weeks after we landed, when someone on this thread made a reference to it.

I would double check the information you're putting in, and get someone (maybe spouse) to also double check the information you put in. The slightest changes, misspelt names, etc will make it come up with no record found. Birth Places like Ilesa vs IleSHa or Ogbomoso vs OgbomoSHo, it needs to be consistent with what's been on your PR application.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 10:01pm On Apr 11, 2018
Anyone interested

Myticas OTTAWA is looking for a Full stack Developer in a Java environment - Java/JavaScript/Angular or React.
This is a Permanent role !! if you or someone you know is interested please send me your resume htavares@myticas.com
Helena Tavares Senior IT Recruiter.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 10:41pm On Apr 11, 2018
A555:

I believe you should be able to link it immediately after the landing officer has initiated your PR card application when you land. I was planning to do mine immediately we arrived, but I forgot and it only crossed my mind about 6 weeks after we landed, when someone on this thread made a reference to it.

I would double check the information you're putting in, and get someone (maybe spouse) to also double check the information you put in. The slightest changes, misspelt names, etc will make it come up with no record found. Birth Places like Ilesa vs IleSHa or Ogbomoso vs OgbomoSHo, it needs to be consistent with what's been on your PR application.

A number of people have reported issues with linking. Someone sent an email to IRCC and got this response, so probably not everyone will be able to link it.

2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 10:45pm On Apr 11, 2018
Hello All, I feel I should write a synopsis of my journey to encourage someone out there.
My journey started last year when I got pr in September, 2017; I was immediately bombarded with confusion and fear. I cam on this thread to enquire in how to proceed but got no responses. Sometimes the way we respond to people’s innocent and seemingly stupid (to us) questions here is rather discouraging.
Anyways, I never commented on the thread again till now. Luckily the internet has any kind of info you need and I invested a chunk of my time on it in research. I got into canny in September and was admitted to a masters program. Now because of my pr, my tuition was automatically halved. That was the first joy! Now I had extra money to invest in my employability. Being in banking, for fun I tried out d CSC exam n made d first exam comfortably but wasn’t looking for work yet as am still enrolled in fulltime studies. So I updated my LinkedIn with d CSC in progress n exam 1 passed. Having always heard about d efficacy of LinkedIn, I decided to test it by looking for a bank job only tru d platform. In February, I changed my profile pic, strategically invited recruiters n top managers at d banks I wud love to continue my career to connect wit me and prepared a self-reflecting elevator pitch. So as dey accept n connect wit me, I send dem my prepared pitch tailored to their names n positions. By February ending I had 2 phone interviews which progressed rather rapidly to job offers. Am accepting a part time job now so as to round up my course work b4 beginning at a fulltime position later in d year.
So wats my story’s point?
* be prepared to do your research on internet; use variety of resources
* remain focus on ur plan
* please please LinkedIn is ur best tool for getting a job; present n interact professionally on it
* stop being dismissive of people on public platforms n guard ur utterances; mind u, u never know wen u may need dat person
* everyone has a distinct n unique path in life so wat works for one may not work for u; invest in urself

Take care and gudluck in all your endeavours��

66 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 10:57pm On Apr 11, 2018
Blingyrie:
Hello All, I feel I should write a synopsis of my journey to encourage someone out there.
My journey started last year when I got pr in September, 2017; I was immediately bombarded with confusion and fear. By February ending I had 2 phone interviews which progressed rather rapidly to job offers. Am accepting a part time job now so as to round up my course work b4 beginning at a fulltime position later in d year.
* please please LinkedIn is ur best tool for getting a job; present n interact professionally on it
* stop being dismissive of people on public platforms n guard ur utterances; mind u, u never know wen u may need dat person
* everyone has a distinct n unique path in life so wat works for one may not work for u; invest in urself

Congratulations

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iyamefa: 5:34am On Apr 12, 2018
wholesomegrace:

Why worry with bringing Iru Into Canada with the smell? There’s iru here, I got it to buy for $2.99
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 6:05am On Apr 12, 2018
Hey Blingyrie. I am so sorry about your experience here. Thank you for coming back to share with us.

For LinkedIn, I noticed once the recruiter/manager sensed I am not in Canada, they ignored me even after connecting. So did not accept connection. Or maybe my game isn't tight enough.

Can you share your pitch here so we could learn? Please? Thank you.

Blingyrie:
My journey started last year when I got pr in September, 2017; I was immediately bombarded with confusion and fear. I cam on this thread to enquire in how to proceed but got no responses. Sometimes the way we respond to people’s innocent and seemingly stupid (to us) questions here is rather discouraging.
Anyways, I never commented on the thread again till now. Luckily the internet has any kind of info you need and I invested a chunk of my time on it in research. I got into canny in September and was admitted to a masters program. Now because of my pr, my tuition was automatically halved. That was the first joy! Now I had extra money to invest in my employability. Being in banking, for fun I tried out d CSC exam n made d first exam comfortably but wasn’t looking for work yet as am still enrolled in fulltime studies. So I updated my LinkedIn with d CSC in progress n exam 1 passed. Having always heard about d efficacy of LinkedIn, I decided to test it by looking for a bank job only tru d platform. In February, I changed my profile pic, strategically invited recruiters n top managers at d banks I wud love to continue my career to connect wit me and prepared a self-reflecting elevator pitch. So as dey accept n connect wit me, I send dem my prepared pitch tailored to their names n positions. By February ending I had 2 phone interviews which progressed rather rapidly to job offers. Am accepting a part time job now so as to round up my course work b4 beginning at a fulltime position later in d year.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 7:21am On Apr 12, 2018
Hi Rainzoe,
If you are going to be arriving in Canada within a month, then u can use ur desired city on ur profile. Find below sample of d pitch I used:

Hello firstname,

Thank you for accepting my invite to connect.

I requested for a connection with you because of your formidable experience in the Canadian financial industry as a Human Resources developer, which I hope to glean from (if you don’t mind).

I am a new permanent resident with several years of financial services experience; albeit from my home country. Am currently searching for an opportunity to showcase my skills and capabilities. I am an efficient and affective worker, with great adaptability and ability to work from the ground up.

I implore you to kindly keep me in mind during your talent hunts. Thank you and I wish you a pleasant day ahead.

Sincerely,
Ur full names

quote author=rainazoe post=66636736]
Hey Blingyrie. I am so sorry about your experience here. Thank you for coming back to share with us.

For LinkedIn, I noticed once the recruiter/manager sensed I am not in Canada, they ignored me even after connecting. So did not accept connection. Or maybe my game isn't tight enough.

Can you share your pitch here so we could learn? Please? Thank you.

[/quote]

63 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 10:19am On Apr 12, 2018
Iyamefa:

Why worry with bringing Iru Into Canada with the smell? There’s iru here, I got it to buy for $2.99

Lol, you are right, but I don't think its everywhere. I still got a call recently from a friend telling me the only thing she needs from me when coming is iru grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (266) (267) (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.