Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,781 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976432 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lhimeet(m): 6:25pm On Apr 16, 2018
yokus:
Day 2- Got fido line $60cd 6gigs mainly because i intend to use the hotspot alot as i dont think it makes sense for Oga to get a contract since he is soft landing . I will change it to the $45 4gig next month or even something cheaper. They offered $11cad for phone insurance- they replace it if it breaks or is stolen - you can only claim twice a year. So go to shoppers world and ask for Dave if you are in the GTA- they seem to know what they r doing there.

Note- not all fido staff know their onions. The person that attended to my brother said that he needed Canadian ID so i avoided that place and luckily met someone that has experience with newbies like us and Oh lest i forget he gave me $100cad credit free cos i spent almost an hour there cos they had computer issues. So 1st month bill cleared smiles.

Day 3
Got 6mnths free banking with TD 1500cred card, walmart and school runs. The kids have been bored 2 out of 3 of them will start school today so they have something to gist bout over easter break. Class picture is April 3rd. Im glad we came at the right time

It has been overwhelming honestly
Yet to do the school runs.

Need advise o- which home internet is better- Rogers or Bell?
I Missed you guys but the fear of over 2500msgs is the beginning of wisdom

Been using uber with my gtbank naira card. Cant wait to get a licence

Sorry for the epistle but wanted to touch as much as i could to help others

I give thanks to Almighty God for everything
Na person wey get money this epistle go touch

Anyways Good luck in Canny!

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amindondee: 10:14pm On Apr 16, 2018
paid 95CAD only. that is all

balogunsam:

Thanks for this information. May the land favour your family.
Got quick questions please:

1. For the goods following, did you send via airline or how? I mean how can i know the cargo service to use?

2. You mentioned a year to bring in other goods that follow. Are all these items duty free? I mean apart from the 120k you paid in Nigeria, did you have to pay anything else in Canada?

Thank you!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amindondee: 10:14pm On Apr 16, 2018
Well, Not necessarily so.

Depends on the amount of stuff. 120kg is much trust me

telias:

Congrats on your safe landing.
Wondering though if it might be cheaper for you to buy food in Canada considering the cost of shipping. Those things are available over there you know. Whatever cost you are considering saving will be absorbed by shipping fees

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by misscanada123: 10:37pm On Apr 16, 2018
honey86:

Cost of living varies by city. It will be hard to give a general cost.
In Winnipeg, a one bedroom will go for $750-$1200. Groceries for a family of 4, between 400-600.

Hi,
Please I read somewhere, you mentioned your hubby getting CPA through MRA. Please which accounting designation did he have before? ACCA?
I searched on cpamanitoba website for info but got somewhat confused? Hubby currently has ICAN and looking to do ACCA. We are yet to land nut will do in few months..

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Omomabo: 7:11am On Apr 17, 2018
Hi was it an airline or cargo agency u used for the goods to follow? Can u assist with details cos I also have a lot of items to carry and this option makes more sense

amindondee:
paid 95CAD only. that is all

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Elixir123: 9:59am On Apr 17, 2018
congrats @Yokus .May the land be green and sweet for you and yours.We dey anticipate ours soon .This is our year ijn.
We need more pics and stories seniors ,it haff tay.
Have a great day everyone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 11:24pm On Apr 17, 2018
To whom it may concern.

Job Title: Business Analyst
Organisation: ScotiaBank

https://jobs.scotiabank.com/job/Ottawa-Business-Analyst-Ottawa-ON-ON/357420617/?feedId=214217&utm_source=Indeed&utm_campaign=Scotiabank_Indeed&emid=3640

Good luck guys.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lilyandie: 3:30am On Apr 18, 2018
Hallo my people, so my landing gist

I landed last week sunday. I flew two airlines because i used miles to purchase my ticket and i spent some time in London before heading to Canada. I flew Klm from Naija to London and then BA from London to Toronto.

I cargoed my things, which was 112kg, i cargoed with airfrance, and it cost me 108,000, paid the customs guys 20k for clearing my goods and 3,500 to purchase cartons and settle the guys who wrapped the things.
I cargoed my things cos i wanted to avoid dragging suitcases and ghana must bags. My things arrived after 3 days.
I landed in Toronto by 4:30pm, no queue at all, was asked the usual questions, they collected one of my COPR and welcomed me to Canada.
Could not process my SIN when i got in cos they dont work on Sunday.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lilyandie: 3:41am On Apr 18, 2018
Part 2.

I had already booked an airbnb apartment for two weeks, so my friend picked me up from the airport and dropped me off there. The weather was quite cold, like winter london cold, and its meant to be spring o.

Day 2. When to get my SIN from Service Canada office close to me, took about an hour to get it. Then went to get a sim. Signed up with Virgin mobile for $50 a month for 4 gig, they said it was promo. I might switch soon to Fido, not really impressed with it.

I started apartment hunting, something you guys should know. They will ask you for employment letter, reference letter, payslip, guarrantors and first and last month. It is very very frustrating. I finally decided to share a flat with someone, its cheaper, and since i’m alone, i figured it will help meeting new people. With this in mind, i narrowed my search to flatshares, and i got a place on Thursday.

Something else to mention, Do Not Come To This Country without Money. Canada is expensive, everything is expensive, and they add tax to everything, everything o
Ive started job hunting, so i’m very optimistic.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lilyandie: 3:44am On Apr 18, 2018
I visited an African store today

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lilyandie: 3:45am On Apr 18, 2018
More pics

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lilyandie: 3:51am On Apr 18, 2018
See spring o

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by lilyandie: 3:51am On Apr 18, 2018
More pics

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Solo8(m): 4:01am On Apr 18, 2018
yokus:

Need advise o- which home internet is better- Rogers or Bell?
I Missed you guys but the fear of over 2500msgs is the beginning of wisdom

Been using uber with my gtbank naira card. Cant wait to get a licence

Sorry for the epistle but wanted to touch as much as i could to help others

I give thanks to Almighty God for everything

Havent been on for a while but I thought I check since I'll be visiting Naija next week.

Go with Teksavvy, I've been with them for about 10 yrs. Reliable and cheaper than Bell or Rogers.

14 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by WoodcrestMayor(m): 9:13am On Apr 18, 2018
Congrats bro!

3 questions abeg;

1.) Were you a banker in Nigeria?
2.)If yes,what department were you in
3.)What position were you offered in TD?
kay2011:
Long post Alert. Make una no vex abeg.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 11:11am On Apr 18, 2018
lilyandie:
Hallo my people, so my landing gist

I landed last week sunday. I flew two airlines because i used miles to purchase my ticket and i spent some time in London before heading to Canada. I flew Klm from Naija to London and then BA from London to Toronto.

I cargoed my things, which was 112kg, i cargoed with airfrance, and it cost me 108,000, paid the customs guys 20k for clearing my goods and 3,500 to purchase cartons and settle the guys who wrapped the things.
I cargoed my things cos i wanted to avoid dragging suitcases and ghana must bags. My things arrived after 3 days.
I landed in Toronto by 4:30pm, no queue at all, was asked the usual questions, they collected one of my COPR and welcomed me to Canada.
Could not process my SIN when i got in cos they dont work on Sunday.

AirFrance seems cheaper than going to the Cargo guys. Congratulations.

2 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 11:43am On Apr 18, 2018
help house, you guys are doing a great job and it is highly appreciated. pls can anyone share a general knowledge about living in Burlington and Waterloo. thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by WoodcrestMayor(m): 11:58am On Apr 18, 2018
Do I need to travel with my transcript or would WES report suffice each time in need to do anything academic?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Virt: 2:18pm On Apr 18, 2018
Obtaining CPA designation through the MRA is with ACCA not ICAN.

On another note, CPA (BC) annual dues for 2018 for non Canadian resident members is 573.25cad. GST/HST taxes of 58cad included in the fees

Please landed seniors, should non Canadian residents be taxed? if not, how can one claim them back?

misscanada123:

Hi,
Please I read somewhere, you mentioned your hubby getting CPA through MRA. Please which accounting designation did he have before? ACCA?
I searched on cpamanitoba website for info but got somewhat confused? Hubby currently has ICAN and looking to do ACCA. We are yet to land nut will do in few months..

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amindondee: 2:58pm On Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, Via Airline. Airfrance is cheaper than the cargo guys from what i read above
Omomabo:
Hi was it an airline or cargo agency u used for the goods to follow? Can u assist with details cos I also have a lot of items to carry and this option makes more sense

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 5:04pm On Apr 18, 2018
Very very Long Post Alert!!!

Hi Guys,

This is our landing story... its a little bizarre so please bear with me.

We left Nigeria on 14th April. Our flight was for 1:40 Saturday afternoon, we went with 4 big boxes and two hand luggage. The check-in bags were all overweight so there was a brief period of craziness where my mother and my wife and her sisters had to open up the bags and jettison all the extra crap they had packed all in the name of "load". I tagged all the bags and we proceeded to passport control and immigration. I only parted with 1k by way of "roger"(thank God). I was ready for them and thought we would be forced to part with more but maybe they were in a good mood that day...Fast forward to the flight proper...uninteresting. We flew Ethiopian Airlines and I must say that the food was funny. Always rice rice rice at a point we got tired of eating rice and started eating the fried snail we had arranged from home. The plan was to finish it before we landed before customs would seize it. We got to Addis Ababa and went to connect to our next flight to Dublin. Halfway into the flight, the pilot comes on the PA and announces that we'll be turning back to Addis. There was a technical issue with the plane and the guys in Dublin did not have the equipment for maintenance. You could hear the passengers protesting but not for too long, I mean, who wan die? The way I saw it...better to turn around than for us to crash. simple. Little did i know that would be the least of my worries. We got back to addis ababa at about 3am and had to wait for another plane to arrive from Tel Aviv. The plane finally came at about 5:15 am and we started the second missionary journey. We arrived Dublin without any other issue and waited for about an hour while the plane refueled. Took off again to Toronto without incident. Went to arrivals where we were stamped in. Then proceeded to the immigration queue. Didn’t spend too long on that queue either (about 15 mins) a lady officer attended to us. She was both friendly and helpful. She welcomed us to Canada and asked if we had commited any crimes and if we had been denied visa to any other country…the usual. Then we went to pick up our bags at the carousel. I waited and waited for one of my bags but when it became apparent that it wasn’t coming we lodged a complaint at the counter, they told me I would get my bag in 24-48hours…I’m still waiting for it. All the foodstuff and my wife’s things arrived. Only my own bag no show. E pain me. Thank God my wife thought to put some of my things in her own bag while she was packing or I would still be wearing my travelling clothes. Anyways, we proceeded to customs. While on that queue, I started checking what they were asking other people for. It seemed there wasn’t any rhyme or rhythm to their search/questions. One angry looking female officer unceremoniously binned some items brought in by one man…another man just asked questions about peoples dogs and what not. My wife started praying that we shouldn’t be attended to by that woman. Me sef I prayed. You need to see the huge bin. The man didn’t even complain he just smiled and walked away. It came to our turn and we were attended to by a young female officer who welcomed us again to Canada, she noted how tired we looked and just asked us how much cash we had with us, took the paper issued by the lost baggage people and waved us on our way. The main airport terminal was very busy. people were stranded because of the weather .we raced between terminal 1 and 3 trying to see if we could get a flight out to Montreal that night. No such luck.We had to sleep at the airport that night. The cold ehn…hmmm,I cannot talk about that one. there are just no words. Air Canada had grounded their flights so the lady at the counter advised us to go by train. She was also very helpful and told us many people had already taken that option. So we booked our train seats for the following morning. From UPE to Union Station in Toronto and then via ViaRail to Ottawa and then Montreal. No be small journey but we got to see the area so all na adventure. We finally arrived at the airbnb here at about 5pm yesterday paid the taxi man about 50dollars from downtown Montreal to Laval where the airbnb is. The airbnb is actually smaller than it appears in pictures. I no know say oyibo dey play wayo sef but it is still worth the price and extremely clean. We have the entire place to ourselves(it’s a 2bedder @ $770,then again, its Laval).Our host is very helpful and responds to all our enquiries as

We visited Service Canada today and got SIN and opened my bank account today. My wife was doing “alaroro” so she refused to open at RBC with me. She said she had read on nairaland about the freebies and what not offered by TD Bank so we crossed over to TD bank which is right across the street and the was so difference was so clear she changed her mind and decided to open with RBC instead. I mean they gave me a 2000 dollar credit limit at the spot at RBC but TD said we’d have to apply and the process would go through approval and the man kept on mentioning that approval was on a case by case basis so he couldn’t tell us for sure if we qualified for credit or not. At this time, we don log out. We were just looking for a polite way to escape back to RBC.

Anyways, next up is a visit to my office in Pointe Claire as I never sabi road,make I no loss. My wife has also begun her job search. The bilingualism issue is a bit of a downer but we’r determined to remain positive and to learn more of the language and culture..

I’ve tried to be as detailed as possible cos I know a whole lotta people are coming behind us. If there are other questions you need answered, I’ll try my best to do so…All for the movement

70 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:19pm On Apr 18, 2018
kachikapor:

Hi Guys,

We left Nigeria on 14th April. Our flight was for 1:40 Saturday afternoon, we went with 4 big boxes and two hand luggage. The check-in bags were all overweight so there was a brief period of craziness where my mother and my wife and her sisters had to open up the bags and jettison all the extra crap they had packed all in the name of "load". I tagged all the bags and we proceeded to passport control and immigration. I only parted with 1k by way of "roger"(thank God). I was ready for them and thought we would be forced to part with more but maybe they were in a good mood that day...

Anyways, next up is a visit to my office in Pointe Claire as I never sabi road,make I no loss. My wife has also begun her job search. The bilingualism issue is a bit of a downer but we’r determined to remain positive and to learn more of the language and culture..

I’ve tried to be as detailed as possible cos I know a whole lotta people are coming behind us. If there are other questions you need answered, I’ll try my best to do so…All for the movement

Welcome to Canada, you will find it has all been worth the while smiley

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 5:24pm On Apr 18, 2018
Congratulations Kachikapor. May the land be green for you and your family. Please how did u get a job before landing?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 5:25pm On Apr 18, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Welcome to Canada, you will find it has all been worth the while smiley

Thanks a lot boss. Your stories played a big part in helping us prepare for this move.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 5:40pm On Apr 18, 2018
vascey:
Congratulations Kachikapor. May the land be green for you and your family. Please how did u get a job before landing?

Thanks Vascey.

The company i work with is a global business. I just leveraged on my relationships with the bosses i work with regionally and God was there using them to connect me with the Canadian Vice President and the HR people there who informed me of a role similar to what i was doing in Nigeria. We started exchanging emails back and forth since Dec 2017. In February i had a couple of interviews with them via Skype and the rest as they say is history. Truth is, my wife is very active "silent" reader here on Nairaland and she read a post someone put up here about an Indian family who was struggling in Canada after giving up their cushy jobs in Hewlett Packard and the bank where his wife worked and he was working as a security man in Canada while his wife was working as a nanny or something.One of the things he mentioned he regretted in that post was the fact that he never leveraged on the HP brand before quitting his job. I too was headed in the same direction until I came home from work one night and my wife showed me that post. That was when we began thinking about reaching out to my company in Canada to see if there was room for an internal transfer of sorts...na so i take reach here o.

62 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 5:48pm On Apr 18, 2018
kachikapor:

Ya welcome. Thanks for sharing
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by simiolu1(m): 5:59pm On Apr 18, 2018
kachikapor:

Thanks Vascey.

The company i work with is a global business. I just leveraged on my relationships with the bosses i work with regionally and God was there using them to connect me with the Canadian Vice President and the HR people there who informed me of a role similar to what i was doing in Nigeria. We started exchanging emails back and forth since Dec 2017. In February i had a couple of interviews with them via Skype and the rest as they say is history. Truth is, my wife is very active "silent" reader here on Nairaland and she read a post someone put up here about an Indian family who was struggling in Canada after giving up their cushy jobs in Hewlett Packard and the bank where his wife worked and he was working as a security man in Canada while his wife was working as a nanny or something.One of the things he mentioned he regretted in that post was the fact that he never leveraged on the HP brand before quitting his job. I too was headed in the same direction until I came home from work one night and my wife showed me that post. That was when we began thinking about reaching out to my company in Canada to see if there was room for an internal transfer of sorts...na so i take reach here o.

The Yoruba's say that 'Ogbon o'ologbon la fi s'ogbon" meaning "studying the wisdom of others can make you wise".

Big ups to everyone who has shared one thing or the other here regardless of its source (Quora, personal experience, them say them say, Salon gossip, Google etc), your contributions have sure helped people make better decisions.

May the land be green for you!!!!

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by follyzee: 6:01pm On Apr 18, 2018
Wow!!! Amazing!!!

Big Congrats to you n ur Family

Wishing you the very best..

kachikapor:

Thanks Vascey.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:07pm On Apr 18, 2018
kachikapor:

Thanks Vascey.

Welcome to Canada.

Since your destination was Montreal, I'm surprised you didn't take Royal Air Maroc.... doesn't matter anymore though
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Merovingian: 6:26pm On Apr 18, 2018
kachikapor:

The company i work with is a global business.

That was when we began thinking about reaching out to my company in Canada to see if there was room for an internal transfer of sorts...na so i take reach here o.

See the effect of how people sharing their experience can help reshape opportunities for others. More people should explore this internal move before jumping on that plane.

Congratulations!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:28pm On Apr 18, 2018
simiolu1:

The youruba's say that 'Ogbon o'ologbon la fi s'oggbon" meaning "studying the wisdom of others can make you wise".

!

Very deep
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2018
May the land of Canny suit you and your family, thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry about your luggage.

Lolsss, I can so relate to the craziness that happens when bags have to be reshuffled because of overweight grin , same happened when we saw my sister off to the Airport a few weeks back, she was headed to Ontario.

All the best.
[quote author=kachikapor post=66824284]Very very Long Post Alert!!!

Hi Guys,

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (268) (269) (270) (271) (272) (273) (274) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Hayzed20x

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.