Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,723 members, 7,805,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (279) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979057 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caseynewnn: 4:32pm On Apr 28, 2018
adewa1980:
Hi eFamily, please i need some help from anyone that has the most up to date information. I and my partner got our COPR and our destination is Ontario because they sponsored us, i am pregnant and will be due in mid June by the grace of God. We want to give birth in Canada but the problem is that Ontario province has a three months waiting period to get the OHIP. My question is if anybody know how much is it to give birth in Ontario and if there is a cheaper option...
I heard birthing centres are quite cheap.u could Google them n make findings
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 5:28pm On Apr 28, 2018
@adewa1980, you have two choices,
1. If you don't have to land in canada in a hurry due to medical or passport expiration, give birth in nigeria, then send notification to CIC for the new addition. It would cost you much less than paying out of pocket.

2. If you need to be in canada urgently, then read this thread diligently, get the basics of the process, begin to use google to search out hospitals in your desired location, hit the phone lines and start making calls. Where possible, if you have friends already in ontario, then get referals from them...
https://www.nairaland.com/1346880/giving-birth-canada/65

hope this helps..

Modified: going through your posts, i see you live in UK and did your medicals between sep-nov 2017, so you still have time. in that case , option 1 is good. However, a brief skimming through the canada birth thread shows that our najia brethern have started to spoil business for other people angry..such that the few doctors that had been discovered now refuse to take cash paying patients as our people were doing "the usa medicaid system" - use service and abscond without paying, leaving the bill for the govt to pick up...But the most important finding there was that they do take insured patients, so if you need to give birth in canada and ontario, you would have to get a health insurance to cover your bills...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mofoyoke: 6:33pm On Apr 28, 2018
[qquote author=Tojued post=67105707]

You can't buy health insurance for a pre existing condition like pregnancy.

You can't land in alberta and fulfil their six month health care obligation if you were sponsored by ontario. You have a moral obligation to spend at least two years in ontario.

Best bet is the thread op has already been referred to. Even though she's PR she has to pay for her delivery etc and that thread can help get the best value for her money.[/quote]

Hello, please I will like to ask similar question. I will be landing in Ontario September and my due date is end of December. From my calculation the 90 days wait would have been over before the due date. Please within that period can I get health insurance or not. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 6:41pm On Apr 28, 2018
mamacajah:
@adewa1980, you have two choices,
1. If you don't have to land in canada in a hurry due to medical or passport expiration, give birth in nigeria, then send notification to CIC for the new addition. It would cost you much less than paying out of pocket.

2. If you need to be in canada urgently, then read this thread diligently, get the basics of the process, begin to use google to search out hospitals in your desired location, hit the phone lines and start making calls. Where possible, if you have friends already in ontario, then get referals from them...
https://www.nairaland.com/1346880/giving-birth-canada/65

hope this helps..

Option 1 is out of the question if she's anything like me. Birthing in Nigeria scares the heck outta me. With all these rude nurses one encounters during antenatal classes. God forbid bad thing.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 6:42pm On Apr 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

No to worry.
First of all, Kids in Canada who attend French schools outside Quebec can't forget English given that they are growing up in an English environment. Just as your kids in Nigeria go to an English speaking school but they can still speak Igbo.

And second, the Catholic French First language Schools in Ontario are strictly French from Kindergarten up to grade 6 .
English is introduced after grade 6.
By the time the kids will be ready for high school, they will be fully bilingual.
They will be fluent in both French and English.
If you want to put your kids in a French school and that you have any concern in regard with "forgetting English", I will strongly advise you to discuss with the school. They will be able to alleviate your concern.
As for me, I will tell you not to worry because your Kids will never forget English unless you live in some parts of Quebec.

Please be advised that in some jurisdictions in order to put a child in a French school, there must be an adult in the child's household who speaks French. I know for a fact that it used to be like that for public schools in Toronto 15 years ago but I don't know if this has changed now.
Here in London you can put a child in a French First language Catholic school even when no one in your home speaks French.

Thanks for this.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 6:50pm On Apr 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

No to worry.
First of all, Kids in Canada who attend French schools outside Quebec can't forget English given that they are growing up in an English environment. Just as your kids in Nigeria go to an English speaking school but they can still speak Igbo.

And second, the Catholic French First language Schools in Ontario are strictly French from Kindergarten up to grade 6 .
English is introduced after grade 6.
By the time the kids will be ready for high school, they will be fully bilingual.
They will be fluent in both French and English.
If you want to put your kids in a French school and that you have any concern in regard with "forgetting English", I will strongly advise you to discuss with the school. They will be able to alleviate your concern.
As for me, I will tell you not to worry because your Kids will never forget English unless you live in some parts of Quebec.

Please be advised that in some jurisdictions in order to put a child in a French school, there must be an adult in the child's household who speaks French. I know for a fact that it used to be like that for public schools in Toronto 15 years ago but I don't know if this has changed now.
Here in London you can put a child in a French First language Catholic school even when no one in your home speaks French.

Thanks for this. I'm going to do my research for Ottawa.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blessedluvdfavd: 8:39pm On Apr 28, 2018
[quote author=TheCongo2 post=67083801]

Thanks for this detailed response TheCongo2 ,very much appreciated!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adewa1980: 9:21pm On Apr 28, 2018
[quote author=mamacajah post=67108101]@adewa1980, you have two choices,
1. If you don't have to land in canada in a hurry due to medical or passport expiration, give birth in nigeria, then send notification to CIC for the new addition. It would cost you much less than paying out of pocket

Thanks @mamacajah, i will look through the link you sent. Its quite a shame that our brethren have gone ahead to mar the road for others ���

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by elhey: 9:24pm On Apr 28, 2018
WoodcrestMayor:
How has it been baba?
Have you settled in now...job et al

Na only job remain oo. Got a couple of commission based jobs in this Edmonton tho but i no dey do.

And that drivers license P is hard jare. Hahaha. But will study and get it off my checklist soon.

If you gat pointers, biko epp me oo.

My email is topnotchspeaks@gmail.com.

I also just got schooled by one of my HR friends here on how to write a CV to get interviews. Its totally different from what i am used to.

Its crazy outchea mahn!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adewa1980: 9:27pm On Apr 28, 2018
Eesha:
Hello everyone. Please where can I possibly get palm leaves for moinmoin in the GTA.
PLEASE I just have to eat moinmoin elew crye. HELP!!!!!!!!

I can imagine i will get this way soon!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adewa1980: 9:34pm On Apr 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

You are asking about the cost, correct?
For the most part, citizens and permanent residents of Canada aren't familiar with the cost of giving birth in Canada. That is why I refer you to the other thread

Thanks @TheCongo2.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by elhey: 9:35pm On Apr 28, 2018
adewa1980:

I can imagine i will get this way soon!

Lmao. U people are too deep. Use nylon or plastic jare.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adewa1980: 9:43pm On Apr 28, 2018
Canadianfly:

Option 1 is out of the question if she's anything like me. Birthing in Nigeria scares the heck outta me. With all these rude nurses one encounters during antenatal classes. God forbid bad thing.

Im not in naija but the thought of being asked to bring my own razor blade just in case is sooo frightening.... Also those rude nurses eh... embarassed....”FORGOBID”

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

@ Bsbabe

Through my exchange with you, I have just discovered that there are two different Catholic school boards in London, Ontario.
The LDCSB (London Discrict Catholic School Board) is overseeing the English Catholic schools.

The LDCSB requests a baptismal certificate but the CSCP doesn't.

Thanks @TheCongo2
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:47pm On Apr 28, 2018
Canadianfly:
@ TheCongo2, didn't want to quote your long post about the benefits of a French Catholic school. I just have a question, do they also teach English in those schools or it's entirely French? Reason I ask is I'm concerned that my kids will forget English and just speak French and Igbo grin
When they return to Naija, wahala go dey grin

Please explain further. Thanks.

I had also wished we could have gone the French immersion path but my kids don old pass grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:08am On Apr 29, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eesha: 3:00am On Apr 29, 2018
grin grin grin
QSola:

Iz lyk you are prego
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by elhey: 3:15am On Apr 29, 2018
fabdee:
Are you moving to Alberta or already in Alberta and would like to be part of a whatsapp group specifically for peeps in Alberta? Kindly PM your whatsapp number to be added. Thank you.

Is the whatsapp group still alive? i 4 like join ooo. Abeg add me. Just moved to Alberta like 3 weeks ago.make i PM u?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 10:21am On Apr 29, 2018
Eesha:
Hello everyone. Please where can I possibly get palm leaves for moinmoin in the GTA.
PLEASE I just have to eat moinmoin elew crye. HELP!!!!!!!!

Although i cant answer your question but i'd like to learn. it would seem the palm leave is to be used as a wrap. do you mean it is possible to wrap moi moi in palm leaves/frond? how is that possible sef? I only knew banana leaves and the leaves of Thaumatococcus daniellii(the one yorubas call "ewe eran" ) as the traditional food wraps.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 10:36am On Apr 29, 2018
einsteino:

Although i cant answer your question but i'd like to learn. it would seem the palm leave is to be used as a wrap. do you mean it is possible to wrap moi moi in palm leaves/frond? how is that possible sef? I only knew banana leaves and the leaves of Thaumatococcus daniellii(the one yorubas call "ewe eran" ) as the traditional food wraps.

cheesy cheesy cheesy . Honestly, you're a case. Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kylexy61(m): 10:41am On Apr 29, 2018
Some pics to spice up the thread?

Anyone? wink cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 3:10pm On Apr 29, 2018
bbaby84:

cheesy cheesy cheesy . Honestly, you're a case. Lol

ehen na make i clear my ignorance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:17pm On Apr 29, 2018
kylexy61:
Some pics to spice up the thread?

Anyone? wink cheesy
Driving towards Downtown Calgary yesterday. Nice weather.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2018

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:32pm On Apr 29, 2018
More

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:37pm On Apr 29, 2018
Those are the few pics I snapped yesterday.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 3:40pm On Apr 29, 2018
Thank you Salford1.
If you see the soot-filled Port Harcourt skyline in the morning, you will pity us.
Please more pictures.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 4:13pm On Apr 29, 2018
honey86:

FYI, you will need to continue paying for ACCa membership to continue being a member of CPA.

My question is one kind abeg, make una no vex. So I am currently an FCCA and I've done the online course on overview of Canadian tax and law. Looking through the requirements for membership to CPA Ontario, it says "bachelors degree from a recognized university". I have an HND (albeit WES assessed) I just want to know if there's anyone that has been in my shoes and has received the designation. I have spoken to CPA Ontario (about transcripts), and they have no problem with WES sending that across. I am only asking for me to get reassured. Thanks in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gretop(m): 4:25pm On Apr 29, 2018
100 pages down, 178 pages to go. � undecided. See you after the next 100 pages

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 4:44pm On Apr 29, 2018
kachikapor:

My question is one kind abeg, make una no vex. So I am currently an FCCA and I've done the online course on overview of Canadian tax and law. Looking through the requirements for membership to CPA Ontario, it says "bachelors degree from a recognized university". I have an HND (albeit WES assessed) I just want to know if there's anyone that has been in my shoes and has received the designation. I have spoken to CPA Ontario (about transcripts), and they have no problem with WES sending that across. I am only asking for me to get reassured. Thanks in advance.

I'm actually at this stage with CPA BC. Got my school to send my transcript but it didn't have a statement saying they awarded a degree. CPA BC requested they send, by courier, a letter stating it explicitly. These guys can be very unreasonable atimes. I contacted CPA BC to find out if they would accept a report from WES, since I had done my ECA, and their answer was affirmative on the condition that it is sent directly by WES.

Unfortunately, WES requires me to initiate a new ECA for the purpose of certifications. WES conditions stipulates that each ECA can only be for one purpose. If you want a report for another purpose such as admission to university, certification etc, you have to initiate another ECA.

I'm still trying to follow up with my school to send the letter since it's cheaper than getting a new WES report.

So I advice you get WES to send a report. If you choose to go through your school, they will need to state categorically that they awarded you a degree, which I doubt they will state unless CPA Ontario are more lenient and understand HND is equivalent to degree.

For me, I just got AOR on Friday so I'm not exactly in a hurry.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 5:33pm On Apr 29, 2018
Mer Bleue bog

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wengerly(m): 8:54pm On Apr 29, 2018
Anyone coming to YYC anytime soon, I volunteer to pick you from the airport to your destination anywhere within Calgary. Free of Charge

Have a great week ahead.

46 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (276) (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.