Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979790 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kachikapor(m): 9:42pm On Apr 29, 2018
vascey:

I'm actually at this stage with CPA BC. Got my school to send my transcript but it didn't have a statement saying they awarded a degree. CPA BC requested they send, by courier, a letter stating it explicitly. These guys can be very unreasonable atimes. I contacted CPA BC to find out if they would accept a report from WES, since I had done my ECA, and their answer was affirmative on the condition that it is sent directly by WES.

Unfortunately, WES requires me to initiate a new ECA for the purpose of certifications. WES conditions stipulates that each ECA can only be for one purpose. If you want a report for another purpose such as admission to university, certification etc, you have to initiate another ECA.

I'm still trying to follow up with my school to send the letter since it's cheaper than getting a new WES report.

So I advice you get WES to send a report. If you choose to go through your school, they will need to state categorically that they awarded you a degree, which I doubt they will state unless CPA Ontario are more lenient and understand HND is equivalent to degree.

For me, I just got AOR on Friday so I'm not exactly in a hurry.

Thanks for your response. I have reached out to WES, and it will only cost CAD100 to request for a course-by-course evaluation from them. That for me is way better than going back to my school. Firstly, I have landed already. Secondly, it took me about 3 months to get the first transcript sent to WES for Express Entry. I no get that kind patience again. I will just go ahead and contact ACCA for the letter of good standing and WES for the Course-by-course evaluation sent directly to CPA.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 10:50pm On Apr 29, 2018
kachikapor:

Thanks for your response. I have reached out to WES, and it will only cost CAD100 to request for a course-by-course evaluation from them. That for me is way better than going back to my school. Firstly, I have landed already. Secondly, it took me about 3 months to get the first transcript sent to WES for Express Entry. I no get that kind patience again. I will just go ahead and contact ACCA for the letter of good standing and WES for the Course-by-course evaluation sent directly to CPA.
Great. 100 cad is not that bad.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eichie123(m): 4:09am On Apr 30, 2018
Hello friends how are you all doing and how is canada today hope you all are doing great, i just want to ask a question pls can some one use his TRV to get a job in canada if not how can someone with the visa go about in canada to get a job
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cuteguy201: 6:21am On Apr 30, 2018
Yaay!
wengerly:
Anyone coming to YYC anytime soon, I volunteer to pick you from the airport to your destination anywhere within Calgary. Free of Charge

Have a great week ahead.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Randomsue: 8:26am On Apr 30, 2018
salford1:
Those are the few pics I snapped yesterday.

Thank you @Salford1 for injecting much needed life into the thread with your pics.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nozzle(m): 8:50am On Apr 30, 2018
wengerly:
Anyone coming to YYC anytime soon, I volunteer to pick you from the airport to your destination anywhere within Calgary. Free of Charge

Have a great week ahead.
God bless you my brother
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 10:08am On Apr 30, 2018
adewa1980:
Hi eFamily, please i need some help from anyone that has the most up to date information. I and my partner got our COPR and our destination is Ontario because they sponsored us, i am pregnant and will be due in mid June by the grace of God. We want to give birth in Canada but the problem is that Ontario province has a three months waiting period to get the OHIP. My question is if anybody know how much is it to give birth in Ontario and if there is a cheaper option...

But I have "heard" that in Ontario they break the 3 months rule for exceptions and serious cases and pregnancy counts. I used quotation marks because I haven't experienced it personally. I only recently spoke to someone that claims that hers was expedited. She landed there (Ontario) last year pregnant, applied for OHIP and only had to wait the seven days for the card to be delivered. It may be good for you to verify this information and then if its true, just hold the money as a back up.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by anaxagoras: 10:19am On Apr 30, 2018
Hello e-fam, i am at IP1 and i am trying to research on the Cities close to Toronto where i can live as i have heard that living in Toronto cost a lot.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. I am considering this because i am an IT professional and i know that there are quite a number of IT jobs in Toronto.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 10:42am On Apr 30, 2018
geebaby10:
Hello. Please can someone assist with this situation.

I received PPR last week and my sent my passports to Accra this morning.

1. Hubby and I intend to arrive in Canada about 3 days to the expiry of our medicals. Is this too close to the deadline?

2. We plan to do a soft landing first. We intend to stay for only about a week in Toronto. Is this time enough for the post arrival procedures especially the application for our PR cards.

3. We intend to leave Toronto to America to birth our child. Will it be an issue that our baby is born after COPR and after our first landing but before our PR cards are issued? Is this something to declare? From what I understand, there's nothing to declare if it is after you arrive Canada for the first time. And I don't think it is a sin to be PR of Canada and go to America to deliver but I have heard some comments so please help.

4. By God's grace for our final landing next year, we would have had our PR cards with us. But our baby will have a US passport and Nigerian passport. How do we go about processing our baby's Canadian documents?

P.S. We have considered delivering in Canada but it will be more expensive and we do no have family to assist the way we do in the US. In the US, the doctor is family and we have free accommodation so basically we're paying just the hospital fees and we have loads of family in the same area to help out. In Canada, the medicals may be free but we will be paying for EVERYTHING else i.e. accommodation, food, moving around, and no family to help.

Also, we cannot declare change in family configuration until the child is born which will be after COPR, after our first landing and aafter our application for the PR cards but before our final landing.

Hello All.

I was the one with the post a few weeks ago. Again thank you all for the many responses that we got.

We have decided to have the baby in Canada. Specifically in Edmonton, Alberta because in Alberta thats where we know a family. Our friends there have even been kind enough to offer us free accommodation for the duration and we didn't even ask. Talk about lines falling in pleasant places.

We have spoken to a family that landed there pregnant last year and they have helped with info on how to get the health card immediately.

But I would like to get some information about getting a doctor on time. It's only about 6 weeks plus from my arrival to due date and I've heard that getting a gynae can takes MONTHS. Please for anyone that lives in Edmonton how can we get a doctor or even a mid-wife that can arrange a hospital birth on time?

Also, please can anybody refer us to a doctor or mid-wife in Edmonton?

Lastly please anyone in the Edmonton area I don't mind making new friends. I can send my Whatsapp number.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:19pm On Apr 30, 2018
geebaby10:

But I have "heard" that in Ontario they break the 3 months rule for exceptions and serious cases and pregnancy counts. I used quotation marks because I haven't experienced it personally. I only recently spoke to someone that claims that hers was expedited. She landed there (Ontario) last year pregnant, applied for OHIP and only had to wait the seven days for the card to be delivered. It may be good for you to verify this information and then if its true, just hold the money as a back up.

As far as I know, a new landed immigrant in Ontario would receive his OHIP card soon as he applies for one. But this card (coverage)will go into effect only after 90 days of the new immigrant's presence in Canada .

So if that person you spoke to did receive her OHIP card after 7 days of her presence in Canada, this may not mean her OHIP account was activated.

Nevertheless, as you suggested this information need to be verified
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 12:36pm On Apr 30, 2018
TheCongo2:

As far as I know, a new landed immigrant in Ontario would receive his OHIP card soon as he applies for one. But this card (coverage)will go into effect only after 90 days of the new immigrant's presence in Canada .

So if that person you spoke to did receive her OHIP card after 7 days of her presence in Canada, this may not mean her OHIP account was activated.

Well I'm not sure if everybody receives the card in 7 days. But according to her, she had her baby using her OHIP coverage and she had not stayed up to three months. This was in London, Ontario.

Nobody else knows anyone that has enjoyed this exception?

For me, it makes sense that exceptions are given. Proof of funds for a family of two is CAD16,000. Asking that family to pay about half of that to birth a baby when they're trying to settle in as residents is almost cruel because it is not birth tourism. They plan to stay and contribute to the economy. Well like I said it's worth verifying.

Maybe someone in Ontario can help call or stop by the registration point to confirm.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 2:36pm On Apr 30, 2018
geebaby10:

Hello All.

I was the one with the post a few weeks ago. Again thank you all for the many responses that we got.

Lastly please anyone in the Edmonton area I don't mind making new friends. I can send my Whatsapp number.

Hello, I sent you a PM. Please respond
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 2:59pm On Apr 30, 2018
geebaby10:

Hello All.

We have decided to have the baby in Canada. Specifically in Edmonton, Alberta because in Alberta thats where we know a family. Our friends there have even been kind enough to offer us free accommodation for the duration and we didn't even ask. Talk about lines falling in pleasant places.

We have spoken to a family that landed there pregnant last year and they have helped with info on how to get the health card immediately.

But I would like to get some information about getting a doctor on time. It's only about 6 weeks plus from my arrival to due date and I've heard that getting a gynae can takes MONTHS. Please for anyone that lives in Edmonton how can we get a doctor or even a mid-wife that can arrange a hospital birth on time?

Our experience for Calgary was quite straightforward.

Arrived in Calgary 6 weeks before the baby was due. Went to registry to sign up for health care and asked for the Alberta healthcare number immediately, so we had it written down while waiting for the card to arrive in the post within a week (I think it was actually just a couple of days later).

Went straight to sign up with a regular family doctor (walk-in) who immediately made the referral. Scans and tests were requested because the medical report from Nigeria was insufficient. The family doctor did a lot of the initial work. Called various hospitals & maternity clinics till he found one to take us straightaway. In fact, he referred us to the maternity clinic for the same day, and then called us in the evening to confirm we had seen the doctor. At the maternity clinic, they simply booked us in to see a doctor the following week.

Due to the proximity to the due date, at the maternity clinic, doctor asked that we schedule weekly visits. So after every appointment, we scheduled a follow up for the following week. Everything went smoothly, and honestly it was the best experience ever. If you're coming into Alberta, I doubt you will have much to worry about.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:43pm On Apr 30, 2018
Eichie123:
Hello friends how are you all doing and how is canada today hope you all are doing great, i just want to ask a question pls can some one use his TRV to get a job in canada if not how can someone with the visa go about in canada to get a job

Sorry but you cant work in Canada with a Temporary Resident Visa, it's a visit/tourist visa and no employer will give you a job since you don't have a Social Insurance Number. Unless you want to do undocumented, under-the-table, factory/farm work runs and if caught, it's deportation and ban on future visa applications.

You can follow the Nairaland thread on Express Entry for Skilled workers for guidance on how to get a PR visa with which you can work and live in Canada legally, https://www.nairaland.com/4472519/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 3:44pm On Apr 30, 2018
Beeea:

Hello, I sent you a PM. Please respond

Thank you for the message. I have responded.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by geebaby10: 3:48pm On Apr 30, 2018
A555:

Our experience for Calgary was quite straightforward.

Thanks for this. The doctor at the walk-in family clinic was really helpful. Are there any walk-in maternity clinics in Alberta? OR you have to be referred to one by a family clinic?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 4:54pm On Apr 30, 2018
geebaby10:

Thanks for this. The doctor at the walk-in family clinic was really helpful. Are there any walk-in maternity clinics in Alberta? OR you have to be referred to one by a family clinic?

I think that's how it usually works in most cities. At least I can speak for Winnipeg. I saw my family doctor at a walk in clinic during my time there until I left for the U.S to have the baby. Anyway I remember him telling me I see a family doctor until I'm 28 weeks and he would have to refer me to an OBgyn. My understanding is to get an Obgyn, you have to be referred by a family doctor and you can do that by going to a walk in clinic when you land. It's pretty straightforward after that.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:44pm On Apr 30, 2018
TheCongo2:

Not sure about this as Health cards just arrived for us today, exactly 3 months after we landed. We landed on 29th January and applied two days later.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wengerly(m): 6:07pm On Apr 30, 2018
Nozzle:

God bless you my brother

you can reach me on alagbaj@yahoo.com, I can't seem to open my NL DM.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 6:27pm On Apr 30, 2018
Bsbabe:

Not sure about this as Health cards just arrived for us today, exactly 3 months after we landed. We landed on 29th January and applied two days later.

Landing story we never see oh. Make una continue. During the pre PPR stage, una go dey disturb everyday. After una land, we no go hear any story from una again. angry

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 6:28pm On Apr 30, 2018
Bsbabe:

I just call Service Ontario at 1-800-268-1154 and spoke to Rihanna.
She says that a new immigrant can received the Health card before the 90 days mark but they can't use it until they have been in Ontario for 90 days. And there is no exception to the rule. However, if someone comes to Canada as a refugee, he will qualify for Heath care from the day he arrives in Canada under the government program.

Nevertheless, I am still interested in the case outlined by geebaby10.
From experience, I know that phone representatives who work for the government may not be as savvy.
They may tell you one thing while the reality on ground spells something different.
Some phone representatives may not be familiar with exceptional circumstances.
Therefore, I may need to make more calls to Service Ontario and speak to different representatives before coming up with a conclusion of whether or not a person can qualify for OHIP before the 90 days mark.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 6:33pm On Apr 30, 2018
TheCongo2:

Therefore, I may need to make more calls to Service Ontario and speak to different representatives before coming up with a conclusion of whether or not a person can qualify for OHIP before the 90 days mark.

Thank you TheCongo2. This will help a lot of people.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mamacajah: 6:52pm On Apr 30, 2018
geebaby10:

Hello All.

Praise the Lord, he always works things out for us. Good to hear this update.. I have tagged someone here who I am sure would love to keep you company...

@mummyjaygirls..someone needs your help here

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 30, 2018
Canadianfly:

Landing story we never see oh. Make una continue. During the pre PPR stage, una go dey disturb everyday. After una land, we no go hear any story from una again. angry

You sef know say I no dey in the disturb category fro pre-PPR and all my posts were to help provide answers to others’ questions as much as I could.

You dey find landing story? Landed at Toronto Pearson on a Monday morning 3 months ago. From there home to London Ontario. Dropped suitcases at home, stayed in hotel for a week while we were setting up the house, spent the week doing registrations and children started school following Monday. Hubby spends 3weeks and jets back to Lagos while Mummy stays on as homemaker. Tori don finish. Anything else?

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 30, 2018
TheCongo2:

I just call Service Ontario at 1-800-268-1154 and spoke to Rihanna.
She says that a new immigrant can received the Health card before the 90 days mark but they can't use it until they have been in Ontario for 90 days. And there is no exception to the rule. However, if someone comes to Canada as a refugee, he will qualify for Heath care from the day he arrives in Canada under the government program.

From experience, I know that phone representatives who work for the government may not be as savvy.
They may tell you one thing while the reality on ground spells something different.
Some phone representatives may not be familiar with exceptional circumstances.

I had cause to attend a clinic during the 3 months and I had to pay. They also took a photocopy of the healthcare registration document given by Service Ontario and they clarified that the 90 days had to be complete before you can have access to OHIP.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gretop(m): 11:57pm On Apr 30, 2018
200 pages down, 79 to go!!! A painful process but worth the effort. I already took lots of screenshots for future reference when the time comes. Thanks to everyone contributing. See you guys at the latest page. grin

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 12:57am On May 01, 2018
Majority of illegal migrants to Canada in 2018 are Nigerians with U.S. travel visas

OTTAWA – Canadian officials in Nigeria are working with the U.S. on developing tools to flag Nigerians applying for U.S. visas who may be at “high risk” of crossing illegally into Canada across the U.S. border.

So far this year, the majority of illegal migrants arriving in Canada are Nigerians who have recently been issued U.S. travel visas.

“It is apparent that they obtained those visas with the express intent to actually go to Canada,” said Hursh Jaswal, communications director for Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen.

“They land in the United States, where they stay for a very short period of time, and then make their way to Canada.”

That’s why Canada is now working with its American counterparts to try to stop Nigerian travellers to the United States from using their U.S. visas as a ticket to Canada – a practice Jaswal calls an “abuse of U.S. visas for the purpose of asylum.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4177786/migrants-nigeria-us-travel-visas/

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ayaade1: 7:28am On May 01, 2018
This is heart breaking.

Its going to be difficult for genuine travellers to get US visa.

TheCongo2:

Majority of illegal migrants to Canada in 2018 are Nigerians with U.S. travel visas

“It is apparent that they obtained those visas with the express intent to actually go to Canada,” said Hursh Jaswal, communications director for Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen.

“They land in the United States, where they stay for a very short period of time, and then make their way to Canada.”

That’s why Canada is now working with its American counterparts to try to stop Nigerian travellers to the United States from using their U.S. visas as a ticket to Canada – a practice Jaswal calls an “abuse of U.S. visas for the purpose of asylum.”

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daamazing(m): 8:05am On May 01, 2018
gretop:
200 pages down, 79 to go!!! A painful process but worth the effort. I already took lots of screenshots for future reference when the time comes. Thanks to everyone contributing. See you guys at the latest page. grin
Why the screenshots? will the thread get deleted?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by anaxagoras: 10:26am On May 01, 2018
daamazing:
Why the screenshots? will the thread get deleted?

for easy reference

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by daamazing(m): 10:39am On May 01, 2018
anaxagoras:

for easy reference
Oh, nice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KW01: 11:26am On May 01, 2018
daamazing:
Oh, nice.

I did that too in my pre ppr phase.

Landed seniors, please I need your advice, I am arriving in Calgary next month and I am sending some of my stuff through cargo. Can my load arrive in Calgary before me or do I have to land first before my things arrive? I know that we can bring in stuff duty free for one year, what am asking is whether I can send the things ahead of me before I land? It is more convenient for me that way but I don’t want to run foul of any laws.

Please help, thank you all.....

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.