Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:39 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (284) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979855 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 9:00am On May 07, 2018
zezebabyxoxo:
Hello house, this is a very informative thread. I intend on moving to Canada with my fiance but I'm quite worried about out job prospects since we both have Nigerian degrees and experience. I've learnt that does not hold much weight in Canada. He has 3 years audit experience in a big 4 audit firm. While I have just 1 year experience as a financial analyst. I'm planning on converting my ACCA certification to Canadian CPA. Please where would you advise us to settle and what strategies can we use to increase our prospects. Thank you.

I would advise Ontario, based on the large availability of jobs there, start ypur ACCA conversion immediately cos it can take a bit of time, Audit and Financial analyst jobs are quite easy to come by, check Linkedin and your will be shocked at the quantity.Finally, Pray for divine favour

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 9:20am On May 07, 2018
hayor2014:

I would advise Ontario, based on the large availability of jobs there, start ypur ACCA conversion immediately cos it can take a bit of time, Audit and Financial analyst jobs are quite easy to come by, check Linkedin and your will be shocked at the quantity.Finally, Pray for divine favour

Can you weigh in on the impact of this CPA certification? I have been on mine for a while but sometimes I am not sure it's going to pay off. Does it really translate to numbers or the kind of position you can get. Do you have an example of someone who got a better role after the conversion?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by happytbaby: 9:40am On May 07, 2018
Eees like I know this your friend....does she live in PH?

Virt:
Well, one has to make a decision. So far, there is no indication that the MRA with ACCA will be cancelled. I t

I made mention of a friend who is taking this path, she has few papers to go, she is currently in Canny for soft landing.

Let everyone do what they are convinced to do and what works for them.

I haven't written CPA exams before, but I heard it is hard to pass and also a more expensive venture than ACCA (Please verify this, it's just hear say).

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:15am On May 07, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 11:31am On May 07, 2018
vascey:

Can you weigh in on the impact of this CPA certification? I have been on mine for a while but sometimes I am not sure it's going to pay off. Does it really translate to numbers or the kind of position you can get. Do you have an example of someone who got a better role after the conversion?

I never reach Canada ooo, but from everything i have seen online, the Job pay, Job types, CPA is major deal, its like the key to the high paying jobs, an average of $70k per annum with you having CPA....its so painful that i cant get CPA with my ICAN certificate and all cash has been tied up in this Proof of Funds drama, i would have quickly done ACCA to ease my wahala. you can check INDEED.CA for salary of CPA
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vascey(m): 11:51am On May 07, 2018
hayor2014:

I never reach Canada ooo, but from everything i have seen online, the Job pay, Job types, CPA is major deal, its like the key to the high paying jobs, an average of $70k per annum with you having CPA....its so painful that i cant get CPA with my ICAN certificate and all cash has been tied up in this Proof of Funds drama, i would have quickly done ACCA to ease my wahala. you can check INDEED.CA for salary of CPA

Thank you. I had seen all that too but was interested in finding out if there are some true life examples especially for immigrants.
I do know that for a country with population of less than 40 million, they do have a lot of CPAs- about 130k. In comparison, ACCA has a global membership of about 200k chartered accountants.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Unlimited22: 12:03pm On May 07, 2018
Are there any software engineers/developers on this thread sef?
Make una talk na, let's know what's up. Biko nu.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:14pm On May 07, 2018
Unlimited22:
Are there any software engineers/developers on this thread sef?
Make una talk na, let's know what's up. Biko nu.
Yes there are.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Unlimited22: 12:19pm On May 07, 2018
AZeD1:

Yes there are.
Make una give us hope na... Salary, work conditions, job availability, certifications, etc.
Please na cry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 12:54pm On May 07, 2018
Unlimited22:

Make una give us hope na... Salary, work conditions, job availability, certifications, etc.
Please na cry
Getting the first job is always the hardest and might be frustrating.
Salary is ok/good/great depending on experience, company and personal preference.
Work conditions also differ by company but it tends to be positive for most. You can also look for remote jobs or jobs with flexible work hours.

For availability, I'd say there are lots of jobs for developers but experience and skills play a big factor in the availability.

I know for a fact that most software companies didn't want Amazon to choose a Canadian city for their 2nd HQ because it would drive wages up. Talking of Amazon, they are recruiting for their Seattle office (4 recruiters have reached out to me since December last year).

Certifications don't matter (90% of the time) in Software development. My employers know I went to school because it's on my resume so I could have lied and gotten away with it because no one has asked to see even a copy of my certificate.

LinkedIn and Twitter are good places to hear about job opportunities.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Unlimited22: 1:30pm On May 07, 2018
AZeD1:

Getting the first job is always the hardest and might be frustrating.
Salary is ok/good/great depending on experience, company and personal preference.
Work conditions also differ by company but it tends to be positive for most. You can also look for remote jobs or jobs with flexible work hours.

For availability, I'd say there are lots of jobs for developers but experience and skills play a big factor in the availability.

I know for a fact that most software companies didn't want Amazon to choose a Canadian city for their 2nd HQ because it would drive wages up. Talking of Amazon, they are recruiting for their Seattle office (4 recruiters have reached out to me since December last year).

Certifications don't matter (90% of the time) in Software development. My employers know I went to school because it's on my resume so I could have lied and gotten away with it because no one has asked to see even a copy of my certificate.

Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
Which languages do you feel are the most marketable to potential employers?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:17pm On May 07, 2018
Unlimited22:

Which languages do you feel are the most marketable to potential employers?
Java, javascript, PHP.

There are also availability for Python, Ruby and C# developers.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TEECANN: 2:27pm On May 07, 2018
AZeD1:

shocked shocked Like seriously at the bold part above?

Wouldn't have thought so by a long stretch. I don't actively do twitter anyways. So what do I know. cheesy

It will all end in praise IJN!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Unlimited22: 2:27pm On May 07, 2018
AZeD1:

Java, javascript, PHP.

There are also availability for Python, Ruby and C# developers.

Does this mean that HTML, CSS3, Bootstrap, node etc aren't worth the hassle?
Swift?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:35pm On May 07, 2018
Unlimited22:

Swift?

Node is Javascript on the server so I had it covered in the first post.

SWIFT is for IOS development so its worth it. One of the best advice i ever received was "Don't learn a programming language, learn to program" once you understand this, your career will take off.

HTML and CSS are for front end jobs but in my opinion, its something most people who have done any web development should know, so it doesn't count as a "big skill".

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 2:37pm On May 07, 2018
Unlimited22:

Swift?

It depends on the job requirements.

Like boss stated @AZeD1 stated above, those are the current requirements from most firms in Ottawa. And honestly, they are currently in vogue.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:38pm On May 07, 2018
TEECANN:

shocked shocked Like seriously at the bold part above?

Wouldn't have thought so by a long stretch. I don't actively do twitter anyways. So what do I know. cheesy

It will all end in praise IJN!
Lots of tech people advertise when their teams/company are recruiting. It's one sure way to at least get a human to view your cv.

I recently joined twitter just for that.

If you check my earlier post, I stated that I got my job via reddit. Lots of ways to get a job, just be open and willing to try. I always say whenever "No" is the worst that can happen with an opportunity, go for it. So any platform that can connect you to people is a potential recruiting platform.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Unlimited22: 3:13pm On May 07, 2018
maziude:

It depends on the job requirements.

Like boss stated @AZeD1 stated above, those are the current requirements from most firms in Ottawa. And honestly, they are currently in vogue.
AZeD1:

SWIFT is for IOS development so its worth it. One of the best advice i ever received was "Don't learn a programming language, learn to program" once you understand this, your career will take off.

HTML and CSS are for front end jobs but in my opinion, its something most people who have done any web development should know, so it doesn't count as a "big skill".
Thanks bosses. I'm not a developer yet, at least in practical terms. I'm looking at three courses on udemy.com concurrently (Python/PHP, Swift and one called 'The Complete Web Developer in 2018 involving Javascript, HTML, CSS3 and others) and when I'm done with optometry school here this year, in my internship year 2019 I am going to start the online BS in CS program from Athabasca University.
How una see am? Any advice for me?
Maziude, AZeD1, help, please?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:51pm On May 07, 2018
AZeD1:

SWIFT is for IOS development so its worth it. One of the best advice i ever received was " Don't learn a programming language, learn to program " once you understand this, your career will take off.

I am confused about the bolded. How can one learn to program without learning a programming language?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 5:15pm On May 07, 2018
good day house, any food scientist, microbiologist, technologist or food quality control analyst in the house.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 5:16pm On May 07, 2018
good day house, any food scientist, microbiologist, technologist or food quality control analyst in the house?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dudujomi: 5:26pm On May 07, 2018
Please, I would like to know if its easy for a public health professional to get job easily. I'm considering nursing after landing though.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 6:18pm On May 07, 2018
dudujomi:
Please, I would like to know if its easy for a public health professional to get job easily. I'm considering nursing after landing though.

Maybe, maybe not.

The truth is nobody has an idea. Everything here is an opinion especially with respect to jobs. The answer to this question is not in black and white.

When you land, you will see the situation on ground and proceed from there.

Prepare your mind, work hard and hope for the best.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by unyted(m): 6:32pm On May 07, 2018
You will most likely require to do some certifications before you can practice in Canada. Just research
dudujomi:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 07, 2018
Newbeecey:
Lol @anything else? Please I am a little worried about coping with kids alone without the hubs and working too. How has that worked for you so far (are you working/have plans to work anytime soon?)

I believe you will do just fine, don’t worry. However mine are older and can take care of themselves so I can’t speak to how to cope with much younger children or toddlers. If you can however persist in prayers for God to change your husband’s mind, it will be good too. I recall those first three weeks of settling in, I was glad I had my husband with me to help. One day, we had some items delivered and we asked them to drop them in the garage. The people to instal came the next day and said their liability did not cover taking them upstairs to the rooms where they should be installed and that the delivery guys should have done that. We said everything but they didn’t budge. My husband and I had to carry those items to the respective rooms. If na only me, I will just sit down on the floor and start crying grin

And no, I do it have plans to work yet.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tbaby2015: 8:43pm On May 07, 2018
testing
DonroxyII:
My brother, In Accounting, there is always need to conduct Cost-Benefit analysis in order to Justify an endeavour , so if the benefit outweigh the cost, why not ? cheesy ....

Will I also be paying CPA membership/subscription fee too ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boldinc(m): 8:49pm On May 07, 2018
It's similar to learning graphic design and not exactly how to use Corel, Photoshop nor illustrator individually... Same could apply to web development and other fields...

TheCongo2:

I am confused about the bolded. How can one learn to program without learning a programming language?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:03pm On May 07, 2018
Bsbabe:

I believe you will do just fine, don’t worry. However mine are older and can take care of themselves so I can’t speak to how to cope with much younger children or toddlers. If you can however persist in prayers for God to change your husband’s mind, it will be good too. I recall those first three weeks of settling in, I was glad I had my husband with me to help. One day, we had some items delivered and we asked them to drop them in the garage. The people to instal came the next day and said their liability did not cover taking them upstairs to the rooms where they should be installed and that the delivery guys should have done that. We said everything but they didn’t budge. My husband and I had to carry those items to the respective rooms. If na only me, I will just sit down on the floor and start crying grin

And no, I do it have plans to work yet.

Lmao @ sit down and start crying cheesy

Biko how did yall get a rented accommodation prior to landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 07, 2018
Canadianfly:

Lmao @ sit down and start crying cheesy

Biko how did yall get a rented accommodation prior to landing?

My dear, na God o (and before anyone starts with Nigerians and their God, yes na my God as He gave me favour). I could have done everything right but still not achieve what I set out to. So to the steps I took, I narrowed my search using all the realtor sites to the specific area we wanted based on schools (I used Fraser rankings and other review sites for schools). I downloaded the school boundary maps from the District Board website and looked for homes within the area. When I find any which matches our requirements, I crosscheck on BusPlanner.web to see if it is walking distance to the school or they would be eligible for school bus (I preferred school bus because I didn’t want Canadian winter walking wahala). Based on these criteria, I came up with a shortlist and sent to my friend in Canada to engage with agents. We were upfront that we didn’t have credit history but were willing to pay a few months deposit. Most didn’t speak to him again after he mentioned ‘about to land’ and ‘immigrants’.

One eventually came through, asked for our resumes and guarantors in Canada. After he spoke with the guarantors, he then introduced us to the landlord and they made us jump through hoops but we were determined not to land and start looking for accommodation. Their terms were one year lease, payment of four months in advance (representing the last four months of the lease) and confirmation of home insurance and registering for utilities - hydro and gas. We agreed and we finalised agreements electronically. So the agent was waiting to deliver the key when we arrived.

53 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 11:32pm On May 07, 2018
Bsbabe:

My dear, na God o (and before anyone starts with Nigerians and their God, yes na my God as He gave me favour). I could have done everything right but still not achieve what I set out to. So to the steps I took, I narrowed my search using all the realtor sites to the specific area we wanted based on schools (I used Fraser rankings and other review sites for schools). I downloaded the school boundary maps from the District Board website and looked for homes within the area. When I find any which matches our requirements, I crosscheck on BusPlanner.web to see if it is walking distance to the school or they would be eligible for school bus (I preferred school bus because I didn’t want Canadian winter walking wahala). Based on these criteria, I came up with a shortlist and sent to my friend in Canada to engage with agents. We were upfront that we didn’t have credit history but were willing to pay a few months deposit. Most didn’t speak to him again after he mentioned ‘about to land’ and ‘immigrants’.

One eventually came through, asked for our resumes and guarantors in Canada. After he spoke with the guarantors, he then introduced us to the landlord and they made us jump through hoops but we were determined not to land and start looking for accommodation. Their terms were one year lease, payment of four months in advance (representing the last four months of the lease) and confirmation of home insurance and registering for utilities - hydro and gas. We agreed and we finalised agreements electronically. So the agent was waiting to deliver the key when we arrived.

Wow!!

You weren't playing oh. I admire your persistence. Thanks for the pointers, I already screenshot the post. For future reference.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 07, 2018
Canadianfly:

Wow!!

You weren't playing oh. I admire your persistence. Thanks for the pointers, I already screenshot the post. For future reference.

My dear, anything that involves an opportunity to improve my children’s chances in life, I no dey take am joke. So this Canadian journey was treated as a serious project with me as PM grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.