Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (296) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979691 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kazchick(f): 5:31am On May 27, 2018
Hello Everyone,
Pls I need honest advice. I have been planning to land at the GT due to Job opportunities in about a month. Done my research and all that However, my baby has a medical condition which would not be covered under the travel insurance in the GTA if there are any emergencies while waiting for the 3 months to apply for health card, hence I am tending to think of landing at Edmonton. Edmonton is also considered due to the cost of living as compared to the GTA.

Pls what can I do? Do I land in GTA? Putting food on the table is also important to me but the health of my child is also key as I do not want to take chances. Any additional reasons to make me stay Edmonton look more attractive is appreciated too.

Also, any pointers on safe areas to stay, how to settle in Edmonton with post arrival agencies can also be appreciated so I can read up on it just in case I am settling there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iPopAlomo(m): 6:15am On May 27, 2018
maternal:

Sponsoring a nanny from your home country can be hard. Canada has an aging population, as a result anything in the healthcare industry is in big demand. Psw, nurse, etc. Most Canadian will not be caregivers, taking care of people's needs or changing old people's diapers. Lastly the caregivers are skilled workers from the Philippines. They take a 1 year intense course which costs alot. Then go through a background check, etc before coming here. These aren't anybody coming to Canada. Caregivers getting PR is understandable. A barbar ? A monkey can do that job.

Sorry... have you attempted cutting hair before...?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:02am On May 27, 2018
iPopAlomo:

Haba cutting hair is not that hard now. There are lots of wives that now cut their husbands hair since arriving in Canada.

A clipper and trimmer (detailer) from walmart would easily get the job done.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 7:16am On May 27, 2018
kazchick:
Hello Everyone,
Pls I need honest advice. I have been planning to land at the GT due to Job opportunities in about a month. Done my research and all that However, my baby has a medical condition which would not be covered under the travel insurance in the GTA if there are any emergencies while waiting for the 3 months to apply for health card, hence I am tending to think of landing at Edmonton. Edmonton is also considered due to the cost of living as compared to the GTA.

Pls what can I do? Do I land in GTA? Putting food on the table is also important to me but the health of my child is also key as I do not want to take chances. Any additional reasons to make me stay Edmonton look more attractive is appreciated too.

Also, any pointers on safe areas to stay, how to settle in Edmonton with post arrival agencies can also be appreciated so I can read up on it just in case I am settling there.

There are different agencies that help newcomers in Edmonton. Please visit http://www.bredin.ca for more information. They help with settling down, childcare information, licensure exams etc. http://www.bredin.ca/edmonton-programs-and-services

For where to live, based on personal experience, you may want to look at apartments close to the Clareview LRT station. There are lots of shopping around and it is great for commuting whether you have a car or not. After settling down, you may then look at other areas of the city to live based on your needs or preferences. The emergency health centre is just across the road from this location.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-2-bedroom-apartments-condos/edmonton/2-bedroom-apartment-clareview-station-drive/1355886932?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The above link is an example. I just grabbed the link from kijiji and have no affiliation with the owner. Please do your own due diligence.

If you have any other specific question, you may ask and other Edmontonians will be able to help
@Fusion23
@Mummyjaygirls
@etc

32 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:42am On May 27, 2018
This guy speaks the truth in 6 minutes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlixaLG13hc

25 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iPopAlomo(m): 9:15am On May 27, 2018
salford1:

Haba cutting hair is not that hard now. There are lots of wives that now cut their husbands hair since arriving in Canada.

Punk or low cut...

applying fades and friction...

baba... make we did the matter...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:33am On May 27, 2018
iPopAlomo:

Punk or low cut...

applying fades and friction...

baba... make we did the matter...
Using myself as an example.
My spouse cuts my hair low cut with nice friction using the trimmer since the oyinbo ones are always scared of applying friction. I am past the age of punk, but my kids still get styled punk with step layers (fade) by their mum. We live in an area where a black hair barber is almost 40min drive away. While she was not perfect at it initially, it took less than a year for her to get it right.

While barbing is a trade in some provinces in Canada, it is voluntary in some other meaning you don't even need a certificate or apprenticeship to qualify as a barber. There is nothing technical about barbing.

One can make good money out of it though as I wait atleast an hour if I walk into a black hair salon without an appointment..

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MysteryBud: 9:57am On May 27, 2018
Hi Adeballer, please I need to get in touch with you. It’s very urgent. (This is not about FRSC letter).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:04am On May 27, 2018
XX01:

This must be a long time ago.
One can't tell. It might not be that long. I am no immigration expert, but people get PR through different means. An indian friend of mine got his provincial PR two years ago via Dairy Queen. The only difference with the Jamaican barber was that the indian guy was already in the country on a work permit (post study visa), and he had to serve DQ in a small city for 2 years prior to the sponsorship.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 12:59pm On May 27, 2018
I was asked if I had my PoF and I told the Officer that I had the document I used to apply as PR and he said ok. That was it.

cutezain:
Good morning everyone,

I am back with more questions.
I understand that the point of entry I must show my passport, COPR,proof of funds, list of house hold items I brought along and would be expecting.
Now my question, this proof of funds, is it still my bank statements?
I know I would definitely carry some cash, must it be Canadian dollars or American dollars wot do you think.
How do I show proof of funds basically

Then any one in Manitoba (Winnipeg or Brandon) please Dm me.

Thank you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nogen: 1:25pm On May 27, 2018
I barb my son's hair and I plait my daughters' hair too. Nice hair cut and beautiful braids for that matter. Never done those until I came to Canada. In Lagos, I would take them to Downtown salon but here, no way, spending dollars on hair cut and braids? No way, I became an expert overnight.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blessedluvdfavd: 8:57pm On May 27, 2018
There are barbers...

And there are barberrrrrrrs

Just saying smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iPopAlomo(m): 9:43pm On May 27, 2018
Blessedluvdfavd:
There are barbers...
.... And there are barberrrrrrrs
Just saying smiley

Thank you sir...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 9:54pm On May 27, 2018
Lolsss, but how many people carry such hair cuts on the regular?

[Qquote author=Blessedluvdfavd post=67938315]There are barbers...

And there are barberrrrrrrs

Just saying smiley
[/quote]

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 11:04pm On May 27, 2018
salford1:

True. My first haircut here was done by my wife who had never handled clipper before. Every other one after that has been me and I have no prior experience on cutting hair grin. Tho if I was a professional barber I'd take serious offense with @maternal for that phrase grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:04am On May 28, 2018
freeradical:
True. My first haircut here was done by my wife who had never handled clipper before. Every other one after that has been me and I have no prior experience on cutting hair grin. Tho if I was a professional barber I'd take serious offense with @maternal for that phrase grin

grin grin grin True talk. Barbers and hairstylist are professionals in their own rights too. God bless their hustle.

The ones I know set up shops where there lots of immigrants. Imagine cutting an average of 20 hair per day at $20 to $25. Using a 24 days month, that is over $10k gross.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by freeradical(m): 12:16am On May 28, 2018
salford1:

grin grin grin True talk. Barbers and hairstylist are professionals in their own rights too. God bless their hustle.

The ones I know set up shops where there lots of immigrants. Imagine cutting an average of 20 hair per day at $20 to $25. Using a 24 days month, that is over $10k gross.
Na to go find shop oo grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 12:20am On May 28, 2018
iPopAlomo:

That's irrelevant. What is style or what looks good is subjective. It's like professional stylists. Who's to say their style is better pass others ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:30am On May 28, 2018

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shadetwins: 9:47am On May 28, 2018
vcole:
Hello shadetwins and other expectant-soon-to-land PRs.

I really don't know if I have the best answers. I haven't bought a lotta kids clothes since I got here cos I got lots of clothes as gifts. Also, you don't need to buy in bulk cos the season would change and your baby may wind up not wearing most of em. However, stores I would recommend, in no particular order are Walmart, Joe fresh (superstore), Gymboree, Winners, Marshalls, Baby Gap, The Children's Place.

There are also thrift stores like onceuponachild, online forums where people sell and resell like varagesale app or facebook communities.

Clothes are cheaper in Toronto (or so I hear) and are cheaper in the states.

Thank you soo much and God bless.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by overcomer296: 9:52am On May 28, 2018
Hello all, pls how easy is it to become a teacher in Canada. Has anybody qualified for this here? I have 11 years banking experience. Bsc English language, masters in media arts. But i want to switch career. My colleague here in naija said Canadian govt can never allow an immigrant become a teacher to their children.
I doubt this.

If it's possible, what are the processes? How long will it take and what can it cost. Thanks a lot for your anticipated comments

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 12:03pm On May 28, 2018
Hello goodmorning y'all

What are the disadvantages landing in canada (toronto) in november? Will it be difficult finding accommodation,jobs and settling generally? Please i need your experienced inputs...thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 1:19pm On May 28, 2018
overcomer296:
Hello all, pls how easy is it to become a teacher in Canada. Has anybody qualified for this here? I have 11 years banking experience. Bsc English language, masters in media arts. But i want to switch career. My colleague here in naija said Canadian govt can never allow an immigration become a teacher to their children.
I doubt this.

If it's possible, what are the processes? How long will it take and what can it cost. Thanks a lot for your anticipated comments

Completely untrue.

Yes you can work as a teacher in Canada.
As a matter of fact, if you were bilingual ( English and French), I was strongly going to suggest you to come to Ontario. There is a shortage of bilingual teachers in the province.

With any degree from any where in the world, you will have to go for a cerificate before they give you the job.
London, Ontario, is a mostly white city. But there is an increasing numbers of African teachers in the city.

If you can't speak French, you can still get a teaching job. I know of a court case involving a Nigerian who graduated in Nigeria and was a teacher in Toronto. The dude was fired because he was trying to get romantically involved with a 16 years old student which goes against the ethics. After he got fired, he sued the school board in the Ontario Human Right Tribunal on the ground of discrimination and racism. He believed if he were white they weren't going to fire him but instead would have given him a warning. Smh ... He lost the case.
As any court case, this case has since become a public record which includes the messages he exchanged with the girl. So, be very careful with the things you do in the dark given that one day they may be broadcasted to the entire world.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 2:21pm On May 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

Completely untruth.

Yes you can work as a teacher in Canada.
As a matter of fact, if you were bilingual ( English and French), I was going to advise you to come to Ontario. There is a shortage of bilingual teachers in the province.

With any degree from any where in the world, you will have to go for a cerificate before they give you the job.
London, Ontario, is a mostly white city. But there is an increasing numbers of African teachers in the city.

If you can't speak French, you can still get a teaching job. I know of a court case involving a Nigerian who graduated in Nigeria and was a teacher in Toronto. The dude was fired because he was trying to get romantically involved with a 16 years old student which goes against the ethics. After he got fired, he sued the school board in the Ontario Human Right on the ground of discrimination and racism. He believed if he was white they weren't going to fire him but instead would have given him a warning. Smh ... He lost the case.
This case has since become a public record as any other court case. So, be very careful with the things you do in the dark given that one day they may be broadcasted to the entire world.

lol the guy urgently needs to reduce his dosage of vodka.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:45pm On May 28, 2018
einsteino:

More damaging was the fact that he was accused for sexual harassment by a female teacher couple years earlier ...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 3:51pm On May 28, 2018
einsteino:

grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ambidextrause: 4:47pm On May 28, 2018
Aiye le, ibosi ooo ...

TheCongo2:

More damaging was the fact that he was accused for sexual harassment by a female teacher couple years earlier ...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ejadike(m): 4:48pm On May 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

When I first read your comments, my first intention was to get a voice recorder to go around the City and let Londoners address your concern. But, then I realized I wasn't going to be able to upload the voice file on nairaland.

The person who told you that London is filled with Hispanics and very low class immigrants didn't paint the correct picture of London to you. London is by far what that person had described to you.

First of all, Canada is not the States. You will never find a congestion of Hispanic immigrants anywhere in Canada like you would in the States.
Do you know that Mexicans don't need a visa to enter Canada? Nevertheless, a lot of Mexicans would prefer going through the trouble of risking their lives by paying thousands dollars to smugglers to cross the US border illegally or to jump the wall between US and Mexico all for the sake of living in the United States. For reasons known only to Mexicans, they don't want to come to Canada where a visa isn't a requirement to them. And a trip to Canada by plane would be safer and cheaper to a Mexican than paying smuggler to enter the States illegally. I don't think there is any place in Canada where you can hear the Hispanic language on an ongoing basis unless you go to a Hispanic Church or involved with Hispanic people . I never heard Spanish on the streets of London from random people.

If someone told you that he had seen so many Hispanics and very low class immigrants in London, Ontario, I can only see one thing: This person was staying at a homeless shelter in London. The homeless shelter is the only place that would fit the description of the London that was painted in your post. Not only the shelter is the place you would meet many new comers (mostly refugees or asylum seekers) who are trying to settle in London or in Canada but also Canadians who for one reason or another had lost everything and are trying to get back on their feet.

Anyone who has full time employment in London, regardless of the job type, would be aware that the work force in London is mostly made of white. You were given an incorrect picture of London by someone I strongly suspect had never got involved into the fabric of live that makes the City of London. A colleague friend of mine who is French Canadian (white) had always complaint to me that London is the first city she had ever lived in that is so full of white people. She is used to diversity. She was born in Montreal and had lived in a numerous cities in Canada and in Bordeaux, France. According to her, London has the highest density of white population per square inch in Canada.

London, Ontario, is the only place where I have seen African immigrant single mothers purchase their first homes. I went to school in New York City, I had been to Montreal, Toronto and it is close to impossible to see a single black mother purchase her home in those cities. In London, Ontario, I didn't see just 1 but a good number of them. As a matter of fact, almost everyone I know who had moved here had been able to purchase their first home.

By the way, where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Evening Chief... Please, what kinda job can an immigrant readily get in London?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 5:00pm On May 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

shocked it is a habbit then. What annoys me is that his likes denigrates the fight for racial equality and make it seem as though it is just a cover used by blacks when they can't get things by merit or are punished for bad behavior.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:06pm On May 28, 2018
Ejadike:
Evening Chief... Please, what kinda job can an immigrant readily get in London?
I like this new title...

Chief Congo grin

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Mizwisdom(f): 5:56pm On May 28, 2018
TheCongo2:

My guy, permit me to ask which kind of work are you doing that affords you so much time to comment so often? Another question is must someone be bilingual to teach in Canada especially when one has no interest whatsoever in speaking or learning French?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Muchaio(m): 6:32pm On May 28, 2018
On the issue of barbers ehn, na so I enter barbershop, cut hair o. Tell them make dem shave and trim my biabia sef. I finish, bill was $28. Apparently biabia money different from haircut money. As i reach house na him i tell my wife, nne, you must learn barbing by force o.
The haircut sef no fine reach my N500 haircut for Yaba.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.