Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,332 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (303) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979519 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rs172(m): 1:07pm On Jun 04, 2018
enocoded4life:

Sorry, but I didn't get your pm. Send me a mail at enocoded4life@yahoo.com

Thanks, i've sent a message.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 2:52pm On Jun 04, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rhemagrace(f): 3:15pm On Jun 04, 2018
Wow! Finally got here from page 0. Thanks to the contributors for the immense knowledge shared. @blackbuddy @adeballerz @thecongo2 @fusion23 @maternal e.t.c you people are amazing. God bless our Canadian journey.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 3:39pm On Jun 04, 2018
On the issue of benefits

There are some benefits that are general and based on income e.g CCB Child Care Benefits , GST/HST credits that will not affect your ability to invite or sponsor family members to become permanent residents of Canada. However, there are some other government money that if you receive, you may not be able to e.g.welfare/social assistance.
Please ensure that that special benefit/government money that you want to receive will not prevent you from sponsoring parents, spouses or children to become permanent residents in the future.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship.html

17 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eriwughosa: 4:32pm On Jun 04, 2018
Greetings everyone,

I have been a silent follower of this thread. Please, I have a question.

I already have a profile in the Canada Express entry. Can my Cousin resident in Winnipeg sponsor my application from Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cscd1234: 7:41pm On Jun 04, 2018
maziude:

Peace
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Asinkwa(f): 12:02am On Jun 05, 2018
I cargoed 275kg at N340,000 (total cost). It included clothing, household appliances, shoes and foodstuff. My cargo came in with Airfrance.
If you are in Lagos, you can go to NAHCO at International airport and get quotes from different agents. However, I was referred to the agent I used, and I can say that he 'get mouth'. On our way to drop the cargo off, policemen at the entrance said they wanted to inspect the things, we just called the agent, he spoke with the policemen and they let us go through immediately.
I am not sure if putting his number here is deemed advertising, so you can dm me for it.

Akingsqueen:
Pheeew! Finally! �.
Thanks a lot as I patiently wait.

23 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mimik2: 12:13am On Jun 05, 2018
Hello House, please I need your opinion. My CRS score is 430 and I'm thinking of applying for EE with spouse un-accompanying to boast my score.
My question is this, how easy is it to file for spouse once I get to Canada? Also is the one year processing time-line feasible? What can help fast track the processing upon landing in Canada?
Elders in the house, please your help is needed. Thanks.
@blackbuddy @vcole @salford1 @salford @maternal @all
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 3:19am On Jun 05, 2018
mimik2:
Hello House, please I need your opinion. My CRS score is 430 and I'm thinking of applying for EE with spouse un-accompanying to boast my score.
My question is this, how easy is it to file for spouse once I get to Canada? Also is the one year processing time-line feasible? What can help fast track the processing upon landing in Canada?

Please see link below for information on how to sponsor your spouse

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

As your application will be processed in Accra, below is another link of people's experiences with Accra VO with regards to spousal sponsorship.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/thread-for-acrra-ghana-applicants.64640/page-1081

Hope this helps

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 4:55am On Jun 05, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Hi MummyJaygirls,
I see you are in Edmonton. My family and I will be landing in September. I need to sort accommodation before landing. Can you please advise on how to go about it and possibly link me up with a real estate agent.
Also, which area is safe and better to live with family?
Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late response, it’s best u send me a mail for enquiries. I respond a little faster via mail

I don’t have any realtors contact but u can search all dem rentfaster, kijiji and if u know someone around, they can help u look it up and pay if u like it.

For me I like South, SouthWest, SouthEast, West and some new upcoming areas in d north side

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 5:19am On Jun 05, 2018
Akingsqueen:
I have another question as regards cargo to Canada. How is it done? About how much does it cost? Are they efficient? Are there any restrictions as to what can be sent through them? Can someone who used them give me contact of the ones he/she used.
Thanks in advance.

There are agents that cargo stuff. It’s usually cheaper from 100kg and above. You can cargo anything except meat and fowl products. If found by CBSA they will trash it

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 6:57am On Jun 05, 2018
mimik2:

You're looking at at least 1 year of being away from your spouse. Spousal application is a brutal process. There's no way to fast track it. An option could be your wife getting a trv and y'all file inland.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 9:13am On Jun 05, 2018
Thanks a lot for your response.
I am more than grateful.
I have been looking online but i was advised that its better to have someone on ground check out the home before making payment. That's why I asked for the contact of a realtor.

So I will just concentrate on the South area.

If you by chance come across any rent advert in these areas by chance kindly let me know too.

Thanks a lot.

MummyJaygirls:

Sorry for the late response, it’s best u send me a mail for enquiries. I respond a little faster via mail

I don’t have any realtors contact but u can search all dem rentfaster, kijiji and if u know someone around, they can help u look it up and pay if u like it.

For me I like South, SouthWest, SouthEast, West and some new upcoming areas in d north side
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:14am On Jun 05, 2018
Wura27:

You're too much! I'm sure targeting the Big 4.

Thanks very much wink

Wura27:

Hi guys,

Long time no chat. Some of you might remember this my post below.... Anyway long story short, I got precisely what I was targeting barely 2 months after I arrived in Canada. No Canadian experience or education at all! I did not even apply, they found me on LinkedIn, sent me a message and the application process went on from there.

I got two graduate jobs on the same day but I chose the one that pays far less because it had been my target since I was in Naija and I know it would make far more sense in my resume when i decide to move in the near future.

This is just to motivate someone who might be feeling down about job search or thinking he has to compromise and do something he doesn’t want to. No, you don’t have to if u don’t want to! Have a plan and stick to that plan whilst also trying to improve yourself.

Maybe some other time I can write full gist on the interview process, how I was improving myself when I arrived, my preparation methods, etc.

Wish you all the very best!

I somehow missed this post by wura. To those recently landing/landed and those looking for good jobs, especially with background in Finance, IT, Audit e.t.c

You might want to beam your searchlight on the big 4 as a quick check on the career pages returns a lot of job posting. Just a quick look on pwc career sight for example shows over 200 jobs which I am sure alot of Nigerians would qualify for.

Goodluck guys.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 9:15am On Jun 05, 2018
Thanks a lot for this information.
I am very grateful.

MummyJaygirls:

There are agents that cargo stuff. It’s usually cheaper from 100kg and above. You can cargo anything except meat and fowl products. If found by CBSA they will trash it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 9:18am On Jun 05, 2018
Thanks a lot.
This is quite helpful.
I will like to go with your own agent.
Let me DM you right away.

Asinkwa:
I cargoed 275kg at N340,000 (total cost). It included clothing, household appliances, shoes and foodstuff. My cargo came in with Airfrance.
If you are in Lagos, you can go to NAHCO at International airport and get quotes from different agents. However, I was referred to the agent I used, and I can say that he 'get mouth'. On our way to drop the cargo off, policemen at the entrance said they wanted to inspect the things, we just called the agent, he spoke with the policemen and they let us go through immediately.
I am not sure if putting his number here is deemed advertising, so you can dm me for it.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by caseynewnn: 1:21pm On Jun 05, 2018
honey86 pls I would like to know if there are bridging programs in accounting in Winnipeg.I just recently landed n need to check them out if there are any.cheers

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yungreezy: 1:25pm On Jun 05, 2018
Wura27:

Hi guys,

Long time no chat. Some of you might remember this my post below.... Anyway long story short, I got precisely what I was targeting barely 2 months after I arrived in Canada. No Canadian experience or education at all! I did not even apply, they found me on LinkedIn, sent me a message and the application process went on from there.

I got two graduate jobs on the same day but I chose the one that pays far less because it had been my target since I was in Naija and I know it would make far more sense in my resume when i decide to move in the near future.

This is just to motivate someone who might be feeling down about job search or thinking he has to compromise and do something he doesn’t want to. No, you don’t have to if u don’t want to! Have a plan and stick to that plan whilst also trying to improve yourself.

Maybe some other time I can write full gist on the interview process, how I was improving myself when I arrived, my preparation methods, etc.

Wish you all the very best!

Would also be nice to share the full gist with us. Busy schedule now I know. But it would be nice to have this insight ..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dfash2000: 3:27pm On Jun 05, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Hello everyone.
Abeg my good people of Edmonton, help a sister out. We will be landing in September and would prefer to have a house upon landing.
Now my concern is that we all know that in every city, there's the good place to live and the bad (not so safe) areas.
Can someone guide me on the good areas or communities to search and reason. I have heard that the South East and South West area are good and safe enough.
We want a decent, accessible and safe area good to raise our kids.

Also, if you have any contact of a real estate agent, kindly hook me up.

Thanks all in advance.
I know someone that is a realtor in Edmonton.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 4:54pm On Jun 05, 2018
Oh you do?
Kindly hook me up.
I will send you a mail now for his contact.
I hope he will permit communication on whatsapp.

Thanks for your response.

dfash2000:

I know someone that is a realtor in Edmonton.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dfash2000: 6:07pm On Jun 05, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Oh you do?
Kindly hook me up.
I will send you a mail now for his contact.
I hope he will permit communication on whatsapp.

Thanks for your response.

I replied check your message
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:27pm On Jun 05, 2018
On the issue of invitations and sponsorships, I may be wrong but the ability to sponsor a spouse or relative as a PR is contingent on not receiving social assistance aka welfare at the time (or within 1yr) of the application.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
fabdee:
Are you moving to Alberta or already in Alberta and would like to be part of a whatsapp group specifically for peeps in Alberta? Kindly PM your whatsapp number to be added. Thank you.

Hi, are there Whatsapp groups for Toronto too?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hustler(m): 2:26am On Jun 06, 2018
Arrived Calgary, Alberta early last month. Just wanted to share my quick settlement story. Weather has been relatively great. Got registered with Immigration centres and have received tremendous help there. Got a 2 bedroom apartment in the NW area for 1,300 which is ok. A friend helped me with securing that and I did not have to make payment for 3 or 6 months in advance. Just a refundable security deposit and first month rent. Like most have mentioned previously here, you will need a vehicle especially in the NW as small grocery shops and stationery stores are not easily accessible by foot. I got tremendous help with my Banking needs from a Nigerian working in a Bank. Free Banking for one year, 2,500 MasterCard limit with option of a Line of Credit etc. He says after the one year I can still transition to another free banking account without minimum balance if I want. He even helped to refer me to employers in the Finance Industry and one of them has even called me for interviews already and I only met the guy on an online forum oh. Also, like many have mentioned here previously you have to target your resumes to job postings. What else am I missing in my story? Anyways it has been a great number of days being here with no regrets (except that there is no suya here lol) . Let me know if you have any enquires I may be of help. Thanks to everyone who has previously dropped useful information here.

74 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Sunmisire: 11:19am On Jun 06, 2018
Pls seniors in the house. My husband is the PA and our CRS is 456 without me having to write ielts,i only evaluated my result. However I want to confirm if I still need to write ielts cos I heard its one of the requirements for job and citizenship(expired or not). Pls house how true is this as I am confused and don't want to waste money since our score can fetch us ita speedily.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gasplant: 11:32am On Jun 06, 2018
Sunmisire:
Pls seniors in the house. My husband is the PA and our CRS is 456 without me having to write ielts,i only evaluated my result. However I want to confirm if I still need to write ielts cos I heard its one of the requirements for job and citizenship(expired or not). Pls house how true is this as I am confused and don't want to waste money since our score can fetch us ita speedily.

I'd advice you write the IELTS, Academic in particular. I am in same situation and my wife is going to write. You never can know where you would need it. It's better you do that now and get it done with while you are still here,when you get there,you may have less time on your hands

Hope this helps!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Shay27(f): 11:44am On Jun 06, 2018

Please I’d need his contact

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 11:53am On Jun 06, 2018
gasplant:

I'd advice you write the IELTS, Academic in particular. I am in same situation and my wife is going to write. You never can know where you would need it. It's better you do that now and get it done with while you are still here,when you get there,you may have less time on your hands

Hope this helps!

why academic?! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 12:32pm On Jun 06, 2018
Sunmisire:

Hello Ma, you do not need IELTS for anything, if ur Husbands's point is enough.....CARRY GO

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ninichinny: 12:48pm On Jun 06, 2018
@hustler, congrats
hustler:
Arrived Calgary, Alberta early last month. Just wanted to share my quick settlement story. Weather has been relatively great. Got registered with Immigration centres and have received tremendous help there. Got a 2 bedroom apartment in the NW area for 1,300 which is ok. A friend helped me with securing that and I did not have to make payment for 3 or 6 months in advance. Just a refundable security deposit and first month rent. Like most have mentioned previously here, you will need a vehicle especially in the NW as small grocery shops and stationery stores are not easily accessible by foot. I got tremendous help with my Banking needs from a Nigerian working in a Bank. Free Banking for one year, 2,500 MasterCard limit with option of a Line of Credit etc. He says after the one year I can still transition to another free banking account without minimum balance if I want. He even helped to refer me to employers in the Finance Industry and one of them has even called me for interviews already and I only met the guy on an online forum oh. Also, like many have mentioned here previously you have to target your resumes to job postings. What else am I missing in my story? Anyways it has been a great number of days being here with no regrets (except that there is no suya here lol) . Let me know if you have any enquires I may be of help. Thanks to everyone who has previously dropped useful information here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zutlin: 1:36pm On Jun 06, 2018
gasplant:

Hope this helps!

Your advice is quite off. What happens if the citizenship requirements changes and expired IELTS test reports are no longer accepted? What's the point of writing IELTS now when citizenship is at least four years away (they haven't even got ITA yet)?
Besides, she clearly mentions that she doesn't want to waste money.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.