Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,464 members, 7,781,344 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:48 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (313) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1963298 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 3:55am On Jun 22, 2018
solos007:
Yes, Boss! Accepting Offer right away! grin
Thank you, Senior Bros

Damn....I guess I was late to this...Ah well...such is life....to each one his own undecided undecided
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 4:04am On Jun 22, 2018
Hey everyone. I am Nigerian and Canadian PR for 1 year and have a job but was DENIED VISA to the US on June 19th on grounds of not having “strong economic ties to Canada” Can some1 explain what this mean. Who in his right mind would forfeit his PR status to go stay back in the US illegally? I am very sad and upset! I sense some racial bias because of my black skin colour. A married pregnant Nigérian lady was also denied right before my eyes. This is embarrassing. Share your thoughts please

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 4:07am On Jun 22, 2018
hifyty:
MCSE
MCSA
MCP
CCNA
CEH
A+
N+
ITIL Service Operations
ITIL Foundation
Bsc.Computer Engineering with 8 years of experience

Congrats boss!! I hope the offer was hefty oh...You have a good balance of networks and systems and the ITIL grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:10am On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:
Hey everyone. I am Nigerian and Canadian PR for 1 year and have a job but was DENIED VISA to the US on June 19th on grounds of not having “strong economic ties to Canada” Can some1 explain what this mean. Who in his right mind would forfeit his PR status to go stay back in the US illegally? I am very sad and upset! I sense some racial bias because of my black skin colour. A married pregnant Nigérian lady was also denied right before my eyes. This is embarrassing. Share your thoughts please

There's more to this story. How long have you had your job ? Have you ever been to the U.S ? Do you have some sort of record ? Talk true talk if you want advice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 4:11am On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:

What the heck? shocked shocked shocked A PR denied a US visa? Your officer must have been on some high grade sum’n...I got 10yrs visa which is the standard for PR just last month after a 5 min interview and no documents checked!! Did you show them your PR card? Unbelievable!!

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 5:03am On Jun 22, 2018
maternal:

There's more to this story. How long have you had your job ? Have you ever been to the U.S ? Do you have some sort of record ? Talk true talk if you want advice.

More to what story please? I have had the job since December 2017. No documents was asked. Never been to the US.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 5:04am On Jun 22, 2018
Yooku:

What the heck? shocked shocked shocked A PR denied a US visa? Your officer must have been on some high grade sum’n...I got 10yrs visa which is the standard for PR just last month after a 5 min interview and no documents checked!! Did you show them your PR card? Unbelievable!!

I showed the lady. She even asked me how I got my permanent residence. It’s crazy. Im still in shock myself.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 5:58am On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:

you can alaways reapply...i know a lady was denied may be cos her job earnings was low..also not sure what you filled and what they were checking ...best news u can reapply..and see how things goes.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 6:02am On Jun 22, 2018
Yooku:

I think I visited this thread after some months just in time to speak to you.....Don’t take the 65k!!! You are being lowballed big time cool shocked You have an impressive array of skills which should fetch you not less than 80k minimum. I have a similar profile though more focused on Cisco/Juniper with a CCIE RS to crown it and 2 weeks after landing I had an offer of 90-100k but declined due to some pertinent personal reasons. I currently have a contract with a telco which is worth about 70k which is “below market-rate” for my profile as the recruiter even admitted but I took it cos it fit with my plans for this year. Don’t get excited because you can get flustered when you realize quickly you have got a raw deal. Just go to Indeed.ca and see the plethora of jobs there. You are overskilled sha...I will take just your Cisco certs and tell you that you are worth at least 80k.... And you have experience with Vsphere, Netscaler, Palo Alto and F5 and you wanna take 65k? My advice to you...Look for a perm-role which will not offer less than 80k or get incorporated and get a contract for starters to build some Canadian experience for like 6 months and start looking for perm roles in the 90-110k range. It’s easier to leave a contract than a perm job.All you need is 1 or 2weeks notice and fewer HR hoops to jump through. Use LinkedIn...I’ve gotten tired of recruiters trying to romance me for roles all over and even in the US. You know you have arrived when the recruiters are literally begging you to let them place you in a role. Maybe we should take this offline if you wish but once again.....DONT TAKE THE 65k!!!!! Thank me for this advice later cool I hope I don’t get roasted for this but this is the realest I can get with you as a fellow IT professional. Cheers!!!

Will advice him to take it if that is what he has for now...you can go from 65 to 95 in months...in permanent roles its also mostly two weeks notice...65k is not his worth that I can agree but ...if that is all he has he should take it for now..changing jobs is not difficult

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 6:03am On Jun 22, 2018
Yooku:

As in i am seriously not understanding...It beats common sense

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:13am On Jun 22, 2018
Yooku:

You know Canadians do sometimes get turned back at US borders for flimsy reasons?

It's all about the visa officer or customs and border protection officer. Some of them might be having a bad day. Also, getting into the US during this trump era is something else.

"If you're a Canadian who's ever made the trip south, you've probably come to terms with the fact that U.S. agents hold nearly unlimited power to make your life awful at the border. They seem to make up rules on the fly.
New border rules that give U.S. agents the right to "advanced" searches of our electronic devices, based on "reasonable suspicion." And reports that Canadians are being turned away after answering questions about their religion, sexuality, ethnicity or political views".

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/nicholas-mizera/the-u-s-border-feels-like-hostile-territory-for-canadians-like-me_a_23332218/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/news/national/rejection-rate-on-the-rise-for-canadians-at-us-border/article34262237/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:27am On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:

I showed the lady. She even asked me how I got my permanent residence. It’s crazy. Im still in shock myself.
Do not think it's about race or anything of such except you are absolutely sure. Remember that majority of Canadians are white and they still get turned back. Like I mentioned in the post above, it could just be overzealous visa officers or one having a bad day. You are actually going there to spend your money, so it's not your loss. If you feel the US trip is that important, you can always reapply.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 6:43am On Jun 22, 2018
salford1:

Do not think it's about race or anything of such except you are absolutely sure. Remember that majority of Canadians are white and they still get turned back. Like I mentioned in the post above, it could just be overzealous visa officers or one having a bad day. You are actually going there to spend your money, so it's not your loss. If you feel the US trip is that important, you can always reapply.
thanks a lot for your input. How long should I wait before I can reapply?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 6:50am On Jun 22, 2018
salford1:

You know Canadians do sometimes get turned back at US borders for flimsy reasons?

It's all about the visa officer or customs and border protection officer. Some of them might be having a bad day. Also, getting into the US during this trump era is something else.

"If you're a Canadian who's ever made the trip south, you've probably come to terms with the fact that U.S. agents hold nearly unlimited power to make your life awful at the border. They seem to make up rules on the fly.
New border rules that give U.S. agents the right to "advanced" searches of our electronic devices, based on "reasonable suspicion." And reports that Canadians are being turned away after answering questions about their religion, sexuality, ethnicity or political views".

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/nicholas-mizera/the-u-s-border-feels-like-hostile-territory-for-canadians-like-me_a_23332218/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/news/national/rejection-rate-on-the-rise-for-canadians-at-us-border/article34262237/
it’s crazy my brother and Nigerians are not helping matters. Always crossing the border illegally. Immigration minister had to go to Nigeria and advised the embassy to reduce the visa quota they give to Nigérians. It’s really terrible being a Nigerian these days

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:07am On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:
It is better to wait till your circumstances change, but that doesnt mean you would get rejected if you immediately reapply. You might be passed on to a different visa officer who might just approve your visa application without any issue.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 7:40am On Jun 22, 2018
salford1:

It is better to wait till your circumstances change, but that doesnt mean you would get rejected if you immediately reapply. You might be passed on to a different visa officer who might just approve your visa application without any issue.

StNonsky:

The unfortunate reality is having this rejection does create a bit of a potential dilemma for you. It is normally best to wait till your circumstances change once you've had a rejection because any new visa officer reviewing your application will likely want to know what is different in your situation between when you last applied and when you re-apply.

So if the previous visa officer indicates you've got insufficient ties to Canada, it is very likely whoever reviews your application now will dig in closer on that. He/She may accept your PR is a sufficient tie, but at the same time may also consider that it was part of the consideration when you were previously rejected, so it remains insufficient on its own.

Unless it is absolutely important for you to go, I would default to @salford's comment and advise you put off re-applying for as long as possible. But if there is a pressing need to go, I guess you can re-apply and hope for the best.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 3:58pm On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:

More to what story please? I have had the job since December 2017. No documents was asked. Never been to the US.

So you have a job for about 7 months ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:01pm On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:

I have a hard time believing this personally. What's the real story my guy.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eyifunmi: 4:05pm On Jun 22, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 4:12pm On Jun 22, 2018
maternal:

Excuse me but if you don’t have any input to make. Please give room for those that have an opinion. I have said exactly what happened and how it happened.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Eyifunmi: 4:17pm On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:

I have seen it happen!
It's just an overzealous visa officer.
Most likely when you are young, single and with no travel history, I know someone the visa officer kept questioning how she got the PR, as a young lady at 26, what scheme she came to Canada through, did she study in Canada, and because the husband wasn't in town, was denied, Infact the visa officer asked for the husband's job, both of them were pharmacists, under 30, and the visa officer thought they were trying to go get licensed in the USA.
She was a PR, two years in Canada with a pharmacy assistant job.
Please, don't give it too much thought, it happens, if it is nothing important, keep your money jare, when you become a Canadian citizen, you go there.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by solos007: 4:38pm On Jun 22, 2018
Thank you, boss.

But I already accepted the offer. It is really for me to have Canadian Experience on my CV and the company seem to have a global presence.
After a short while, I intend to move to a better offer.

smiley smiley smiley

Yooku:

Damn....I guess I was late to this...Ah well...such is life....to each one his own undecided undecided

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 5:01pm On Jun 22, 2018
Eyifunmi:

I have seen it happen!
It's just an overzealous visa officer.
Most likely when you are young, single and with no travel history, I know someone the visa officer kept questioning how she got the PR, as a young lady at 26, what scheme she came to Canada through, did she study in Canada, and because the husband wasn't in town, was denied, Infact the visa officer asked for the husband's job, both of them were pharmacists, under 30, and the visa officer thought they were trying to go get licensed in the USA.
She was a PR, two years in Canada with a pharmacy assistant job.
Please, don't give it too much thought, it happens, if it is nothing important, keep your money jare, when you become a Canadian citizen, you go there.
Thanks brother. I agree she was overzealous. She even denied a Nigerian married pregnant lady before me! For what And she’s à Jamaican lady. Blacks don’t even like people of their own color. It’s bad enough that green card holders come here without visa and it’s worse that we r made to apply for visa and even denied. Are we second class ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 8:54pm On Jun 22, 2018
Hello Seniors,

So my wife contacted some newcomers services in Ontario who help immigrants with employment services. However, they requested she provide her SIN as part of the documentation needed to enroll her for their services.

When she enquired why they requested for the SIN, someone explained that because they are sponsored by the Govt. of Ontario and Canadian Govt., they would need to provide some form of returns on the people who have benefitted from their service.

Please is it in order for her to disclose her SIN to them?

Kindly guide us based on your experience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 9:48pm On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:
Excuse me but if you don’t have any input to make. Please give room for those that have an opinion. I have said exactly what happened and how it happened.

What job do you do here? Is it a well paying one? If not wait till you get a better one. Like others said you have to go back when your situation has changed to avoid another denial.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 9:55pm On Jun 22, 2018
maternal:

Can you please stop this, seeing that you're not a visa officer.

I don't understand how it's unbelievable. Being a Canadian PR holder doesn't automatically qualify one for a US visa . I've read of Canadian passport holders that have been turned back at point of entry.
He didn't qualify for the visa at that time, all he needs to do is re- apply and convince the visa officer of his ties to Canada

@stnonsky you can reapply at any time.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 9:57pm On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:
Thanks brother. I agree she was overzealous. She even denied a Nigerian married pregnant lady before me! For what And she’s à Jamaican lady. Blacks don’t even like people of their own color. It’s bad enough that green card holders come here without visa and it’s worse that we r made to apply for visa and even denied. Are we second class ?

I don't think it has anything to do with your race or colour. It can be annoying but you'll be alright.

Just reapply, maybe give yourself another 3 months. it's up to you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 11:04pm On Jun 22, 2018
bbaby84:

Can you please stop this, seeing that you're not a visa officer.

I don't understand how it's unbelievable. Being a Canadian PR holder doesn't automatically qualify one for a US visa . I've read of Canadian passport holders that have been turned back at point of entry.
He didn't qualify for the visa at that time, all he needs to do is re- apply and convince the visa officer of his ties to Canada

@stnonsky you can reapply at any time.
there’s nothing like ‘I didn’t qualify for visa at that tome’. This is the same visa students get easily talk more of a PR. You shd know your rights. Green card holders are allowed freely here without visa so why shdnt we? I’m sure it’s a vendetta against Nigerians because the bad eggs among us cross the border illegally and as a result immigration minister had to go down to Nigeria because of the issue and advised the US embassy to reduce the visa quota they give to Nigerians. People’s visas are being cancelled and those that have travelled once can’t even travel again with the same visa. I’m sure the officer was clearly acting on instructions if not, why would she also deny a married pregnant PR lady? I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by behati: 11:20pm On Jun 22, 2018
StNonsky:
there’s nothing like ‘I didn’t qualify for visa at that tome’. This is the same visa students get easily talk more of a PR. You shd know your rights. Green card holders are allowed freely here without visa so why shdnt we? I’m sure it’s a vendetta against Nigerians because the bad eggs among us cross the border illegally and as a result immigration minister had to go down to Nigeria because of the issue and advised the US embassy to reduce the visa quota they give to Nigerians. People’s visas are being cancelled and those that have travelled once can’t even travel again with the same visa. I’m sure the officer was clearly acting on instructions if not, why would she also deny a married pregnant PR lady? I rest my case.

People have told you it had nothing to do with your race, yet you insist. Anyone can be denied a visa wether white or black, pregnant or not. Reapply if you must and a different VO may perceive you/your intentions differently, otherwise, let it rest. Life happens

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 1:09am On Jun 23, 2018
Nobody has a right to a Visa.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:14am On Jun 23, 2018
StNonsky:

Re-apply
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SixSigma1(m): 3:21am On Jun 23, 2018
StNonsky:

First, I understand the way you feel for being refused a US visa despite having your Canadian PR. While it is very rare for Canadian PR to be denied US visa, it does happen that PR holders are sometimes denied as it is in your case. The reason being that being granted the visa of any country is a privilege (not a right). Even if you feel that you 100% qualify, the visa officer may think otherwise.

Having said that, I see a lot of misconceptions in your post above which I will also like to address:

StNonsky:
there’s nothing like ‘I didn’t qualify for visa at that tome’. This is the same visa students get easily talk more of a PR. You shd know your rights. Green card holders are allowed freely here without visa so why shdnt we?

You should actually take your own advice of knowing your right because it looks to me that you have a wrong impression of what are your rights as a Canadian PR holder regarding being granted visa or entrance into US. The fact that the Canadian Government chose to allow Green Card holders to enter Canada without Canadian visa does not mean that the US Government has to reciprocate. In the past, before September 11 (and up to a certain time after 911), Canadian PR holders from certain countries (including from Nigeria) could enter the US without having to obtain a US visa. It is not the US fault if the Canadian Government chose not impose visa rule on Green card holders after the US imposed visa on PR holders. So, as a Canadian PR holder you do not have a right to US visa (your PR document only makes it easier to get). Even Canadian citizens that do not currently require visa to enter the US can still be denied entry just as US citizen could be denied entry into Canada and nothing will happen.

I also want to point out to you that even as a Canadian PR holder, you can also be denied re-entry into Canada for reasons that are obvious and not so obvious. This is because until you become a Canadian citizen, being granted entry into Canada is a privilege (not a right). We discussed this in the past on this thread. See this page: https://www.nairaland.com/3617393/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/259#66247695

StNonsky:
I’m sure it’s a vendetta against Nigerians because the bad eggs among us cross the border illegally and as a result immigration minister had to go down to Nigeria because of the issue and advised the US embassy to reduce the visa quota they give to Nigerians.

As to this being a vendetta against Nigerians, I doubt this. You are already in Canada. The request for strict US visa is for the Nigerians that are based in Nigeria and who are trying to enter Canada illegally through the US and not those that are already living legally in Canada.

So, as many people have already said, just wait for a while and reapply.

18 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.