Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (315) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980147 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:38am On Jun 25, 2018
maternal:

They got denied because of economic reasons. He or she already said so. According to my math they've been working for 7 months so it's understandable. Who even knows how much they're making sef. But to say the border officer asked how they got their PR? That I don't believe and leads me to think he or she has something in their past. This seems to be more than an economic reason. The hate towards Nigerians is a nonsense excuse when you're a PR here. The person should just talk true talk.

What you're insinuating is not necessarily true. Your statement shows the visa officer must have denied him for a genuine solid reason. Some of them are really overzealous, it's something some people don't understand until it happens to them then they're faced with a rude shock. I know of 2 people who are not even working, PR for shorter periods and got their US visa within a short time. And for the visa officer asking how he got his PR, if you don't believe that, trust me I've heard funnier and more demeaning questions. Do not assume all the officers go by the books, if not people with solid applications, proofs and genuine intent won't be getting rejected. This is one issue I have with posts of disappointments, where people must always feel the poster did something wrong. PR holders getting being denied US visa is not a new thing with or without obvious reason

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 3:12am On Jun 25, 2018
kissoflife:

Sometimes they do

Hello,

So when a request for another passport photo is made by IRCC, please how will it be submitted/sent to them?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 3:18am On Jun 25, 2018
Sunmisire:
Pls seniors in the house. My husband is the PA and our CRS is 456 without me having to write ielts,i only evaluated my result. However I want to confirm if I still need to write ielts cos I heard its one of the requirements for job and citizenship(expired or not). Pls house how true is this as I am confused and don't want to waste money since our score can fetch us ita speedily.

There's an exam, CLB that you can do in Canada, it's free for New Canadians. They use it in a lot of bridging programs and it's valid for a year. Register with any settlement agency and they should help you out.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kissoflife: 3:38am On Jun 25, 2018
redocean:

Hello,

So when a request for another passport photo is made by IRCC, please how will it be submitted/sent to them?

For me, I used Canada post and tracked it (got to NS in 4 days), you can use DHL if you want
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by StNonsky(m): 3:47am On Jun 25, 2018
maternal:

They got denied because of economic reasons. He or she already said so. According to my math they've been working for 7 months so it's understandable. Who even knows how much they're making sef. But to say the border officer asked how they got their PR? That I don't believe and leads me to think he or she has something in their past. This seems to be more than an economic reason. The hate towards Nigerians is a nonsense excuse when you're a PR here. The person should just talk true talk.
I strongly believe there’s something wrong with you ma. Do you know me from somewhere? I posted something to get genuine opinions of people because I am upset and you’re there making very annoying and snide insinuations not once not twice not thice and throwing shades? It goes to show the kind of person you really are. If you don’t have any useful contributions please make room for people who do. **dropsmic**

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 4:32am On Jun 25, 2018
kissoflife:

For me, I used Canada post and tracked it (got to NS in 4 days), you can use DHL if you want

Thank you much. I just linked my PR card to my CIC account.

Preparing ahead incase the request for another passport photo comes. Your guidance has been very helpful and it's well appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kissoflife: 4:51am On Jun 25, 2018
redocean:

Thank you much. I just linked my PR card to my CIC account.

Preparing ahead incase the request for another passport photo comes. Your guidance has been very helpful and it's well appreciated.

You're Welcome!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 5:21am On Jun 25, 2018
redocean:

Hello,

You get a letter from IRCC asking you to send the updated passport photo, and you can send it via Canada post (if you're in Canada) or other courier service (if you're outside). Ideally, you ought to still be in Canada if you're waiting for your PR card before making any trips out.
By the way, you get the letter by email, so there's no enclosed envelope for your convenience... smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 7:47am On Jun 25, 2018
Hi A555, I was of the opinion that the same photos you submit with your passport for stamping are the same ones that would be used for the PR card. Is it possible that the photos would be accepted for passport submission but not for the PR card? What are the likely reasons that someone would need to provide new photos if he already submitted ones in the specified format post-PPR?
A555:

You get a letter from IRCC asking you to send the updated passport photo, and you can send it via Canada post (if you're in Canada) or other courier service (if you're outside). Ideally, you ought to still be in Canada if you're waiting for your PR card before making any trips out.
By the way, you get the letter by email, so there's no enclosed envelope for your convenience... smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 8:26am On Jun 25, 2018
Newmum0615:
Hi A555, I was of the opinion that the same photos you submit with your passport for stamping are the same ones that would be used for the PR card. Is it possible that the photos would be accepted for passport submission but not for the PR card? What are the likely reasons that someone would need to provide new photos if he already submitted ones in the specified format post-PPR?

Yes, you are correct. Same photos would normally be used. However, if the photos submitted are not the right size or good quality, you are still issued your COPR and visa counterfoil, and your passport submission is not rejected. I guess rejecting it would create a needless backlog in the visa office. You will however be required to submit updated passport photos before your PR card can be issued.

Your PR card application is initiated by the entry officer after you land, so you will only get notified if you need to send in updated photos after you've already arrived in Canada. In my case, I took updated photos at a London Drugs store here, and immediately i saw the finished product I immediately understood why my previous photos were rejected. Wrong size and horrible quality!! smiley

The process delays the issue of the PR card, so where possible, one should really make the effort to get good quality photos of the correct size when making the passport submission.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 8:40am On Jun 25, 2018
A555:

Yes, you are correct. Same photos would normally be used. However, if the photos submitted are not the right size or good quality, you are still issued your COPR and visa counterfoil, and your passport submission is not rejected. I guess rejecting it would create a needless backlog in the visa office. You will however be required to submit updated passport photos before your PR card can be issued.

Your PR card application is initiated by the entry officer after you land, so you will only get notified if you need to send in updated photos after you've already arrived in Canada. In my case, I took updated photos at a London Drugs store here, and immediately i saw the finished product I immediately understood why my previous photos were rejected. Wrong size and horrible quality!! smiley

The process delays the issue of the PR card, so where possible, one should really make the effort to get good quality photos of the correct size when making the passport submission.

In other words Newmum0615, na studio 24 sure pass
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SeedorfM: 8:53am On Jun 25, 2018
Good morning boss.
I want to say congratulations to you and to wish you safe landing with your family.

I am in your boat and I would gladly appreciate it if you can share with me the resume/cv standard you used so I can follow suit.

Below are my certifications.

MCSE
MCSA
ITIL foundation
ISO 9001:2015 Auditor

Other Trainings with Experience
PMP
Prince2
Some Team management and leadership trainings

My email is mimeseedorf@gmail.com

I look forward to your reply please.

Once again, congratulations boss.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 9:03am On Jun 25, 2018
Thanks a lot. I hope my Studio 24 version would pass.

Does the validity also count? If the date stamped at the back of the photo exceeds the required six months, would that also be a reason to request for another one before PR card issue? If yes, would you recommend taking a new one when we land or here in Naija to forestall the delay. Apologies for the plenty questions.
A555:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 10:19am On Jun 25, 2018
Newmum0615:
Thanks a lot. I hope my Studio 24 version would pass.

Does the validity also count? If the date stamped at the back of the photo exceeds the required six months, would that also be a reason to request for another one before PR card issue? If yes, would you recommend taking a new one when we land or here in Naija to forestall the delay. Apologies for the plenty questions.

Hopefully Studio 24 works. I decided to go for a cheaper option...and it wasn't the smart option ultimately. That said, I don't know what Studio 24 delivers.

The specs for the passport photo are so unusual, in my opinion. It comes out more like a small picture, than a passport photo.

Don't stress about it. Wait till you're notified if updated passport photos are required before you get new ones here. Can't say for sure, but if it's within the six months validity when you make the submission, I would expect it to be ok. Most people sending in updated passports will likely be doing so because it doesn't meet the required format.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:35am On Jun 25, 2018
Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.
A555:

Hopefully Studio 24 works. I decided to go for a cheaper option...and it wasn't the smart option ultimately. That said, I don't know what Studio 24 delivers.

The specs for the passport photo are so unusual, in my opinion. It comes out more like a small picture, than a passport photo.

Don't stress about it. Wait till you're notified if updated passport photos are required before you get new ones here. Can't say for sure, but if it's within the six months validity when you make the submission, I would expect it to be ok. Most people sending in updated passports will likely be doing so because it doesn't meet the required format.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ttmacoy: 2:30pm On Jun 25, 2018
Based on the bolded it is safe to conclude that if the officer is NOT satisfied he can refuse entry therefore you don't have a right to entry.

Of course for an officer to refuse entry for a PR it must be something very serious and significant.

Right of entry of permanent residents

(2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

Fortissimo502:

Not really trying to stir up old stuff but what do you say about 19 (2) of division 3 of the immigration and refugee protection act. For ease of reference it reads thus:

(2) An officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status.

---------------------

It is my interpretation that if you have PR status, you have right of entry.

In addition,

IRCC here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html

explicitly states that PRs have the right to live in Canada. I don't think it makes sense for someone to have the right to live somewhere but not enter that place.

Again I believe once your status is valid you have right to enter. Only way you can be denied is if there's some issue with your PR status. I do not believe it's a privilege.

Can someone find any case law on canlii that shows someone with valid PR status being denied?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 2:42pm On Jun 25, 2018
ttmacoy:
Based on the bolded it is safe to conclude that if the officer is NOT satisfied he can refuse entry therefore you don't have a right to entry.

Of course for an officer to refuse entry for a PR it must be something very serious and significant.

Correct...but read it to its conclusion. Satisfied regarding what? Your PR status.

In actual fact the main reason for inadmissibility for PRs is serious criminality e.g. murder. You can check case law on canlii.

From what I've read and been told, in most cases the PR will still be allowed entry while the the government begins proceedings to formally revoke the PR status.

Again I have seen no case law where a PR with valid status was denied entry. There may be.

I believe there was a case reported on nairaland where a naturalized citizen was denied entry (or something like that) due to some issue in verifying their status. Though I'm not sure of the details regarding that case.

This tells me that most times, the key thing with entry is status. Although yes it is true that you can be denied entry based on serious criminality. To me that doesn't justify saying PRs don't have right of entry.

http://mtcsalc.org/en/publications/immigration/permanent-resident-status?p=2

That's some interesting reading for anyone interested in the topic. Make sure to read in full.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jhammz519: 2:57pm On Jun 25, 2018
Hello peeps I'm new here, I got my study visa to Canada last week please can you ppl advice me on pre arrival tips and what kind of jobs is there in canada

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ttmacoy: 3:04pm On Jun 25, 2018
You are correct even if there is a major issue it will probably have to go to an immigration or criminal court which means you will have to enter the country.

Fortissimo502:

Correct...but read it to its conclusion. Satisfied regarding what? Your PR status.

In actual fact the main reason for inadmissibility (or is it revocation of PR status) is serious criminality e.g. murder. You can check case law on canlii.

From what I've read and been told, in most cases the PR will still be allowed entry while the the government begins proceedings to formally revoke the PR status.

Again I have seen no case law where a PR with valid status was denied entry. I believe there was a case where a naturalized citizen was denied entry (or something like that) due to some issue in verifying their status. Though I'm not sure of the details regarding that case.

This tells me that the key thing with entry is status. Although yes it is true that you can be denied entry based on serious criminality. To me that doesn't justify saying PRs don't have right of entry.

That's some interesting reading for anyone interested in the topic. Make sure to read in full.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bukella(f): 3:06pm On Jun 25, 2018
Jhammz519:
Hello peeps I'm new here, I got my study visa to Canada last week please can you ppl advice me on pre arrival tips and what kind of jobs is there in canada
Congratulations! ��
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 3:07pm On Jun 25, 2018
ttmacoy:
You are correct even if there is a major issue it will probably have to go to an immigration or criminal court which means you will have to enter the country.

Yes, you are right. That's exactly what I read. They go through the courts in most times. The PR will be called in for hearings and such.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bukella(f): 3:08pm On Jun 25, 2018
Jhammz519:
This should help.

https://www.nairaland.com/863690/nigerian-students-canada-how-survive/67#60000905
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by redocean: 3:23pm On Jun 25, 2018
A555:

Thanks much for your response, it provided more clarity.

Although, when I linked PR card to CIC account, it prompted that all future correspondence will be through the CIC account after linking. So, maybe I will not receive an email as you did but likely a direct notification in the CIC account.

All the same, fingers crossed. Hopefully, Studio 24 will pass the test...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kissoflife: 3:44pm On Jun 25, 2018
All of you guys saying studio 24.

I used that same studio 24 and was told to send new ones here, now my PR card is delayed as well.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 3:51pm On Jun 25, 2018
Na wa o. So which one should we use again?

kissoflife:
All of you guys saying studio 24.

I used that same studio 24 and was told to send new ones here, now my PR card is delayed as well.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:05pm On Jun 25, 2018
Fortissimo502:

In actual fact the main reason for inadmissibility for PRs is serious criminality e.g. murder. You can check case law on canlii.

Again I have seen no case law where a PR with valid status was denied entry. There may be.

I believe there was a case reported on nairaland where a naturalized citizen was denied entry (or something like that) due to some issue in verifying their status. Though I'm not sure of the details regarding that case.

This tells me that most times, the key thing with entry is status. Although yes it is true that you can be denied entry based on serious criminality. To me that doesn't justify saying PRs don't have right of entry.

A permanent resident would also have trouble re-entering Canada if he have been out of Canada for over certain number of days.

Also if someone had got permanent residence through refugee route, he may loose his permanent resident status should he travel to the place that was the basis of his refugee claim.

As indicate above, a PR whether inadmissible or not will always re-enter Canada given that his case will be sent to a court. The court will determine if his permanent residence status should bw revoked

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kissoflife: 4:06pm On Jun 25, 2018
Lol, I dont know o. Just don't think because you used studio 24 then you're free. Just prepare your mind ahead. I also used studio 24 at Allen, Ikeja
Newmum0615:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 4:11pm On Jun 25, 2018
Newmum0615:

Wherever you decide to use, just make sure you take a ruler to measure the photos and ensure they meet the specifications. We used Studio 24 and I took a ruler along. They had to reprint 5 sets of photos because it kept coming out wrong. We didn’t get any request for new photos, so it worked.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 4:15pm On Jun 25, 2018
Nice. Thanks.
MrsBee:

Wherever you decide to use, just make sure you take a ruler to measure the photos and ensure they meet the specifications. We used Studio 24 and I took a ruler along. They had to reprint 5 sets of photos because it kept coming out wrong. We didn’t get any request for new photos, so it worked.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by steroid: 4:28pm On Jun 25, 2018
No pictures posted recently.

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.