Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,681 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:17 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (320) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979600 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fuzzyman(f): 12:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
AZeD1:

Congrats on your job. My advice to everyone looking for a job is to never rule yourself out. That's the job of the HR manager not yours so do your part by applying and let the HR manager do theirs. She made it to the final interview with a VP who came from Toronto to Ottawa and is waiting feedback.

Never rule yourself out of a job role.

Thanks for this post, I am lawyer who works in development in Nigeria and have no desire to practice in Canada either, I had started ruling myself out of jobs i have not even applied for. thanks for this.

I will suggest that people check reddit for alternate careers for people who have studied something similar to theirs, I find that it is helping me identify which areas to target with a law degree

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 1:07pm On Jul 03, 2018
linuslynx:
Please clarify further and I'd also love the landed seniors to make inputs here. Do you imply that with my Local DL I can't drive when I arrive calgary for the first three months? My DL expires soon and I intend renewing but going by what you just said it makes no sense since I can't drive with it and I can still use the expired one to apply for Canadian DL.

You can use the expired one to apply for Canadian DL?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:57pm On Jul 03, 2018
einsteino:
Here is the story of one my linkedin connections

Ogoamaka Egboka
I remember her post on facebook some years ago. Glad she finally got her license.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 2:36pm On Jul 03, 2018
salford1:

I remember her post on facebook some years ago. Glad she finally got her license.

wow thanks for sharing this
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by walexlo78: 3:09pm On Jul 03, 2018
You cannot drive with it alone, you need both that license and the international drivers license. You can see this same requirement on service Alberta website.

linuslynx:
Please clarify further and I'd also love the landed seniors to make inputs here. Do you imply that with my Local DL I can't drive when I arrive calgary for the first three months? My DL expires soon and I intend renewing but going by what you just said it makes no sense since I can't drive with it and I can still use the expired one to apply for Canadian DL.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by walexlo78: 3:17pm On Jul 03, 2018
You cannot drive with it alone, you need both that license and the international drivers license. You can see this same requirement on service Alberta website.

linuslynx:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DereI(f): 4:47pm On Jul 03, 2018
salford1:

Each time I see that phrase "Obodo oyinbo no easy" I smile. Abeg make I ask....9ja easy?

I see all the posts confirm they all got a job or two before, during and after getting a Canadian diploma or certificate. But in 9ja, some people won't find jobs even with a Msc. Abi I lie?

29 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 7:12pm On Jul 03, 2018
DereI:

Each time I see that phrase "Obodo oyinbo no easy" I smile. Abeg make I ask....9ja easy?

I see all the posts confirm they all got a job or two before, during and after getting a Canadian diploma or certificate. But in 9ja, some people won't find jobs even with a Msc. Abi I lie?

I think it’s in reference to the modus operandi of both countries. From disorganized to organized. Lol

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:58pm On Jul 03, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

I think it’s in reference to the modus operandi of both countries. From disorganized to organized. Lol
Lol. E no easy but nobody wan return to naija.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 8:05pm On Jul 03, 2018
I know her! Like know her know her. I lived just beside their house in school. We attended the same university. Bookies, the whole lot of them. Popsie was former VC of my school. Nice. I like.
einsteino:

Ogoamaka Egboka

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boundlessjoy: 9:01pm On Jul 03, 2018
Newmum0615:
I know her! Like know her know her. I lived just beside their house in school. We attended the same university. Bookies, the whole lot of them. Popsie was former VC of my school. Nice. I like.
Tojued:

9 years seems very long to me sha.
einsteino:

Ogoamaka Egboka
I’m also wondering why she didn’t consider getting her bar license before settling for call center jobs? Even the time and resources she invested in getting a paralegal degree was more than enough to scale the bar. It shouldn’t take 9 yrs to pass a couple of exams right?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 9:21pm On Jul 03, 2018
Newmum0615:
I know her! Like know her know her. I lived besides their house in school. We attended the same university. Bookies, the whole lot of them. Popsie was former VC of my school. Nice. I like.

Wow.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 9:21pm On Jul 03, 2018
boundlessjoy:

I’m also wondering why she didn’t consider getting her bar license before settling for call center jobs? Even the time and resources she invested in getting a paralegal degree was more than enough to scale the bar. It shouldn’t take 9 yrs to pass a couple of exams right?
Bills, rents, feeding, childcare etc...for the call centre jobs.

As per the time spent in getting the paralegal diploma or degree, not everyone can self-study outside a classroom environment as it takes extreme discipline (i know some people that have changed careers in Canada just becos of this reason), and with kids around, it even becomes more difficult.

Sometimes, exams do not take very long to pass (1 to 3 years, some with only 3 attempts at it before been struck out completely), so you really want to study hard and not waste the chances. Also obtaining an intern position which is a prerequisite to obtaining most license to practice could be very difficult. E.g International medical grads/pharms/nurses/physios etc.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sexymj(f): 9:25pm On Jul 03, 2018
Hi.

Please is it necessary to renew an expired NDL before landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boundlessjoy: 9:32pm On Jul 03, 2018
salford1:

Bills, rents, feeding, childcare etc...for the call centre jobs. Law Articling would’ve paid as much if not more than what she was earning as call center agent.

As per the time spent in getting the paralegal diploma or degree, not everyone can self-study outside a classroom environment as it takes extreme discipline (i know some people that have changed careers in Canada just becos of this reason), and with kids around, it even becomes more difficult. She should’ve enrolled in bar exam classes then instead of paralegal classes.

Sometimes, exams do not take very long to pass (1 to 3 years, some with only 3 attempts at it before been struck out completely), so you really want to study hard and not waste the chances. Also obtaining an intern position which is a prerequisite to obtaining most license to practice could be very difficult. E.g International medical grads/pharms/nurses/physios etc. I perfectly understand. But it cannot take years to get an articling position. Even Nigerian-owned law offices will pity you and hire you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:02pm On Jul 03, 2018
boundlessjoy:

Law Articling would’ve paid as much if not more than what she was earning as call center agent.

She should’ve enrolled in bar exam classes then instead of paralegal classes.

I perfectly understand. But it cannot take years to get an articling position. Even Nigerian-owned law offices will pity you and hire you.

I do not know much about law. The process in getting the license for lawyers could indeed be different from health related or engineering related professions which i am quit familier with:

Health and Engineering:
Alot of employers won't pay interns. Free job for one year, more or less. Can one afford to stay unemployed for a year depending on profession?

Would private bar exams classes make you eligible for financial aid from the government or line of credit from the banks i.e. if you dont have lots of cash to pay out of your own pocket? Some would easily run into tens of thousands. I know of one in Calgary that cost 15k for 6months tutorial classes as at 2015 with no guarantee of passing. What about child care while you are away in classes?

It could take years or never to get some internship positions e.g medical residency. For other internship positions, they may condiser an applicant as long as he or she is not going to be paid. This usually comes with reference and networking too.

You know, Law could be indeed different compared to other professions. They may find it easier.

Having a Canadian qualified lawyer on this thread can help make the gray areas clear.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by boundlessjoy: 10:16pm On Jul 03, 2018
salford1:

I do not know much about law. The process in getting the license for lawyers could indeed be different from health related or engineering related professions which i am quit familier with:

Health and Engineering:
Alot of employers won't pay interns. Free job for one year, more or less. Can one afford to stay unemployed for a year depending on profession?

Would private bar exams classes make you eligible for financial aid from the government or line of credit from the banks i.e. if you dont have lots of cash to pay out of your own pocket? Some would easily run into tens of thousands. I know of one in Calgary that cost 15k for 6months tutorial classes as at 2015 with no guarantee of passing. What about child care while you are away in classes?

It could take years or never to get some internship positions e.g medical residency. For other internship positions, they may condiser an applicant as long as he or she is not going to be paid. This usually comes with reference and networking too.

You know, Law could be indeed different compared to other professions. They may find it easier.
I understand your position ma/sir. Whatever the situation may be for others, my prayer is for you to excel in your chosen career, way beyond your expectations.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 10:24pm On Jul 03, 2018
boundlessjoy:

I understand your position ma/sir. Whatever the situation may be for others, my prayer is for you to excel in your chosen career, way beyond your expectations.
9 years is indeed a longtime, but circumstances are indeed different for everyone. We do not have enough information to understand why it took her so long. God bless our hustle and may you excel in your endeavours too.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DatechMan(m): 11:17pm On Jul 03, 2018
yungreezy:
Hi guys,

So i landed in Toronto a couple of weeks back. Landing experience was smooth. No much questions. I was done in about 20minutes. I was only asked how much I'm coming in with, they didn't request to see it. Asked the food stuff I came with. And then asked me for an address to send my PR card to.

So it was very smooth. Went down and picked up my luggage. And I was off.

Flight was with Egypt air. I've not been on any other international flight so I can't really compare the service, but I'd say it was okay. Flight is long as hell. Slept, stood, watched movie, slept again. But once I began to see my destination from the plane, my eyes popped wide open.

As regards job search, I cannot thank God enough for the opportunities He has given me in finding a job on time. Because as with everyone else, it was a big worry for me. I began my search from home. I used freetone app as stated by others here. My experience from Nigeria is in banking. I explored switching to IT but I figured it'll be a bit difficult to do that immediately without experience. So I decided to continue my search in where I have experience as advised by some here and move on from there. I had a number of interviews over the phone from Nigeria and continued to in person interview when I arrived. Thankfully I've been able to secure a role within a couple of weeks of arriving here. So it does help to start on time, don't rule yourself out of any role, give the employer the option available to you and hear what they say.

Having said that, is there a group for Nigerians in Toronto? It can get boring here when you don't have much friends so if anyone is around North York/Etobicoke/Mississauga, holla! I wouldnt mind a meet up.
Welcome / Bienvenue
There is a GTA whatsapp group that I am part of. We meet physically once in a while. You can PM for an invite link.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tobey2ng(m): 11:23pm On Jul 03, 2018
DereI:

You nailed it. It better to rough it while we enjoy basic amenities. Basic necessities of life is what that matters. NOTHING GOOD COME EASY!

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 12:27am On Jul 04, 2018
DatechMan:

Welcome / Bienvenue
There is a GTA whatsapp group that I am part of. We meet physically once in a while. You can PM for an invite link.
Bros! I just sent you a PM. Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 12:33am On Jul 04, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Abi o. We de alright for here. Na how to hustle inside GTA de my mind now. D rent in mississauga no be here o.
Sir, the rent could be killing without proper planning but the truth is, the comfort is needed.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 12:35am On Jul 04, 2018
Jhammz519:
Hello good morning, afternoon, evening.
Please I wanna know if questions asked at the airport are always though for students going to study if there any difficulties, cause I'm gonna be coming to canada next month and I wanna know the questions asked and if it's difficult, I wanna be well prepared before going grin cause I'm nervous
Don't be nervous. The main thing is proof of fees payment and you are good.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yungreezy: 1:52am On Jul 04, 2018
DatechMan:

Welcome / Bienvenue

Pm sent. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by emmasite05(m): 8:31am On Jul 04, 2018
DatechMan:

Welcome / Bienvenue

Landing in the GTA in a couple of weeks. Would live to be added to the whatsapp group.
PM sent

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ninichinny: 9:09am On Jul 04, 2018
I also grew up and lived close to their house in Awka. Wow, what a small world.
Newmum0615:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ninichinny: 9:12am On Jul 04, 2018
Nigerian or Canada cerificate?
tobey2ng:

HACCP, QMS Lead Auditor, Food Hygiene Certificate. These will go a long way. Check them out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by abakiki(f): 10:47am On Jul 04, 2018
Hi everyone,

Is there any one who can give me advise and recommendations with regards to obtaining the Ontario HR certification (CHRL). I am an HR professional and my PR application is currently In Progress (1) stage. I am hoping to write the HR certification exam here in Nigeria before leaving for Canada, but it has been a bit challenging.
Are there HR professionals in the house who have gone this route and can give me some pointers?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sexymj(f): 10:55am On Jul 04, 2018
Hello, please can someone help with the below:

sexymj:
Hi.

Please is it necessary to renew an expired NDL before landing?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jholarharde(f): 11:21am On Jul 04, 2018
good day landed seniors, please can anyone enlighten me about Guelph. I have researched some, but I won't mind real life account cheesy.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 5:25pm On Jul 04, 2018
sexymj:
Please, we need a group *cries*

Yeah, we sure do. I just gave birth. Will do that once I resume work. By then, planning would have been in top gear

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gbemmiey: 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2018
You can check this out. It's a free course for immigrants

https://fastbc.org/working-biotechnology-sciences/?utm_campaign=IECBC&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=63906489&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--xHFf4Mln_od0zEoFcjVddvsLCg3xAic-Xr6HZX2rC4sU0uyG_vHsUpyd_TQgmxDVrwYW_swdje-v90lJFUtCOXHgPKQ&_hsmi=63906489

diamondextra:
Good day everyone, please are there microbiologist, biochemist or people in health related fields who are practising in canada. What health related course are in demand?

4 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (317) (318) (319) (320) (321) (322) (323) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.