Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,724 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (349) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979607 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 12:54pm On Aug 14, 2018
terens:
hello, please let me have your contact as am interested in traveling to canada.

Go to below thread, read the infamous page 1 and ask relevant questions
[url]
https://www.nairaland.com/4657743/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/85#70268081[/url]

thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 1:52pm On Aug 14, 2018
Traveling to Canada
terens:
hello, please let me have your contact as am interested in traveling to canada.

thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 2:03pm On Aug 14, 2018
smslive2:
Traveling to Canada

Lol...Your linking prowess

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2018
You have come here again? grin
smslive2:
Traveling to Canada

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 2:45pm On Aug 14, 2018
The name of the link sef. grin
luffyhaki:

Lol...Your linking prowess

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 2:48pm On Aug 14, 2018
Lol grin grin grin grin... Helping the newbies since 1900
Newmum0615:
You have come here again? grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oladainty(f): 3:19pm On Aug 14, 2018
Hello Everyone, Please I would like to know the baggage weight limit for an infant (3 month) Not sure if is 10kg or 23kg.
We would be flight via Turkish Airline. I would appreciate response. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by exquisef: 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2018
its most likely 10kg but you can confirm on airlines website
Oladainty:
Hello Everyone, Please I would like to know the baggage weight limit for an infant (3 month) Not sure if is 10kg or 23kg.
We would be flight via Turkish Airline. I would appreciate response. Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CEloka: 5:34pm On Aug 14, 2018
Good evening everyone,

Please I have some questions regarding Ethiopian airline booking.
1. I booked on hold. How long will the booking stay?
2. Which is better; transferring to their account or going to pay at a bank?
3. Does anyone have the contact details of Ethiopian Airways?

cc @Akingsqueen and everyone else
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by IAMCOMING: 6:29pm On Aug 14, 2018
Finally someone in NS. Please can tell us about the province. All I have being reading has been about Ontario and Alberta mainly

verygoodones1:
Hello House, we don land o, everything was smooth from the airport to shotstay at Toronto, before arriving Nova scotia, currently in Dartmouth area
But this job search no get part two, thank God sha my wife has gotten a job in a call center
as for me IT , the search is on

Anyways please what is the best way of transferring money from nigeria, i cant do wire transfer with online banking as i have to visit the nigerian bank branch physically
and my GT atm is not working here, any advice from seniors please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by styv(m): 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2018
Long post alert!!!

My Landing Story.

Hello people.
I've been a silent reader of this thread, even though I once asked a set of questions nobody answered.

This is my landing Story.

We (I, my wife and kid) left Nigeria aboard a Turkish airline flight, which departed Abuja. We got to the airport about an hour before check in. We had 11 bags, even though we were entitled to just 5. We weighed the bags before leaving but somehow when they were weighed at the airport, all but one was below the 23kg allowed limit. So we had to start rearranging the contents of the bag to keep them at 32kg, which was the maximum allowed limit per bag. It was frantic and tiring. The officials were surprisingly helpful and patient, allowing us to keep re-weighing the bags each time until we got the 32 Kg. After all the work, we were down to 8 bags. We had to pay for 3 extra and 6 excess. At this point we were running late. Got to the Turkish airline office to pay, only to be told they had no POS. After a little talk I was given an account to transfer to. Did the online transfer, but GTB had other ideas. Transaction would be processed in 20 mins according to the app. Waited for close to 15 mins, at that point I pleaded with the guys to issue me a receipt to enable us check in. I had tried getting the boarding passes prior to coming to the airport but for some reason the site kept freezing at the final point. Luckily they obliged and I was on Usain Bolt mode back to the check-in counter.
Shortly after, we were issued our tickets and we were off.

Crossed immigration and customs in a matter of moments. It was about 11.30 pm. We were just about 3 passengers left to cross customs for a flight scheduled to leave at 11.45 pm.
Right afterwards, we boarded. It would be 6+ hours to Istanbul. It was a smooth flight. The crew weren't exactly smiley, but were helpful the few times we sought their attention. The food was good too.

Landed at Istanbul by 8.00am local time. We had a 6hrs+ layover. We made our way to the food court. While in line to buy some food for our boy, I overheard some guy telling another dude that Turkish airlines provided free meals to passengers if the Layover period was more than 4 hours. That would surely save us some much needed bucks I thought. I made for the airline's service desk right after buying my boy's meal for the free meal tickets. It turned out to be true. Got tickets for my wife and me and converted them to food a little while later. Our gate was yet to be announced so we wandered around the airport for a bit before picking a spot to pitch our tents. This was 11 am. 2 pm felt like 3 days away. Finally, our boarding gate was up the board and we had to walk for about 10 mins to get there from where we were seated.
Boy, it was a loooong line. Thank God for Children oh. That's how my wife told them (customs) if they could attend to us cos of our baby (who was asleep). They put us in the business class lane. We were done in a few minutes. They asked for our COPR and passports; checked our hand luggage
We boarded about 30 mins later. 10 mins after we took our seats, it turned out the flight was overbooked. It took them about 20 mins after everyone had boarded to sort it out. Not long after we were air borne and Toronto bound. It took us another 10 hours plus to arrive. The flight was smooth. Similar meals to the first leg of the trip. Good in-flight entertainment. We were given declaration cards on the plane. We declared excess cash and fish. I would fly Turkish again.

We got in. The Time was a few minutes past 6pm local time. There was a long serpentine line for non Canadian and non PR travellers. Slowly but surely it got to our turn. The CBAP lady collected our declaration card and passports then asked again how much excess cash we had and what kind of item we had on us. Asked if we had alcohol or tobacco to which we answered in the negative. Asked if we had any goods to follow, to which we answered no. She marked the card then asked us to move to the next session.

The line this time was shorter. It got to our turn. The official could see we were drained and tired. She took our passports, COPR and the card. Asked if we've been convicted of a crime before and if we've been denied visas or entry to Canada before. Our answer was of course, NO. Asked for our address and phone number. I gave her the address and the Freetone Canadian number I had got earlier.
She asked us to sit for a moment. 5 minutes later she asked us to sign our copies and said "congratulations, you are now permanent residents".
We were on our way out. We got to a desk where they gave us our welcome pack and were told "welcome to Canada". By this time Service Canada had closed. Probably about 2 mins before we got there. This was around 8pm. We got our bags, submitted the declaration card on our way out followed the exit for Taxis and took a Limo (cos of the number of bags) and a few minutes later we were home. Finally in Canada.
Now the real hustle begins.

PS: Apparently, you don't need to fill the accompanying goods form. You just need to fill the goods to follow form (if you have) and tick that space for goods to follow on the declaration card.

Good luck to everyone.

105 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DadR: 8:46pm On Aug 14, 2018
Congratulations to you and your family and may the land favour you guys.

styv:
Long post alert!!!

My Landing Story.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by prost80(m): 9:23pm On Aug 14, 2018
Hello All,

I have been reading the previous posts, but I need clarification. I have completed my ECA, my wife is the PA, while i am waiting, as an Engineer, I want to start working on license. I upgraded my application to ECA report to course by course but i read here that is not the ICAP that is prefarable. If that is the case. What do i do, how can I apply for the proper ICAP/Please advice. the cost of this is about $100? is that the cost? Apologies if this sounds silly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by luffyhaki: 9:35pm On Aug 14, 2018
styv:
Long post alert!!!

My Landing Story.

Hello people.
I've been a silent reader of this thread, even though I once asked a set of questions nobody answered.

Good luck to everyone.

Congratulations
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Saintp(m): 10:19pm On Aug 14, 2018
styv:
Long post alert!!!

The CBAP lady collected our declaration card and passports then asked again how much excess cash we had and what kind of item we had on us.

Good luck to everyone.

Congrats and may Canada favor you and your family.
What do they mean by "excess cash"?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 10:56pm On Aug 14, 2018
Demiyike:

How did you buy your ticket ? Did you use a credit card? If you did try and get authorization from the owner of the credit cards before you travel . If not you risk having your flight canceled

I think it has to do with visa/PR card.

Am now back in Canada.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 11:02pm On Aug 14, 2018
A555:

It's got nothing to do with the payment. Same happened when I tried to check in with KLM a couple of weeks ago. I called customer service about it, and they advised it was a random check to confirm visas or PR card holders before allowing the passenger to check-in. It only means you cant check-in online, which is very annoying if you like to select your seats early. You will get checked in at the airport once they view your PR card.

Your head dey dere.

I didn't want to experience what happened to me when i was travelling back home last 2 weeks where i was begging for aisle seats at the airport for the 2 flights.

Naso i tried 24 hrs online check in only to see the error message of no permission to travel to Canada. Nobody told me to leave early for the airport to sort out whatever the issue was as afraid come dey catch me.

Thankfully i am back to Canada.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 12:23am On Aug 15, 2018
CEloka:
Good evening everyone,

Please I have some questions regarding Ethiopian airline booking.
1. I booked on hold. How long will the booking stay?
2. Which is better; transferring to their account or going to pay at a bank?
3. Does anyone have the contact details of Ethiopian Airways?

cc @Akingsqueen and everyone else

1&3. Info really ought to be on the airline's website.
2. I did a transfer to their account and it worked seamlessly. If i can do something online, most times that's my personal preference.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 6:35am On Aug 15, 2018
Stratnergy:
Good day house.

I have a question on compatibility of Nigerian phones with Canadian networks.

I attended a Planning for Canada event in Nigeria and was told that phones like Tecno and Infinix are not compatible with the network over there.

Is this in relation to double SIM phones or brand of phone? I'm using a Samsung double SIM phone and I don't want phone to be part of what I worry about when I get to Canada.

Your advice pls.

God bless

While other Android phones may work, please forget Tecno & Infinix. they don't even know them

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 4Barr: 6:37am On Aug 15, 2018
Ethelia:

Congratulations grin grin Although I'm still waiting to receive COPR, I've started getting stuff ready since I intend to do a short landing in October, God willing. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now;

1. How comfortable was the trip? did you have a straight flight or is it better to take a connecting one so I can rest and stretch my feet between flights?

2. Thinking of landing in Alberta, how easy or stressful was it getting a doctors appointment and Obgyn in such a short period?

3. Are there any particular documents the Obgyn requested for to make the process easier? (I already intend to take all lab and scan results with me)

4. Costs; I've already done some baby shopping grin seeing as its just a short landing, is it more economical to take the baby stuff I have with me or is it cheaper to just buy there? I'm not very particular about our local food so I don't need to use more than 40% of my baggage allowance for foodstuff.

Thanks a lot

I'm sure the bolded will change when you land especially when you see what they sell in Canadian Restaurants and how expensive naija food is in limited restaurants.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Miemiecious: 6:42am On Aug 15, 2018
Good day.
Please i need a copy or forms of "goods to follow" sheet.
Is there a limit to the weights of the goods to follow?
Are the goods likely to get to Canada before one arrives?
Any limit to material items that must be in the good?
Is the goods won't be cargoed(e.g if it will be brought by my spouse coming back after a soft landing), will it be described/declared as "goods to follow"?
When can one take them to Nigeria airport; before one's travel date or on the travel date?
Seniors pls help...for clarifications
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by LOSKYXANDER: 8:14am On Aug 15, 2018
styv:
Long post alert!!!

My Landing Story.

Hello people.

Did you go under the skilled migrants scheme?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by styv(m): 9:13am On Aug 15, 2018
LOSKYXANDER:

Did you go under the skilled migrants scheme?

Yes
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by styv(m): 9:15am On Aug 15, 2018
Saintp:

Congrats and may Canada favor you and your family.
What do they mean by "excess cash"?

Thank you. If you carry more than CAD10,000 cash/near-money instruments (or equivalent in other currencies), you are required to declare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nenemo: 12:42pm On Aug 15, 2018
Hello,

I need some advise please.

I am married with children. However, I haven't managed to change my name yet but my children all bear my husband's name.

I applied for permanent residency with my maiden name and I am now currently awaiting the almighty ppr mail.

Lately, I have been wondering when the best time to officially change my name would be. Should I do it after I get the ppr mail and before I submit passports? Should I do it after I receive COPR and before I leave Nigeria? Or should I do it long after I have settled in Canada?

Informed advice will be greatly appreciated smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 1:08pm On Aug 15, 2018
I think it's best you finish the whole process. I was in a quandary similar to this and got the same advice. I haven't changed my passport yet to my married name since I got back.

nenemo:
Hello,

I am married with children. However, I haven't managed to change my name yet but my children all bear my husband's name.

I applied for permanent residency with my maiden name and I am now currently awaiting the almighty ppr mail.

Lately, I have been wondering when the best time to officially change my name would be. Should I do it after I get the ppr mail and before I submit passports? Should I do it after I receive COPR and before I leave Nigeria? Or should I do it long after I have settled in Canada?

Informed advice will be greatly appreciated smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadabee: 1:14pm On Aug 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have been a silent follower for a year now and I just received my COPR last week.

I have a Bsc in Computer Science from a Nigerian University. However, I have not used my certificate to work as I became an entrepreneur immediately after finishing school. I am a bad ass fashion designer. Hubby was the PA so my experience didn't count.

I am looking at setting in Calgary and I want to go into software development.

I am stuck between registering at Bow valley college for a 2 year diploma in Software development OR Innotech College for an 8 month programming diploma with Sharepoint Specialization.

I will really appreciate if the Landed Experienced gurus can help me decide which will be better and also any other good option IN Calgary.

I am also about taking Java classes now and might do the Comptia A+ certification(just to hold body).

I will be landing in December by God's grace.
Lectures start in Jan for BV and in Feb for Innotech.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ethelia(f): 1:30pm On Aug 15, 2018
nenemo:
Hello,

I think you can do it after landing....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nenemo: 1:46pm On Aug 15, 2018
When you say got back, what do you mean?

rainazoe:
I think it's best you finish the whole process. I was in a quandary similar to this and got the same advice. I haven't changed my passport yet to my married name since I got back.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nenemo: 1:47pm On Aug 15, 2018
Thank you Ethelia

Ethelia:

I think you can do it after landing....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:37pm On Aug 15, 2018
Canadabee:

I am looking at setting in Calgary and I want to go into software development.

I am stuck between registering at Bow valley college for a 2 year diploma in Software development OR Innotech College for an 8 month programming diploma with Sharepoint Specialization.

I will really appreciate if the Landed Experienced gurus can help me decide which will be better and also any other good option IN Calgary.

I am also about taking Java classes now and might do the Comptia A+ certification(just to hold body).

I will be landing in December by God's grace.
Lectures start in Jan for BV and in Feb for Innotech.
Inno what? I have never heard of that school or college. Better you stay with Bow Valley or SAIT Polytechnic.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:02pm On Aug 15, 2018
salford1:

Inno what? I have never heard of that school or college. Better you stay with Bow Valley or SAIT Polytechnic.
my thoughts as well. Never head of innotech. Sait or bvc for sure.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.