Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,119 members, 7,807,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979530 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 4:32pm On Jul 26, 2017
maternal:

White= a lot of corporate jobs.

Blue= a lot of hands on jobs like tradesman
Ahhhhh, tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 4:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
salford1:

it's in the SW and its k-6.

All provinces have tradespersons in demand. Some provinces like AB and SK have higher wages for tradespersons than others.

i find the meals served in typical canteens okay, but this would greatly depend on individuals due to preferences. Expect to spend $7-$10 for a meal.
[/color][color=#770077] grin tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2017
mygladness:
Good day Sir TheCongo2 and other gurus in the house.

Please my question still await your answer.

Thanks so much

mygladness:
Thank you so much for your kindness, God bless you.
Have done the ranking, what should I do next?
Truly appreciate your counsel.

This is the correct thread you should go to address your concern:
https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 26, 2017
How much does a student apartment typical go for there? Province is Onatrio.

And the basements too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 10:15pm On Jul 26, 2017
Qadi:

And the basements too.

Depends on a number of factors that includes the neighborhood, the city, whether or not you want to share with a roommate
Sharing a 2 or 3 bedrooms can cost you as low as $400.
Renting a studio can cost you as low as $500.
A 1 bedroom apartment may go from $600 to $900

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gymme(m): 12:29am On Jul 27, 2017
I actually think both cities are okay. Richmond is in the Vancouver region and it's home to Asians. Some streets, descriptions are in Chinese or so which is no problem (i love 'them'). However, rent and some other living expenses 'might' be higher in Richmond when compared to Prince Albert. I would suggest your sibling go for the job that pays better considering rent and living expenses.

Ytechconst:

Nice word of encouragement from you bro... Please what can you say about Richmond,BC... One of my sibling is on a verge to moving in through arranged employment, he was given two job preferences available to him 1. General Foreman-Richmond, BC 2. Construction Site foreman-Prince Albert, SK.... Can you advise on any of the city. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 3:09am On Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone.

I have not been to the thread for a while and have been reading up. The thread is growing!!

Please let us remember to direct question not about LIVING IN CANADA to the appropriate threads (i.e. student and EE threads) so as to keep focused here.

I am still waiting for PPR. Submitted in March and I am paranoid that I may have missed the email thinking it was spam. I was told that for PPR I should expect an email containing details about the process and not a notification on my cic profile. I will like a confirmation on this please. What should I be looking out for because all along I was expecting to see the donotreply email from cic.

Congratulations to all who received their PPR!!

To all the great and awesome contributors:
@salford, you rock!!!!

@Ballerz
Wow I am just seeing this:
Ballerz:

I am considering setting up a day care business there. what do you think? I am in the process of incorporating a business name
Any heads up?
That is a fantastic idea. There will definitely be a market for it since a lot of us Nigerians immigrating will require such services.

@Blackbuddy thanks so much for your detailed posts. I am sure a lot of people (myself included) are inspired and even benefited from it.

@WebSurfer, what do you do please?

@yettyopy Thanks a lot for your post.

@Mrs O. Nice work on your blog, but remember to share with us here as well.

I have a few questions:
1. Do we have any geologist or geoscientists that migrated within the last 6 months? Were you able to find a job, in oil or other sector? Do you guys need some sort of certification before you can practice in Canada?

2. Are there part time IT jobs at all in Canada, Calgary to be specific? No one has mentioned it yet.

3. About using a USA drivers license in Canada, mine is expired, is it any good?

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 8:13am On Jul 27, 2017
@oohunt

You will get an email for the PPR i.e. "Ready for Visa". So, just check your email regularly including the junk folder. What does your BG status say?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 8:52am On Jul 27, 2017
oohunt:
Hello everyone.

I have not been to the thread for a while and have been reading up. The thread is growing!!

Please let us remember to direct question not about LIVING IN CANADA to the appropriate threads (i.e. student and EE threads) so as to keep focused here.

I am still waiting for PPR. Submitted in March and I am paranoid that I may have missed the email thinking it was spam. I was told that for PPR I should expect an email containing details about the process and not a notification on my cic profile. I will like a confirmation on this please. What should I be looking out for because all along I was expecting to see the donotreply email from cic.

@salford, you rock!!!!

@Ballerz

That is a fantastic idea. There will definitely be a market for it since a lot of us Nigerians immigrating will require such services.

@Blackbuddy thanks so much for your detailed posts. I am sure a lot of people (myself included) are inspired and even benefited from it.

I have a few questions:
1. Do we have any geologist or geoscientists that migrated within the last 6 months? Were you able to find a job, in oil or other sector? Do you guys need some sort of certification before you can practice in Canada?

2. Are there part time IT jobs at all in Canada, Calgary to be specific? No one has mentioned it yet.

3. About using a USA drivers license in Canada, mine is expired, is it any good?

PPR notification email looks something like this

CPCO-FinalRequest / CTDO-DemandeFinale (CIC)" <IRCC.CPCO-FinalRequest-CTDO-DemandeFinale.IRCC@cic.gc.ca

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 27, 2017
Gymme:
I actually think both cities are okay. Richmond is in the Vancouver region and it's home to Asians. Some streets, descriptions are in Chinese or so which is no problem (i love 'them'). However, rent and some other living expenses 'might' be higher in Richmond when compared to Prince Albert. I would suggest your sibling go for the job that pays better considering rent and living expenses.

Well appreciated. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissShakara: 9:01am On Jul 27, 2017
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll go with Edmonton then.

maternal:

This all depends on what visa/status you'll be coming in as. I'm assuming you're coming as a skilled worker ? I've never lived in Lethbridge, but as a newcomer I wouldn't go to a small town. I'd go to a decent size city. You'll need the networking to eventually reach your goals. Plus I personally wouldn't raise my children in a small town. Honestly I can't give you an answer regarding a career path. I would come to either Edmonton or Calgary. Try to get my qualifications recognized, then go from there. You'll meet new people and start to network. From there you'll learn a lot about the country then start to decide which path you can go. As for which city to go, I'd go to Edmonton before Calgary. I feel there are more opportunities there. Calgary is more white collar. Edmonton more blue collar.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tombrook0: 9:13am On Jul 27, 2017
Pls which of this trade can you recommend for me to learn, in Nigeria before my exit and why.. .urgent response pls.

salford1:

There would always be shortage of trades professionals..Trade is very very good if you can get in. very few professional jobs pay close to $50 bucks an hour normal time... $50 is even classified as low wage for some specific trade. Some electricians make so much in the summer that they sometimes take the whole winter off. Some popular trades are now becoming competitive to get in nowadays as more people are realising how well they are compensated. if u can, get in asap...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oluwakontrol: 10:32am On Jul 27, 2017
Goodmorning to you all,have been following this thread for awhile now and honestly I appreciate the questions and responses have been seeing on this thread,they really are encouraging and helped a lot.
Please I just want to ask which province do I best fit in as a tradeperson in building construction( like: tilling,interlocking,and electric work). Also as GIS(geographic information system) professional,where can I work over there,though was thinking of starting as a tradeperson first and later continue to get more certificates on GIS over there cos naija certificate maynot be acknowledge there. Please any idea will do on which skilled jobs are common over there and their common province,to know how to diversify before coming over.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 12:42pm On Jul 27, 2017
Slowlybutsurely and babachi have u guys got ur passport back?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 1:49pm On Jul 27, 2017
Please what's the best network in terms of cheap Calls to Nigeria and some other points
PPardon the question if it sounds naive

Getting a sim in Canada is quite different from naija

@salford1 @maternal @TheCongo2
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 2:07pm On Jul 27, 2017
MummyJaygirls:
Slowlybutsurely and babachi have u guys got ur passport back?

Yes. 2 days ago after 6 weeks since AVO got it.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 2:19pm On Jul 27, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

shocked What medium did you use? DHL of VFS? Did they give a reason for the delay?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:30pm On Jul 27, 2017
oohunt:
Hello everyone.

@salford, you rock!!!!

@Ballerz

I have a few questions:

Would try my best to answer your questions.
Q1. Geologist/Geophysics is a regulated profession like Engineering, law, nursing, pharm, medicine e.t.c Their are bodies in provinces that regulates this profession.
Q2. There are lots of part time IT jobs. From what i have observed, a lot of IT jobs are usually contracted, hence you would often work with different coys.
Q3. Valid licenses are required. Last i heard was that the license must not be expired for more than a year. You can also get your abstract to back up your application..it could help reduce insurance rate. Best to get it renewed in the states before coming over. If that is impossible, you would find it very easy to pass a canadian driving test. similar road rules.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:39pm On Jul 27, 2017
Tombrook0:
Pls which of this trade can you recommend for me to learn, in Nigeria before my exit and why.. .urgent response pls.

In as much as trades are regulated here...alot of Nigerians have been able to transit into some trades like electrician and millwright by challenging the red seal exams, but the guys recording success are usually grads of polytechnics in Nigeria with some hands on experience.

There are lots of trades in Canada, best bet to get on google to get a list and check which one you think is exciting for you. Some men cant even change a light bulb, so electricity might not be an option..some dont have good hand to eye cordination, hence won't do well in carpentry or welding...lol.

Imo,welding, electrician(commercial, power systems, plt), instrumentation, plumbing, carpentry, millwright and sheet metal e.t.c are all good.

oluwakontrol:
Goodmorning to you all,have been following this thread for awhile now and honestly I appreciate the questions and responses have been seeing on this thread,they really are encouraging and helped a lot.
Please I just want to ask which province do I best fit in as a tradeperson in building construction( like: tilling,interlocking,and electric work). Also as GIS(geographic information system) professional,where can I work over there,though was thinking of starting as a tradeperson first and later continue to get more certificates on GIS over there cos naija certificate maynot be acknowledge there. Please any idea will do on which skilled jobs are common over there and their common province,to know how to diversify before coming over.
Trades are good across canada. In terms of construction, you might want to look at rapidly expanding cities/provinces or huge industrial areas.
GIS...The guys from my previous place of employment had degrees in geography or GIS, and some have a geomatics/surveying diploma.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 2:45pm On Jul 27, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

O boy! Atleast it's back. Congrats

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:58pm On Jul 27, 2017
Qadi:

And the basements too.

Hi, you can also research for your self to see real time rental prices at these sites for various kinds of accommodation in any city:

https://4rent.ca/

https://www.rentfaster.ca/

https://www.trovit.ca/

I actually found my apartment through the hard copy magazine of 4 rent.ca I picked up at a bus stop.

31 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:00pm On Jul 27, 2017
CanadianNurse:
Please what's the best network in terms of cheap Calls to Nigeria and some other points
PPardon the question if it sounds naive

Getting a sim in Canada is quite different from naija

@salford1 @maternal @TheCongo2

salford:

if you are going to stay within cities, freedom mobile/wind would be the cheapest option, but the network roams when you leave those cities; hence you might incure more cost...

Ekpekus:

But freedom/wind is wack.. go for chatr or kodo. Fido is also good

This would also depend on your home province...i find goverment owned networks in some provinces as cheap as freedom, chatr e.t.c also with better network coverage. If you would be doing a lot of work outside city limits...the next cheap options would be koodo, fido or virgin.

Concerning cheap calls to naija. i prefer skype but the current APC goverment introduced some sort of tax on international calls to Nigeria e.g a monthly subscription of 60mins went from around $3 to $10. People have preferences.. i still use skype as i dont call Africa often.

Hopefully...other posters on this thread can suggest more cheaper and convenient options.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 3:23pm On Jul 27, 2017
salford1:

This would also depend on your home province...i find goverment owned networks in some provinces as cheap as freedom, chatr e.t.c also with better network coverage. If you would be doing a lot of work outside city limits...the next cheap options would be koodo, fido or virgin.

Concerning cheap calls to naija. i prefer skype but the current APC goverment introduced some sort of tax on international calls to Nigeria e.g a monthly subscription of 60mins went from around $3 to $10. People have preferences.. i still use skype as i dont call Africa often.

Hopefully...other posters on this thread can suggest more cheaper and convenient options.
Calling home, I use Skype too as I pay $9 for 300 minutes per month.. Relatively cheaper

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 3:58pm On Jul 27, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, you can also research for your self to see real time rental prices at these sites for various kinds of accommodation in any city:

https://4rent.ca/

https://www.rentfaster.ca/

https://www.trovit.ca/

I actually found my apartment through the hard copy magazine of 4 rent.ca I picked up at a bus stop.

Bros, please I am still waiting for your response via email. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:28pm On Jul 27, 2017
Ekpekus:

Calling home, I use Skype too as I pay $9 for 300 minutes per month.. Relatively cheaper
You are getting a better deal...i thought it was $9.50 per month for 60min.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:40pm On Jul 27, 2017
For new PR's.....

Just drove off to see my mechanic for an off-warranty maintenance work. For all those types of job...i usually drive 30min away to a shop in NE Calgary... i wanted a change, so I called shop located 5min from home to get a quote. I wanted to replace a timing belt, serpentine belt and oil change. i got a quote of $900 .. ,i quickly called my regular shop in NE, and they offered to do the same job for $600. $300 savings! It's always nice to call around for quotes to get a good deal.

Try to avoid mechanics that work in their garage from home. There are lots of them on kijiji. They would charge very low but your car might be butchered, and you wont be under the cover of consumer protection agencies.

20 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2017
This little guy came to say hello while i was getting maintenance done.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:53pm On Jul 27, 2017
Calgary is very hot now...a 2 customers came to recharge their AC within a space of 40min. These guys charge between $40-60 dollars for recharge.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:00pm On Jul 27, 2017
If you are in Calgary and searching for where to buy goat meat, shaki, bokoto, tongue, hard chicken, assorted fish e.t.c. These can also be purchased here at Mcknight. Apart from mechanic shops, there are halal butcher shops and Asian groceries stores. Stuffs like ata rodo and ewedu can be found in Asian stores. All the stores in these mall(probably close to 100) are owned by south Asians.

24 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Iamsheye(m): 5:03pm On Jul 27, 2017
salford1:
If you are in Calgary and searching for where to buy goat meat, shaki, bokoto, tongue, hard chicken, assorted fish e.t.c. These can also be purchased here at Mcknight. Apart from mechanic shops, there are halal butcher shops and Asian groceries stores. Stuffs like ata rodo and ewedu can be found in Asian stores. All the stores in these mall(probably close to 100) are owned by south Asians.
been waiting for these pictures just keep them coming

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.