Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:26 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (353) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979356 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 10:45pm On Aug 18, 2018
agates:

Thanks the flight is routed this way. Nigeria to Paris to Amsterdam to Calgary. Will I still need one
Check with your airline, you may need a transit visa . I recently saw a flight that has 2 changes at Amsterdam and Paris and it was clearly stated that you need a transit visa. (It may be that you would have to change airports in Paris).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bellniki1: 10:48pm On Aug 18, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 10:53pm On Aug 18, 2018
@agates, the rule is that once you are passing through 2 schengen countries you need a visa. It doesn't matter if you are transiting or not. With Ethiopian airlines, Dublin is in Ireland so this does not apply. Best bet is to apply for a transit visa or get a route that only transits in 1 schengen country.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 10:54pm On Aug 18, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Hi Vcole,
Thanks for your reply to this.
I have completed postgraduate training and verified my credentials. I plan to come to Canada to pursue the independent practice as a Family Physician. What exactly do I need to do. Can you please advice me.
I am unable to offer any advice about this pathway. Your best bet would be to read up each province's rules and guidelines for independent practice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bellniki1: 10:57pm On Aug 18, 2018
vcole:
@agates, the rule is that once you are passing through 2 schengen countries you need a visa. It doesn't matter if you are transiting or not. With Ethiopian airlines, Dublin is in Ireland so this does not apply. Best bet is to apply for a transit visa or get a route that only transits in 1 schengen country.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 11:00pm On Aug 18, 2018
mzjennypher:
Hello house great job here. I have read people talk about drivers license and all but no one is talking about people like me that dnt know how to drive.how or what are the steps to learn n get a drivers license there. sadPls epp
hi. If you read the drivers manual for your province you should get more info. The way it works in Alberta for instance would be that you take the written road test and pass then get issued a class 7 license. This is the equivalent of a Nigerian learner's permit. You stay on a class 7 for 1yr (i think or maybe 2? Not sure) and can only drive with a class 5 holder seated in the front passenger seat. After 1 yr, you take the basic road test and if you pass you get issued a class 5 GDL license. With this, you can't have any alcohol in your system at all when driving and can't drive between midnight and 5am (or 6am?) and can't carry more passengers in your car than the number of seatbelts (or sumn like that). You stay on class 5 gdl for 2yrs and as long as you get no demerits and stuff, after that you take the advanced road test and get a class 5 license.

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 11:38pm On Aug 18, 2018
agates:

Thanks the flight is routed this way. Nigeria to Paris to Amsterdam to Calgary. Will I still need one

You'll definitely need a transit visa if you go with this route. Perhaps look for an alternative connection that does not require Paris to Amsterdam transfer.

Looks like you're trying to make the booking with Air France, but if you go with KLM direct, you can go Lagos to Amsterdam to Calgary.

If you want to stick with Air France, look for the options that connect Lagos to Paris through Vancouver (or Toronto or Montreal) to Calgary.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 12:30am On Aug 19, 2018
vcole:

Thanks will just get look for other options.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 12:34am On Aug 19, 2018
A555:

You'll definitely need a transit visa if you go with this route. Perhaps look for an alternative connection that does not require Paris to Amsterdam transfer.

Looks like you're trying to make the booking with Air France, but if you go with KLM direct, you can go Lagos to Amsterdam to Calgary.

If you want to stick with Air France, look for the options that connect Lagos to Paris through Vancouver (or Toronto or Montreal) to Calgary.

Thanks you are right it's air France. Unfortunately even Klm is that way flying out from Abuja. There's one that's Paris to Vancouver then to Calgary will explore that. Just a quick question does that mean the paper work for my PR card and SIN number will be done at Vancouver despite the fact that Calgary is my final destination.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 12:43am On Aug 19, 2018
vcole:

So technically if I have a stop in Frankfurt and Heathrow it should not apply although Lufthansa on its on site says transiting through two countries in Europe requires a visa. I also got confused when I saw that cos London is Europe even though not schengen .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 2:29am On Aug 19, 2018
agates:

Thanks you are right it's air France. Unfortunately even Klm is that way flying out from Abuja. There's one that's Paris to Vancouver then to Calgary will explore that. Just a quick question does that mean the paper work for my PR card and SIN number will be done at Vancouver despite the fact that Calgary is my final destination.

Landing formalities will be done at the port of entry, in this case Vancouver. This is PR card application only. This is no big deal as the entry officer just asks you to provide your address for the card to be mailed to. Loads of people, including myself, arrive in one province while catching a connecting flight to another and there's absolutely no issue doing this.

You do not have to apply for your SIN until you get into Calgary. You don't even have to do it at the airport. You can go to any Service Canada location in town for that.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A555: 2:49am On Aug 19, 2018
agates:

So technically if I have a stop in Frankfurt and Heathrow it should not apply although Lufthansa on its on site says transiting through two countries in Europe requires a visa. I also got confused when I saw that cos London is Europe even though not schengen .

If you connect from Frankfurt to Heathrow, you'll need a UK visa. Not Schengen.

The connections you're coming up with are not what I would normally expect. If you are looking at passing through Frankfurt, I assume you're looking at booking via Lufthansa, and Lufthansa should connect you direct to Calgary from Frankfurt in an Air Canada aircraft.

Unless there's something you have planned for Europe, you can look at the same airlines you're considering, but avoid options that include transit through a second European country.

By the way, you also need a US visa if you consider any of the options transiting through US cities.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by koonlay5: 2:53am On Aug 19, 2018
Not true sir/ma.

Gabzi28:
you can only renew your licence when it less than four weeks to expiry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by primeson1(m): 5:40am On Aug 19, 2018
primeson1:
Please who has imported food to Canada before... I want to know how much tax and duty it cost in Canada.

Please anyone?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 7:06am On Aug 19, 2018
primeson1:
Please who has imported food to Canada before... I want to know how much tax and duty it cost in Canada.

For personal use or business?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:08am On Aug 19, 2018
vcole:
hi. If you read the drivers manual for your province you should get more info. The way it works in Alberta for instance would be that you take the written road test and pass then get issued a class 7 license. This is the equivalent of a Nigerian learner's permit. You stay on a class 7 for 1yr (i think or maybe 2? Not sure) and can only drive with a class 5 holder seated in the front passenger seat. After 1 yr, you take the basic road test and if you pass you get issued a class 5 GDL license. With this, you can't have any alcohol in your system at all when driving and can't drive between midnight and 5am (or 6am?) and can't carry more passengers in your car than the number of seatbelts (or sumn like that). You stay on class 5 gdl for 2yrs and as long as you get no demerits and stuff, after that you take the advanced road test and get a class 5 license.
I Vcole thanks for your assistance here, I have a drivers license that expired in February 2018. I saw a post here sometimes that says we can apply for a drivers license in Canada with an expired Nigerian license, I am not keen on driving here in Nigeria before landing in Canada.

Can I just bring that over to Canada next year and use it to apply for a driving license ?Is there any problem with that ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 7:23am On Aug 19, 2018
A555:

If you connect from Frankfurt to Heathrow, you'll need a UK visa. Not Schengen.

The connections you're coming up with are not what I would normally expect. If you are looking at passing through Frankfurt, I assume you're looking at booking via Lufthansa, and Lufthansa should connect you direct to Calgary from Frankfurt in an Air Canada aircraft.

Unless there's something you have planned for Europe, you can look at the same airlines you're considering, but avoid options that include transit through a second European country.

By the way, you also need a US visa if you consider any of the options transiting through US cities.

Thanks once again. I will go through the Vancouver route. Unfortunately the Lufthansa Abuja route have these connections for the flights with the shortest layover. The one that goes from Frankfurt directly to Calgary has an 8 hour layover in Frankfurt. Was looking for ways to avoid that long wait. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adesbaba: 9:19am On Aug 19, 2018
Our ogas

How easy is it building a career in the banking industry over there ...from entry Level to becoming a senior manager ...for a guy under 28

Must I live in Toronto to work in toronto
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:37am On Aug 19, 2018
A staff in one of the license offices gave me a different information.I specifically asked and he said there was no rule against it.
Gabzi28:
you can only renew your licence when it less than four weeks to expiry
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tolz451: 10:42am On Aug 19, 2018
@VCole I sent you a PM fee weeks back. Kindly respond. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 1:42pm On Aug 19, 2018
Newmum0615:
A staff in one of the license offices gave me a different information.I specifically asked and he said there was no rule against it.

Technically you actually can't apply before a certain time frame to expiry... The website will refuse to accept your application to renew (error: this license is still valid)
I've never tested to know the exact threshold but I think officially it's six weeks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mzjennypher(f): 1:50pm On Aug 19, 2018
vcole:
@vcole thanks for this detailed explanation.i hope to land in Ontario tho
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by loudlumi: 2:15pm On Aug 19, 2018
Please do not book that flight, I made the same mistake 4 weeks ago and luckily later got to know that a visa would be required when I visited lufthansa's office. I've had to book another flight for next month when I was supposed to land on the 23rd of August.
If you book it you would need a regular schengen visa not a transit visa. As travel between 2 schengen states is deemed a local flight.
Best wishes.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:21pm On Aug 19, 2018
nikkycool:
I really wish to hear about Regina from someone like you.I things about the city from Nigerian point of view.Hopefully looking forward to settling there very soon all things been equal.Thanks.
Regina is a nice city easy to settle in. Not more or less special than other major canadian city. What matters is your ability to adapt to new environment and being focused

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2018
loudlumi:
Please do not book that flight, I made the same mistake 4 weeks ago and luckily later got to know that a visa would be required when I visited lufthansa's office. I've had to book another flight for next month when I was supposed to land on the 23rd of August.
If you book it you would need a regular schengen visa not a transit visa. As travel between 2 schengen states is deemed a local flight.
Best wishes.

Thanks. Please I sent you a DM
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by overcomer296: 7:34pm On Aug 19, 2018
Hereforthistoo:
Hello @overcomer296, tried sending you a message earlier. Do you mind connecting with me please.

I sent a reply. U can email me overcomer296@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nikkycool(f): 8:43pm On Aug 19, 2018
Akeelah10:
Regina is a nice city easy to settle in. Not more or less special than other major canadian city. What matters is your ability to adapt to new environment and being focused
Thank you for the reply and for lifting my spirit.Hoping and praying for God's speedy intervention in process so as to meet someday over there.Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:51am On Aug 20, 2018
nikkycool:
Thank you for the reply and for lifting my spirit.Hoping and praying for God's speedy intervention in process so as to meet someday over there.Thanks agkain.
uw
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gabzi28: 1:10am On Aug 20, 2018
Newmum0615:
a nigerian drivers licence can only be renewed when its less that 30days to expiry unless its a reissue which is done when your licence is missing
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gabzi28: 1:12am On Aug 20, 2018
Tojued:

Technically you actually can't apply before a certain time frame to expiry... The website will refuse to accept your application to renew (error: this license is still valid)
I've never tested to know the exact threshold but I think officially it's six weeks.
its less than 30days

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nekdr: 5:57am On Aug 20, 2018
vcole:
have you checked rentfaster.ca and kijiji.ca? Those are the go to sites for accomodation in Calgary. Contact landlords and schedule viewings. There aren't a lotta places available this time of year as most leases expire in spring but if you keep searching you'll find. Also consider being willing to offer paying a couple of months' rent in advance for landlords who may be skeptical about taking on new immigrants as tenants.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 6:03am On Aug 20, 2018
Hmm. So do you think it's a possibility that if someone requests for a reissue, the old one would be cancelled on their system?
Gabzi28:
a nigerian drivers licence can only be renewed when its less that 30days to expiry unless its a reissue which is done when your licence is missing

(1) (2) (3) ... (350) (351) (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.