Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:34 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (358) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979119 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:58pm On Aug 26, 2018
Reasonabledoubt:

Na wa o. What if I’m on a budget and I don’t want to?

Will it affect the level of service I receive the next time I go there?
Using a restaurant as an exsmple, when you don't tip, the server might feel there was something wrong with your meal or the service you were offered. It could be embarrassing to your colleagues as well if you were in groups and one of them might end up paying your tip to save face.

Imo, if tipping wasn't part of the culture, there might be shortage of workers in the food industry. Some restaurant staff in big cities could make up to a thousand bucks per week just on tips.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by threadstone(m): 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2018

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:43pm On Aug 26, 2018
coconuthead:
Hello house.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to making this thread informative to all of us.

I'd like to know how this short landing stuff works. I'm looking to do short landing and use the time to secure accommodation, get a school for the kids, enrol my spouse in school and return to Nigeria to continue work for sometime before joining them finally. However my office won't give me more than 5 weeks. Can I achieve all these within 5 weeks? Also if I'm unable to get my PR card (I understand it takes about 12 weeks) before returning to Nigeria, what will happen to my PR status.

5 weeks is more than enough time if you start doing your research before you land. My cousin got his PR card within 5 to 6 weeks. I wouldn't go back until I physically have the PR card in my hand. Call your job and make an excuse and stay longer if you have too. What will happen to your PR status. You'd be a PR in the system, but what you could use to re-enter the country you'd have to inquire the appropriate gov't agency. I wouldn't take anyone's word here on it. Go to the Canadian embassy direct and ask if you have too. Something like this you can't afford to do he/she said. On another note, while everyone is in a hurry to leave naija, I've been reading about a lot of "soft landing", while returning to Nigeria "to continue work for sometime before joining them finally". I have seen marriages break after such a plan. People are delaying the inevitable I feel, especially men.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:45pm On Aug 26, 2018
salford1:

Yes. It's on top of the hst, pst or gst or whatever tax is applicable. While tipping is not mandatory, it has become a norm or culture when you eat out (not fastfood), take a taxi, buy drinks at pubs or order food for home delivery. I can't remember giving tips outside these four services. Some people also leave tips in their hotel rooms for the cleaners.

When you are handed the pos terminal, you would have an option of adding an amount or % to your bill; however, some restaurants (fine dining) would automatically add a tip of 15% or more to your bill. When you also go out in groups, some restaurant would automatically add a tip to your individual or total bill.

For aslong as I can remember, every member of my team at work tips anytime we eat out, and we eat out a lot.

Thought Ontario was 13 percent hst.. anyways Alberta is 5 and tipping is just courtesy.. if u can afford to eat in a fancy restaurant u can afford to eat 15 percent if $20 is $3 . Just saying grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:48pm On Aug 26, 2018
threadstone:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/08/25/conservatives-birthright-citizenship_a_23509388/

Conservatives

The Cons are just desperate for attention in a party in shambles. Nothing to see here really.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 5:00pm On Aug 26, 2018
Fusion23:

Thought Ontario was 13 percent hst.. anyways Alberta is 5 and tipping is just courtesy.. if u can afford to eat in a fancy restaurant u can afford to eat 15 percent if $20 is $3 . Just saying grin
Gbam.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Santino1(m): 5:23pm On Aug 26, 2018
Cherokee:
@Santino1...I can relate to the issue of struggling to integrate.Thank you for sharing. All the best.

Sure. All the best to you too.

GlitteringStar:

Now in Cannyland. smiley

Cool. All the best.

threadstone:
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/08/25/conservatives-birthright-citizenship_a_23509388/

Conservatives

Why are the conservatives trying so desperately to lose the next election?

Fusion23:

Sometimes it's not about being able to afford it or not. I am against tipping (as it is in North America) as a matter of personal principle not because I can't afford it.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coconuthead(m): 5:29pm On Aug 26, 2018
maternal:

5 weeks is more than enough time if you start doing your research before you land. My cousin got his PR card within 5 to 6 weeks. I wouldn't go back until I physically have the PR card in my hand. Call your job and make an excuse and stay longer if you have too. What will happen to your PR status. You'd be a PR in the system, but what you could use to re-enter the country you'd have to inquire the appropriate gov't agency. I wouldn't take anyone's word here on it. Go to the Canadian embassy direct and ask if you have too. Something like this you can't afford to do he/she said. On another note, while everyone is in a hurry to leave naija, I've been reading about a lot of "soft landing", while returning to Nigeria "to continue work for sometime before joining them finally". I have seen marriages break after such a plan. People are delaying the inevitable I feel, especially men.

Well said. Nice to know PR card can be sorted in 6 weeks.

� @ returning to naija to continue work.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Santino1(m): 5:31pm On Aug 26, 2018
coconuthead:

Well said. Nice to know PR card can be sorted in 6 weeks.

� @ returning to naija to continue work.

I got my PR card approved in less than 3 weeks (18 days to be precise) so you might also get lucky.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adel3951: 5:35pm On Aug 26, 2018
Hello everyone please help me o,i need accomodation in regina, i have been payn 68$ everynight at an hotel around, pls I need accomodation asap,kindly please help a sister. Thanks everyone

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 6:47pm On Aug 26, 2018
Newbeecey:
Is it possible for the principal applicant to go ahead first and start sorting out school registration and other stuff first before dependants land? The school registration is my main focus please

Sure. But school registration doesn't take time. Register on one day and start school the next day or 2
depending on which region you are and what school board. They need the kids to be around so they will just postpone the registration till kids are around.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by prost80(m): 7:32pm On Aug 26, 2018
einsteino:
Hello Engineers in the house. Pls, I have converted my ECA to WES ICAP, I am about submitting my application to APEGA. I am torn between applying for EIT or P.Eng. I have a B.Eng and more than the required 4years work experience, which according to APEGA's website, makes me eligible to apply for P.Eng.

However I am not certain if they wouldn't strike a number of years off the experience, seeing that I don't have any Canadian experience or Canadian Degree. Also, from Job Postings, I noticed in the abscence of a P.Eng License, I am left with no choice than to apply for Junior/Entry level Jobs and these usually require one to be registered as an EIT.

Please what do y'all think? Do I take the gamble with the P.Eng or start off with EIT?

cc: Ehrnie, A555, Salford, Santino1, dogood123456, dupyshoo

Hello einsteino,

I am also in a similar situation. I have more than the 4 years experience but I dont have the required Canadian Experience. I started the application, and it automatically picked Foreign Licensee.. Please is this any better or should i just apply for EIT and after the 1 year experience reapply for P.Eng...

Please I am confused
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 7:59pm On Aug 26, 2018
Santino1:

Sure. All the best to you too.

Cool. All the best.

Why are the conservatives trying so desperately to lose the next election?

Sometimes it's not about being able to afford it or not. I am against tipping (as it is in North America) as a matter of personal principle not because I can't afford it.

Fair enough..its like a norm in the country , I said it shows courtesy also ..however its not a must and no one shout at you
if you do not pay it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 26, 2018
Santino1:

Cool. All the best.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by balogunsam(m): 9:17pm On Aug 26, 2018
NeyofeedNigEnt:

I have used them for so many times!!!!
You will definitely enjoy Cairo - Canada
But Lagos - Cairo forget it no fun too boring, old and small aircraft.

Hello. Can i send you a PM please? We intend landing on Toronto soon and would appreicate any tips or guidance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 10:22pm On Aug 26, 2018
Ohh seen. Thanks
XX01:

Sure. But school registration doesn't take time. Register on one day and start school the next day or 2
depending on which region you are and what school board. They need the kids to be around so they will just postpone the registration till kids are around.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by NeyofeedNigEnt: 10:59pm On Aug 26, 2018
balogunsam:

Hello. Can i send you a PM please? We intend landing on Toronto soon and would appreicate any tips or guidance.

Sure you can but right now I'm in Nigeria but I will be back to Toronto third week of September
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by GFavor: 11:36pm On Aug 26, 2018
tobey2ng:

There is something called LOE. I expected you to used this during the filling of your LAA application, it is obvious you are novice about it. I will respond to your ADR as they come;
1. You will have to draw a family chart that connect you to your supporter to indicate his a first cousin. You have to get death certificate for your mum bearing maiden and marriage names, your aunt can get attestation of age at NPC office make sure this is done in her maiden name, supporter birth certificate is needed as well including yours and try to get NPC attestation of age for yourself too. You can attach pictures involving all these people if you have them or the one with you and your supporter
2. Ideally, you can't live far from your supporter because the reason for getting supporter is to make you settle easily. Write LOE and explain the way you just did here. Try to be remorse in your tone of writing to show your naivety about the process. Let your supporter write a letter that you knew about his location after the submission of your application. He should signed and date it. He can scan and send it to you.
I believe you should be fine with all these. Best of luck. Please brief us the outcome.

Hello Toby2ng, thanks for replying to my post.
Can we say filling Winnipeg was an error and we tried to correct it when submitting the LAA. Or say we didn't know initially where his cousin was. But this may raise eyebrows, how can one declare he has a cousin and don't know where she leaves. Kindly advice pls.
Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Demiyike: 12:27am On Aug 27, 2018
threadstone:

Conservatives

This is not about the conservatives there is already a petition in the house of commons about this that was introduced by a liberal party member.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1527

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by phf2be: 7:55am On Aug 27, 2018
Hello friends, I'll like to know if I should expect an acknowledgement from FRSC after sending my request for Authentication Letter or they'll just contact me when it's ready? Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 8:17am On Aug 27, 2018
Bonjour house (this greeting should work regardless of timezone smiley). Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

Cost aside, is it really difficult getting a spot in daycare? Calgary to be specific.

I'm seeing news articles of 600 names on waiting list, etc. (mostly ontario sha). If this is the case, will it ever be possible to take advantage of Alberta's new $25 a day ELCC centres?

I prefer proper daycare because the boy is already in KG1 here. Abi do dayhomes have early learning programmes too? In my mind I see them as equivalent of creche here (eat and sleep) But na the ELCC still win am sha, because even with the daily cap, day care subsidies still apply. Meaning you might get to pay almost zero for daycare at the end of the day.

@primeson1, @vcole, @A555, @nekdr, @obeledu, @salford, @salford1, Aka2003, walexlo78, hifyty, @maternal, @oohunt, @hustler, gentleiphy, edababa007, wengerly, KW01, @SOTAJ, @osemigho, @nadina, @vieve111, @daremum, @TBDL @Tone23 @dfanz @wura27

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 9:01am On Aug 27, 2018
Hello house

I will like to know if there is any Medical Laboratory Technologist here. I want to know if there are bridging programs that won't last more than one year that I can do to qualify me for the CSMLS certification.

Or if there alternate careers I can do, I won't mind. My prospective province of destination is Saskatchewan, Saskatoon or Regina.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 9:51am On Aug 27, 2018
@Newmum0615, you have got mail Click here to open in Yahoo grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:26am On Aug 27, 2018
Preparing ain't we? wink
Tojued:
Bonjour house (this greeting should work regardless of timezone smiley). Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

Cost aside, is it really difficult getting a spot in daycare? Calgary to be specific.

I'm seeing news articles of 600 names on waiting list, etc. (mostly ontario sha). If this is the case, will it ever be possible to take advantage of Alberta's new $25 a day ELCC centres?

I prefer proper daycare because the boy is already in KG1 here. Abi do dayhomes have early learning programmes too? In my mind I see them as equivalent of creche here (eat and sleep) But na the ELCC still win am sha, because even with the daily cap, day care subsidies still apply. Meaning you might get to pay almost zero for daycare at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 10:26am On Aug 27, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Yaf carry your craze and reach my side.
smslive2:
@Newmum0615, you have got mail Click here to open in Yahoo grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lalaska(m): 10:41am On Aug 27, 2018
overcomer296:

You can change from your GBP to CAN in naija. Very well. Just ask those BDC guys. I see CAN all the time
Be careful with those BDC guys. If you get USD from the banks, you can easily convert to CAD here.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lalaska(m): 10:43am On Aug 27, 2018
phf2be:
Hello friends, I'll like to know if I should expect an acknowledgement from FRSC after sending my request for Authentication Letter or they'll just contact me when it's ready? Thanks.
They sent me an email when mine was ready.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by phf2be: 10:54am On Aug 27, 2018
Lalaska:

They sent me an email when mine was ready.
Okay. Thank you Lalaska
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 12:00pm On Aug 27, 2018
Your people are sending you DM grin grin
Newmum0615:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Yaf carry your craze and reach my side.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ysteph: 12:05pm On Aug 27, 2018
We plenty when go carry crase come meet you here. Better report to the other room.
Now you've made me post comment here when I never graduate reach here.
Newmum0615:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 12:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
No be small DM o. Always happy to help jare. Keeps me going. How's your application coming up?
smslive2:
Your people are sending you DM grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2018
Yeeeh! They haf catch me o.

Graduate wetin? Me wey come this thread before LVO receive sense send PPR. Better buy your plot of land early.
ysteph:
We plenty when go carry crase come meet you here. Better report to the other room.
Now you've made me post comment here when I never graduate reach here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.