Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (382) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979981 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 6:58am On Sep 21, 2018
Thanks for this

salford:

based on my experience here. i cant answer all as i dont know the answer.
1. All over Canada. Luck and opportunity really dictates how fast you can find some jobs. Location would matter too. Some jobs are just non existent in some areas while you would find in others.

2. smaller provinces and cities are usually cheaper to live in. Mla jobs would be less competitive in smaller cities than bigger cities. i met a Palestinian man some years ago in a very small city in saskatchewan. His family lives in toronto. I asked him why he was in that small city. His answer was that MLT jobs were highly competitive in the big city and he could not get a job.

3. Easy if you have a strong cgpa usually from your last two years of UNi. I mean it has to be very strong as you would be in competition with studenta from all over the world.

4. That would be Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia in that order.

5. i lost contact with the palestinian man.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sontelme: 8:30am On Sep 21, 2018
Thank you
salford1:

You can change program, but it won't be a bad idea to contact the nursing school. Most if not all nursing programs in Canada would have a waitlist that could be atleast 1 year long. Some won't even accept non-PRs or non-Citizens for admissions due to the popularity of nursing programs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godisincontrol: 8:42am On Sep 21, 2018
salford1:

Lucrative blue collar jobs are usually in the trades(powerline techs, electricians, plumbers, millwrights etc) or similar to trades e.g power and process operators, civil technicians, non destructive testing technicians, field operators, pipeline testers e.t.c
Just to give you an example, our wages were posted to the internet this week. I work in government so they post our wages every september. Engineers earned btw 60k and 120k depending on experience. Technologists earned between 85k to 150k. Engineering managers earned circa 160k last year (over 14 years experience), electricians earned circa 140 to 160k (1 to 3 years experience). Power and process operators, 1 year experience and above (150k up to 200k).

However; unskilled blue collar would pay much lower than the quoted figure. When i worked unskilled labour in calgary, i was only earning $18.50 bucks an hour. If i moved to alberta when the oil sand was booming, it was easy to make 100k as an unskilled labour, but those days are gone.

To qualify as civil technician - one or two years civil technician certificate at a polytechnic like nait/sait/bcit

Ndt - certificates from nait/saits

Electrician- usually a four year program with 3 months spent in school per year.

Power and process - 1 or 2 years certificate or diploma

Field operators - gas and field operators certificates

Pipelines - Nace corrosion certificates

Etc

Some Nigerians with Ond/hnd qualifications have been able to become electricians, welders. millwrights, intrumentation techs e.t.c by succesfully challenging the red seal exams. Met a few when i worked in field related roles.

Thank you for the above.

Please what would you advise one who doesn't have a background in the sciences and is looking for a career change to do? This is with regards to the jobs you listed. How does one meet entry requirements to gain admission to study them especially as a mature student?

How does one become an apprentice/get an employer to understudy with as I see it's one of the requirements in some trades

Also is it advisable to take study loans to cover part of the education cost as most of the programs are full time and in class.

One more thing, what are the not so lucrative blue collar jobs available that one can do to make ends meet while pursuing these certifications?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Santino1(m): 9:24am On Sep 21, 2018
Guitarlife:
hI team , I have decided to lodge in an hostel , read it again HOSTEL not hotel for 8 days of first landing.
Its cheap and I think I can easily make some good friends, any body have any experience on this ?

I am planning to land in Toronto, any thing I need to take note of ?

Please can I pack my guitar along or its better to buy another when I get to canada ?
Am I allowed to carry drugs like paracetamol, antimalaria, vitamin c etc ?

Please hellp a brother, I have never been outside of the shore of this our great country Nigeria grin grin grin grin

As a caveat, my experiences with hostels were mostly when I was a low budget traveller.

You are right that hostels are cheap and you can easily make new friends but there are some things you should bear in mind. I am assuming you are planning to land as a PR so you should be aware that you can't use your hostel address for your landing formalities. Also, I don't know how much you care about your privacy and personal space because you certainly won't be getting any of that at a hostel.

As per landing in Toronto, people have shared numerous landing experiences here so I won't belabour the point.

It's up to you. It depends if the Guitar has any sentimental value to you not. If not you can easily get a cheap guitar on Kijiji although you might have to tune it to your satisfaction. However, if you want to transport yours you have to check with your airline because sometime they are transported as "special equipments" like ski and snowboards depending on the airline.

I believe you can transport your medicines. I would make sure I have the prescriptions though if I were you.

Good luck with your landing.

cannybound:
Nice pics @santino1. In which city have you settled?

I am back in Switzerland to see out my contract and officially de-register from the Country. I'll be settling permanently in Toronto in January

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 21, 2018
Santino1:

As a caveat, my experiences with hostels were mostly when I was a low budget traveller.

Thanks and out goes my guitar.......

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by modath(f): 10:29am On Sep 21, 2018
Fortissimo502:

cheesy how far

We are doing ok... & you? smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sconp: 10:59am On Sep 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

Dash me na embarassed
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 21, 2018
sconp:

Dash me na embarassed
I have 2 (an electric guitar bought brand new and never used and an premium acoustic guitar in working condition but delicately used over a couple of years).

You can make me a quote I might just give away the two at a price if your quote is reasonable, I could add my violin(complete with casing) on top free if you are a student grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 11:07am On Sep 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

Just remembered... there's virtually no place to keep your stuff in a hostel (shared room). Except you get a private room with only one or two beds, there's usually just a locker big enough for a small suitcase.

Maybe contact the hostel before hand and find out if they have a baggage room or extra storage space. Cos I assume as a relocating PR you'll have at least one large suitcase. Or make other arrangements for your stuff.

NB: you can't just leave your stuff lying around in a shared room, you lock them up in the locker to discourage theft. Think school hostel, then imagine that occupants are rootless travelers instead of rooted students... person fit just carry your bag middle of night waka comot.

PS: why do you have guitars that are 'delicately used'? You just dey buy them to fulfill your nairaland monker? grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 21, 2018
Tojued:

Just remembered... there's virtually no place to keep your stuff in a hostel (shared room). Except you get a private room with only one or two beds, there's usually just a locker big enough for a small suitcase.

Maybe contact the hostel before hand and find out if they have a baggage room or extra storage space. Cos I assume as a relocating PR you'll have at least one large suitcase. Or make other arrangements for your stuff.

NB: you can't just leave your stuff lying around in a shared room, you lock them up in the locker to discourage theft. Think school hostel, then imagine that occupants are rootless travelers instead of rooted students... person fit just carry your bag middle of night waka comot.

PS: why do you have guitars that are 'delicately used'? You just dey buy them to fulfill your nairaland monker? grin grin grin

I be naija guy na , I will go with chain and padlock to chain my two luggages to the bed. Then I will use the locker to keep my credentials and phone etc .
I don survive for Lagos so tell me where else I nor fit survive ? grin grin grin by the way most musical instruments are delicate and for a professional guitar player, you have different types of the same instrument to fulfill the different genre of music that exists

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sconp: 11:24am On Sep 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

I have 2 (an electric guitar bought brand new and never used and an premium acoustic guitar in working condition but delicately used over a couple of years).

You can make me a quote I might just give away the two at a price if your quote is reasonable, I could add my violin(complete with casing) on top free if you are a student grin grin
Oops this is much. Thought it was just one guitar.
What price point do u have in mind?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sconp: 11:25am On Sep 21, 2018
Tojued:

grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 21, 2018
sconp:

Please send me a mail at ayonaira@yahoo.com with your whatsap and I will chat you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by modath(f): 11:33am On Sep 21, 2018

Anyone in need of Canadian Dollars in CANADA, to bank, to pay rent, or for any sundry needs not exceeding $5k (for now) can message me ..TOTALLY LEGIT funds...(Kindly investigate my antecedent on this platform before making contact)

I'm active on the E currency thread in the business section......

WhatsApp link on Siggy...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sconp: 11:38am On Sep 21, 2018
Guitarlife:

Please send me a mail at ayonaira@yahoo.com with your whatsap and I will chat you.
WhatsApp number in my signature
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tisawa: 11:58am On Sep 21, 2018
Good job everyone,

Please an agent want to help I and my family with a work visa in Canada and promise us it is easy to change to resisdence permit when we get there, pls how through is this.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tisawa: 12:00pm On Sep 21, 2018
Good job everyone,

Please an agent want to help I and my family with a work visa in Canada, and promise is it is easy to change to resisdence permit when we get there, pls how true is this?

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 21, 2018
sconp:

WhatsApp number in my signature
grin grin grin na wah o, there is no way your quotation will not be higher now, you are tooo big to send a mail abi.
I will note that while preparing your proforma invoice grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 21, 2018
tisawa:
Good job everyone,

Please an agent want to help I and my family with a work visa in Canada, and promise is it is easy to change to resisdence permit when we get there, pls how true is this?

Thanks
scam please run.....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by agates: 12:22pm On Sep 21, 2018
Ethelia:

Hurray! Welcome and thanks be to God for a safe trip grin

Thanks sis.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 12:37pm On Sep 21, 2018
modath:

We are doing ok... & you? smiley

I de try jare...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by smslive2: 1:10pm On Sep 21, 2018
Buahahahahaha.... I am not laughing oo, something is in my mouth ni
Guitarlife:

You will be shocked that this thread is not like our express entry thread o. E get one querry wey I been dey push since almost 2 days now nobody gree look my side after plenty reminders.
grin grin grin grin

I miss the express entry thread sha, this place na all man for himsef shocked shocked shocked
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cheromel: 1:17pm On Sep 21, 2018
threadstone:

Hello sir
Don’t know about the hostel but for the guitar, once it can go through your baggage allowance, please carry it along. As for the drugs, feel free to pack as many as possible.

Below is my medical portfolio comprising various antibiotics, some dose of anti malaria, cold, vitamin c ati be be Lo.

Welcome to Canada. Seeing Doctor is Free, drugs? Maybe Not

Please did you carry a prescription for the medicines? I have been thinking of how I ll carry meds like antibiotics, antimalarial ,ventolin for my son, diclofenac tablets and some stomach meds like buscopan that will last for some months. I don't know weather to get prescription for them or just carry it in checkin luggage. I no want wahala.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:26pm On Sep 21, 2018
Fortissimo502:

You're so right. It's really different from the States in this aspect. I'm sure at least 50% of people in Canada have had to wear safety shoes and/or hi viz vest at least once in their life! The crazy thing is most of the jobs pay same or better than office work. It's like Canada is still in the industrial age. Reminds me of images of 20th century England with everyone working in factories and such.

Office jobs are overrated and these guys should get paid more than office jobs most of the times. But I think you're simplifying things. There's a reason for these things.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:49pm On Sep 21, 2018
Godisincontrol:

Thank you for the above.

Please what would you advise one who doesn't have a background in the sciences and is looking for a career change to do? This is with regards to the jobs you listed. How does one meet entry requirements to gain admission to study them especially as a mature student?

How does one become an apprentice/get an employer to understudy with as I see it's one of the requirements in some trades

Also is it advisable to take study loans to cover part of the education cost as most of the programs are full time and in class.

One more thing, what are the not so lucrative blue collar jobs available that one can do to make ends meet while pursuing these certifications?

Some of the jobs I listed do not require a science background. All you need is a grade 12 maths and English. They all have varying requirements. You czn check out admission requirements of Sait, Nait, Bcit, saskpoly, red river, George brown etc on their websites. Apprenticeship programs would even have a lower entry requirement (mostly grade 11-ss2). If you lack any requirement e.g science 20. you would be given the option of taking make up classes at a local college.

To get on an apprentice program, some are advertised e.g Enmax apprentice programs in Calgary while others are man- know-man or old boys club. However, if one moves to where the demand is, you can get on an apprenticeship without knowing anyone. Happened to someone i know. He was in Calgary for a longtime and could not get an employer to sponsor him for an apprenticeship. He moved to Grand Prairie for unskilled jobs due to the city's booming economy, but got handed a blue book (apprenticeship sponsorship) by his new employer a day after resumption.

Apprentices would not require loan. They get paid Employment Insurance for their 3months per year in School. However, technician programs would require you to be in school from 3 months to 2 years depending on the program so you would require student loan to cover living expenses.

You would find alot of blue collar jobs in most big cities. Engineering firms, factories, warehouse, industrial areas etc. Alot of them are labour intensive and full time. Might not be do easy combining the job with studies.

The below was enmax's advert for apprentices last month. Soon after they become jman, other companies like Epcor, fortis, atco etc would come for them by offering even higher wages.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rs172(m): 2:04pm On Sep 21, 2018
tisawa:
Good job everyone,

Please an agent want to help I and my family with a work visa in Canada and promise us it is easy to change to resisdence permit when we get there, pls how through is this.

Thanks

Wow I'll like to see the agent's work visa too ooo....

Na confam scam u dey see so
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2018
@Guitarlife. Why not an airbnb rather than a hostel?

sconp:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 4:06pm On Sep 21, 2018
Please how does one book Egypt air from naija.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 4:08pm On Sep 21, 2018
Please runnnnnnn for your life away from this 'agent'

tisawa:
Good job everyone,

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 21, 2018
emeify:
@Guitarlife. Why not an airbnb rather than a hostel?

Money, hostel is cheaper.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Godisincontrol: 5:14pm On Sep 21, 2018
salford1:

Some of the jobs I listed do not require a science background. All you need is a grade 12 maths and English. They all have varying requirements. You czn check out admission requirements of Sait, Nait, Bcit, saskpoly, red river, George brown etc on their websites. Apprenticeship programs would even have a lower entry requirement (mostly grade 11-ss2). If you lack any requirement e.g science 20. you would be given the option of taking make up classes at a local college.

To get on an apprentice program, some are advertised e.g Enmax apprentice programs in Calgary while others are man- know-man or old boys club. However, if one moves to where the demand is, you can get on an apprenticeship without knowing anyone. Happened to someone i know. He was in Calgary for a longtime and could not get an employer to sponsor him for an apprenticeship. He moved to Grand Prairie for unskilled jobs due to the city's booming economy, but got handed a blue book (apprenticeship sponsorship) by his new employer a day after resumption.

Apprentices would not require loan. They get paid Employment Insurance for their 3months per year in School. However, technician programs would require you to be in school from 3 months to 2 years depending on the program so you would require student loan to cover living expenses.

You would find alot of blue collar jobs in most big cities. Engineering firms, factories, warehouse, industrial areas etc. Alot of them are labour intensive and full time. Might not be do easy combining the job with studies.

The below was enmax's advert for apprentices last month. Soon after they become jman, other companies like Epcor, fortis, atco etc would come for them by offering even higher wages.

OK boss, thanks a lot. Will research further

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2018
Mr Salford,

I have the experience of 7years power engineer, any assistance

salford1:

Lucrative blue collar jobs are usually in the trades(powerline techs, electricians, plumbers, millwrights etc) or similar to trades e.g power and process operators, civil technicians, non destructive testing technicians, field operators, pipeline testers e.t.c
Just to give you an example, our wages were posted to the internet this week. I work in government so they post our wages every september. Engineers earned btw 60k and 120k depending on experience. Technologists earned between 85k to 150k. Engineering managers earned circa 160k last year (over 14 years experience), electricians earned circa 140 to 160k (1 to 3 years experience). Power and process operators, 1 year experience and above (150k up to 200k).

However; unskilled blue collar would pay much lower than the quoted figure. When i worked unskilled labour in calgary, i was only earning $18.50 bucks an hour. If i moved to alberta when the oil sand was booming, it was easy to make 100k as an unskilled labour, but those days are gone.

To qualify as civil technician - one or two years civil technician certificate at a polytechnic like nait/sait/bcit

Ndt - certificates from nait/saits

Electrician- usually a four year program with 3 months spent in school per year.

Power and process - 1 or 2 years certificate or diploma

Field operators - gas and field operators certificates

Pipelines - Nace corrosion certificates

Etc

Some Nigerians with Ond/hnd qualifications have been able to become electricians, welders. millwrights, intrumentation techs e.t.c by succesfully challenging the red seal exams. Met a few when i worked in field related roles.

(1) (2) (3) ... (379) (380) (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.