Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (384) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976454 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:16am On Sep 23, 2018
maternal:

Well said. The inflated salaries in Alberta has definitely increased the national averages. But lastly, people who recently came from naija are surprised when a "laborer" is earning more than an engineer. Salaries here are determined by different means, not by if you have a fancy degree or not.

just surprised? I would say I am stupefied cheesy

I really would like to know all the details of that "different means". My interest is to go where the money is, or at least where the pay is commensurate to the stress and challenge. Title and status is not my turf. I wasn't born an Engineer, I chose to be, so I can as well choose to redeploy my skill set and energy to an alternative career, even retrain, if it turns out to be more rewarding.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:31am On Sep 23, 2018
einsteino:

Thanks so much for the reply. I would like to ask:

2. by 12 hours week, do you mean they work for 12hours a day, all through the week(12 hours for 7days) shocked ?

4. It would seem even when they do get the P.Eng, their salary only increases to what some other sectors earn after 2 years experience.

5. Since Engineering management roles don't mean more money, why do people care to take on more responsibility? do they do it just for the passion? or does it offer a better work-life balance?

I had hoped to continue in consulting engineering, but I am beginning to think what is the point? it is a life of stress, mandatory continuous professional devt and now less money.

2. 12hrs day, and a 4 days/wk = 48hrs per week. Accepting an extra day of work (i.e 12hrs of overtime) would ensure atleast a total of 60hrs/week.
For those on 8hrs day and a 5days/wk, workers would add atleast 1hr OT before start and 3hrs OT after close making total of 60hrs/week too.
Note: OT in the tech/Engineering are mostly double the current hourly rate.

4. Salary are usually fixed monthly and often based on promotions.

-Some for the passion
-for some, mom and pop told them that's the way to go
-some for the title
-some drank the cool aid
-Some just want to earn a living wage
etc

Every one gets a good work life balance.
Techs often times need mandatory professional development too depending on the type of job you fo or industry you work in.

Just a few examples
If you are in pipelines, your employer would push for Nace 1, 2 and 3
Welding Inspection: Welding inspector level 1, 2 and 3
Ndt: UT, MT, X-ray etc level 1, 2 and 3 or the API's for pipelines/pressure vessels
Power/stationary operators and engineers: 4th class, 3rd, 2nd, 1st.
Electric testing: Neta level 1, 2 and 3.
Civil techs: Concrete/Ashpalt certifications CCIL cat 0, 1, 2

Employers would often give a deadline to attain a certain level of competence or be sacked.

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mzjennypher(f): 11:55am On Sep 23, 2018
Trikings2000:

I think it is a good idea as it helps you make informed decisions on where to live. Getting a permanent apartment may not be so easy afterall for new immigrants, hence I think it gives one the time to sewrch for one while getting to study the environment. If u do get a job it also gives u the opportunity to settle close to your work area. I just booked an Airbnb apartment for 28days in Mississauga and will be landing on Nov 12.
Thanks I also just booked in Mississauga too wld be leaving 12th nov too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mzjennypher(f): 12:05pm On Sep 23, 2018
Pls house ow can I get a virtual number?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Merovingian: 12:38pm On Sep 23, 2018
mzjennypher:
Try freetone or textnow app, they come with a virtual number that allow you receive and make calls/sms. I use textnow for free, not sure of freetone fee.

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 23, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Hi, please get a new address for NL and send me a PM then I can try to assist with your questions for privacy reasons.

Just sent you a PM. Thank you so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mzjennypher(f): 3:33pm On Sep 23, 2018
Merovingian:

Try freetone or textnow app, they come with a virtual number that allow you receive and make calls/sms. I use textnow for free, not sure of freetone fee.
Thanks I appreciate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 4:02pm On Sep 23, 2018
Please some one should give me heads up on yhe benefits/ease of finance/accounting practice in other provinces besides Toronto. I think I want to live in a small town.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
einsteino:

just surprised? I would say I am stupefied cheesy

I really would like to know all the details of that "different means". My interest is to go where the money is, or at least where the pay is commensurate to the stress and challenge. Title and status is not my turf. I wasn't born an Engineer, I chose to be, so I can as well choose to redeploy my skill set and energy to an alternative career, even retrain, if it turns out to be more rewarding.

Whatever your employer has agree to pay you, is your value period. If your employer feels I need to pay you X amount of dollars in order for me to be able to make X amount of dollars in profit, then that's what determines your value. That's one of the means. So for example when I worked in Northern Alberta in the oilfields, I got a professional drivers license and was hired to deliver fuel and lube to different departments on site. Which they needed to accomplished their objective of course. I was one of those guys working the 12 hour shifts salford explained. Except I worked 7 days straight, and got 7 days off. I would also get overtime after 8 hours each day, and each overtime day, the full 12 hour shift was OT. I grossed 160k one year, though I took a lot of overtime when asked. While most people would be shocked how much I made to haul and deliver fuel around, remember my company easily made millions off my services/"labor". What's paying a man 160k when you can make millions off his services ?

That's what I mean different means determine ones salary not a fancy degree. Mind you my former company didn't care if I could read or write, as long as I was able to deliver the fuel and lube around. So people coming here shouldn't get caught up on fancy degrees. Some of those "uneducated laborer" make more money than some will ever make.

34 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TFLASHOGEE(m): 6:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
men it the house have observe the tread carefully and it seems sport is not common in Canada cause I don't see any football related talks on here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 6:46pm On Sep 23, 2018
maternal:

Whatever your employer has agree to pay you, is your value period. If your employer feels I need to pay you X amount of dollars in order for me to be able to make X amount of dollars in profit, then that's what determines your value. That's one of the means. So for example when I worked in Northern Alberta in the oilfields, I got a professional drivers license and was hired to deliver fuel and lube to different departments on site. Which they needed to accomplished their objective of course. I was one of those guys working the 12 hour shifts salford explained. Except I worked 7 days straight, and got 7 days off. I would also get overtime after 8 hours each day, and each overtime day, the full 12 hour shift was OT. I grossed 160k one year, though I took a lot of overtime when asked. While most people would be shocked how much I made to haul and deliver fuel around, remember my company easily made millions off my services/"labor". What's paying a man 160k when you can make millions off his services ?

That's what I mean different means determine ones salary not a fancy degree. Mind you my former company didn't care if I could read or write, as long as I was able to deliver the fuel and lube around. So people coming here shouldn't get caught up on fancy degrees. Some of those "uneducated laborer" make more money than some will ever make.

Thank you so much for this. I'm at a crossroad now. I am scheduled to begin an M.Eng in Civil Engineering program(co-op option), needed that to help with the Canadian education and Canadian experience. After this, I was hoping to get an E.I.T position but since I can earn more in an alternate career, I am really beginning to reconsider.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
salford1:

2. 12hrs day, and a 4 days/wk = 48hrs per week. Accepting an extra day of work (i.e 12hrs of overtime) would ensure atleast a total of 60hrs/week.
For those on 8hrs day and a 5days/wk, workers would add atleast 1hr OT before start and 3hrs OT after close making total of 60hrs/week too.

-Some for the passion
-some for the title
-some drank the cool aid
etc

Techs often times need mandatory professional development too depending on the type of job you fo or industry you work in.

Just a few examples
Ndt: UT, MT, X-ray etc level 1, 2 and 3 or the API's for pipelines/pressure vessels

Employers would often give a deadline to attain a certain level of competence or be sacked.

mehn this is a whole new world o cheesy
I really need to slow down and rethink my plans. Thanks so much for all the help.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:50pm On Sep 23, 2018
einsteino:

Thank you so much for this. I'm at a crossroad now. I am scheduled to begin an M.Eng in Civil Engineering program(co-op option), needed that to help with the Canadian education and Canadian experience. After this, I was hoping to get an E.I.T position but since I can earn more in an alternate career, I am really beginning to reconsider.

Do your education but have an open mind. You may never end up using that education is my point. Just do what makes sense, but having an education in your back pocket can never be a bad thing.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:14pm On Sep 23, 2018
maternal:

Do your education but have an open mind. You may never end up using that education is my point. Just do what makes sense, but having an education in your back pocket can never be a bad thing.

Thats true, it makes sense to have it as backup. Thank you so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kylexy61(m): 7:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
TFLASHOGEE:
men it the house have observe the tread carefully and it seems sport is not common in Canada cause I don't see any football related talks on here.

Yeah. Canadians are more enthusiastic about hockey and american football, which most africans arent very familiar about.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mikkyphp(m): 7:47pm On Sep 23, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Just like how Canada is, lol. See me I'm looking for friends in the Mississauga area o. This country is extremely lonely.
which side u dey? i dey here too. lonely
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:26pm On Sep 23, 2018
kylexy61:

Yeah. Canadians are more enthusiastic about hockey and american football, which most africans arent very familiar about.
Plus baseball.

Very few of them understand football (soccer). Some would even laugh at how footballers bounce the ball of their heads. Just like their brothers south of the border, they feel football is an awkward sport

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TFLASHOGEE(m): 8:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
lol but hope their are mini field where we can play soccer for fun and how did you guys cope with the time in watching matches
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sylokobi: 8:35pm On Sep 23, 2018
salford1:

-Some for the passion
-some for the title
-some drank the cool aid
etc

Just a few examples

Still on the issue of career change.
What's your advise if one has to choose between a healthcare and a tech/blue collar job.

Also how does one get into the firefighting field?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:48pm On Sep 23, 2018
TFLASHOGEE:
lol but hope their are mini field where we can play soccer for fun and how did you guys cope with the time in watching matches
Lots of fields. Some indoors for 6 a side too. It's one of the available summer sports for kids.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 8:58pm On Sep 23, 2018
sylokobi:

Still on the issue of career change.
What's your advise if one has to choose between a healthcare and a tech/blue collar job.

Also how does one get into the firefighting field?
Much depends on your choice or what you feel you would enjoy most. Another factor is the time you are willing to put into the career change i.e time spent in school. 1 year, 2 years, 3 years or 4 years.

In terms of job availability, It is easier to get health related jobs especially if you are willing to relocate to small cities and towns.

Depending on what type of healthcare job, pay can vary widely too. I dont know anything about firefighters as a career choice or how to go about getting into the path.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 10:22pm On Sep 23, 2018
mikkyphp:
which side u dey? i dey here too. lonely
Hahaha burmanthope rd w and mavis. U nko?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 23, 2018
kylexy61:

And a bit of basketball too. We've got the Toronto based Raptors in the NBA.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:57pm On Sep 23, 2018
TFLASHOGEE:
We usually set alarm as a reminder of the early morning games depending on which part of Canada you lives in. You'll be amazed that while the Eastern coast is just about 3 to 4:30 hrs behind Europe, the most westerly part is about 8 to 9 hrs behind.
I particularly had to wake up at 5:30 am for an early English premier league kickoff match a couple of weeks ago.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nekdr: 2:46am On Sep 24, 2018
Please can you guide me on getting a permanent accommodation. What to consider and look out for? And the possibility of getting a good place wirhout credit rating. I stay at calgary

Yes it is, we booked airbnb for a month before finally deciding where to live. It really helped a lot as we got to know the city before committing to signing a year rental lease. I have written about things to consider and places to look when choosing temporary accommodation on my blog: https://9jaincanada.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-finding-the-perfect-temporary-accommodation. i hope this helps. [/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by RozanneCastill: 4:38am On Sep 24, 2018
I have lived in Vancouver, San Francisco, NYC and presently, Toronto. I have traveled a fair bit around the world too, so I can confidently say that Canada ranks as a top country to live in. I will agree with John and Viviane before me with their answers and will add to their comments.

Healthcare: When I speak to international friends who do not have their healthcare covered, they are always amazed at the systems in place here in Canada. Its not perfect, but for the most part it works.

Diversity: Toronto is, on a smaller, younger scale, like NYC and San Francisco. It is a true melting pot. What I find that is not here in Canada is the amount of segregation. The mix seems comfortable, whereas in the US, it can feel uneasy.

Size: Canada is big. One could travel a lot and still not see all that Canada has to offer. This also leads us to scenery, which is pretty awesome.

Stability: Canada is kind of like the level headed, quietly confident person you know. You can be pretty sure that there won't be a government coup any time soon. We have one of the largest coastlines on the planet, yet our Navy has 66 vessels. We are not interested in picking fights.

Our Reputation around the globe: When someone talks about Canada, its often positive.

Education: Canada has an excellent selection of post secondary education. Not to forget the grade schools too.

Safety: The crime rates here are relatively low. I can't say I've been immune to my bike been stolen or my friend having been robbed, petty theft is here, but not rampant. Violent crime does exist here, but I have never felt scared for my life in any situation in Canada.

Outdoor activities: Canada is an outdoor adventure park.

Cost: It is possible to have a comfortable living, own a home/condo, have a car, etc.

Yes, John, it is cold here sometimes. We need to make a province of one of the tropical islands somewhere...

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 7:42am On Sep 24, 2018
mzjennypher:

I use Dingtone, its owned by the same firm that owns freetone. They are basically the same and its quite cool. With Dingtone I was able to get a virtual canadian number, was even able to select the city the number is from ie it's Area code. With the virtual number I am able to make and receive calls. This allows me apply for jobs and opportunities as though I have already landed. Here is my referal link:

http://dingtone.me/and/fl/en/a/?i=mX7dfv

if you use this link, you would get 15 credits for free while I get 20credits. The free credits could be used to make and receive calls. If you need further clarifications on Dingtone, feel free to buzz me.

11 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ifywhyteman: 8:37am On Sep 24, 2018
Unu goodmorning, my landed seniors are yet to give answer to my question, please help a brother. At the point of packing my bags. I want to find out if they allow one carry stock fish, dry fish, and palm oil. Please sure response will be appreciated. And I hope we have some Reginians in the house so we can connect.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ope2000(m): 10:21am On Sep 24, 2018
stock fish, dry fish, and palm oil. not allowed si smiley smiley smileyr. gari, semo , ok
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ope2000(m): 10:28am On Sep 24, 2018
For those looking for houses on arrival check the below link (ONTARIO) .

https://settlement.org/ontario/housing/rent-a-home/find-rental-housing/how-can-i-look-for-rental-housing/

Going to view some myself this week landed last week friday staying in an Airbnb for like 3 weeks @ Mississauga.

6 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by modath(f): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2018

Anyone in need of Canadian Dollars in CANADA, to bank, to pay rent, or for any sundry needs not exceeding $5k (for now) can message me ..TOTALLY LEGIT funds...(Kindly investigate my antecedent on this platform before making contact)

I'm active on the E currency thread in the business section......

WhatsApp link on Siggy.......

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.