Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,593 members, 7,801,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1975742 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vickyehi: 4:34pm On Mar 16, 2017
Apple19:
Good day house, so lucky to have stumbled on this thread. Pls I will like to know of any Nigerian trained Nurse schooling or practicing in canada. Am planning ro immigrate and all am getting is I have to go to school to be able to write their board exams.

Pls how dis you do it?

Should I go ahead with sch or do I have other chances at practicing?

Am looking as albarta (also am very open to advice)

My main question is, how do you cope as a nigerian trained nurse in canada?

Pls, Op am sorry for this questions, but i feel this is the best place to ask as I've been searching for a long tine without any satisfying answer.
NB...I am a graduate Nurse Midwife

There is a thread here related to this.......https://www.nairaland.com/2863557/nigerian-nurses-midwives-dream-working/4
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 8:45pm On Mar 18, 2017
Hello, is anyone here conversant with Ottawa
main concern is accommodation.

Also transportation
wont be for a start how is the transport system in Ottawa have read a bit about the oc transport and presto card , but am not sure.

Will appreciate any positive feedback

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 9:53am On Mar 19, 2017
Fusion23:
Hello, is anyone here conversant with Ottawa , i arrived just a month ago based in Saskatchewan with my brother, For IT profession most jobs are in Ontario, got lots of calls and few interviews, finally got an offer at Ottawa so i need to move soon,
main concern is accommodation , i don't want shared apartment at all i want to know if apartment houses are ok.
all those 12 story building.
for example this one
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-1-bedroom-apartments-condos/ottawa/merivale-manor-1-bedroom-apartment-for-rent/1189103061

Also transportation
wont be for a start how is the transport system in Ottawa have read a bit about the oc transport and presto card , but am not sure.

Congrats on your new job! That was fast ooo. Entry level position?

Abeg seniors, comman epp.

I'm looking at moving to Ottawa too. All I hear is that it's a good city but notoriously boring.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 9:53am On Mar 19, 2017
Fusion23:
Hello, is anyone here conversant with Ottawa , i arrived just a month ago based in Saskatchewan with my brother, For IT profession most jobs are in Ontario, got lots of calls and few interviews, finally got an offer at Ottawa so i need to move soon,
main concern is accommodation , i don't want shared apartment at all i want to know if apartment houses are ok.
for example this one
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-1-bedroom-apartments-condos/ottawa/merivale-manor-1-bedroom-apartment-for-rent/1189103061

Also transportation

What will be your salary ? What are you willing to spend on rent ? Where is the job located in the city?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oladiran0o7: 2:39pm On Mar 19, 2017
I noticed you live in Regina, i live here too. I would like to make niaja frnds if you dont mind.

Most of the question have been answered but i would add a little more.

I landed in calgary, alberta. I had a choice between Manitoba and Alberta. Friends in manitoba and family in Alberta. I went the family route. You should be out of the airport in 30min or less. I dont remember of any immigration rule to follow. You would be asked for your copr and passport.
An overzealous offficer could ask for your pof.
cash was in bank draft and notes...both US dollars. You would deposit same in your new bank account.

The school system...kids dont really start school till age 4. You can put your child between 3-4 in a pre-school(not free)...3hrs per day of instructions, but it really helps communication skills. Once over 4, you can register them in schools free of charge if i remember. Schools registration are usually done through the board of education and schools are chosen based on where you live. Areas and schools are zoned.

If you making less than a certain amount...your child could get up to a certain amount per month as benefit(this would help with toys, diapers, feeding e.t.c...not sure of d exact amount as it varies with income.

Yes you can combine work and taking care of kids..minders, nanniez, daycare are available but pricey. For daycare, there could be waitlist at times. Alot of families live apart in canada. Like husband working in ontario while the family lives in BC. So It's not much of a big deal if your husband is in Nigeria.

Culture shock could be encountered if you are fresh from naija. I mean your boss could be a gay or lesbian or atheist. A lot of Nigerians tend to be rude (not deliberate) ...e.g Dont tell people that they are fat or added weight ecvept they ask for an honest opinion..lol Telling someone that you are strong when you are ill is a concept not understood in developed countries... using words like half caste is derogatory, keep your religious believes to yourselves e.t.c. You would need to book appointments for many services...from barbing your hair to seeing a doctor. Women and kids are Kings here.... This wasnt a shock to me cos i had previously lived and worked in the UK.
You would need to invest in deodorants...These are not commonly used back home.

If you are a Christian..there are lots of churches including rccg. Same for mosques, but they worship in soundproof halls.

Yes. Canada can get extremely cold. Its called the great white north for a reason. It was -46c wind chill this morning in Regina while it was +4c in Iceland. There are sometimes extreme weather warnings in effect. There is one in effect at the moment in Regina. Usually put in place when the air gets colder than -35c. I am sure you read about the ghanaian refuge claimant that would be losing his toes and fingers for crossing into manitoba by foot around christmas. You would need to invest in good parka jackets, snow boots, head warmers and very thick gloves. The trick is to prevent anypart of your body getting exposed. It starts getting warm in may and starts getting very cold in Novembre. Some provinces are also warmer e.g its currently -1c in vancouver plus summers are very warm and awesome.

If you drive, try to get an original drivers license. from Nigeria. A whole year could get discounted if you come with your license. Make sure its original except you are ready to pay fines that could be as high as 1000cad if you submit a fake one. I havent seen someone with a fake license that got verified succesfully..They only got hefty fines.
Learn the road rules before you get on the wheels. Cops and cameras are everywhere. Drivers license is a privilege that could be withdrawn anytime.
If you buy a car, it would be a good idea to invest in block heaters so your car can stay plugged to the mains when its very cold. Cars dont like extremely cold weathers.

I dont visit Nigerian restaurant..i havent seem one in Saskatchewan or Alberta. I am sure there are lots in Ontario. You can always get nigerian food easily anyway from African or east indian shops.

How much a family survive on depends on your taste and lifestyle. it varies from family to family.
[/quote]

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oladiran0o7: 2:48pm On Mar 19, 2017
Be honest with your applications, CIC might find out and that will lead to denial

cliitex:
From what I have read so far, it seems US and Canada immigration are intertwined. Does it mean that if one is refused a US visa, the person will definitely not be granted a Canadian visa? What are the chances of Canada issuing you a (tourist) visa especially when you have unresolved issues with the US embassy?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by keleto(m): 3:51pm On Mar 19, 2017
Fusion23:
for example this one

Also transportation

The 999 dollars, is it monthly rental or weekly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 5:11pm On Mar 19, 2017
maternal:

What will be your salary ? What are you willing to spend on rent ? Where is the job located in the city?

700-900 monthly is the ok one bedroom or bachelors....location is around Nepean or Antares Drive
so any where on merivale road or baseline will be fine.

what about transport?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 5:11pm On Mar 19, 2017
keleto:

The 999 dollars, is it monthly rental or weekly

monthly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 5:14pm On Mar 19, 2017
k
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 7:31pm On Mar 19, 2017
Fusion23:

700-900 monthly is the ok one bedroom or bachelors....location is around Nepean or Antares Drive
so any where on merivale road or baseline will be fine.

what about transport?

Ottawa is a small city. Around 1.1-1.2 million people in the metro area. As long as you get a place close to your work, using public transport can take you 30-40 max each way. I don't use the bus anymore, but I think an adult bus pass can be 80-100 dollars per month. You'll have to check. Ottawa is a small city, don't worry about transportation that much.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 7:30pm On Mar 22, 2017
Let's keep this thread alive please. Where are our landed seniors? Please share your experience with us.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 3:38am On Apr 08, 2017
I truly wish landed migrants would come and share their experiences here. With my landing coming up in a few weeks, I can share a Lil of my experience thus far.

Having someone in the city you intend to move to is really a great help. We finally decided on Calgary over Winnipeg. Main reason is because of the weather. Winnipeg is colder. Also, rent and living costs in both cities at the moment is similar mainly because of the oil sector down turn.
So, being that I'm pregnant and would be having this baby barely weeks after landing and also it'll be the hubs, my toddler and I arriving, it became imperative to move to a place where someone could help us view apartments prior to our arrival. A friend in Calgary was gracious enough to do so. We spent a while checking out apartments on rentfaster.ca and kijiji.ca and when we eventually found places we liked, we picked 3 and she viewed them and we settled on one, paid the deposit and would sign the lease on the day of arrival. Having someone on ground also helped as she was able to explain to the landlord that we are new migrants and won't be able to provide proof of employment or credit checks.....most of the time, this is required.

There is also the "information" ish. Online info and "on ground" info usually differ. Having someone to direct you helps prevent unnecessary money spending. Please note that most apartments don't come furnished. Also, we opted for a condo over a town house. This is because most condos come with the major utilities like heat, water, electricity included in the rent. A few come with underground parking or outdoor parking with plug ins included in the rent as well. Townhouses have more space and often come with a basement and a small yard. However, utilities would be covered by you. I think that having a condo is better for a newcomer so you get used to the system without having to worry about shovelling snow outta your front door or running up your electricity or heat bill.

I was super worried about the cost of childcare in Calgary earlier and that was the main reason why I wanted to go to Winnipeg. But I found out after speaking with someone on ground that the Alberta govt (Manitoba does as well) subsidises childcare cost (this is different from Canadian child benefit) and that goes a long way in reducing the fees.

As regards flight tickets. Well, its pretty pricey. A cheaper option may be to consider buying one way tickets. Egypt air is also affordable. If you have valid UK visas, you may wanna break your trip by flying to London and then getting an air Canada or westjet or delta or Lufthansa flight from there to Canada. We would be in London for a bit before we land in Calgary so we opted for air Canada.

So far, so good.

98 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 3:37pm On Apr 09, 2017
Can you please elucidate further on the child care benefit. What happened to a child born in Canada by temporary resident parents? Thanks @vcole

vcole:

I was super worried about the cost of childcare in Calgary earlier and that was the main reason why I wanted to go to Winnipeg. But I found out after speaking with someone on ground that the Alberta govt (Manitoba does as well) subsidises childcare cost (this is different from Canadian child benefit) and that goes a long way in reducing the fees.

As regards flight tickets. Well, its pretty pricey. A cheaper option may be to consider buying one way tickets. Egypt air is also affordable. If you have valid UK visas, you may wanna break your trip by flying to London and then getting an air Canada or westjet or delta or Lufthansa flight from there to Canada. We would be in London for a bit before we land in Calgary so we opted for air Canada.

So far, so good.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 4:07pm On Apr 09, 2017
Markab:
Can you please elucidate further on the child care benefit. What happened to a child born in Canada by temporary resident parents? Thanks @vcole

To be eligible for the Canada child benefit (CCB), you must meet all of the following conditions:
- You must live with the child, and the child must be under 18 years of age.
- You must be primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of the child.
- You must be a resident of Canada for tax purposes i.e tax returns.
- You or your spouse or common-law partner must be:
a Canadian citizen
a permanent resident
a protected person
a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month
an Indian within the meaning of the Indian Act

Also note that access to goverment benefits and social services is dependent on the income of the family. There are thresholds put in place.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papjydos: 9:48pm On Apr 09, 2017
Waow, did you say meet ALL the requirement?

Anyone who has not stayed up to 18 month would not enjopy this, is that it Do PR holders enjoy free health care and maternity services?

Also, I need a bit on clarity on accomodation. Its always better to have people that can help you settle in. But for those of us that do not have people in Canada, what is the best way to settle in once landed. I plan to land in May and would really like to know how to settle in.

salford:

To be eligible for the Canada child benefit (CCB), you must meet all of the following conditions:
a Canadian citizen
a permanent resident
a protected person
a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month

Also note that access to goverment benefits and social services is dependent on the income of the family. There are thresholds put in place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ladylco: 1:25pm On Apr 10, 2017
Hello, anyone going to canada soon, Hamilton to be precise, please lets hook up
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:36am On Apr 11, 2017
salford:

a Canadian citizen
a permanent resident
a protected person

Why would anyone want to be on benefits? I think people should make it their aim to work hard so as not to depend on the country's stipends to feed and cloth their own kids

Nice and informative thread

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olandofire(m): 2:36am On Apr 14, 2017
Thank you very much for this advice. Truly I wasn't specific on the other thread, My bad, sorry about that. After looking at things critically, I believe I need to come back to Guyana for clinical experience like you said. Thanks once again.
vcole:
Hello. We may have got off on the wrong foot on the other thread as there was some info you didn't quite provide and I read you wrong. I would suggest you consider sask and nova scotia as recommended by shinarambo, i also know of some imgs who were able to get residency spots in alberta. I am not so clear on how the alberta system works but for saska and NS they have special progs for imgs. However, I think you need clinical experience as one of the pre-requisites and mccee and mccqe1. I would advise you do a short landing and get your documentation and PR card then go back to Guyana and get at least one year clinicals in. i'm pretty sure that would be a requirement for a full license there right?
Most if not all graduate progs have closed apps for admission this fall. So, whatever school you are looking at, would be for progs with a summer or fall 2018 start date.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 6:14am On Apr 15, 2017
Fusion23 how far? Have you started your new job in Ottawa? How are you liking It?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 7:16am On Apr 15, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:
Fusion23 how far? Have you started your new job in Ottawa? How are you liking It?
Yup yup , its cool
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 1:43pm On Apr 17, 2017
Pidgin2:

Why would anyone want to be on benefits? I think people should make it their aim to work hard so as not to depend on the country's stipends to feed and cloth their own kids

Canadian child benefit is not a "welfare" scheme like the united states system or the UK equivalent.
It's given to support the upkeep of a child and not to "replace the upkeep by the parents" It is given based on the family income assessment on a scale. It's a huge factor to consider when you do have children because the cost of child care is expensive. The monthly cost of child care alone for a low - middle income earning family is higher than the monthly child benefit. So, you are quite mistaken in your assumption of dependency. There is a reason why the CCB exists and the brains behind it are not foolish.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:05am On Apr 18, 2017
papjydos:
Waow, did you say meet ALL the requirement?

Anyone who has not stayed up to 18 month would not enjopy this, is that it Do PR holders enjoy free health care and maternity services?

Also, I need a bit on clarity on accomodation. Its always better to have people that can help you settle in. But for those of us that do not have people in Canada, what is the best way to settle in once landed. I plan to land in May and would really like to know how to settle in.

PR's have the same rights as citizens, except for voting in the federal election and you can be deported if you commit a crime. A citizen can never be deported. You're also not protected by the gov't if you travel abroad and are in trouble. As for settling in, as long as you have the money for rent there shouldn't be an issue.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:35am On Apr 18, 2017
Pidgin2:

Having your government provide financial assistance to your child, and actually investing in the country's children, is a foreign concept for you to understand. I know you're use to having a child starve to death, if the parents can't sufficiently take care of their child, while the government officials eat all the country's money. Nothing is wrong with an annual salary if the gov't can afford it. You see here in Canada EVERYONE (citizens/PR's) own the state. The national cake must be shared evenly to help all classes of citizens, especially the lower class, to give them the ability to move up the socio-economic ladder. It must be shocking to you the gov't cares about it's citizens especially the lower class. And this is not even welfare. With welfare they'd get free housing, medical, dental, prescription drugs and tuition when they're in University. I know shocking.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:37am On Apr 18, 2017
maternal:

Having your government provide financial assistance to your child, and actually investing in the country's children, is a foreign concept for you to understand. I know you're use to having a child starve to death, if the parents can't sufficiently take care of their child, while the government officials eat all the country's money. Nothing is wrong with an annual salary if the gov't can afford it. You see here in Canada EVERYONE (citizens/PR's) own the state. The national cake must be shared evenly to help all classes of citizens, especially the lower class, to give them the ability to move up the socio-economic ladder. It must be shocking to you the gov't cares about it's citizens especially the lower class. And this is not even welfare. With welfare they'd get free housing, medical, dental, prescription drugs and tuition when they're in University. I know shocking.

Hahaha, shocking? Not at all. I know for sure that if you are on benefits then you are a low income earner. Then what's the point of leaving your country to be a parasite in another person's country, benefitting from hardworking citizen's sweat to feed the children whom you knowingly brought into this world

Another fact is this, when you collect any support from the government you make it a herculean task to even invite a guest or relative over because the government will see you as a parasite and will not want any more parasites into their country through you

I was only wondering why anyone will want to even collect child support in the first place, strive for a better means of income and make your decision to relocate a worthwhile one. Discussing benefits shouldn't be a thing of pride(my 2 cents), cheers

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by felixzo1(m): 9:54am On Apr 18, 2017
Pidgin2:

Hahaha, shocking? Not at all. I know for sure that if you are on benefits then you are a low income earner. Then what's the point of leaving your country to be a parasite in another person's country, benefitting from hardworking citizen's sweat to feed the children whom you knowingly brought into this world

Another fact is this, when you collect any support from the government you make it a herculean task to even invite a guest or relative over because the government will see you as a parasite and will not want any more parasites into their country through you

I was only wondering why anyone will want to even collect child support in the first place, strive for a better means of income and make your decision to relocate a worthwhile one. Discussing benefits shouldn't be a thing of pride(my 2 cents), cheers
you seem to misunderstand the concept of child care benefits and regards to Canada. from my little knowledge, they are benefits gotten in form of tax returns or tax deduction for money spend on a child education. ( cost of day care is very expensive averaging $1000 Canadian dollars for a child every month. imagine spending that on 2 kids from your earnings without getting back tax returns to cover expenses on child care.)education is free from primary school. but what happens when your child is not up to primary school age and both parents need to work. child care benefits low income earners more.( people on minimum wage jobs)when you factor in cost of accommodation for a family of 4 , bills and feeding you will understand. getting those high earning job as an immigrate is not as easy as you think. summary ,what you are getting back was tax taken from your pay. not free money as you assume. only Canadians citizens and permanent residence actively working or schooling benefit from it, you will need receipts of such expenditures on day care to benefit from it.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 1:57pm On Apr 18, 2017
Pidgin2:

Your ignorance is comical and appalling. You shouldn't make your opinions look like facts. Seriously, educate yourself before making such statements.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:09pm On Apr 18, 2017
maternal:

Your ignorance is comical and appalling. You shouldn't make your opinions look like facts. Seriously, educate yourself before making such statements.

maternal is back again with his condescending ATTITUDE. It seems to me that you can't handle a debate without bashing people. Com'on man, this is just a discussion forum and no one is making a living out of it. Most of us are here to chill. No point of taking things personally.
Here you are telling Pidgin2 not to make his opinion look like facts. However, going through your posts, this is what you have been doing yourself, taking your OWN opinion for facts. And when someone doesn't agree with you, he is either an IDIOT, IGNORANT or LACk EDUCATION. LOL, seriously bro, you are something else. This world doesn't revolve around you alone. And the world is way bigger than you. So, please stop your ME, ME, ME ATTITUDE. It is not always about you, it is about everyone.
Have some respects for your fellow Nairanders.

23 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 2:23pm On Apr 18, 2017
TheCongo2:

maternal is back again with his condescending posts. It seems to me that you can't handle a debate without bashing people. Com'on man, this is just a discussion forum and no one is making a living out of it. Most of us are here to chill. No point of taking things personally.
Here you are telling Pidgin2 not to make his opinion look like facts. However, going through your posts, this is what you have been doing yourself, taking your OWN opinion for facts. And when someone doesn't agree with you, he is either an IDIOT, IGNORANT or LACk EDUCATION. LOL, seriously bro, you are something else. This world doesn't revolve around you alone. And the world is way bigger than you. So, please stop your ME, ME, ME ATTITUDE. It is not always about you, it is about everyone.
Have some respects for your fellow Nairanders.

If you want to debate, debate. Call me out. It's not that serious. Not taking nothing personal. Going through my posts (you have time) is taking things a bit personally don't you think ? We both know what pidgin is saying is ignorant. You live in Canada, so stop it. How can she be making such statements without ever living here ? She's calling people here parasites who benefit from hardworking citizens sweat to feed their children. That's not condescending ? That's not a ME attitude ? She also claims people who collect government support don't strive for a better means of income. Again that's not condescending ? My friend if you're going to call me out, call everyone out. I think you're the one taking this (or me) personally. I have a right to my 2 cents just as she does.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:08pm On Apr 18, 2017
maternal:

If you want to debate, debate. Call me out. It's not that serious. Not taking nothing personal. Going through my posts (you have time) is taking things a bit personally don't you think ? We both know what pidgin is saying is ignorant. You live in Canada, so stop it. How can she be making such statements without ever living here ? She's calling people here parasites who benefit from hardworking citizens sweat to feed their children. That's not condescending ? That's not a ME attitude ? She also claims people who collect government support don't strive for a better means of income. Again that's not condescending ? My friend if you're going to call me out, call everyone out. I think you're the one taking this (or me) personally. I have a right to my 2 cents just as she does.

Me attitude means ONLY MY OPINION Counts or ONLY MY OPINIONS ARE FACTS.
If anyone doesn't agree with me, he is either an IDIOT or should educate Himself.
This is a very wrong attitude to be displayed by someone who called himself educated.
You should handle debate on NAIRALAND the same way you would handle academic discussions.
I don't know which school you went to, but in an academic discussion, you don't call someone an IDIOT or tell them they are IGNORANT and should educate themselves. You would get a zero mark and can even be suspended from school.
Pigrin2 doesn't understand how Child Care Benefits work in Canada. You could educate her the way FelizO1 did without been condescending. You further told Pigrin2 that "I know you're use to having a child starve to death ...". How do you even know that Pigrin2 is used to see hungry children?

On a different note, you indicate that "With welfare they'd get free housing, medical, dental, prescription drugs and tuition when they're in University".
That is untrue. I don't know where you get the concept of free housing from. People on welfare pay housing even though the amount is subsidized. In terms of medical care, what the Canadian government covers is just the basics that doesn't even include the dental care. Welfare recipients have to pay for the cost of dental care.
Also, there is no such thing as welfare recipient getting free tuition in school. Someone can't be on welfare and be a full time student at the same time. In Ontario for example, anyone on Welfare who is attending university would be automatically removed from Welfare and would be asked to apply for OSAP.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.