Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (414) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979396 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (411) (412) (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 2:56am On Oct 24, 2018
Boss13:

There are Ontario Groups for Nigerians, but you get added based on referrals. Someone has to refer you to the group
Ok. I know places like Toronto and Ottawa have WhatsApp group but an Ontario wide? That's new.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 4:49am On Oct 24, 2018
ibnhasan:
Dear All,

I intend to do a short landing soon. However, I plan to visit the US during my stay. I would like to know how to go about this given that my PR card won't be ready before I leave for the US.

Thank you
@blackbuddy, @Salford, @vcole

Hi, this will sort you out https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Have a safe trip.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ibnhasan: 5:37am On Oct 24, 2018
einsteino:

You can get a full bedroom apartment(living room + bedroom + toilet & bath + kitchen) for about 580 to 620 cad per month (including utilities, except Power).. Metro card cost 85cad per month, gives you unlimited access to both bus and subway for the month. I dont know the exact cost for car insurance, I dont drive, but I do know it's about the lowest in Canada.

Thanks. Was there any reason you chose Montreal above other provinces?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ibnhasan: 5:40am On Oct 24, 2018
Boss13:

There are Ontario Groups for Nigerians, but you get added based on referrals. Someone has to refer you to the group

I just landed in Ontario. Please can you refer me to any of these groups.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gaths: 9:12am On Oct 24, 2018
Good day everyone
Been following this thread ever since I got my PPR a few weeks ago.

It has been a very very looooong read from page 1 and it's well worth it.
Thanks to @Salford blackbuddy bsbabe maternal glittering star et al., God bless you plenty.

I'm presently on page 405 but had to interrupt my read to ask a question. I'm in a bit of a predicament and I hope someone here can advise me.

My passport was transmitted to vfs Accra on the 15th of this month, however I received news on Monday that I was successful in a conference travel Grant I applied for.
The thing is, the conference will be taking place in Austria and I have about 2weeks to submit my application for a Visa as the conference starts on the 2nd week of November.

What could I possibly do now,? My CIC account has not been approved and so my passport is no where near coming back to me.
Do I write to AVO to withdraw my passport temporarily? and what implications could doing this have on my application?

Has anyone here been I a similar situation or know someone who has. Please, somebody help.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ITABABE: 9:31am On Oct 24, 2018
gaths:
Good day everyone

Thanks to @Salford blackbuddy bsbabe maternal glittering star et al., God bless you plenty.

I'm presently on page 405 but had to interrupt my read to ask a question. I'm in a bit of a predicament and I hope someone here can advise me.

My passport was transmitted to vfs Accra on the 15th of this month, however I received news on Monday that I was successful in a conference travel Grant I applied for.
The thing is, the conference will be taking place in Austria and I have about 2weeks to submit my application for a Visa as the conference starts on the 2nd week of November.

What could I possibly do now,? My CIC account has not been approved and so my passport is no where near coming back to me.
Do I write to AVO to withdraw my passport temporarily? and what implications could doing this have on my application?

Has anyone here been I a similar situation or know someone who has. Please, somebody help.

Thanks
I may not be an expert on this but withdrawing your passport "temporarily" does not seem like an option. Even your ppr letter tells you that if you don't submit passport within 15 or 30 days, your app will be rejected. If I were you , I would just let go of the Austria jeje except if it's really more important than your pr

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 9:36am On Oct 24, 2018
ibnhasan:

Thank. Was there any reason you chose Montreal above othet provinces?

I haven't chosen where I would settle in yet. I only chose to try out Montreal and see if I could immerse myself in french. It was an easy idea to toy with since:

1) Montreal is cheap to live in so the financial cost of such trial is minimal.

2) It is likely the most bilingual city in the world(for English and French), so I wouldn't be completely incommunicado while I am yet to learn french.

3) I'm single so it doesn't take much effort for me to relocate to wherever, whenever I deem it fit to.

Basically, it is all an adventure for me to see if the effort and passion required to pick up french at this stage of my life is commensurate with whatever rewards it offers, and to bring myself to full grasps of the practical opportunity costs that I would incur from such a gamble. Thus, helping me make an informed decision and freeing me from a perpetual what if analysis.

Chances are I may move sooner than later or stay a few months.

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheManOfTheYear: 9:46am On Oct 24, 2018
One day I will write my own Canadian landing experience smiley

I'm still a student. I just don't know whether to go through EE or Masters degree

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 10:16am On Oct 24, 2018
guys please take time to see this. and see scammers at work,
they target new immigrants and co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cwcyLvoMps

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by safex(m): 12:20pm On Oct 24, 2018
I guess it's been long you watch yoruba movies grin
tollu:

cheesy grin abeg no wound me. Awon irunmole to nje shawarma.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by taskcompleteng: 12:33pm On Oct 24, 2018
DatechMan:

I am in GTA

please can you mail me your whatsaap number.

i want to find out some things about GTA,

thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by taskcompleteng: 12:35pm On Oct 24, 2018
TheCongo2:

I am not on it
But you can send your request to 587-889-5565 or 403-926-0556

i send you a mail request, please send me your whatsaap number..

the whatsapp above what the dialing code on it.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nenemo: 1:36pm On Oct 24, 2018
Hello house.
Is anyone in Edmonton AB? Let us be friends please smiley I know I'll need plenty guidance as I embark on this new journey of life! Please holla.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 1:42pm On Oct 24, 2018
No harm writing to Accra and attaching evidence supporting your request so that they fast track. I don't know their email sha

gaths:
Good day everyone

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sontelme: 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2018
thank you so much, i will do just that
eclectic139:

I'd advise you convert and keep in a dorm account in naija. come with some cash, open account here and do transfer. Just to avoid drama with naija officials n having to declare. I did same, also printed account statement, at the entry point, when I was asked I explained I had cash and the rest in account, was about showing account statement, the lady asked me to go.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 4:32pm On Oct 24, 2018
salford1:

If tax payment enforcement in Nigeria fully suceeds, then I will be left with no option than to forfeit my Nigerian citizenship instead of paying tax to the Nigerian government, but I hope this does not apply to Nigerians residing abroad that do not pay tax in Nigeria.
louder please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gaths: 5:02pm On Oct 24, 2018
Thanks rainazoe

You are right, there's no harm writing.

I'll send an email to them and see how it goes.
rainazoe:
No harm writing to Accra and attaching evidence supporting your request so that they fast track. I don't know their email sha

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 6:37pm On Oct 24, 2018
Fortissimo502:

I believe all other things being equal, most schools give PRs or citizens admission preference.

I cant agree or disagree, my response was targeted at the mention of the grade.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 6:58pm On Oct 24, 2018
eclectic139:

I cant agree or disagree, my response was targeted at the mention of the grade.

Ok gotcha.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 9:21pm On Oct 24, 2018
Boss13:

You may need to hold on to this. Find out if your daughter can have the immunization before you move. Else, there maybe free immunization for kids. The 3 months insurance maybe a waste of money. Also, insurance brokers know how to upsell. You might want 3 months before you know you have done 1 year because they will hook you on tantalizing offers. Furthermore, you need to know what kind of health coverage you want, plus 3 months is not so far. If you fall ill, seeing a doctor won’t exceed $900. Don’t scream, with OHIP, seeing a doctor is free, but you buy drugs. Many drugs are not covered under OHIP

I thought like this just before coming, and 1 week after I landed, I fell seriously ill, I had to go to the ER. Every day I went in, I had to pay 60 dollars, plus pay for tests, in a week I had spent the $300 I was saving from Insurance. I also had to pay for tests. I know the next thing is.."its not my portion" well I didn't believe it was my portion either before I fell ill.. but what happened.. happened.That's when I knew the importance of insurance. I'd advise he/she does good research and confirm what is covered, anything can happen anytime, that's the catch with insurance. And its winter period, the chances of falling ill goes up. Use the website, Blue Cross has an easy straight forward website about what is covered and what isn't, u can also give them a call. just get enough information before you commit.

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 10:47pm On Oct 24, 2018
414 pages in the bag.
Except for some arguments and misconceptions

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:12pm On Oct 24, 2018
taskcompleteng:

i send you a mail request, please send me your whatsaap number..

the whatsapp above what the dialing code on it.

Thanks

I don't use WhatsApp
I don't understand what you mean by the dialing code. The areas codes are included in the numbers I wrote.
I did respond to your mail request
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Beeea: 12:11am On Oct 25, 2018

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tintedniggz(m): 1:22am On Oct 25, 2018
Blackbuddy:

Pardon the late response, not sure how I missed this but yes I do.
Can I pm you?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Expectantbee: 7:42am On Oct 25, 2018
einsteino:

I haven't chosen where I would settle in yet. I only chose to try out Montreal and see if I could immerse myself in french. It was an easy idea to toy with since:

1) Montreal is cheap to live in so the financial cost of such trial is minimal.

2) It is likely the most bilingual city in the world(for English and French), so I wouldn't be completely incommunicado while I am yet to learn french.

3) I'm single so it doesn't take much effort for me to relocate to wherever, whenever I deem it fit to.

Basically, it is all an adventure for me to see if the effort and passion required to pick up french at this stage of my life is commensurate with whatever rewards it offers, and to bring myself to full grasps of the practical opportunity costs that I would incur from such a gamble. Thus, helping me make an informed decision and freeing me from a perpetual what if analysis.

Chances are I may move sooner than later or stay a few months.

I really like what you’re doing. Allowing yourself to explore and make decisions based on your own personal experiences. I’m not taking this adventurous approach myself but I applaud it. It does make sense.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ibnhasan: 8:28am On Oct 25, 2018
When I landed, I gave a relatives's address to a customs officer as where I want my pr card to be sent.
However he told me that they will only deliver the card to me so I have to make sure I will be there when the PR card arrives in 6 to 8 weeks.

I found this strange as I have read here many times that the PR can be collected on people's behalf.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Im here for short landing and I plan to return next year
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 8:49am On Oct 25, 2018
You can do a transfer to any of the listed bank accounts on their site. Ensure to use your booking ref code in your narration so that they can easily tie it to your booking. You'll get a ticket within an hour of making payment, except you didn't use your code like I said in which case you will have to send a mail to them to issue your ticket.
stonecoldcafe:

Hello. How did you guys go about making payment for Ethiopian Air as payment can't be done online

Cc: @ribaby

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by stonecoldcafe: 8:54am On Oct 25, 2018
Newmum0615:
You can do a transfer to any of the listed bank accounts on their site. Ensure to use your booking ref code in your narration so that they can easily tie it to your booking. You'll get a ticket within an hour of making payment, except you didn't use your code like I said in which case you will have to send a mail to them to issue your ticket.
Thank you sis
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 10:17am On Oct 25, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Solarmila: 1:33pm On Oct 25, 2018
Newmum0615, please I sent you a request. Kindly reply need your help badly been trying to reach out to you. Please.

Thank you

Newmum0615:
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Walmun(f): 2:18pm On Oct 25, 2018
Write and request for your passport. I did that and was successful. All the best!!

[quote author=gaths post=72364666]Good day everyone

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by taskcompleteng: 4:44pm On Oct 25, 2018
HI GUYS

PLEASE IS THERE A FORUM LIKE NAIRALAND IN OTHER COUNTRIES INCLUDING CANADA

(1) (2) (3) ... (411) (412) (413) (414) (415) (416) (417) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.