Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,142 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (422) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976065 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 04, 2018
Guitarlife:
Please who is attending the planning for Canada session on the 6th of November at Ikeja ? It will be nice to meet some (SINGLE) female friends... grin grin
Me me me.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dizzy007(m): 6:38am On Nov 04, 2018
Thanks for the heads up!!

einsteino:
I was hoping to write my landing gist, and pass a couple of had I known tips but mehn I dont think this should wait..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 8:21am On Nov 04, 2018
Hello Nairalanders,

I am here for advise. I am single who wants to start afresh in Canada I.e Career, family and others as the case may be suiting my financial muscle.

I have in mind to work and reside in Canada, I do not mind starting off as a voluntary worker until I get used to what works best for to make a decision in the mean time your suggestions may be suggestive of more to my limitations hence the resolve to ask opinions..

Can 2Million give me the basic from application to all what not if nor how much do I need to budget it will not be a problem getting the cash all I need is the best for me in Canada.

Bachelor Degree holder plus a Safety Officer with a renowned body(Occupational Health and Safety) it could be an amateur, I would not mind getting all I need to make job scouting easy for me

thanks in anticipation to your honest opinions and advice
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 8:35am On Nov 04, 2018
jhoci:
Are you asking about bridging programmes or you want to start as a fresh student? If you're starting afresh all you need is to do a search on your school(s) of choice. You can find information on application period, admission requirements, contact details and tuition on their website.

it depends, if a bridging program is to be better then I will take that option, but if one has to start afresh then that will be an option too.....I understand that there is a two years compressed program, with government grant in most provinces.... That's the one am searching for
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ggetter50: 10:47am On Nov 04, 2018
salford1:

It is very lucrative, but it is regulated since it's healthcare. You would have to pass regulatory exams and probably intern at a vet clinic.

Check out the sites below:

https://cvo.org/For-Applicants/Applicant-Types/Internationally-Trained-Veterinarians.aspx

http://www.directionsforimmigrants.ca/profile/show/id/140

Thank you so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 11:18am On Nov 04, 2018
I'm attending
Guitarlife:
Please who is attending the planning for Canada session on the 6th of November at Ikeja ? It will be nice to meet some (SINGLE) female friends... grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 11:21am On Nov 04, 2018
blinks022:

Hello, fellow nairalander, I think there's a process that suits you perfectly, kindly send a PM
shocked
Why nah? Can't you give him the information here or direct him to the other thread?
Freeze007 head to the migrate to Canada thread and ask your question there to avoid stories that touch.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by blinks022: 11:39am On Nov 04, 2018
dustydee:

shocked
Why nah? Can't you give him the information here or direct him to the other thread?
Freeze007 head to the migrate to Canada thread and ask your question there to avoid stories that touch.

Ok That's true, some people prefer to talk in private, but for the sake of otherr people that it will help, you can try the MPNP if you hav a sponsor in manitoba, or express entry if you have a masters degree and ur IELTS is upto 8.0 I hope that helps
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 04, 2018
Bawss1:
Old Montreal
u actually took this picture?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 12:56pm On Nov 04, 2018
blinks022:

Ok That's true, some people prefer to talk in private, but for the sake of otherr people that it will help, you can try the MPNP if you hav a sponsor in manitoba, or express entry if you have a masters degree and ur IELTS is upto 8.0 I hope that helps

I do not have M.Sc. All I have is Bachelor in Engineering plus a certification in safety that covers five category under OSHA-Occupational Safety and Health Academy.

I don't not also know anyone in Manitoba matter of fact this is my first time looking at this option with no one in mind.

Somebody's suggestions will help a whole lot
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Freeze007(m): 12:58pm On Nov 04, 2018
dustydee:

shocked

Regards Brother...
We are a great Nation and good people no matter what the SELECT FEW DO to daint our image

Obrigado
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Madcow(m): 1:02pm On Nov 04, 2018
Elders in the house please i need some information.

We landed (soft landing) in October... We look to move finally in Q3 2019.

My wife has a B.Sc in finance and 5 years working experience in HR. She looks to retrain to become a nurse in Ontario, please i would like information on the admissions process and also potential funding opportunities.

Thanks for all your help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 1:28pm On Nov 04, 2018
Dizzy007:
Thanks for the heads up!!

Something just crept up my mind now. As much as Yaba has good jackets that compare to the $140 jackets I have found here, the main challenge is that most folks who are still in Nigeria may not be able to tell a good jacket for Canadian winter. A great winter Jacket for the U.K may just be a Jacket for Fall in Canada. Inshort, a jacket that would perform well in the west coast of Canada(e.g Toronto) maybe found wanting in the East coast of Canada(e.g Calgary and Winterpeg abi Winniepeg). Fact is even a $140 jacket on its own would not be able to survive a severe Canadian winter. A winter jacket is an investment here, and its not unusual spending $250 on one, even $1000 if you are shying away from layering up.

I would advise you buy just one winter Jacket from Yaba, incase you are unable to make an informed choice. but do your utmost to get the best jacket available in Yaba, if it doesn't measure up when you land, layer up or go invest in an expedition jacket that would allow you the luxury of not having to layer up. Its always better to have two great winter jackets than several mediocre ones.

Features to look out for in a Winter Jacket.

1)Hood: Its best your jacket has a hood to cover your head from the rain and snow. Also, in the absence of rain and snow, your ears and head could get cold pretty fast, a hood helps to insulate them and also break the wind. In severe winter, you may need to cover your face, leaving just your eyes open. Some hoods have buttons, this helps you turn your hood into a ninja mask of some sort. If your jacket hasnt a hood, you would need to buy something to wear on your head. Just buy a jacket with a detachable hood, if you want the freedom to work hoodless when you need to.

2)Outer lining: In winter it isn't just the cold alone you have to worry about, the wind exercabates the cold and when it snows or rains, your jacket would come in contact with moisture. If your jacket outer lining can break the wind, you would feel much warmer than in one that can't and is yet thicker. If your jacket hasn't a protective layer or lining that water proofs it, it would get damp. You may not mind that, but depending on the material that it uses to insulate and provide warmth, you could be exposed to cold when your jacket gets damp. So I would say, ensure it has an outer water proof lining especially if you intend to live in Vancouver where it rains like the clouds are slicing onions. You could tell if it has one by feeling the jacket, the outer layer should feel synthetic. Except you have very special needs like going on expedition in the artic, don't go looking for a jacket that can act as raincoat for Naija rain o! The rain here na Aje butter, na drizzle e dey drizzle not pour.

3) Insulation material: The inner layer of your jacket is made up of a material that does the core job of keeping your warm in the cold. This could be a natural material like "down" or a synthetic material like "milkweed insulation". Down is great and the most common but when it comes in contact with water it loses its insulation properties till its dry, so if you think you are going to come in contact with a lot of water like you would go skii or you have to work outdoors, you should go for a jacket with synthetic material. Fact is, except you are buying a big name jacket that you could google its features & properties, it is very difficult to tell what insulation material was used. I would say just get a thick and heavy jacket, for a jacket with down, the thicker, the better. The confusion is that those with synthetic material are usually lightweight yet provide same warmth, but if you arent certain what insulation material it has, then get a very thick jacket.

4) Pockets: If a jacket hasn't at least two hand pockets, for the love of anything you believe in, drop it. fingers are the most vulnerable to cold, they can suffer frost bite easily. You need a jacket that takes care of them like a manicure attempts to, and without big well insulated pockets, I don't see how any jacket would manage. The seller at Yaba may want to argue that you could wear hand gloves instead, truth is many hand gloves do not measure up to the cold. Besides, occasionally you would take off your glove to use your phone or do something else when you are in a heated room, would need pockets big enough to dock the gloves in. Secondly, a common trick to survive Canadian winter is to layer up; when it gets very cold, your good glove may need some support. You would need to sheath your already gloved hands in your winter jacket's pocket for extra insulation. I'd also say, it would be great if your jacket has extra pockets to put stuff in, so two pockets for your hands and maybe an extra to hold something else. Ehen, I have also found hand pockets with zippers to be a pain, when I try to quickly dip my fingers in, the zip scrapes my skin. So make sure you test out the pocket to be sure you wouldn't have that inconvenience.

5) Size: We usually like our clothes fitted. From what I have seen here, in the cold, the only thing you would like is warmth. As I have said before, layering is a trick to survive when it gets really cold. The coldest I have been out in since I landed is -8, I wore 3 layers of clothing before my Jacket. If you go for a jacket that is your exact fit, on very cold days, you would need a much bigger jacket with room for a now fatter you (thanks to all the calories, sorry extra clothing). So have that in mind when picking a Winter Jacket.

LAYERING: the art of making up for the cold.
As I have said, you would need to layer up as the weather dips. But I have found that it isn't just wearing the most clothes and discovering the roundest version of you, rather it's the type of clothes you wear. Now, I would break layering into three: Baselayer, Midlayer and Outer layer. lets go into the details:

a) Baselayer/Thermal: You need an underwear that is able to retain your body heat and insulate you from external cold, these are called thermal wear. They come as trousers, long sleeved shirt and socks. They are your first layer wear, they should be fitted. I could go on and on about their properties but for sake of length I'd summarise. The good ones are of two main type, the polyester bottom fleece lined type that cost about $30 for either the trouser or shirt and $16 for two pair of the socks, then there is the Merino wool midweight layer that cost about $60 for the midweight layer shirt/trouser and $30 for the sock. I bought the Merino Mid Weight Wool layer thermal trouser at Yaba for 1k naira, neither the seller nor I the buyer, knew what it was grin the odds just fell in my favour. If you hope to go camping in the Artic, skiing or work outdoors, get the Merino wool Heavy weight Layer, it is very very very good. As for the much cheaper thermal wear sold in stores, they are not as good as any of the above, you would end up needing to wear more layers than necessary, well its normal to do that sha.

b)Midlayer: Some people go on wearing 3-4 clothes to form this, but believe me its doable with just one! If you wear a Merino wool thermal, you can afford to wear just a fancy shirt and trouser on top, if your winter jacket is that good. If you are going to be out in the cold for long and still need to keep your midlayer to just one cloth then you need to focus on a fabric that offers breathability while also offering insulation. I learnt this when I randomly bought a fleece material fancy shirt, it wasn't that thick but it was able to replace my sweater and inner jacket. Allowing me to wear just a single mid layer and don a leather jacket rather than winter jacket for temps up to -8! This spurred me to google about it, and found someone by the name Dave who claims in an article of his that all he wears for a midlayer while camping in the wild in -30(in alberta) is a full fleece mid layer or a light Down midlayer. These are quite pricey here(cost about $70 for brand new, $15 to $30 at thrift stores but just 1k in yaba grin), if you have to buy it here, it may make sense to just wear 3 clothes that you already own to form a mid layer, e.g a sweather, an insulative inner jacket and a shirt.

c)Outerlayer: This is what you wear last, usually your winter jacket. if you have a very good winter jacket, you can wear just a normal shirt on your thermal and you would be good in most cases. If you cant afford shelling over $200 on such a jacket and dont get it to buy as used, then just layer up correctly.

So basically, you layer up as the temperature dictates. Sorry its long, but again I just felt its an info you need.

113 Likes 59 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by RedDoor: 1:41pm On Nov 04, 2018
blinks022:

What's MPNP?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by RedDoor: 1:47pm On Nov 04, 2018
Please guys I need help.

My husband is a Canadian Citizen and reside in Quebec. Please does Quebec stay longer than other province before approving PR / visa??

I did the Family Sponsorship root just to realize 10 months after that my app was returned because my husband didn't include his job details.

I'm ready to reapply now and don't want to use the Family Sponsorship root which takes a year or more for processing time.

Please the guru's in the house which root will be ok for me.

I'm a B.Sc holder.

Please someone with info about this question should kindly answer me.
Cheers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akpasomething: 1:55pm On Nov 04, 2018
Lhimeet:

Many factors.. God help us! lipsrsealed

Arrange 10 odds make we start from there dey arrange POF cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bawss1(m): 3:01pm On Nov 04, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
u actually took this picture?

Yes, I did. I have several others as well but will not be spamming this thread with my pictures.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by justwise(m): 4:25pm On Nov 04, 2018
@All

Please let's avoid promoting whatsapp group here as it does not help this thread by any means.

Thank you.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drcynthia(f): 5:07pm On Nov 04, 2018
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by anath(m): 5:13pm On Nov 04, 2018
Guitarlife:
Where in Ikeja? Please venue
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 6:43pm On Nov 04, 2018
Brother Einsteino thank you once again for the write up on winter gear. Please can you help with pictures so that we know what to look for when we get to Yaba/thrift shops.

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Vancouver4(f): 7:29pm On Nov 04, 2018
Sometimes I wonder what Einsteino got in his IELTS writing.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fortissimo502: 9:09pm On Nov 04, 2018
drcynthia:
Elders in the house please i have a question.
What are the options for a Bsc Human Anatomy holder.
In terms of job opportunities in canada. Thank u as you reply.....

Nursing...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by drcynthia(f): 9:34pm On Nov 04, 2018
Fortissimo502:

Nursing...
hmmmm.....ok. Bsc nursing or a 1-2yrs programme......pls can u explain Alil further....thanks for Ur reply.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 04, 2018
Vancouver4:
Sometimes I wonder what Einsteino got in his IELTS writing.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (419) (420) (421) (422) (423) (424) (425) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.