Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,954 members, 7,806,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (427) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979329 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akinwole007: 7:40pm On Nov 10, 2018
Thanks for the info
mikkyphp:
Please note recruiters here like to see 2 things:

1. Work Experience in your chosen field(Big Data/ Analytics/ Data Science)
2. Relevant Industry

Recruiters will contact you based on these two. When they call you they will need you to demonstrate expertise and talk about projects you worked on. Also expect more of that and technical tests in the face to face interviews.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2018
simiolu1:

Your wife must be a rare breed! Acknowledging that you saw someone more beautiful than her and she didn't make a fuss out of it
Not a big deal, it's just reality. Beauty is not the ONLY criteria for marriage and we both acknowledge that.

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:31pm On Nov 10, 2018
dustydee:

Not a big deal, it's just reality. Beauty is not the ONLY criteria for marriage and we both acknowledge that.
It is number one criterion for most guys and wealth is for most ladies.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Livefreeordieha(m): 9:07pm On Nov 10, 2018
aycapri:
Good evening house, I need somebody to please put me through on how to apply for candadian visa. Am applying for me and my wife. I will be so glad if someone can help.
I couldn't reply u
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CookieLyon: 10:37pm On Nov 10, 2018
Thanks. That’s helpful.
mikkyphp:
how expensive is expensive? sometimes, you may need to make the best decision for yourself per time. You can live in Toronto or surrounding cities to maximize your opportunities...North york, Brampton, Mississauga, Scarborough...but dont make decisions solely on cost!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CookieLyon: 10:39pm On Nov 10, 2018
Thanks, I think I’ll stick with Toronto or it’s environs. I can always get used to the cold I guess. I’ll be okay.
salford1:

You don't like cold and you want to move to Canada...?
Oh well. As per your criteria, substitute cities would be Montreal or Vancouver based on what you want. These cities too have their disadvantages.
Montreal: Cold and French speaking.
Vancouver: warmer weather; however, it is very expensive, probably more than Toronto.
Toronto and area might still be the most attractive choice based on your criteria.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:00pm On Nov 10, 2018
Merovingian:

A clarion call to einsteino to pls share pictures of your arsenal of winter gears

Clothes I bought at Yaba
1: winter jacket
2: inner jacket
3: interior of the thermal trousers
4: thermal longsleeve shirt

49 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:05pm On Nov 10, 2018
These are photos of a female winter jacket bought here in Canada, it is warm. Visual inspection is not enough to tell how good a jacket is, it is wise to note the material description(in the last pic).

Photo credits: @Behati .. Many thanks to her for helping with photos of her jacket.

29 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:11pm On Nov 10, 2018
The jackets I bought in thrift stores after landing.

1: breathable Fleece jacket which I use for midlayer
2: Thick leather jacket
3: Light leather jacket, I wear it when it isn't too cold.

4: winter thermal socks(L - exterior, R- Interior)

30 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:25pm On Nov 10, 2018
1: The Northface Canyonlands sweatshirt, makes a great midlayer, material is fleece and polyester.
2: Faux fur head hat with detachable face cover. I bought one of this for about $8 at a store owned by a chinese, it cost many folds of that on amazon.
3: incase you feel cold in your neck, you may want to get a scarf. There are different types and options.

You should also buy a couple of thick sweaters, preferably woolen, and hand gloves.

29 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rhemagrace(f): 11:55pm On Nov 10, 2018
Thank you so much @einsteino. You've been very helpful.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:34am On Nov 11, 2018
einsteino:

Clothes I bought at Yaba
That long johns must have been imported from Siberia or made in Iqaluit. Never seen one that thick in my life grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 1:08am On Nov 11, 2018
jelmusboy:
Is it cost effective to do? Make I know sharply before I give out my solid mattress

Errm.. I'm actually just joking. Never paid for a mattress so the cost dey confuse me. And all the variety na wah.. On a serious note, I don't think its worth it. Too much wahalla moving it around.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 2:47am On Nov 11, 2018
salford1:

That long johns must have been imported from Siberia or made in Iqaluit. Never seen one that thick in my life grin
lol grin
My friend said something similar when he saw it. I have stopped wearing it for now because my lighter thermals that I bought here are warm enough for the present temperatures.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rickywowoz: 3:00am On Nov 11, 2018
CookieLyon:
Hi Guys, thanks for all this valuable info on this thread. I’m looking to move to Canada mid next year but I’m having difficulties deciding on which city to live in. Hubby is a pharmacist and I’m an accountant and one of my criteria for a city to live in would be where pharmaceutical head offices and finance firms are situated so hubby and I can have great career prospects. Toronto seems like the easy choice but it’s quite expensive and I’d prefer another city with the same criteria I’m looking for. I’m also looking for a city that’s warm. I really don’t like the cold and will like to avoid it as much as possible.
Toronto city might be expensive but you can live anywhere in the GTA. You can live in brampton and work in Toronto or live in mississauga and work in north York. The whole Toronto area is just awesome. I school in Saskatchewan but I'm always in the GTA every holiday. And don't worry about cold you will get use to it. I get fever with Nigeria harmattan but after staying in Saskatchewan for winter, I don't even feel that cold in -15, me and my friends get excited if the weather never reach -20.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 3:28am On Nov 11, 2018
Rickywowoz:
Toronto city might be expensive but you can live anywhere in the GTA. You can live in brampton and work in Toronto or live in mississauga and work in north York.

Is Mississauga cheaper than North York?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rickywowoz: 3:50am On Nov 11, 2018
einsteino:

Is Mississauga cheaper than North York?

Not really, it was just an example that people live and work anywhere across the gta. I think Toronto is the most expensive....brampton, sauga,north York are more or less the same depending on luck and season.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:04am On Nov 11, 2018
CookieLyon:
Hi Guys, thanks for all this valuable info on this thread. I’m looking to move to Canada mid next year but I’m having difficulties deciding on which city to live in. Hubby is a pharmacist and I’m an accountant and one of my criteria for a city to live in would be where pharmaceutical head offices and finance firms are situated so hubby and I can have great career prospects. Toronto seems like the easy choice but it’s quite expensive and I’d prefer another city with the same criteria I’m looking for. I’m also looking for a city that’s warm. I really don’t like the cold and will like to avoid it as much as possible.

Mehn, if you are looking for warmth (of course, by Canadian standards), then you would end up in the same expensive cities you are running from: Toronto & Vancouver. Like Rickywowoz said, the cold is something you would learn to tolerate, everyone just dresses for it and stays away from long outdoor activities, homes and buildings are heated. So, if you would get a job in a colder place like sask, calgary or winniepeg, I think you shouldn't worry about the cold.

Coincidentally, I relocated to Toronto a week ago, so I maybe able to chip in. The major cost you would incur in Toronto is accommodation and car insurance. These could easily be twice what you would pay in other cities, public transportation is also much more expensive. As for opportunities, I am in a different field so I can not make any definitive assertions. Generally speaking, there seems to be a plethora of opportunities in Ontario but it also has way more competition for white collar jobs. Blue collar and survival jobs is a free for all.

It is true that you can live in the GTA to avoid the cost of downtown Toronto, but even the GTA is only cheap when compared to downtown Toronto, not cheaper when compared to most Canadian cities. What matters right now is which of the cities/towns best serves into your plans and is within your resources. That's something only you can answer.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:16am On Nov 11, 2018
Rickywowoz:

Not really, it was just an example that people live and work anywhere across the gta. I think Toronto is the most expensive....brampton, sauga,north York are more or less the same depending on luck and season.

Yeah, if one has a car it is easy to shuttle between them. With a bus, you would have to spend an hour to two, in some cases more. If you include Milton to the equation, you must have a car cos the 401 is usually the only way to get there, at least from North York. Brampton's rentals are usually cheaper than North York and Mississauga, but like you said it is more a matter of luck and season. All the same, the GTA gives you several close options.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Chinnie4Jesus: 6:27am On Nov 11, 2018
Greetings to everyone. Please my Ontario people,is there anyone living in Oakville here? Pls I would like to know how convenient it is to work in Toronto and live in Oakville? I looked online and the city seems ok for raising kids, I think car insurance seems slightly lower than what you might get in Toronto and Mississauga( not certain about this info). Info online tells me that it will take about 37-40mins to get to Toronto. Biko my people, can I rely on that, then for someone who may not get a car immediately, does it make sense settling in Oakville and working in Toronto.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by PefHouse: 8:03am On Nov 11, 2018
Good day all,

Has anyone attempted to change mailing address for you PR card, the address I first quoted upon landing has changed and I would like to update it. When I use the online IRCC service, it says my records are not found. I have equally visited service Canada and they just give you a number to call, which does not find my record either. I would not want my card mailed to the old address.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:56am On Nov 11, 2018
Einsteino for president! Thank you!!

einsteino:
Winter clothing you can find on amazon

1: The Northface Canyonlands sweatshirt, makes a great midlayer, material is fleece and polyester.
2: Faux fur head hat with detachable face cover. I bought one of this for about $8 at a store owned by a chinese, it cost many folds of that on amazon.
3: incase you feel cold in your neck, you may want to get a scarf. There are different types and options.

You should also buy a couple of thick sweaters, preferably woolen, and hand gloves.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:56am On Nov 11, 2018
Try sending a message via web form

PefHouse:
Good day all,

Has anyone attempted to change mailing address for you PR card, the address I first quoted upon landing has changed and I would like to update it. When I use the online IRCC service, it says my records are not found. I have equally visited service Canada and they just give you a number to call, which does not find my record either. I would not want my card mailed to the old address.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Luce: 10:04am On Nov 11, 2018
einsteino:

Clothes I bought at Yaba

What’s the price range of these please?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 11:36am On Nov 11, 2018
Thank you einsteino. If you have picture for infants, kindly upload please. I'm very much interested in that face cover
einsteino:

Clothes I bought at Yaba

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oluwadoyinmi(f): 1:38pm On Nov 11, 2018
Hi. Am a student nurse in year 2 in Nigeria. I will love to work and continue my education in Canada immediately I finish in 2020. I don't know how I'll go about it. Please I need advice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by hayor2014(m): 1:48pm On Nov 11, 2018
CookieLyon:
. Go to Alberta..... Friends in Canada have advised me to go there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mrfixer111: 4:08pm On Nov 11, 2018
This is really cool. Were they expensive?
einsteino:

Clothes I bought at Yaba
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mrfixer111: 4:45pm On Nov 11, 2018
Hi can you send the guy's contact?
eclectic139:

hi, not a "senior" but I cargoed my stuff from naija. I waybilled my things from PH to the shipping guy in Lagos, he picked them up and cargoed them. He sent them the same day I left for Canada, I received them about 5 days later. You will be called when your items arrive. if you send me an email I will forward his contact.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mcstan18(m): 4:58pm On Nov 11, 2018
Balogunsam and co didn't give their landing gists finally. God is watching o.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Faarshavin: 6:51pm On Nov 11, 2018
hello...thank you for taking time out to respond..

thank you....will send you an email now

eclectic139:

hi, not a "senior" but I cargoed my stuff from naija. I waybilled my things from PH to the shipping guy in Lagos, he picked them up and cargoed them. He sent them the same day I left for Canada, I received them about 5 days later. You will be called when your items arrive. if you send me an email I will forward his contact.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2018
taskcompleteng:
HI GUYS

PLEASE IS THERE A FORUM LIKE NAIRALAND IN OTHER COUNTRIES INCLUDING CANADA

Canadavisa forum
City-data forum

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.