Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976502 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 1:47pm On Aug 01, 2017
Ballerz:

You can collect many snow days as you like. But where there is a will there is a way.
The system is designed to make conditions bearable. You have people dedicated who go pour salt on the road, pack the snow to one side so that your car won't skid and you also have to change your tyres to snow tyres during winter.
you will get used to it. it is just about 4-5 months of winter/snow and crazy winds jisox shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 2:01pm On Aug 01, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Leave our James Bond driving o, we like am like that, lol. Thanks for the info

Don't worry now, by the time you collect like three - four 500 Dollars penalty and 9 demerit points your eye go clear.
That is how your FRSC oga patapata and his duties failed their driving test when they went to Canada and trying to partner with them. And Canada said oya, let us put you to test, they all failed, three of them.
Dem no dey do waka for the next driver o, dem no dey shout "you dey crase? you no dey see road?" laughs.
Driving is a privilege not a right o Inugo!!

23 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2017
lumzy1:

Thanks Salford1.

I have over four years as a Geologist in the Nigerian Oil and Gas industry with B.Sc. in Geology and M.Sc. in Applied Geophysics. I guess due to my lack of Canadian experience I am not eligible to apply straight for PGeo. Notwithstanding can I apply for Geoscientist-in-Training (G.I.T.) while im still in Nigeria?
You can get your GIT while in naija. Since you have over years of work experience....all you need is just 1 year of canadian experience to get a PGeo. If you work in one of the big coy in naija, have you checked if they have an office in canada and the possiblity of a transfer?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:32pm On Aug 01, 2017
Ballerz:

You can collect many snow days as you like. But where there is a will there is a way.
The system is designed to make conditions bearable. You have people dedicated who go pour salt on the road, pack the snow to one side so that your car won't skid and you also have to change your tyres to snow tyres during winter.
you will get used to it. it is just about 4-5 months of winter/snow and crazy winds
I always have atleast a bag of salt and a shovel in my car incase i guess stuck in the middle of nowhere..lol

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 4:05pm On Aug 01, 2017
Fusion23:

Please if am in Canada already how can I send this letter , email?

NDLVERIFICATION@FRSC.GOV.NG

Request for driving records through the email.
Attach signed written letter.
Indicate license details and your address for the response.
Also attach front and back copies of d license

Cheers

36 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 4:09pm On Aug 01, 2017
impish:

Mrs. O www.mycanadianfling.com

Nice blog you have there. I hope to read through by weekend. Looking forward to updates on your flight and home search. Cheers! smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by emmaback(f): 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2017
Very useful thread for immigrants! We've recently immigrated to Toronto. Both my hubby and I were lucky to find a good work for us and a great daycare center ( https://cozytime.ca/ ) for our kids. Canada is our second home, we have already loved it!

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by famous17: 5:18pm On Aug 01, 2017
Please o, I'm begging!!! I have been asking for any info about Corner Brook, Newfoundland but nobody has said anything. I will be going there for my M.Sc at Grenfell campus early September and I just want to know the place a bit more. Please any information you can give would be highly appreciated.

Cc: Salford, maternal, thecongo and all other guru's, please just help me. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 7:52pm On Aug 01, 2017
famous17:
Please o, I'm begging!!! I have been asking for any info about Corner Brook, Newfoundland but nobody has said anything. I will be going there for my M.Sc at Grenfell campus early September and I just want to know the place a bit more. Please any information you can give would be highly appreciated.

Cc: Salford, maternal, thecongo and all other guru's, please just help me. Thanks.

Newfound land is not a very popular province so honestly may be not much people have info on the place. But google can help, i know its better if you get info from those on ground too but just make do with what u have online for now.

Am sure you will be fine.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 8:03pm On Aug 01, 2017
emmaback:
Very useful thread for immigrants! We've recently immigrated to Toronto. Both my hubby and I were lucky to find a good work for us and a great daycare center ( https://cozytime.ca/ ) for our kids. Canada is our second home, we have already loved it!

Congrats on your jobs. It would be nice to have an idea of how much you pay for daycare and the duration.

Please share tips on job hunting too....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 8:04pm On Aug 01, 2017
impish:
Thank you Sir!

Mrs. O, www.mycanadianfling.com

Welcome Ma'am smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 9:18pm On Aug 01, 2017
salford1:
tongue
I thought winter starts November. That's like 12wks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoola03(f): 9:26pm On Aug 01, 2017
Thanks for this useful info boss! I will be using egypt air and I know the laid down kg is 23kg per bag and we r allowed to take just two bags+1 hang luggage. What of if the 2bags or one of them weigh like 25kg and the other weigh 23kg or both 25kg is it possible they waive it and allow me to go? And is it advisable to use padlock to protect your luggage
2. You also talked about putting some foodstuffs in the hand luggage, I heard any foodstuffs or eatable materials found in the luggage will be disposed( at mm airport).
3. Aside the 2bags, Am I allowed to carry a school bag + one small handbag
4. I heard perfumes are not allowed in passenger's luggage please how true is this?
5. The declaration form you talked about (for both foodstuffs and money) will it be provided without asking for it or we are meant to ask for it and if it will be provided, when should I expect it(on board or before)

Please pardon my jjc questions o I cant keep mute when I know i dont know wink thanks in anticipation

Ballerz:

Shipping Company?
Please carry it yourself. You are entitled to KG allowance. If that will not suffice, pay for excess luggage. It is about 150 - 180 dollars per 23kg depending on the carrier. Egypt air is 150 USD, BA is 180 USD. But you can it it lower if you prepay for the excess luggage.
Just package your food very well. You can buy clingfilm and wrap your food well. Even the palmoil, make sure your cling film the living day light out of it so that it does not spill. Flying from Lagos, you need to get to the airport early to obtain some food clearance certificate as stipulated in their new mode of operations but Abuja Airport, they are no longer authorised to be checking your bag. Once, it has gone through the scanning machine upon entry and the machine did not raise alarm, you are good to go.

23kg of food for host will be perfect. What makes a bag weigh much is usually Poundo yam, Garri and Beans. Another trick is that you can carry that poundo yam in your hand luggage (if they don't become witches and want to weigh your hand luggage). That was what I did recently. 6 Ola Ola were weighing 10kg. I put them in my hand luggage. When I got to connecting destination, I told the airline to please help put in holding and they were very happy to check it in for me unlike the rude Nigeria carriers, who told me to pay for it as excess luggage. (Same carrier, but once they are not in Nigeria, they start showing you respect and overly nice)

Cheers

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tuzinde(m): 9:51pm On Aug 01, 2017
@ Ayoola03

Some answers to your post

1. You will pay for the difference above 46kg
4. Your perfumes should go with your check in luggage
5. Declaration forms will be given to you on board shortly before arrival.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 10:30pm On Aug 01, 2017
Yooku:

Hi Blackbuddy,
The specialized training for internationally skilled persons you referred to in the above post, is it one of those bridging programs or the ones organized by the settlement agencies for potential PR's coming to Canada? Can you throw more light on these programs and your opinions on which ones are best for the various categories of skilled workers coming into Canada? Thanks for being helpful as always

Oga @Blackbuddy still waiting for you and any other seniors to comment on the above please @Fusion23 @TheCongo2 @maternal @salford1
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 12:41am On Aug 02, 2017
Babachi:

I thought winter starts November. That's like 12wks
winter officially start in dec and ends in march...but it would start getting cold around oct.....
SlowlybtSurely:

How do people manage to go to work and school in such weather conditions? angry
Because cars and buses still run plus coffee breaks...lol.
Alot of field work still goes on too...with breaks every other 15 to 30min to warm up in a trailer or shop.

Yooku:

Oga @Blackbuddy still waiting for you and any other seniors to comment on the above please @Fusion23 @TheCongo2 @maternal @salford1
i only know of bridging programs in Alberta.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 8:38am On Aug 02, 2017
Ayoola03:
Thanks for this useful info boss! I will be using egypt air and I know the laid down kg is 23kg per bag and we r allowed to take just two bags+1 hang luggage. What of if the 2bags or one of them weigh like 25kg and the other weigh 23kg or both 25kg is it possible they waive it and allow me to go? And is it advisable to use padlock to protect your luggage
You can always manage relationship and smile very well to them and have some Naira change to say thank you. Mine was well in excess but I said good thanks to one guy that was very cool and nice and he was also very happy when I said thank you to him. He helped collect tags for all the carryon bags which were like 3.

2. You also talked about putting some foodstuffs in the hand luggage, I heard any foodstuffs or eatable materials found in the luggage will be disposed( at mm airport).
Poundo yam is a packaged food, they cannot throw it away. Even ground nuts. What they throw away is something that will pose a security risk when airborne like sharp objects or things that can be mixed together to create explosives

3. Aside the 2bags, Am I allowed to carry a school bag + one small handbag - Yes. This is a Laptop bag and hand luggage
4. I heard perfumes are not allowed in passenger's luggage please how true is this? - You can carry as many perfumes as you like. Each bottle must not be more than 100ml. If not they will bin it. Rather pretend to bin it and take it home to use
5. The declaration form you talked about (for both foodstuffs and money) will it be provided without asking for it or we are meant to ask for it and if it will be provided, when should I expect it(on board or before) - They will give you shortly before you land.

Please pardon my jjc questions o I cant keep mute when I know i dont know wink thanks in anticipation

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 10:09am On Aug 02, 2017
Guys abeg I'm thinking of booking my ticket. Which sites did you use. I ve checked Royal air maroc and Egypt air sites but they were not going through.
Also are the tickets sold in naira
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ayoola03(f): 11:17am On Aug 02, 2017
Woman power will do lol grin Thanks for the clarification boss God bless you shocked @tuzinde thank you

[quote author=Ballerz post=59066512][/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ltee: 11:27am On Aug 02, 2017
Babachi:
Guys abeg I'm thinking of booking my ticket. Which sites did you use. I ve checked Royal air maroc and Egypt air sites but they were not going through.

Guys I am in the same dilemma like Babachir, kindly assist here. kindly assist with booking information.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chinchum(m): 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2017
Babachi:
www.travelstart.com.ng

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 1:27pm On Aug 02, 2017
Travelpaddy.com. i got my egypt air ticket from them. you can call 09087206170.
Babachi:

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 1:28pm On Aug 02, 2017
travelpaddy.com call 09087206170
ltee:

Guys I am in the same dilemma like Babachir, kindly assist here. kindly assist with booking information.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:11pm On Aug 02, 2017
Yooku:

Please pardon the delay in replying. The training programs could come in the form of those organized by settlement agencies, bridging programs and/or internships.

Let me illustrate based on my experience and research with examples;

Access Employment, http://accesemployment.ca/index.php/working-in-your-sector

They have great sector specific training programs which help internationally trained professionals to understand the Canadian work environment and prepare you for focused job search. They aid with resume writing, interview prep and most importantly, networking. Please use the link above to research/contact them

COSTI, http://www.costi.org/programs/employment.php

They extensive expertise and experience in operating successful employment programs aimed specifically at assisting internationally trained individuals to obtain meaningful employment. Please see their link above as well.

Career Edge
, https://www.careeredge.ca/for-job-seekers/register-iqp/

They assist experienced newcomers by connecting Canadian employers to job seekers through a paid internship. Following the internship, you are better equipped to tackle the wider job market and may be retained by your employer on a permanent, elevated basis.

YMCA Employment Services, http://ymca.ca/What-We-Offer/Employment-Services

Their programs are more general in nature for those who want opportunities in lower level work opportunities or trade occupations and youths. They also have placement opportunities, mentorship and one on one support.

Dixie Bloor Neighborhood Centre
, http://dixiebloor.ca/employment-2/job-search-workshops-for-newcomers-to-canada/

They have short job search workshops which are designed to help you identify steps to reach your employment goals and understand specific occupations in Canada. They also teach you how to get connected with mentoring programs, job development, business directories etc.

Dufferin-Peel’s Adult Education Centres, http://www3.dpcdsb.org/programs-services/adult-education/work-experience-co-op-programs

They offer a range of training programs that provide development in professional and language skills with co-op placements.

Newcomer Center of Peel, http://www.ncpeel.ca/index.php/services/look-for-employment

They also have training programs.

The Mentoring Partnership, http://www.thementoringpartnership.com/mentoring/mentee/

A great way to get guidance from a professional working in your field of experience, I am a registered Mentor with this organization.

For general newcomer assistance, how to learn about child care assistance, to do your taxes, general job search, how to register for things available to newcomers, try Centre for Education and Training, https://www.tcet.com/newcomer-info-services/locations

This is not an exhaustive list please but just a few quick examples of where you can go to get assistance in the GTA, Ontario. For those outside Ontario, please check here and research your target province and city, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/services/index.asp

Once again, everyone please pardon my late responses to your personal messages. I'm humbled by your messages, good wishes and prayers and I will try to keep up with the requests for info and tips as time permits. I know we can all succeed and our journeys will end in praise.

106 Likes 56 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 2:59pm On Aug 02, 2017
Hello All, I need to book flights against next mth to Vancouver for family of 5: 2 ads, 13,11 and 8yr old kids. Pls I need a very good deal, kindly help me out with iom contact. Heard they give fantastic deals. Tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 4:03pm On Aug 02, 2017
Blingyrie:
Hello All, I need to book flights against next mth to Vancouver for family of 5: 2 ads, 13,11 and 8yr old kids. Pls I need a very good deal, kindly help me out with iom contact. Heard they give fantastic deals. Tnx

Send me a PM. Will share the contact of their staff that attended to me with you.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 4:41pm On Aug 02, 2017
40manlappy:

Send me a PM. Will share the contact of their staff that attended to me with you.
Hello bros, I have done so (hope I did it correctly). Awaiting ya response, tnx

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by juliebabs: 5:04pm On Aug 02, 2017
Somebody help.... I need suggestions!!!

Please I need advice...
From our seniors and gurus already grounded..

I want to start a course for vocational training just to be very prepared to hit the labour market when I get to Canada.
Among the following which one pays off more in Canada irrespective of province. #am still working on my migration process but I will appreciate any advice.

Computer studies
Catering and hotel management
Fashion & textile design
Photography &cinematography
Hair dressing &cosmotology
Computer engineering
I really need your advice before I proceed with any choice.

Thanks for your prompt response

pauloverdi:

Bro (I'm guessing u r a bro grin thanks s lot for the info. I have hands on experience with diesel engines mechanical and electriCal systems aND generators. My copr states Richmond as my destination city but I have a buddy living in nanaimo so I'm thinking I should stay in nanaimo and then after I settle I could move if I decide to. However I've been hea ring a lot about how alberta is great for the trades but also hearing that there have been a lot of job losses due to the oil price slump is really discouraging. I'm booking my flight for me and family next week and considering the distance between alberta and bc, I wouldn't want to land in bc (where i have a friend but I'm not sure of job prospects) and start looking for a way to move to alberta in a short time. Won't b funny. Pls advise. Also I'd like to challenge the red seal exams ... how do I go about doing dat and when can I start

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.