Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,757 members, 7,798,526 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (433) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1974789 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 6:40am On Nov 15, 2018
Kai @TheCongo2 your wisdom no be here.

TheCongo2:

With respect to the bolded, issoftandmoist is a lady and you are a man. Of course any lady would rise her defense mechanism when been approached by a smiling man.
However, if a black man approach a black lady in a place where no other black lives, things may be different.
Nevertheless, some black who live among white people see the presence of other black people as a competition. How ridiculous! That could be the type of black softandmoist is complaining about.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 6:44am On Nov 15, 2018
So people carried this 'Coup' mentality across the ocean. To what end please? Thank you Maternal for this insight. Guess we have to keep our cards to our chest and be eagle eyed always.

maternal:

Some companies may look to hire, keep, or promote their token black employee, but there are 2 black employees including yourself. That other "black brother" will do everything in their power to belittle you and your work, to make sure you get sacked or don't get that promotion. A black police officer will go to a black neighborhood and harass the citizens there, even more than his fellow white officers, in order to get a promotion and become a Sergeant. These are small examples.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by uchepixy: 7:46am On Nov 15, 2018
Guitarlife:
hi guys I need some help and advise.
I have gotten ticket for Toronto early next year.
I got the ticket via wakanow.

Now for some reasons I have decided not to settle in Ontario but Alberta, how should I handle my travelling now ?

Should I land in Toronto, do my documentation and after head to Alberta ?
Would there be any consequences to this ?

If I am to cancel my tickets with wakanow, would they oblige ?

please advise me, mind you I dont have any money to throw around o. Every single kobo counts.

I wish exchanging was possible. Mine is the opposite. I have ticket to Edmonton but now I'm going to toronto. Late dec and I booked with travelstart. They charged me extra 500k to reroute or 250k to refund. I just told them to leave it as is pls while I think further. All these travel agencies sha...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 8:33am On Nov 15, 2018
uchepixy:

I wish exchanging was possible. Mine is the opposite. I have ticket to Edmonton but now I'm going to toronto. Late dec and I booked with travelstart. They charged me extra 500k to reroute or 250k to refund. I just told them to leave it as is pls while I think further. All these travel agencies sha...

Eyaah. It's quite unfortunate that your flight isn't passing through Toronto. Issue would have just sorted itself out by you not boarding the connecting flight.

In other words travel agency booking should be avoided as much as possible.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 10:27am On Nov 15, 2018
softandmoist:
This is not me whining or anything. Just something I noticed since landing here in Canada and going out and about.
Many of our Nigerian brothers act all cold when you greet them then get warm when greeted by a white.
Really.
Like your sucking up will change your complexion?
The friendly ones know better, I suppose. They give you pointers on how you can get settled in easily and integrate.
One man snubbed me this morning when I greeted him twice at my daughter's school, but got all chatty with one woman who was white�. His daughter and mine are in the same class so I was wondering what the superiority complex was all about.
Shior.
What pained me most for him was that the woman didn't hear anything he was saying because even on the verge of swallowing his tongue to speak Canadian English, she wasn't just understanding. Kikikikiki.
Ok, seriously now.

Please seniors, let's be nice to ourselves. Tenkiu.

Thanks for this info. But that's too bad. While the Indians are promoting cultural values and bonding to excel, we keep isolating and short changing ourselves. It is well o. Just ignore the guy. Be rest assured he will need your assistance in the near future

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 10:28am On Nov 15, 2018
Newbeecey:
Yaayyy!!! congrats to you. Wishing you easy prepping, and yes!!! All will be well by God's grace.

Thanks dear
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 10:33am On Nov 15, 2018
eclectic139:
Hey all, quick follow up, hope those that got the shipping guy's number from me were able to reach out to him?

Good morning, please I sent you a PM. I want this number too. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 10:44am On Nov 15, 2018
rainazoe:

So people carried this 'Coup' mentality across the ocean. To what end please? Thank you Maternal for this insight. Guess we have to keep our cards to our chest and be eagle eyed always.

I taya o. So unfortunate. Watching my back biko

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ysteph: 11:32am On Nov 15, 2018
Nigerians that is our way.....my joy is that with time, we shall all learn.
Much respect for the indians in that regard.
There is obviously something about ''black man''.

softandmoist:
This is not me whining or anything. Just something I noticed since landing here in Canada and going out and about.
Many of our Nigerian brothers act all cold when you greet them then get warm when greeted by a white.
Really.
The friendly ones know better, I suppose. They give you pointers on how you can get settled in easily and integrate.
One man snubbed me this morning when I greeted him twice at my daughter's school, but got all chatty with one woman who was white�. His daughter and mine are in the same class so I was wondering what the superiority complex was all about.
Shior.
What pained me most for him was that the woman didn't hear anything he was saying because even on the verge of swallowing his tongue to speak Canadian English, she wasn't just understanding. Kikikikiki.
Ok, seriously now.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehiobe: 11:40am On Nov 15, 2018
Any geologist in the house that has successfully gotten a job in canada? Please give me information or any leads that can point me in the right direction.
Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 11:58am On Nov 15, 2018
Since 2015 when I started international trips, I've never booked flight through travel agencies because of this kind of thing. They will bill you for small thing.

Direct booking from airline is the way to go, just little difference with travel agencies in terms of fee

uchepixy:

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Okewa(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2018
Good day house, I intend to travel with my wife and daughter to Canada without any travel experience. What is the best and legal way would you advise me to follow? Thanks in advance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 12:27pm On Nov 15, 2018
ysteph:
Nigerians that is our way.....my joy is that with time, we shall all learn.
Much respect for the indians in that regard.
There is obviously something about ''black man''.

They've gone far. Those Indians get community support from day one not to talk of family support. grin grin grin grin. I won't be surprised if they land job on day 2 post arrival. Thank God for Nairalanders.

@ TheCongo2, I'll be staying in London. Can I send you a PM?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 1:31pm On Nov 15, 2018
uchepixy:

I am planning to book another local flight from Toronto to Calgary.
Its gonna cost me about 400CAD with luggage cost. Cos AirCanada is flying 286CAD AND if you add cost for 2 check in Baggage thats roughly extra NGN100K.

I believe this is better than cancelling and re-scheduling the flight for me. I will just make sure I leave enough time to conclude the landing formality in Toronto airport.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 2:48pm On Nov 15, 2018
wholesomegrace:

@ TheCongo2, I'll be staying in London. Can I send you a PM?

Sure
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ibnhasan: 2:50pm On Nov 15, 2018
softandmoist:
Really.
Shior.
Ok, seriously now.

I don't think this has to do with gender. I have noticed that Nigerians generally try to avoid other Nigerians where other nationalities are present. It may have to do with trust. Given all the negative stories about us abroad, some people are being overly cautious even to the point of snobbery.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabestonic001(m): 3:06pm On Nov 15, 2018
Jasmine17:

Here is another one with POOR in caps. So your 'math skill' should add it too.

Its true you have been surviving with your flawed English skills but you shouldn't live your life on chance like someone playing Russian roulette. Just one misstep without this vital comprehension skill can ruin your life and threaten your existence. How will you comprehend job interview questions?

Moreover, how can you learn and comprehend French when English that is your first learned language is still a problem to you?

Man up and enrol for that English comprehension class.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabestonic001(m): 3:21pm On Nov 15, 2018
softandmoist:
Regina SK this morning. The snow thawed a little yesterday.

Thanks for these photos.

I need to own a home here soon.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2018
Anyone travelling to Toronto on the 25th November via Egypt air from Lagos? Oya, hit me

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 5:10pm On Nov 15, 2018
@salford1 please can I pm you ? I have some personal questions
Cc maternal
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford: 5:12pm On Nov 15, 2018
iaatmguy:
@salford1 please can I pm you ? I have some personal questions
Cc maternal
no problem.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by michael1(m): 5:22pm On Nov 15, 2018
Dear All,

Well, my wife travelled 34 weeks and delivered the baby in Canada, she got her Alberta Health card immediately she landed and both mother and child are fine. As a matter of fact, mother has gotten her PR card

Regards

Flaj:

Will the airline allow your wife to fly? I'm assuming she's 7 months gone and might be more when COPR lands. Niobe77 was in a similar situation when PPR landed but wrote to CIC informing them about the situation, she was asked to notify them within 30 days of the baby's birth though she didn't intend to birth in the US.
You can mail them to let them know that you may not be able to land till after your baby's birth. Better still look through her posts but
MAKE SURE YOUR BABY HAS A STATUS IN CANADA BEFORE YOU LAND

25 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 6:12pm On Nov 15, 2018
michael1:
Dear All,

Well, my wife travelled 34 weeks and delivered the baby in Canada, she got her Alberta Health card immediately she landed and both mother and child are fine. As a matter of fact, mother has gotten her PR card

Regards

congrats
Thank God for the blessing

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tojued: 6:31pm On Nov 15, 2018
jelmusboy:
Anyone travelling to Toronto on the 25th November via Egypt air from Lagos? Oya, hit me

Like this?

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 6:40pm On Nov 15, 2018
So for those who would prefer rain to snow, this is from B.C. today with no heavy winter jackets there yet smiley

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 6:52pm On Nov 15, 2018
Tojued:

Like this?

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 6:55pm On Nov 15, 2018
salford:

no problem.
please I sent you a pm
Please kindly respond
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Top101: 7:13pm On Nov 15, 2018
9jaincanada:

No it will not, as long as you have your COPR documentation. we were in a similar situation travelling from Lagos. Here is a link you might find useful for clarifiying this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1116&top=16

thanks for your responses, God bless.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 15, 2018
michael1:
Dear All,

Regards

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:48pm On Nov 15, 2018
Congratulations!!!

michael1:
Dear All,

Regards

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 8:56pm On Nov 15, 2018
How far with your cards. I harassed CIC with calls and via their web form stressing that the wait is passed the normal timeline and I got my card shortly after.

Please call them at least once a week until you hear your card has been sent for processing.

JKJ6:
Thanks. I was able to call them from Nigeria with Fongo (Canadian number) - you also need strong internet service to receive and make calls on Fongo. My wait time was about 30 minutes. The agent said she couldn't see our resubmitted photos in the file, that it may be because they only received in on Oct 1st. That i should call back in about one or two weeks time, that it may have been updated at that time.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlphaStyles(m): 8:59pm On Nov 15, 2018
Blackbuddy:
So for those who would prefer rain to snow, this is from B.C. today with no heavy winter jackets there yet smiley
i have one white friend in british colombia i would like to visit canada one day places like edmunton,winnipeg,toronto,ottawa and british colombia

(1) (2) (3) ... (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) (436) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.