Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,916 members, 7,799,095 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (447) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1974942 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dkizzy01: 4:08pm On Nov 26, 2018
i wanted to know if the certificate is acceptable in canada.

or which online site can i get certification courses that is recognize in canada

Numerouuuno:

I'm assuming you mean IT courses because you didn't specify.
Udemy courses are good for learning stuffs, the certificate of completion often issued is just celebratory and doesn't mean much at all. I've heard of workplaces that takes such certificates in good light but it's a rare situation. Just learn and build stuffs with the knowledge you gained from the course, you'll present the projects you built to prospective employees as proof of your experience, not the certificate. I'll recommend courses related to Data science, machine learning and blockchain.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Teoyube1: 4:11pm On Nov 26, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to land in Ottawa with hubby in two weeks time, we are currently looking for a one bed apartment downtown. Please any suggestions on the best way to go about thus. I have checked kijjiji and the rest of them but not yet successful. I don't even mind sharing a house and having a private room for myself and hubby.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 4:30pm On Nov 26, 2018
Why not check airbnb for a temporary apartment. https://www.airbnb.com

Teoyube1:
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to land in Ottawa with hubby in two weeks time, we are currently looking for a one bed apartment downtown. Please any suggestions on the best way to go about thus. I have checked kijjiji and the rest of them but not yet successful. I don't even mind sharing a house and having a private room for myself and hubby.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by supo19884: 4:58pm On Nov 26, 2018
Visit Fastrax Cargo Ltd
Ladipo Oluwole Street, 
Plot 24, Gate 2
Cocoa Compound
Ladipo-Oluwole Street
Ikeja (Opposite Guiness)
Lagos
Email: Lagos@Fastraxcargo.com

quote author=Amanda30 post=73314296]Hi people, Please i am relocating very soon and i'll like to cargo/send some boxes to my new location before i eventually leave the country. I have like 3 suitcases to send before i leave. It's expensive to pay for excess luggage at the airport so i would like to take the normal 2 suitcases but cargo some more boxes of mainly clothes/shoes/bags (personal items) before i travel. I called a few companies like IMPEX and they said they only take items from U.S to Nigeria and not Nigeria to overseas. Any ideas of companies that offer such services ? Thanks in anticipation of a response. [/quote]

6 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 6:16pm On Nov 26, 2018
Teoyube1:
Hi Everyone,

Kijiji is still your best bet. Like someone has said, AirBnB would be better for a start as I would not advise anyone to take a house without first inspecting, especially in the winter.

That said
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-1-bedroom-apartments-condos/ottawa/c212l1700185

Most were posted in the last 2 hours.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by BABANGBALI: 7:30pm On Nov 26, 2018
I'm joining you guys soonest by God's grace

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 8:03pm On Nov 26, 2018
Landed today 7am Toronto time, will try to post transcript as soon as I can. The struggle starts and all I can wish for myself is FAVOUR.

Any WhatsApp group for immigrants in Toronto or Ontario as a whole?

61 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 8:29pm On Nov 26, 2018
Wishing you all the best
jelmusboy:
Landed today 7am Toronto time, will try to post transcript as soon as I can. The struggle starts and all I can wish for myself is FAVOUR.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Licious07(f): 9:01pm On Nov 26, 2018
jelmusboy:

Finally,a landing gist...Thank God for a safe trip. Wishing you all the best.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Lhimeet(m): 12:38am On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:

All the best! smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Randomsue: 3:46am On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:

Congrats mahn..wishing you favour!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 3:52am On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:

Did you land with family? Are you in Toronto?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 4:49am On Nov 27, 2018
Yes for both. Etobicoke to be precise

TheCongo2:

Did you land with family? Are you in Toronto?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 4:59am On Nov 27, 2018
BORING LANDING GIST

We arrived at the MMIA, Lagos by 11am for a Toronto bound flight via Cairo with departure time of 2.25pm on Sunday 25th November. We had five checked-in baggage and two hand luggage with extra back pack and handbag cos we are family of three (Two adults, one infant). All baggage were for clothes and shoes because we decided to cargo our food items (Two bags, 50kg in total) since paying for extra two baggage will set us back by 110k via Egypt airlines. Looking forward to receiving the food items by next week.

We got to the check-in desk and each of the baggage weighed between 23.6kg to 25.9kg. We didn’t reduce the weight as we were asked to settle them for our bags to pass. All in all, we paid 3.5k to pass the overweight checked-in baggage and cabin luggage. Because of our little baby, we requested for Bassinet and we were provided with one when we boarded. Meanwhile, almost 20 family members and friends followed us to the airport and after checking in, we went outside to take pictures and pray for the journey and new life in Maple land.

I declared all the cash (POF in Pounds sterling and $100 note) I have on me and I wasn’t questioned by any officer, everything went smoothly. When we got to the departure gate, we were told that our flight has not arrived from Egypt and we had to wait for some extra minutes. A flight meant to depart at 2.25pm departed at 3.10pm.

On board, we were served the first meal two hours after departure. We occupied two seats while the third seat was vacant, so we had space to put extra stuff and keep them away from the baby. We arrived Egypt after six hours and it was smooth. Had a stop over of 5 hours and we used that time to pray and relax. Neither free Wi-Fi nor good food was at the airport , we just sat there till it was time to board the Toronto bound flight.

We boarded the Toronto bound flight after passing through the security screening and the aircraft looks nice and clean. Our precious extension cable was collected from us. We were provided with a bassinet to put our baby after take-off but we didn't use it because our baby refuse to sleep in it. We just packed some stuff in it. First meal on board came and it was crap for me, had to just eat the meat and drink some juices. To be honest, the journey to Toronto was awesome (12 hours direct from Cairo) but the food was crap. Our baby didn’t allow my wife to rest because she continued suckling from an hungry mother. In all, we were served two times from Egypt to Canada which I believe was bad cos the distant was just too much. My greatest fear was when we were on Atlantic ocean for more than 4 hours, Canada journey is not easy. It requires prayer and patience you had before you got PPR.

We landed at exactly the scheduled time (7am on Monday), got to the first officer and we told her what we had on us. No dairy and meat. Proceeded to another office who asked us if we are landing today and we confirmed that. Collected our passport, COPR and address to send the PR card and asked us told to sit for a while. I was afraid with so many things going through my mind. At last, he called on us to sign our COPR and we heard the golden word, you are now a PERMANENT RESIDENT.

We proceeded to an immigration service desk where they provided us with info about new immigrants programs and went to Service Canada to get our SIN number. We had to wait for like 10 minutes to get it sorted. We were welcomed to Canada in each desk with lovely smile. We proceeded to get our bags waiting on the carousel. From there, we moved to Customs where we declared our goods accompanying and following. I quoted CAD $5000 as food items am expecting and I was asked to sign the necessary documents. We carried over CAD $10k, we declared everything to the last #500 I had with me. When the custom officer converted #500 to Canadian dollars, she said that’s less than two dollars. He now asked me to tell her what that can buy out of curiosity. I told her that can buy my breakfast from a canteen and I will still have balance in Nigeria. She was surprised and at the end, she welcomed us to Canada again and we proceeded to exit.

I was expecting a friend to come pick me up to my temporary host's house but because I couldn’t get Wi-Fi to connect with, had to borrow phone from a nice lady who without objection gave us her phone to call. She was so nice and even wanted to share her mobile hotspot with us but the connection keeps breaking. We eventually took a taxi home and charged $40.

We couldn’t do anything on first day other than to eat, relax and sleep. We will be going out on Tuesday to get SIM card only cos me and my wife already have good phones that will work anywhere in the world. We will also open our bank and start the job hunting.

I don’t have anywhere in mind to stay permanently for now, getting a job will dictate that. However, I will prefer the Prairie region and the West provinces.
To landed seniors, kindly provide me with what I need to know and do during this first week, it must end in PRAISE.

I am staying temporarily at Etobicoke for maximum of two weeks by God's grace.

Kindly manage my boring story unlike Einsteino, who will hold you spellbound with his gist.

122 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 5:54am On Nov 27, 2018
Welcome Welcome. So Egypt air no dey give better food. I hope i can carry snacks on board. It will surely end in praise!

jelmusboy:
Yes for both. Etobicoke to be precise

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by rainazoe: 5:55am On Nov 27, 2018
Edakun brothers and sisters. Help me answer my questions below. Ese.

rainazoe:
Any recommends for purchasing travel insurance ftom Nigeria? I am returning to CA

I did a short landing and did not apply for OHIP. Would I get OHIP coverage once I land or I have to wait for 3 months?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by orobs93(m): 6:36am On Nov 27, 2018
ottawasenators:
Why not check airbnb for a temporary apartment. https://www.airbnb.com

please Airbnb now requesting for identification passport upload is it safe?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST

Kindly manage my boring story unlike Einsteino, who will hold you spellbound with his gist.
With this your 'boring' story, I wondered, I smiled, I laughed, I prayed, I learnt a lesson... And I was held spellbound...and I also know I will write my own landing gist too.
Congratulations, may the land favour you.

31 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newmum0615: 8:26am On Nov 27, 2018
Yes. I uploaded mine. It is ok.
orobs93:

please Airbnb now requesting for identification passport upload is it safe?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Randomsue: 8:27am On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST

Thank you for the boring gist loool.

Congrats again!

I think I'm liking the idea of just sending food by cargo to save stress. A friend also warned me to not try the overloading on bags route cos with children it can get complicated.

I'm a little curious about why you chose to stay in Ontario if you're still heading to the prairies anyways ( I hope I'm not prying too much).

May the land favour you indeed.

More landing gists pls...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by orobs93(m): 8:47am On Nov 27, 2018
Newmum0615:
Yes. I uploaded mine. It is ok.
okay thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 27, 2018
toboy:
I use MoneyTangle. Thier service is really really nice and they also offer good exchange rates
Thanks Bro!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 27, 2018
melaninpopping:
Your best bet for a good rate 1CAD =280 to 285 NGN right now is to join groups on what's app, telegram etc. of Nigerians currently living in Canada. Many are newcomers to Canada and need CAD and would happily send you NGN when you send them CAD
Thanks for the suggestion!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Amanda30(f): 9:38am On Nov 27, 2018
supo19884:
Visit Fastrax Cargo Ltd
Ladipo Oluwole Street, 
Plot 24, Gate 2
Cocoa Compound
Ladipo-Oluwole Street
Ikeja (Opposite Guiness)
Lagos

quote author=Amanda30 post=73314296]Hi people, Please i am relocating very soon and i'll like to cargo/send some boxes to my new location before i eventually leave the country. I have like 3 suitcases to send before i leave. It's expensive to pay for excess luggage at the airport so i would like to take the normal 2 suitcases but cargo some more boxes of mainly clothes/shoes/bags (personal items) before i travel. I called a few companies like IMPEX and they said they only take items from U.S to Nigeria and not Nigeria to overseas. Any ideas of companies that offer such services ? Thanks in anticipation of a response.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 27, 2018
Lhimeet:
All the best! smiley
how far we dey wait for d game...grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Negotiate: 10:16am On Nov 27, 2018
DPizzy:
Hi folks,

Can anyone here please recommend people that can help one send money to a Nigerian account from Canada with good exchange rates by transferring the Canadian Dollars equivalents to them or any cost efficient money transfer app.

Thanks!

Have you gotten someone?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 27, 2018
supo19884:
Visit Fastrax Cargo Ltd
Ladipo Oluwole Street, 
Plot 24, Gate 2
Cocoa Compound
Ladipo-Oluwole Street
Ikeja (Opposite Guiness)
Lagos

quote author=Amanda30 post=73314296]Hi people, Please i am relocating very soon and i'll like to cargo/send some boxes to my new location before i eventually leave the country. I have like 3 suitcases to send before i leave. It's expensive to pay for excess luggage at the airport so i would like to take the normal 2 suitcases but cargo some more boxes of mainly clothes/shoes/bags (personal items) before i travel. I called a few companies like IMPEX and they said they only take items from U.S to Nigeria and not Nigeria to overseas. Any ideas of companies that offer such services ? Thanks in anticipation of a response.
I was at this location and what I was told was very unbelievable, in short to cargo a load of 50kg it will cost about NGN200,000. I mean thats ridiculous, this is even more than what you'd pay if you were transferring the load as an extra luggage with the airline right ?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by OYASALOF(f): 11:47am On Nov 27, 2018
Wow, that's a lot.

Guitarlife:

I was at this location and what I was told was very unbelievable, in short to cargo a load of 50kg it will cost about NGN200,000. I mean thats ridiculous, this is even more than what you'd pay if you were transferring the load as an extra luggage with the airline right ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by wholesomegrace: 12:06pm On Nov 27, 2018
jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST

My greatest fear was when we were on Atlantic ocean for more than 4 hours

Let sleep come upon me at this time grin grin grin

Congratulations on your landing and thanks sooooooo much for the gist. I enjoyed it

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 27, 2018
MummyJaygirls:

There are agents that cargo stuff. It’s usually cheaper from 100kg and above. You can cargo anything except meat and fowl products. If found by CBSA they will trash it
Hi please can you give detailed info about this cargoeing of a thing, surprisingly there is hardly any detailed info for those who have ? Please we need information about how much it cost and the contact of the agency or their name. What are the logistics et all all these will be very much appreciated for those who have succesfully cargoed things.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gook: 12:08pm On Nov 27, 2018
Guitarlife:

That's ridiculous....

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.