Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (463) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979463 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 11:34pm On Dec 08, 2018
Using the bold, Alberta can be said to be like Nigeria. Highly dependent on oil
salford1:

....it affects a lot of industries due to ripple effects. loss their jobs means restricted spending power. People supplying food and accomodation/hotels to workers would loss their jobs, truck/car dealership will have low patronage, home and other construction will slow down, retail sales will reduce, business closing shops hence accountants/financial managers have less business to help audit accounts, etc. All these will also pull down other sectors of the economy.
Alberta has a non diversified economy.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 11:43pm On Dec 08, 2018
jelmusboy:
Using the bold, Alberta can be said to be like Nigeria. Highly dependent on oil
Exactly.
There would still be jobs but not as much as pre 2015 numbers..
There have been talks about diversifying the economy, but nothing concrete has yet emerged.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 4:52am On Dec 09, 2018
Is it possible to leave people to their choices without shaming them for it. They want to see sky scrappers and have access to suya...is it on your POF?. If people are complaining about it being tough for them in Toronto you can give them an alternative based on your experience in Alberta. Not make it seem like they don't know what they are doing. The airport people land at is in Toronto, the weather is better, making it easier for people hustle and reduce the shock of moving from naija weather. Allow people abeg.

maternal:

My brotha/sista, I don talk am before. People even laughed at me earlier in the thread, saying I too dey talk about Alberta a lot. The province is unbelievable. Most people who land in the GTA like you said just want to see tall buildings, go chop suya/star with their friends on the weekend, then go to a owambe. Even these IT or other jobs they talk about, by the time to pay for transport, insane housing prices, etc how much does one have left living in the Toronto area ? How much ? My good friend, his sister, along with my cousin moved out of the rat race called the Toronto area as I pressured them to do so. Within 2 years they're all doing good and purchased new homes. Something they could never do in Toronto. Because you need a million dollars or more to get something decent in the GTA.

I have many more of these stories. But a lot of Nigerians are becoming wise as the Nigerian population/community has grown a lot over the years in Alberta. People are starting to come here first. The province leads the country in highest wages and immigrants are striving there. Even though the oil sector is struggling a bit, there are so many other decent jobs one can get. Lastly, taxes are much lower there, no PST.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-highest-wages-1.4722511

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/2018/06/12/alberta-the-cool-new-spot-for-immigrants.html

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 4:59am On Dec 09, 2018
maternal:

My brotha/sista, I don talk am before. People even laughed at me earlier in the thread, saying I too dey talk about Alberta a lot. The province is unbelievable. Most people who land in the GTA like you said just want to see tall buildings, go chop suya/star with their friends on the weekend, then go to a owambe. Even these IT or other jobs they talk about, by the time to pay for transport, insane housing prices, etc how much does one have left living in the Toronto area ? How much ? My good friend, his sister, along with my cousin moved out of the rat race called the Toronto area as I pressured them to do so. Within 2 years they're all doing good and purchased new homes. Something they could never do in Toronto. Because you need a million dollars or more to get something decent in the GTA.

I have many more of these stories. But a lot of Nigerians are becoming wise as the Nigerian population/community has grown a lot over the years in Alberta. People are starting to come here first. The province leads the country in highest wages and immigrants are striving there. Even though the oil sector is struggling a bit, there are so many other decent jobs one can get. Lastly, taxes are much lower there, no PST.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/2018/06/12/alberta-the-cool-new-spot-for-immigrants.html

Have always been a London, Toronto kind of person ..but its all about Opportunities...my first job was in Ottawa..then got a better one in Edmonton ..since then I love western Canada to be more precise Alberta...but then to each his/her own

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by claseek(f): 5:43am On Dec 09, 2018
joo2018:
LANDING GIST II
for reference wink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 5:54am On Dec 09, 2018
Fusion23:

Have always been a London, Toronto kind of person ..but its all about Opportunities...my first job was in ..then got a better one in Edmonton ..since then I love western Canada to be more precise Alberta...but then to each his/her own
Na so o. Some people come out west initially, but move to the east before getting something meaningful. I have seen several cases. It also works vice versa too. Canada is not a "one size fit all" for immigrants.

maternal:

The province leads the country in highest wages and immigrants are striving there. Even though the oil sector is struggling a bit, there are so many other decent jobs one can get. Lastly, taxes are much lower there, no PST.
Not comparing to Toronto or elsewhere in Ontario. Alberta maybe some sort of eldorado (maybe if you work in the oil industry).
While stats often report that Alberta leads the way in remuneration, this can be further looked into specifically for different industries or better still career paths. Outside the oil industry, some career path pay more in other provinces than Alberta. Using my own industry and that of my wife, the pay are higher in Sask. Who would have thought?

In addition, what Albertans save on PST, others in a different province might be saving more elsewhere. E.g My phone bill, same plan/phone as what i had in Alberta cost $30 less per month, and my car insurance cost me $100 less per month! Using cities with similar status, full time daycare cost us about $250 less per month (per child). I would rather pay a little tax, probably extra 1% or 2% on top my wage and gladly pay PST to continue enjoying/keep my other monthly savings.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:48am On Dec 09, 2018
salford1:

Na so o. Some people come out west initially, but move to the east before getting something meaningful. I have seen several cases. It also works vice versa too. Canada is not a "one size fit all" for immigrants.

Not comparing to Toronto or elsewhere in Ontario. Alberta maybe some sort of eldorado (maybe if you work in the oil industry).
While stats often report that Alberta leads the way in remuneration, this can be further looked into specifically for different industries or better still career paths. Outside the oil industry, some career path pay more in other provinces than Alberta. Using my own industry and that of my wife, the pay are higher in Sask. Who would have thought?

In addition, what Albertans save on PST, others in a different province might be saving more elsewhere. E.g My phone bill, same plan/phone as what i had in Alberta cost $30 less per month, and my car insurance cost me $100 less per month! Using cities with similar status, full time daycare cost us about $250 less per month (per child). I would rather pay a little tax, probably extra 1% or 2% on top my wage and gladly pay PST to continue enjoying/keep my other monthly savings.

I'm actually a fan of Sask as well. But we're specifically talking about Toronto here. The formula is good pay with a low or decent cost of living. If the cost of living isn't respectable, then how much can one save ? I'm sure Sask offered you both. But back to Toronto, nothing is cheaper compared to the west. Absolutely nothing. Mix that with intense competition. I use to live there for years. I think the point is Toronto people shouldn't suffer in silence. Explore Canada and other opportunities across the country.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 6:56am On Dec 09, 2018
eclectic139:
Is it possible to leave people to their choices without shaming them for it. They want to see sky scrappers and have access to suya...is it on your POF?. If people are complaining about it being tough for them in Toronto you can give them an alternative based on your experience in Alberta. Not make it seem like they don't know what they are doing. The airport people land at is in Toronto, the weather is better, making it easier for people hustle and reduce the shock of moving from naija weather. Allow people abeg.

I don't have a right to voice my opinion ? If you don't like my comments simply skip it. The more people voice their opinions, the better for everyone reading to get what they want out of it. Perhaps we have capitalists reading the thread who want to land full force and don't need time to reduce the shock ? Sista don't shame or belittle me for my comment. I skip a lot of comments I don't agree or care for.

44 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by otokx(m): 7:15am On Dec 09, 2018
Ghen Ghen

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 7:26am On Dec 09, 2018
You have every right to, doesn't make ur opinion immune to criticism.

maternal:

I don't have a right to voice my opinion ? If you don't like my comments simply skip it. The more people voice their opinions, the better for everyone reading to get what they want out of it. Perhaps we have capitalists reading the thread who want to land full force and don't need time to reduce the shock ? Sista don't shame or belittle me for my comment. I skip a lot of comments I don't agree or care for.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kiboe: 7:39am On Dec 09, 2018
Please somebody,anybody, should help us analyze Manitoba like @maternal and @ Salford has done for their respective provinces,I know someone has done this a couple of pages back,but we need to hear from more people please. When we have discussions about living experiences in Canada, it feels like manitobans are not a part of the country,abi is the cold really dealing with them?lol

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kiboe: 7:41am On Dec 09, 2018
softandmoist:

0803 479 7290
thank you very much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 8:13am On Dec 09, 2018
kiboe:
Please somebody,anybody, should help us analyze Manitoba like @maternal and @ Salford has done for their respective provinces,I know someone has done this a couple of pages back,but we need to hear from more people please. When we have discussions about living experiences in Canada, it feels like manitobans are not a part of the country,abi is the cold really dealing with them?lol

Abi o , where are they when it comes to things like this
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gloriouscrown: 8:48am On Dec 09, 2018
Hello sir, your analysis on your earnings and benefits is it for Saskatchewan?
salford1:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Influential101: 9:16am On Dec 09, 2018
maternal:

Everyone can't move to Alberta because Alberta can't provide jobs for all..

GTA still remains a choice destination for IT and finance... I have a friend in Toronto and he's doing fine.. In addition, you enjoy a fairly good weather..

To each his own..

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by kiari: 9:56am On Dec 09, 2018
I'm really confused on where to settle Although I would land in Toronto, but I would love to explore. My Job experience differs(administrative assistant, customer care rep, account s officer)but I am open to new experiences..
Can you guys help with links to websites for some provinces with great job opportunities and their tax rates. Just a mini overview. #single applicant

Cc.. @balckbuddy @maternal @salford1 @vcole & other gurus in the house.

Xoxo
kiss cool

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adebee16: 10:07am On Dec 09, 2018
British Columbia is even worse. Not much first hand info from there. It's either nairalanders are not there or those there are VERY reserved.

kiboe:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SkinnyNigga: 11:06am On Dec 09, 2018
Is Canadian visa really hard to get? My friend keeps saying that. . He is saying it based on hearsay. So I end to hear from you guys. .
And like how much and what visa do I need to migrate to Canada??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ottawasenators: 11:49am On Dec 09, 2018
Start from page 1 of below page.

https://www.nairaland.com/4843199/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/156

SkinnyNigga:
Is Canadian visa really hard to get? My friend keeps saying that. . He is saying it based on hearsay. So I end to hear from you guys. .
And like how much and what visa do I need to migrate to Canada??

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SkinnyNigga: 12:06pm On Dec 09, 2018

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coconuthead(m): 1:45pm On Dec 09, 2018
adebee16:
British Columbia is even worse. Not much first hand info from there. It's either nairalanders are not there or those there are VERY reserved.

No one is even talking about New Brunswick.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:59pm On Dec 09, 2018
Gloriouscrown:
Hello sir, your analysis on your earnings and benefits is it for Saskatchewan?
Yes. That is for Sask.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by KINGTELLER: 2:10pm On Dec 09, 2018
vvvv

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Gloriouscrown: 2:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
Thank you
salford1:

Yes. That is for Sask.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
maternal:

I'm actually a fan of Sask as well. But we're specifically talking about Toronto here. The formula is good pay with a low or decent cost of living. If the cost of living isn't respectable, then how much can one save ? I'm sure Sask offered you both. But back to Toronto, nothing is cheaper compared to the west. Absolutely nothing. Mix that with intense competition. I use to live there for years. I think the point is Toronto people shouldn't suffer in silence. Explore Canada and other opportunities across the country.
Well. Maybe with the exception of Vancouver.
True Sask offered both. However, let us look at it from a different angle. Canada is not much of a big country (not talking landmass). There few major or minor cities so that makes career mobility difficult. This reason makes it tough for some people to find jobs in their profession outside the Toronto area especially those in some highly specialized finance profession. No matter how we spin it, there jobs just don't exist outside the Toronto CBD. If it does exist, it would be maybe just one or two openings in a year compared to the daily openings they would have access to in Toronto. Let's cut them some slack.

This might be related or unrelated, depending on how one looks at it. With regards to your comment about exploring and seeking out opportunities across the country, I think that is an excellent suggestion.
Some of us are lucky to find ourselves in professions that would still have vacancies or openings even in remote locations, so mobility becomes a non issue, and unlike most major cities in the world where employers would often pay extra or top-up for living and working in a big city, Canadian employers would often pay you more to move from a big city to a small city. It's not uncommon to see people earning up to $10 more on top their hourly wage just by moving from Calgary when they take up a job to some smaller cities or town in Alberta.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 2:32pm On Dec 09, 2018
I live in the GTA and I can tell you that I've never regretted that for once since I moved into Canada 7 months ago. Each province has its own peculiar merits and demerits. Employment is competitive in the GTA, Bros I got mine in less than in 4week with a very competitive wage > $37/hr as a new comer without a master nor Canadian work experience. Different strokes for different folks. I've not seen what would take me out of ontario because the choice has paid off for me and I also have so many friends moved into Toronto from Alberta/Sask/Manitoba, and they are doing very well. Bros you've spoken and I completely agree with your assertion.

What matters most is to discover oneself, find out which province your career interests sells the most, then go their to prove yourself.

Thanks to @salford for your advise has paid off. I'll love to connect with you if you don't mind sir.

Influential101:
Everyone can't move to Alberta because Alberta can't provide jobs for all..

GTA still remains a choice destination for IT and finance... I have a friend in Toronto and he's doing fine.. In addition, you enjoy a fairly good weather..

To each his own..

23 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:42pm On Dec 09, 2018
Markab:

What matters most is to discover oneself, find out which province your career interests sells the most, then go their to prove yourself.

Thanks to @salford for your advise has paid off. I'll love to connect with you if you don't mind sir.

Welldone sir. We are all learning together in Canada as we build our lives in this great country. I sent you a pm. We can link up from there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 2:50pm On Dec 09, 2018
Of course! I replied to that and to our previous line of conversion in 2017
salford1:

Welldone sir. We are all learning together in Canada as we build our lives in this great country. I sent you a pm. We can link up from there.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:57pm On Dec 09, 2018
Markab:
Of course! I replied to that and to our previous line of conversion in 2017
I just realised that we had a conversation back in 2017. It's over 1 year already, how time flies!
Glad you are doing well within a short time. Regards to your wife smiley

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riversides2003(m): 3:00pm On Dec 09, 2018
seunlara:
@blackbuddy,maternal ,vcole et al
I am a silent follower of this thread and I have read from 1-170�still reading tho. To the above thanks for informative and educative post.As you are touching lives the lord will elevate you guys too.
I am relocating with my 1year old daughter to Ottawa in January. I want to know about preschool/daycare for my daughter?how is fashion design business?Do Nigerians in canny really sew native dresses ?Is anyone in this line of business on this thread that can put me tru?is there bridging program for microbiologist ?

If you want to practice your tailoring trade, I think places like Toronto, Ottawa should be your abode cos you have a lot of Nigerians there and they merry a lot. With the little money they make,they live life to the fullest and every Saturday there is always an Owambe things around.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riversides2003(m): 3:08pm On Dec 09, 2018
KINGTELLER:
Anyone here living in New Brunswick, What is living expenses like in this province, precisely Saint John? How can I cope with a hourly wage of $12, for 40 hrs/weekly

Dear sir/ma, pls let’s not leave Nigeria and come to Canada to do $12/hr job, if u are single without so much bills and expenses you will just be living from hand to mouth, but with a family it’s a no no otherwise you will just have to go register with food bank to be getting monthly food supplies. You are more than that, spread your nets and look beyond NB pls.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Riversides2003(m): 3:10pm On Dec 09, 2018

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (460) (461) (462) (463) (464) (465) (466) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.