Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (467) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979748 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mavinjay1(m): 5:15pm On Dec 12, 2018
mavinjay1:
hI gUYS, iM CURRENTLY WORKIN IN uae. pls CAN SOMEONE GIMME detailed INFO ABOUT GETTIN A JOB IN CANADA?
Im a graphics designer/Web designer.

Your efforts will be appreciated! Thanks
HELLO GUYS. PLS I NEED ANSWERS TO DESE.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO GIMME SOME INFORMATIONS?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jidobaba(m): 5:37pm On Dec 12, 2018
sistaj:
And we have landed.......

All in all,I am happy we are finally here.
Finally.
The poignant ending with that picture, it all reads like an Escape from Sobibor. Happy for you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 5:52pm On Dec 12, 2018
Contact this agent https://www.nairaland.com/4843199/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

mavinjay1:

HELLO GUYS. PLS I NEED ANSWERS TO DESE.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO GIMME SOME INFORMATIONS?

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 9:51pm On Dec 12, 2018
Did you land yet? What you choose all depends on where your interest lies the most and your comfort level at learning what might be newish for you in the IT field. For the 8-month program with the Sharepoint specialization it appears that some previous experience with Sharepoint will be useful. Otherwise you will be better off going slow with the 2-year prog in Software Development and buidling your competency from the ground up. Cheers!

Canadabee:
Hello everyone,

I have been a silent follower for a year now and I just received my COPR last week.

I have a Bsc in Computer Science from a Nigerian University. However, I have not used my certificate to work as I became an entrepreneur immediately after finishing school. I am a bad ass fashion designer. Hubby was the PA so my experience didn't count.

I am looking at setting in Calgary and I want to go into software development.

I am stuck between registering at Bow valley college for a 2 year diploma in Software development OR Innotech College for an 8 month programming diploma with Sharepoint Specialization.

I will really appreciate if the Landed Experienced gurus can help me decide which will be better and also any other good option IN Calgary.

I am also about taking Java classes now and might do the Comptia A+ certification(just to hold body).

I will be landing in December by God's grace.
Lectures start in Jan for BV and in Feb for Innotech.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 9:55pm On Dec 12, 2018
I would go with IT BA based on your educational background...Do you have work experience....Experience trumps degrees a lot of time in Canada so you would be better off looking for more experience in your field that just doing another program in Canada. The Canada grad cert might just be a nice-to-have but not necessarily a must-have. Cheers!!

pyha:
Hi all!
I am currently residing in Europe and I want to emigrate to Canada, hopefully by fall (September) next year. I want to emigrate as a student and my current option is a year long graduate certificate. I have already completed a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration (Information Technology) and I am now rounding off a Master's degree in Technology innovation and management. I have a few questions and I'll need informed advice or guidance.

Job Prospects
Due to the nature of my previous studies I think I have two options for future career advancement - the IT sector (Software development, Computer/Web application designer, IT business Analyst, etc.) or Business administration (Business Analyst, Project Management, Research Analyst, etc.). I want to know (Based on your experiences (either personal or vicarious)) if you were compelled to advice me, which of these two sectors you think will lead to high-earning good job offers at entry-level position after a one-year graduate certificate program. E.g. Computer Application Developer vs. IT Business Analyst, IT Business Analys[/b]t vs. Business Analyst.

[b]Getting a Permanent Residence

I want to settle in Canada after my studies. I want to know what you think is the surest process for student integration.

Which of the provinces allow students to become residents with minimum conditions?
Is a year long graduate certificate with it's accompanying one year post graduate work permit too risky (due to time constraints) to allow me successfully transition into a permanent resident?

Cost of living/quality of life

I am in the process of saving the required amount of funds needed for one year's tuition fees (e.g. 17,000 cad$) and 15,000 cad$ for living expenses for a year. Which cit(ies) can offer affordable cost of living (accommodation, amenities, transportation, etc.) and also easy to get casual or entry level part-time jobs that require little or no qualifications? (I am currently focused on Ontario, for some reasons it has the most colleges that offer the type of education I'm interested in, unless I haven't been searching well enough.)

Well, that's it for now smiley. I hope I haven't asked too much?

Please house, seniors, anyone with relevant advice or guidance related to my questions feel free to share.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Sparks18: 12:18am On Dec 13, 2018
Good day everyone!!! I have plans on travelling to canada to work and earn a living... Please i have 1.5m already and will this do? What are the chances of getting the visa at the embassy and what are the things I need to put into consideration while applying for a visa.. Thank you so much as you get back to me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jelmusboy(m): 2:19am On Dec 13, 2018
Check first page of this thread, it will explain how you can travel to Canada with 1.5M

Sparks18:
Good day everyone!!! I have plans on travelling to canada to work and earn a living... Please i have 1.5m already and will this do? What are the chances of getting the visa at the embassy and what are the things I need to put into consideration while applying for a visa.. Thank you so much as you get back to me

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 2:37am On Dec 13, 2018
It hasn't been bad so far. Adjusting to the cold. I sent a mail to you. Hopefully it works as my Nairaland email service hasn't been working.

MummyJaygirls:

hi, can u send me ur number via email? how are u enjoying edmonton?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 2:55am On Dec 13, 2018
Salford has actually put things in perspective for you. If you need to do exams and all to practice in your field and no major money coming from family, then I will advise you get Healthcare aid job which as a clinical person, you might be lucky to get without the certificate. That way you can choose the shift that works best for you and your family. Most of them pay $15 per hour. If you get full child care subsidy in Edmonton, you will have between 350 and 450 to pay for your little one which is ok if you are doing up to 30 hours a week. You can get a dayhome which is usually slightly cheaper as opposed to daycare.
Alternatively, when you come in, you can do a 3 month medical office assistant course with which you can get an 8 to 4 or 9 to 5 job that guarantees you your monthly income even up to $17 per hour with some added benefits. This you can do with students loan and you will still qualify for full childcare subsidy. When you sort out licensure, you can then go back to your field of practice.
In all, if you start getting child benefit, you can decide to squeeze out the money for the daycare/dayhome from there.
But just know that it won't be easy o however like Salford said, lots of people are doing it without breaking down.
You can get accommodation in a Nigerian neighborhood and join a Nigerian church/mosque, you might occasionally get some support from them but this is not something to base your plans on.

Adiepena:

Many thanks @ salford
My fear of option two is based on expiry of the medicals.
Am a clinical dietitian and it’s a long winding road ranging from various assessments to examinations to possible internships before I can practice. That aside, something close to it which doesn’t require a lisence is Dietary Technician or Aide and from the vacancies I have seen, mostly go on shifts.

That said, the struggle is real but my thinking is if the kids have assess to free education, twill be easier to handle them than paying for daycare plus after school hrs. And they are more likely to reason well when they are a bit older.

Am giving myself this Dec to think and put plans down and try and figure the best route to go based on advises too.
I really appreciate this.
Thank you.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mikkyphp(m): 3:43am On Dec 13, 2018
This is my 2cents for anyone coming to Canada and not sure of which province/city to settle - Please dont make your decision primarily on cost of living. You were given PPR based on your education, skills ans work experience. When you get a job that fits your skillset, you will be able to afford a decent standard of living. Remember if you move to a "so-to-speak" "cheap" city, with the downside that it has very few vacancies for your skill set, you will end up finishing the Naira you converted to CAD no matter how low the cost of living in that city is. If you now decide to take a survival job, you might get stuck in that cycle for years because it affords you little time for intensive job search, and you continue at those kind of jobs because you have bills to pay. This decision, albeit, difficult, is a fact of life. In life we make choices, and there are opportunity costs. It is human nature to always want to play safe, but be reminded that: "with great risk comes great reward".

"Man, know thyself" - Oracle of delphy

1. Skillset/ Work experience, field of study: Choose a city based on the job propensities. oil & gas and engineering =(plenty jobs in AL, NS) while IT, Finance and allied jobs =(ON - Toronto,Waterloo, GTA). For other fields, please do your research on provinces.

With No 1 above settled, things like family, schools for kids etc will be sorted easily.

Caveat: the above is my opinion, not a statement of fact

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:39am On Dec 13, 2018
mikkyphp:

1. Skillset/ Work experience, field of study: Choose a city based on the job propensities. oil & gas and engineering =( plenty jobs in AL, NS ) while IT, Finance and allied jobs =(ON - Toronto,Waterloo, GTA). For other fields, please do your research on provinces.

With No 1 above settled, things like family, schools for kids etc will be sorted easily.

Caveat: the above is my opinion, not a statement of fact

Plenty jobs in Nova Scotia? Seriously?
Maybe I don't know much about the province except for Africville but there have been a significant movement of people moving out of Nova Scotia to look for opportunities elsewhere.

I always thought jobs are scarced in Nova Scotia. I could be wrong.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 6:23am On Dec 13, 2018
Welcome @sistaj.
Very interesting landing gist. Didn't want it to end.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cutezain(f): 6:25am On Dec 13, 2018
cutezain:
Please help ,am trying to get an Airbnb in Winnipeg but it's not letting me book .

Ps: I downloaded the app

Good morning, still waiting for your help on this one
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiepena: 10:42am On Dec 13, 2018
Akingsqueen:
Salford has actually put things in perspective for you.

Thanks a lot @Akingsqueen
Will check out the medical assistant programme.
If its something i can do online before i land, i will quickly do so.

Thanks for the outline. I really appreciate it
Bless you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by adebee16: 12:02pm On Dec 13, 2018
Please are there landed seniors in the Food and Beverage Industry over there? Would like to pick your brain (s) please. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by okokobiokoman: 2:38pm On Dec 13, 2018
okokobiokoman:
wow! finally got to the last page. Please i need an advice from the senior landees cheesy, i am currently in banking but i want to try my hands on 3d modelling, animation and graphics in canada. What is the best route to take and which city would be very adequate.

pls o, responses needed abeg
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by stubbornman(m): 3:12pm On Dec 13, 2018
WINTER PICTURES...PLEAAAASE cool cool cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:01pm On Dec 13, 2018
iaatmguy:
@einsteino been a while, hope you are good?

I dey try brotherly... Mehn eh, na the race of paycheque and bills just lock person down. My small work wey i dey do wan turn me to robot.

One funny thing sup this last saturday. Immediately work close by 6am, I carry myself travel go Hamilton for a job fair, unto boys dey find way escape survival job. The job fair been get entry level position for civil engineer (Engineer in training). No be i reach there, me and HR dey discuss, inshort the way e been dey flow it was more like gist. The convo been dey go well until Sister come ask where I get my degree from, I come reply University of Nigeria... Aunty look me, come ask when did you arrive Canada, I reply... She come ask what have you done since you arrived, I clear her the work wey boys dey take hold body, i been try package the work but e be like she no chop the package... Next thing aunty say "do you plan on going back to school?"... The way the question drop eh, Aswear it didnt sound like a question at all o! Lol e be like she been dey gimme sisterly advice. Well sha she promise to go through my resume, hopefully my experience go convince am.

E no too tey wey i comot there, I come see post for twitter wey UNN and Unizik dey drag superiority... I just shake my head, these ones no know say their certificate na mere "University attempted" to some people.

Wetin i don see for here sha, it takes humility to rebuild ones life here.

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:06pm On Dec 13, 2018
sistaj:
And we have landed.......
My journey began from ph last Saturday which was a nightmare of a journey.

Welcome home cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 4:10pm On Dec 13, 2018
einsteino:

I dey try brotherly... Mehn eh, na the race of paycheque and bills just lock person down. My small work wey i dey do wan turn me to robot.

One funny thing sup this last saturday. Immediately work close by 6am, I carry myself travel go Hamilton for a job fair, unto boys dey find way escape survival job. The job fair been get entry level position for civil engineer (Engineer in training). No be i reach there, me and HR dey discuss, inshort the way e been dey flow it was more like gist. The convo been dey go well until Sister come ask where I get my degree from, I come reply University of Nigeria... Aunty look me, come ask when did you arrive Canada, I reply... She come ask what have you done since you arrived, I clear her the work wey boys dey take hold body, i been try package the work but e be like she no chop the package... Next thing aunty say "do you plan on going back to school?"... The way the question drop eh, Aswear it didnt sound like a question at all o! Lol e be like she been dey gimme sisterly advice. Well sha she promise to go through my resume, hopefully my experience go convince am.

E no too tey wey i comot there, I come see post for twitter wey UNN and Unizik dey drag superiority... I just shake my head, these ones no know say their certificate na mere "University attempted" to some people.

If you are a Civil Engineer, I think you should seriously consider BC. My Cousin is there and he says there's a shortage of Civil Engineers.

PS: He has years of experience working in the UK so that might have counted in his favour.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by gorgebaby: 4:13pm On Dec 13, 2018
Thanks einstenio! I think the 'north' plays a role in how cold Canada is (my geography is limited though)

einsteino:

I havent been to the U.S but I have seen a video of an American who landed in Toronto during winter and he was outraged at the cold and kept asking "why do y'all live in a place like this?" Lol. My guess is that he is from a temperate U.S state, cos Toronto isnt that cold by canadian standards, that would be the likes of Regina. Anyways Canada is north of the U.S, so should be further up the poles and so
most parts of Canada should be colder than the USA.

What I least anticipated is how much effect the short day light can have on one, I am beginning to suspect that it's affecting me psychologically.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:26pm On Dec 13, 2018
AZeD1:

If you are a Civil Engineer, I think you should seriously consider BC. My Cousin is there and he says there's a shortage of Civil Engineers.

PS: He has years of experience working in the UK so that might have counted in his favour.

Thank you so much. There is always shortage of Civil Engineers everywhere in Canada but these guys seem to not let that change their hiring preference. Its much like the case of doctors. I started hunting BC even before I landed, I even joined BCASSN.

Another thing I find is that I need to reorient my skills to that of North American industry if I expect to start out at intermediate positions. So save for entry level positions, I have grey areas to cover. Stuff like building codes and design codes, and some core technical competencies that are peculiar to the industry here(My focus has been in consulting environment). I am already working on those, while still job hunting. I have volunteered for an engineering internship program that starts next week, and I am hopeful it would help me get my foot in the door.

PS: no one should give up over what i have said. I have heard of a couple of engineers that landed jobs not long after they landed, and some before they did. But what i find is that they usually have western degrees or experience, while some just switch to alternative careers. Still there is no one cap fits all here, hunt for your job, you can get it.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 4:31pm On Dec 13, 2018
AZeD1:

One more thing, pls could you ask if he minds my linking up with him? I am not much of a bother, I just need to have a few convo with him wrt the industry and I'd see to it that i make it as convenient as possible for him.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 13, 2018
einsteino:

Thank you so much. There is always shortage of Civil Engineers everywhere in Canada but these guys seem to not let that change their hiring preference. Its much like the case of doctors. I started hunting BC even before I landed, I even joined BCASSN.

Another thing I find is that I need to reorient my skills to that of North American industry if I expect to start out at intermediate positions. So save for entry level positions, I have grey areas to cover. Stuff like building codes and design codes, and some core technical competencies that are peculiar to the industry here(My focus has been in consulting environment). I am already working on those, while still job hunting. I have volunteered for an engineering internship program that starts next week, and I am hopeful it would help me get my foot in the door.

PS: no one should give up over what i have said. I have heard of a couple of engineers that landed jobs not long after they landed, and some before they did. But what i find is that they usually have western degrees or experience, while some just switch to alternative careers. Still there is no one cap fits all here, hunt for your job, you can get it.
I was surprised when he said there was a shortage of Civil Engineers because we have a family friend with a Phd and she was finding it hard to get a job although she has no "field" experience.

Good to know the opportunities are there and I wish you all the best in the internship.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 13, 2018
einsteino:

One more thing, pls could you ask if he minds my linking up with him? I am not much of a bother, I just need to have a few convo with him wrt the industry and I'd see to it that i make it as convenient as possible for him.
I'll ask for his permission and get back to you on that.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:53pm On Dec 13, 2018
AZeD1:

I'll ask for his permission and get back to you on that.

You have my permission grin

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by iaatmguy(m): 4:58pm On Dec 13, 2018
einsteino:

my brother, it is well with you. brace up, i believe you can, though the road might be long, but you will get there. this is the headache of immigrants in HEAVILY REGULATED industries. i bet others and i are all routing for you. stay safe bro

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AZeD1(m): 5:06pm On Dec 13, 2018
TheCongo2:

You have my permission grin
Yes boss grin cheesy wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 6:35pm On Dec 13, 2018
Thanks for sharing @sistaj, you're a correct somebody. I felt like I took the journey with you, i even felt your anxiety over not getting through to your host, lols.

Thank you and keep coming back to keep the thread alive. God bless you amd your family.

Please drop your landing gist, let us pray for you biko grin grin

[quote author=sistaj post=73763140]And we have landed.......
My journey began from ph last Saturday which was a nightmare of a journey.Extended family of 6 - 3 adults and 3kids.We were scheduled to leave with 3.30pm

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by coconuthead(m): 7:06pm On Dec 13, 2018
Please anyone here lives or have lived or can connect me with someone who lives or have lived or plans to live in New Brunswick? I need some important information regarding the province and will be grateful for the help. Just mention me in the reply
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Majesticniyi(m): 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2018
adebee16:
Please are there landed seniors in the Food and Beverage Industry over there? Would like to pick your brain (s) please. Thank you

Same question here, please. I'm a mechamical engineer working in an FCMG (and expecting PPR soon)

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (464) (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.