Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,956 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (468) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1980056 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 10:21pm On Dec 13, 2018
AZeD1:

I'll ask for his permission and get back to you on that.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dkizzy01: 10:34pm On Dec 13, 2018
Update on security check and character reference two :

You are now required to provide a Valid Police report (2) (SUBMIT HARD COPIES TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE) along with the SRV form

Please what does SRV form mean

My Canadian experience people help out
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ToyinOA: 11:50pm On Dec 13, 2018
Hello house. Please is anyone coming to Winnipeg soon?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 11:59pm On Dec 13, 2018
AZeD1:

I was surprised when he said there was a shortage of Civil Engineers because we have a family friend with a Phd and she was finding it hard to get a job although she has no "field" experience.

Good to know the opportunities are there and I wish you all the best in the internship.

Hehe Canada is suffering a shortage of doctors, it even makes it to the news every now and then but guess what? Unlike the UK, Immigrant doctors here are having a very hard time getting to practise. Inshort I would say of the regulated professions, Engineers have it the easiest.

So shortage doesnt always imply the door is wide open.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by purplerain(f): 12:35am On Dec 14, 2018
This was my backyard this morning grin

stubbornman:
WINTER PICTURES...PLEAAAASE cool cool cheesy

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by purplerain(f): 12:40am On Dec 14, 2018
Front view

stubbornman:
WINTER PICTURES...PLEAAAASE cool cool cheesy

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 12:59am On Dec 14, 2018
iaatmguy:
my brother, it is well with you. brace up, i believe you can, though the road might be long, but you will get there. this is the headache of immigrants in HEAVILY REGULATED industries. i bet others and i are all routing for you. stay safe bro

Thanks alot boss

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 5:30am On Dec 14, 2018
Like!!!! Its not easy at all to start over.. Person just suppose learn how to ginger themselves to keep moving and take required risks.

einsteino:

I dey try brotherly... Mehn eh, na the race of paycheque and bills just lock person down. My small work wey i dey do wan turn me to robot.

One funny thing sup this last saturday. Immediately work close by 6am, I carry myself travel go Hamilton for a job fair, unto boys dey find way escape survival job. The job fair been get entry level position for civil engineer (Engineer in training). No be i reach there, me and HR dey discuss, inshort the way e been dey flow it was more like gist. The convo been dey go well until Sister come ask where I get my degree from, I come reply University of Nigeria... Aunty look me, come ask when did you arrive Canada, I reply... She come ask what have you done since you arrived, I clear her the work wey boys dey take hold body, i been try package the work but e be like she no chop the package... Next thing aunty say "do you plan on going back to school?"... The way the question drop eh, Aswear it didnt sound like a question at all o! Lol e be like she been dey gimme sisterly advice. Well sha she promise to go through my resume, hopefully my experience go convince am.

E no too tey wey i comot there, I come see post for twitter wey UNN and Unizik dey drag superiority... I just shake my head, these ones no know say their certificate na mere "University attempted" to some people.

Wetin i don see for here sha, it takes humility to rebuild ones life here.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by eclectic139(f): 5:36am On Dec 14, 2018
Hi please what is this about? (I may have missed you first post). Are you in the process of applying for your PR? or does this have to do with something you are processing after you have landed?
dkizzy01:
Update on security check and character reference two :

You are now required to provide a Valid Police report (2) (SUBMIT HARD COPIES TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVE) along with the SRV form

Please what does SRV form mean

My Canadian experience people help out
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 7:04am On Dec 14, 2018
Sorry to hear that you're having a bit of difficulty getting your desired job. Hopefully you get a good career break soon. My two cents is, you should approach a firm that you are interested in and ask for volunteer opportunities, I'm not sure an employer will turn down an opportunity of getting work done without paying. That way you will be able to gather the required experience while working a survival job on low key, some companies actually do advertise volunteer opportunities on their website. I feel like that was what the HR @ the job fair was hoping to hear. Btw I'm also a Super Lioness. Good luck with the job search.
einsteino:

I dey try brotherly... Mehn eh, na the race of paycheque and bills just lock person down. My small work wey i dey do wan turn me to robot.

One funny thing sup this last saturday. Immediately work close by 6am, I carry myself travel go Hamilton for a job fair, unto boys dey find way escape survival job. The job fair been get entry level position for civil engineer (Engineer in training). No be i reach there, me and HR dey discuss, inshort the way e been dey flow it was more like gist. The convo been dey go well until Sister come ask where I get my degree from, I come reply University of Nigeria... Aunty look me, come ask when did you arrive Canada, I reply... She come ask what have you done since you arrived, I clear her the work wey boys dey take hold body, i been try package the work but e be like she no chop the package... Next thing aunty say "do you plan on going back to school?"... The way the question drop eh, Aswear it didnt sound like a question at all o! Lol e be like she been dey gimme sisterly advice. Well sha she promise to go through my resume, hopefully my experience go convince am.

E no too tey wey i comot there, I come see post for twitter wey UNN and Unizik dey drag superiority... I just shake my head, these ones no know say their certificate na mere "University attempted" to some people.

Wetin i don see for here sha, it takes humility to rebuild ones life here.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by stubbornman(m): 8:42am On Dec 14, 2018
purplerain:

This was my backyard this morning grin

Lol thats cool.... nice one cheesy grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Luce: 9:54am On Dec 14, 2018
eclectic139:
Hi please what is this about? (I may have missed you first post). Are you in the process of applying for your PR? or does this have to do with something you are processing after you have landed?

I think he’s applying for PR through Canadian Experience Class (CEC).. might be wrong though.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Luce: 9:55am On Dec 14, 2018
Please is dried ponmo considered a meat product.. does anyone know if it’s allowed to bring it into Canada? Please and thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seunlara(f): 11:02am On Dec 14, 2018
Hello seniors
I have questions
1) can a pr get job with the government of Canada?if yes how do you apply and what are the criteria of working with the government?
2) is there any one on the thread currently working with the government ?the person should kindly share is experience and the pros and cons of working with the government based on personal experience
3)I will be landing in January with my toddler . That will be my first time of traveling by air,can anyone or mums in the house tell me how to make my journey easy with toddler and luggage
Ps: I am a tailor o,nairalanders in ottawa should please patronize .A trial will convince you

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 11:09am On Dec 14, 2018
MissEmmy:
Sorry to hear that you're having a bit of difficulty getting your desired job. Hopefully you get a good career break soon. My two cents is, you should approach a firm that you are interested in and ask for volunteer opportunities, I'm not sure an employer will turn down an opportunity of getting work done without paying. That way you will be able to gather the required experience while working a survival job on low key, some companies actually do advertise volunteer opportunities on their website. I feel like that was what the HR @ the job fair was hoping to hear. Btw I'm also a Super Lioness. Good luck with the job search.

No one can work for free in Canada regardless of the agreement. There is heavy penalty for that against the employer under the labor law.
That is why there is a minimum wage. No one should be pay below the minimum wage.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissEmmy: 11:20am On Dec 14, 2018
Like i rightly mentioned before "volunteer opportunities" there was no mention of "working for free" in my writeup. Cheers.
TheCongo2:

No one can work for free in Canada regardless of the agreement. There is heavy penalty for that against the employer under the labor law.
That is why there is a minimum wage. No one should be pay below the minimum wage.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:23pm On Dec 14, 2018
In Canada, one can't "volunteer" or "work for free " for a for-profit organization. Most companies try to stay away from any action that could bring about a lawsuit.

Two ways to get around this:
1) padi to padi arrangee.
2) Employers that work in conjunction with recognized internship programs. There are schools, government or bridging programs that can help people work for free to gain Canadian experience. I believe einsteino is starting one of such programs soon.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shyshally(f): 1:39pm On Dec 14, 2018
Hello everyone. I came across this thread by chance today, and going through the post has shown me that I have a lot of work to do.
I'm a 600 level medical student hoping to graduate by next year. So it'll be till 2022 before I can safely leave Nigeria. I don't plan on getting into residency, rather I want to get a masters in the mental health field in Canada (which is a very underdeveloped field in Nigeria). I would love any advice that can be given to me, like what steps I can start to take before the time comes, best time to take the ielts, etc
Secondly, I don't know which visa is better to use, either the FSW program or the students visa then hopefully get PR afterwards.
Thanks and I await your responses

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:54pm On Dec 14, 2018
seunlara:
Hello seniors
I have questions
1) can a pr get job with the government of Canada?if yes how do you apply and what are the criteria of working with the government?
2) is there any one on the thread currently working with the government ?the person should kindly share is experience and the pros and cons of working with the government based on personal experience
3)I will be landing in January with my toddler . That will be my first time of traveling by air,can anyone or mums in the house tell me how to make my journey easy with toddler and luggage
Ps: I am a tailor o,nairalanders in ottawa should please patronize .A trial will convince you
1) Yes. (Not all jobs though. E.g Military and other jobs in private industry or government establishments that requires top secret clearance).

2) I work for the government. Goverment benefits are similar either fed, prov, or city/municipal.
Pros:
-Often unionized
-Pay is often better than private firms
-Job security
-Relaxed working conditions
-Lots of paid leaves and vacation that progesses with years on the job. Some get paid months off.
-Banked days off
-Excellent pension plan
-Excellent benefit for employee and family
-Flexible work hours
-Paternity leave
(There are more benefits, I don't remember them all).
Cons:
-Just like Nigeria, getting a government job here is tough. People rarely resign from gov jobs.
-Lots of team members that slack off at work
-You won't be a dynamic worker (You get to work most times in one specilization except you apply to work in other dept).
-Boring and monotonous
-Bureaucracy (Lots of it)
-Bonus payments are low or non existent.
-Man-know-man and nepotism is common.
-Hiring free
-Involvement of provincial or federal politicians (interferences)

3) Hopefully, someone can answer this.

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 2:03pm On Dec 14, 2018
salford1:

1) Yes. (Not all jobs though. E.g Military and other jobs in private industry or government establishments that requires top secret clearance).

2) I work for the government.
Pros:
-Often unionized
-Job security
-Banked days off
-Excellent pension plan
-Flexible work hours
Cons:
-Just like Nigeria, getting a government job here is tough. People rarely resign from gov jobs.
-You won't be a dynamic worker (You get to work most times in one specilization except you apply to work in other dept).

Hi, what does the bolded mean?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:07pm On Dec 14, 2018
Newbeecey:

Hi, what does the bolded mean?
It has 2 meanings at most gov work place
1) Banked Hours (also known as Time Off in Lieu) refers to hours worked over contracted hours but instead of receiving an overtime payment for these hours they are held (banked) to be taken as leave at a time in the future that is agreed between managers and individual staff. Usually, working four hours OT earns you a day off if you decide to bank it.

2) Irrespective of OT, you get every third fridays or mondays off to use for other commitments.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by snowlordng(m): 2:23pm On Dec 14, 2018
purplerain:

Front view

were is canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by seunlara(f): 2:24pm On Dec 14, 2018
Thank you @salford
How can one apply or should I ask how you got employed
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 2:41pm On Dec 14, 2018
seunlara:
Thank you @salford
How can one apply or should I ask how you got employed
Target crown cooperations and city/municipal jobs. The pay is usually higher than prov/fed. Apply and never give up applying, if that is what you want. Often times, there are locations that are hard to fill and such vacancies would be posted externally. One has a better chance at such (that is what i did, I targeted locations i knew were going to be hard to fill). Ensure you fill the diversity section in application forms. It is usually voluntary, but you could be used to fill their equal opportunity spot.

After 6months, you can decide to move to a desired location when a vacancy pops up. Most gov jobs would be posted internall first or at the same time when it is thrown to the street. Internal applications are first in line. I have also seen immigrants apply for low paid gov position at hard to fill locations and work themselves up to well paid ones (within one year) at desired locations through internal vacancies.

34 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 2:44pm On Dec 14, 2018
As long as current immigration conditions apply in 2022:
1. FSW PR (secure future first). Go through this thread: here
2. Study for Masters. Check @vcole's posts for more on doctors.

If immigration policy has changed by 2022 to favor applicants who studied in Canada:
1. Apply for Masters, get study visa.
2. Apply for PR once you meet the conditions.

shyshally:
Hello everyone. I came across this thread by chance today, and going through the post has shown me that I have a lot of work to do.
I'm a 600 level medical student hoping to graduate by next year. So it'll be till 2022 before I can safely leave Nigeria. I don't plan on getting into residency, rather I want to get a masters in the mental health field in Canada (which is a very underdeveloped field in Nigeria). I would love any advice that can be given to me, like what steps I can start to take before the time comes, best time to take the ielts, etc
Secondly, I don't know which visa is better to use, either the FSW program or the students visa then hopefully get PR afterwards.
Thanks and I await your responses
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 2:47pm On Dec 14, 2018
3. You can go through landing experiences. A lot of the newcomers had little children. Check this and this.
seunlara:
Hello seniors
I have questions

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sats: 2:52pm On Dec 14, 2018
salford1:

2) I work for the government. Goverment benefits are similar either fed, prov, or city/municipal.
Pros:
-Often unionized
-Job security
-Lots of paid leaves and vacation that progesses with years on the job. Some get paid months off.
-Banked days off
-Excellent pension plan
-Flexible work hours
-Paternity leave
(There are more benefits, I don't remember them all).
Cons:
-Man-know-man and nepotism is common.
-Hiring free
-Involvement of provincial or federal politicians

You speak with so much knowledge and experience
I appreciate your posts
It is helping me plan towards going to canada

Thank you sir

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:16pm On Dec 14, 2018
sats:

You speak with so much knowledge and experience
I appreciate your posts
It is helping me plan towards going to canada

Thank you sir
You are welcome sir. We are all learning. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Newbeecey: 4:11pm On Dec 14, 2018
Right. Thanks
salford1:

It has 2 meanings at most gov work place
1) Banked Hours (also known as Time Off in Lieu) refers to hours worked over contracted hours but instead of receiving an overtime payment for these hours they are held (banked) to be taken as leave at a time in the future that is agreed between managers and individual staff. Usually, working four hours OT earns you a day off if you decide to bank it.

2) Irrespective of OT, you get every third fridays or mondays off to use for other commitments.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rijo02: 6:46pm On Dec 14, 2018
According to the VFS tracker, my wifes passport has been sent from the Accra VO to VAC yesterday. My wife called VFS Lagos and was told that it takes between 5-7 days when the tracking updates to collection.

My question:
Please when someone notices from VFS tracking that his/her passport has been sent from the Accra VO to VFS. How long does it usually take for the passport to be ready for collection (even without VFS email or text notification)?. We are aware of the delay from VFS in updating stuff. Would it be ready but the system has not sent out the pickup mail?

Actually, we are in a tight corner as we have reserved a flight for Thursday. About to make payment hoping that the passport can be picked up by Monday. Any suggestions?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Luce: 8:20pm On Dec 14, 2018
Rijo02:
According to the VFS tracker, my wifes passport has been sent from the Accra VO to VAC yesterday. My wife called VFS Lagos and was told that it takes between 5-7 days when the tracking updates to collection.

My question:
Please when someone notices from VFS tracking that his/her passport has been sent from the Accra VO to VFS. How long does it usually take for the passport to be ready for collection (even without VFS email or text notification)?. We are aware of the delay from VFS in updating stuff. Would it be ready but the system has not sent out the pickup mail?

Actually, we are in a tight corner as we have reserved a flight for Thursday. About to make payment hoping that the passport can be picked up by Monday. Any suggestions?

Tracked mine and saw it had been dispatched on 15/11, went there 21/11 and it was there. Didn’t get the sms either; dunno about 4 days though, but if it’s not too inconvenient, you can just go and check on Monday.

P.S: Generally wouldn’t advise purchase of a non-refundable/changeable ticket till you get the passports back.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by blessings2017(m): 10:02pm On Dec 14, 2018
salford1:
In Canada, one can't "volunteer" or "work for free " for a for-profit organization. Most companies try to stay away from any action that could bring about a lawsuit.

Two ways to get around this:
1) padi to padi arrangee.
2) Employers that work in conjunction with recognized internship programs. There are schools, government or bridging programs that can help people work for free to gain Canadian experience. I believe einsteino is starting one of such programs soon.

I think there is an exception to your statement above.Going by the little experience I have as a foreign-trained lawyer (FTL) in Calgary looking for articling positions, you'd be shocked to find that most FTL opt for one-year unpaid articling jobs whereas others are being paid big bucks in some law firms. When you have looked for paid articling postions for 6 months yet no sign of uhuru, no be person go tell you make you just patch with one firm like that even if na free. Unpaid articling jobs is a norm in the legal circle and is publicly advertised even inside the library in Calgary Court house. lol.

I know a couple of colleagues doing it though I must warn that it's a suicide mission if you don't have family to support you. Imagine 'no major income for a year. Oh boy!

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (465) (466) (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.