Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (470) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979734 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:14am On Dec 16, 2018
It's been a little over a year I landed. God bless those who are keeping the thread running with their advice. So, I had a lot of stuff to tidy in naija, my immigrant visa was just stored in one envelope for months!!! My flight was just few weeks to the expiration of the visa and the irony of everything was I didn't accomplish my mission back home.

Flight was OK! for the 16hours long flight, I was the only one seated in my row; so I had a my own special first class and slept well on all seats.

I came with the mind of being on my own since I didn't have family or friends here. In reality, I had siblings who are citizens here but I was not relating with them due to.... . When things hooked me ehn, I had to swallow pride and run to my brother's house. My major fear was spending money when I'm not earning any.

The Job hunt was something else, even menial jobs I did not see..lol (for a short while though, especially the holiday period). Worked temp jobs, and oh! that feeling when you're told your services are no longer needed after 2weeks (not to talk of back ache and hand injuries). It took a while before I finally got a job in my field since my profession is a a licensed regulated one. Pay wasn't great but, that job in my resume paved way for me in getting interviews and other job offers. I've lived and worked in 5 different cities (my Canadian nomadic lifestyle)

The struggle is not all the same - so there's been this place I'd been applying to because of their competitive pay. I have two colleagues who got jobs in same place same month they landed. Some may have it easy as my colleagues; while others would have to struggle.

In all, be relentless. If you're not where you want to be, don't give up, it's just a matter of time. Never be scared to explore different options. I had that fear of the metropolitan cities especially the number one, but that was were a breakthrough came for me. I wasn't scared of changing jobs after all, I did not come to Canada to count the number of skyscrapers. I still have a very long way to go, but I'm in a far much better state than I was a year ago.

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 9jaincanada: 2:40am On Dec 16, 2018
seunlara:
Hello seniors
I have questions
1) can a pr get job with the government of Canada?if yes how do you apply and what are the criteria of working with the government?
2) is there any one on the thread currently working with the government ?the person should kindly share is experience and the pros and cons of working with the government based on personal experience
3)I will be landing in January with my toddler . That will be my first time of traveling by air,can anyone or mums in the house tell me how to make my journey easy with toddler and luggage
Ps: I am a tailor o,nairalanders in ottawa should please patronize .A trial will convince you

3) I wrote about how to manage travelling with children on my blog. Click on my profile to access the direct link. Wishing you a safe landing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehimadeking(m): 3:04am On Dec 16, 2018
Any new intake in Mohawk college, Hamilton, Canada looking for a flat mate should please contact me because I don't want to live with Indians. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dvash(f): 4:08am On Dec 16, 2018
Hello house

A big thank you to all the contributors, especially to those who go out of their way to help outside the thread, it's very inspiring.

I'm not sure if anyone on here will be able to help but I thought to just give it a try. On to my query, I was wondering if there's anyone here who works or who knows someone who works in a hospital/clinic that offers IVF / assisted conception services? I would really appreciate a connection for employment purposes.

Many thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Rijo02: 4:14am On Dec 16, 2018
Luce:

Tracked mine and saw it had been dispatched on 15/11, went there 21/11 and it was there. Didn’t get the sms either; dunno about 4 days though, but if it’s not too inconvenient, you can just go and check on Monday.

P.S: Generally wouldn’t advise purchase of a non-refundable/changeable ticket till you get the passports back.

Thanks for your reply @Luce..........It is quite resourceful. Just out of curiosity, when you got your Passport back, was there any indication of the time the documents actually arrived VAC. For example, I am assuming it might have been there on Tuesday (or even Monday) before you picked it up on Wednesday.
Nevertheless, she will go on Monday to see whats going on.

PS: I PMed you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by NaijaCanadian14(m): 6:15am On Dec 16, 2018
The government jobs here are competitive. And yes you can gwt a job with a PR, based on ur experience.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by NaijaCanadian14(m): 6:17am On Dec 16, 2018
I feel u bro! Welldone!!!

Esughusughu:
It's been a little over a year I landed. God bless those who are keeping the thread running with their advice. So, I had a lot of stuff to tidy in naija, my immigrant visa was just stored in one envelope for months!!! My flight was just few weeks to the expiration of the visa and the irony of everything was I didn't accomplish my mission back home.

Flight was OK! for the 16hours long flight, I was the only one seated in my row; so I had a my own special first class and slept well on all seats.

I came with the mind of being on my own since I didn't have family or friends here. In reality, I had siblings who are citizens here but I was not relating with them due to.... . When things hooked me ehn, I had to swallow pride and run to my brother's house. My major fear was spending money when I'm not earning any.

The Job hunt was something else, even menial jobs I did not see..lol (for a short while though, especially the holiday period). Worked temp jobs, and oh! that feeling when you're told your services are no longer needed after 2weeks (not to talk of back ache and hand injuries). It took a while before I finally got a job in my field since my profession is a a licensed regulated one. Pay wasn't great but, that job in my resume paved way for me in getting interviews and other job offers. I've lived and worked in 5 different cities (my Canadian nomadic lifestyle)

The struggle is not all the same - so there's been this place I'd been applying to because of their competitive pay. I have two colleagues who got jobs in same place same month they landed. Some may have it easy as my colleagues; while others would have to struggle.

In all, be relentless. If you're not where you want to be, don't give up, it's just a matter of time. Never be scared to explore different options. I had that fear of the metropolitan cities especially the number one, but that was were a breakthrough came for me. I wasn't scared of changing jobs after all, I did not come to Canada to count the number of skyscrapers. I still have a very long way to go, but I'm in a far much better state than I was a year ago.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by NaijaCanadian14(m): 6:23am On Dec 16, 2018
Hhhehehe... Oya do and come back to hubby! Love from Calgary.

Estac:
My stale landing gist. Plz pardon any typos cos I typed this out on my phone.

I've been meaning to write about my landing but work and Lagos traffic no give me time. Let me just rush this one here quick.

We're a family of 5 but hubby and I decided that he should go first without us and try and find his feet before the rest of us join him. But as PA, I had to land with him. So we booked Ethiopian Airways for sat Nov 24. Him one-way and me return. I took just one week off work to make the trip.

The journey was long and uneventful. We had no excess luggage issues seeing as only one person was staying behind. Got to the airport at about 11am for a 1.40pm flight and went Straight to check-in our luggage. I had bought a small pocket size travel scale off Jumia the week before for about 3.5k and the scale was surprisingly accurate. Completed check-in formalities and soon after we started boarding.

The flight from nigeria to Addis Ababa was FULL.(Nigerians Una too like waka) About half of the passengers were Dubai-bound. In-flight entertainment was OK (not great). The flight was for a little over 5hrs and we arrive Addis Ababa at about 9pm (7pm Nigerian time). Layover was about 2 hrs. Addis Ababa airport (and indeed all other airports I've been in) is an improvement from MMIA. Free Wi-Fi available and WORKING. (MMIA had free Wi-Fi too sha, I connected but it was not working.) spent my layover gisting with my kids and other family members via whatsapp.

Shortly after, we boarded next aircraft to Toronto with a one hour stop in Dublin. This flight was about 30% full (thankfully ). We were like one passenger to 3 seats so yours truly just converted the seats to bed and took off with wizkid in my ears to la-la land. We stopped at Dublin 7hrs later and the flight crew changed (maybe also refueled, I don't know ) but we didn't get off the plane.

We resumed the 8hr journey to Toronto afterwards. We were served meals at least 3x, maybe 4x on this flight by the time we got to Toronto. Arrived Toronto at about 7am Sunday (thanks to timezone), filled one landing card and went to join the queue to submit our COPR. there were just 3 officers on duty at the time, 2 female and a male. An Indian family of 4 before us was grilled by one of the female officers and asked to show POF. Abeg make una keep una POF just in case. The male officer turned down an asylum seeker, an African lady but I don't know weda she naija babe. She cried and begged but Na lie. He felt bad about it afterwards and his female colleagues castigated him for being a softie and being moved by her tears. They firmly assured him that he did the right thing. I also witnessed airport security arrest one guy, it's like he presented false papers. Anyway enuf amebo.

Soon it got to our turn. I had prayed to be sent to the male officer as he seemed to have a "heart". I Kukuma got him. He looked at our copr,asked if we had kids (before then, I didn't realize that our kids were noted on our copr sef), I quickly said yes, he asked why they're not with us, I told him I still have commitments in Nigeria and will be returning. He asked when are they coming and I told him. He seemed satisfied and asked us to take a seat. 10mins later he called us to sign our copr and gave us a form for changing our address for PR card cos we told him we had a temporary address (airbnb ). He dinor now say Welcome to Canada (when his mates were receiving training on how to receive new immigrants, he was playing candy crush, nonsense). Spent about an hour and half here.

Anyways, we left him and proceeded to baggage claim. By this time, our bags were one of the very few left there. We picked them up and went to check them into our last flight to Edmonton which departs at 10am. Got to Edmonton and was picked up by a family friend who took us to her house and welcomed us with poundo yam and correct ogbono soup. She also prepared rice and stew for us as takeaway to our airbnb.

So we had booked an airbnb for 5 nights ahead of the trip. The location of the airbnb was just awesome, the host was great and helpful. It was a two bedroom flat shared with the host who is a bachelor. Our room was ensuite with a walk-in closet. The house was really clean with a great view of the city. The location of the airbnb was so good that we spent Monday to Wednesday walking everywhere to get stuff done. Got SIN, SIM, Registered for health card, library card, discounted bus pass etc.

We were also house hunting for a one bedroom shared or bachelor apartment for hubby during this time knowing that we needed to exit our airbnb by Friday noon. The options were either too far from downtown or above our budget. On Thursday, we strolled to a new immigrant center located 10mins walk away from our airbnb. We were attended to by a nice Cameroonian who gave us lots of information and hooked hubby up with a contact at Breding. When we mentioned our house hunting challenges, he just put a call to a cousin of his who owns houses and rent rooms to people and just like that, problem solved. Viewed the available room that day, paid the landlord (he doesn't live there but comes around) and moved in the next day Friday.

My return flight was scheduled for 12.20am Saturday which meant I was to leave the house on Friday night. But ya girl carry Saturday for head as departure date and rocked Friday night away. Only to wake up on Saturday morning to google reminder of my trip. Trip that has since taken off while I was enjoying snow. I spent the whole of Saturday morning booking for another flight (Chai I suffered o). I finally secured a flight for Saturday evening but Na hubby survival money suffer am. That's how I lost my almost N300k becos Canada sweet me.

I arrived Lagos on Monday afternoon, instead of Sunday which was my original itinery. But thank God I arrived safely. I landed Lagos and somewhat regretted our decision to stagger our landing. After living the easy life for just one week, I no wan do Lagos again. I sat thru last night's episode of Lagos traffic for over 3 hours telling myself "you could have been in Edmonton now but just Lukatiu". Anyway, now I can't wait to go back home.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by NaijaCanadian14(m): 6:26am On Dec 16, 2018
God brought you here to prosper you! Welcome... You are favored.

jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST, PART II

So, I spent two weeks and some days in Toronto, trying to see if I can stay back there. During this period, I was consulting with landed seniors about life in Canada provinces and at the same time, I was applying for jobs in Ontario and other provinces. Also, my hosts were wonderful but few days after I landed, the husband started grumbling. He just wanted us to leave as soon as we can, and this is the same person who said they used good six months searching for a house in GTA, until they were able to get a 2 bedroom apartment.

Although, I chose Saskatchewan as my province of destination, I consulted again on my choice from a senior colleague who lives there. At last, I decided to leave for Edmonton, Alberta. The high minimum wage, low tax, relative "ease" of getting something to do and assurance of getting job after getting my certification done were the factors I considered in choosing Edmonton. Also, as someone who spent the last 3.5 years in Manchester, England, I believe Toronto is like London which I hated visiting, while Edmonton/Calgary should be like Manchester which I love 100 times more than London. Through, my 3.5 years stay in England, my visit to London does not count up to 10 times cos I hate "Lagos" life in England.

On Thursday, we left Ontario via Flair air. Our flight was 7am flight and had to leave our house around 4.30am to sort out our baggage. We had 6 checked-in baggage and all were overweight. This was because we got delivery of our food items from Nigeria on Monday. We paid heavily for the cabin baggage and checked-in baggage but this is a decision and move we have to make at the early stage. After boarding, flight was delayed for like an hour cos of the snow and the need to check that the aircraft is fit to fly. The flight time was 4 hours and some minutes to Edmonton from Toronto. Mildly dislocated my shoulder while lifting the overweight baggage, I will visit the Doctor when I get the green signal with my health registration.

A senior colleague of mine doing his PhD at University of Alberta came to pick us up at the airport. We packed our bags in the trunk and the back seat and prayed that we shouldn't meet police on our way cos we also didn't have a car seat for my baby. We got to the house I already paid for which a brand new basement, owned by a Nigeria. Someone from Edmonton WhatsApp group helped me checked it out and they were satisfied with the house. I made the security deposit a day before we flew to Edmonton and when we got to the house, the guy was at work. I called him and he directed me to where to get the key to the apartment. The basement was so lovely, new appliances and large bedrooms.

Immediately we dropped our bags, my senior colleague took us to where we ate poundo yam and efo riro around downtown, went to do some shopping and came back late. The landlord came over to say hi to us and he was happy to have us around, as his country people. We also had to remove nylon from some appliances and he apologized for not doing that before we came in. We liked it like that anyway cheesy

I'm happy I chose Edmonton finally and I want to thank Salford for giving me his audience when I was trying to decide where to go, members of Edmonton WhatsApp group who are always listening to me whenever I asked questions about areas to live, and lastly to TheCongo, you are God's sent and a jewel. You exceeded my expectation and it is only God that can reward your good gesture towards me. You showed me that there are people out there who can go out of their way to help fellow human being, you are worthy of emulation I must say. I won't forget my beautiful sister, HappyTBaby, you are too much.

Fellow NLders, I won't mind if you can help me thank TheCongo for what he did for me but please, don't ask me what he did sha grin

Lastly, we are in Canada to thrive and not to survive, let's cultivate the habit of helping each other. Let's post job adverts and any beneficial programs here. Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese are making it big time in western countries by helping themselves, let's do that for ourselves. Helping me does not mean you will be paid lower and me helping you does not mean I won't be able to pay my Bills.

The job hunt starts... Bye guys and thanks for reading my boring gist

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by temmytee1(f): 6:56am On Dec 16, 2018
Luce:

Thanks a lot for answering.
A friend took ponmo n this was flagged. She spent almost 2k cad just cos of ponmo.
It was a big issue. And she was flagged to be checked for the next 5 years anytime she comes into Canada.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Dan90s: 8:40am On Dec 16, 2018
Hello family, hope y’all good. I’ll be in Kamloops, BC on Christmas day and I’m still in search of where to stay till I get my own place, wondering if anybody can be of assistance. I’m currently in Ottawa staying with a family member...I’d really appreciate the assistance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mimimum: 10:12am On Dec 16, 2018
Beautiful story. We await your return. Do fast and come and give oga small heat abeg.

At the bolded: I need to buy the weighing scale too. Which of the ones in the attached Jumia pics below is the one you bought? I need to be sure I am buying a good one.
Estac:
My stale landing gist. Plz pardon any typos cos I typed this out on my phone.

The journey was long and uneventful. We had no excess luggage issues seeing as only one person was staying behind. Got to the airport at about 11am for a 1.40pm flight and went Straight to check-in our luggage. I had bought a small pocket size travel scale off Jumia the week before for about 3.5k and the scale was surprisingly accurate. Completed check-in formalities and soon after we started boarding.

Anyway, now I can't wait to go back home.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sparkle2k3: 10:54am On Dec 16, 2018
AZeD1:

Welcomde.

What a journey! Welcome !
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Luce: 11:05am On Dec 16, 2018
temmytee1:

A friend took ponmo n this was flagged. She spent almost 2k cad just cos of ponmo.
It was a big issue. And she was flagged to be checked for the next 5 years anytime she comes into Canada.

Ahh that sounds crazy. Better safe than sorry then.
I would have declared it anyway or just clarified with them first but I better abandon the thought altogether.
Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Estac: 11:12am On Dec 16, 2018
It's the white one with Jumia global on it. But I found some local listings for it too so I didn't buy it as Jumia global.
mimimum:
Beautiful story. We await your return. Do fast and come and give oga small heat abeg.

At the bolded: I need to buy the weighing scale too. Which of the ones in the attached Jumia pics below is the one you bought? I need to be sure I am buying a good one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Jumdah20: 1:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
What a lovely landing story Estac, i pray that you reunite with your husband in Canny with love.

I pray that you find favour everywhere you turn. As you prepare, may God be with you. Best wishes.

[quote author=Estac post=73874382]My stale landing gist. Plz pardon any typos cos I typed this out on my phone.

I've been meaning to write about my landing but work

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sistaj: 1:34pm On Dec 16, 2018
Hilarious read @Estac.Totally enjoyed it. Wishing you a speedy reunion.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunvick(m): 1:41pm On Dec 16, 2018
Oga, Like which area please?

maternal:

Everyone has their own reason. One shouldn't be too judgmental. The issue is some Toronto people aren't willing to look outside the GTA. That's problematic.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mimimum: 1:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
Can you help with details please? Jumia has shown me pepper one too many times, I don't want to go and buy rubbish.
Estac:
It's the white one with Jumia global on it. But I found some local listings for it too so I didn't buy it as Jumia global.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Estac: 1:47pm On Dec 16, 2018
mimimum:
Can you help with details please? Jumia has shown me pepper one too many times, I don't want to go and buy rubbish.

This is my order detail

12 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by sunvick(m): 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2018
Congratulations once more!!

Happy days ahead of you and yours in Canada!!!

@the BOLD, you wouldn't have said it any better.

jelmusboy:
BORING LANDING GIST, PART II

I'm happy I chose Edmonton finally and I want to thank Salford for giving me his audience when I was trying to decide where to go, members of Edmonton WhatsApp group who are always listening to me whenever I asked questions about areas to live, and lastly to TheCongo, you are God's sent and a jewel. You exceeded my expectation and it is only God that can reward your good gesture towards me. You showed me that there are people out there who can go out of their way to help fellow human being, you are worthy of emulation I must say. I won't forget my beautiful sister, HappyTBaby, you are too much.

Fellow NLders, I won't mind if you can help me thank TheCongo for what he did for me but please, don't ask me what he did sha grin

Lastly, we are in Canada to thrive and not to survive, let's cultivate the habit of helping each other. Let's post job adverts and any beneficial programs here. Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese are making it big time in western countries by helping themselves, let's do that for ourselves. Helping me does not mean you will be paid lower and me helping you does not mean I won't be able to pay my Bills.

The job hunt starts... Bye guys and thanks for reading my boring gist

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oluphilip2008(f): 2:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
Happy Sunday my dear Canny family. May I humbly request to be added to the Edmonton/Alberta Whatsapp group?
Thanks all.
@Mummyjaygirls

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2018
Merci! Much grateful for sharing your experience.

The time you landed doesn't matter. The gap enabled you to provide a much richer gist that will help those of yet to land to calibrate our expectations.

Again, thanks.

Esughusughu:

I came with the minc you're told your services ago.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2018
Word!

We can always disagree without feuding.
salford1:

Caveat: Info given on this thread are not absolute.

Nobody knows it all, and we all learn everyday. People here give information based on their experience. If you have any info (contrary or in support), please do not be reluctant to share, so everyone can learn. We can give contrary opinion without getting into a feud. Blessings2017 you quoted gave a contrary opinion without getting into a feud. We all learnt lots from his reply. cool

If everyone kept information to themselves, or shut down and keep it moving, this thread would have been dead a longtime ago.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 3:07pm On Dec 16, 2018
Sis pls, always contribute don't waka pass.

In the multitude of counselors there is safety. The more diverse the experience, the better we will be prepared. We can always disagree while having a discussion.

MissEmmy:
There isn't just an exception but so many exceptions to that statement. However I'm not one to go into a verbal feud with anyone. I just shut down and keep it moving. If people are not certain of the information they put out there, then they could at least do a little research or state it as a suggestion or personal observation instead of making it a "statement of fact".
I'm just saying...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by joo2018: 3:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
I like your style wink

Estac:
You mean several for the road tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Akingsqueen: 3:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
Send your WhatsApp number to melankev17@yahoo.com

oluphilip2008:
Happy Sunday my dear Canny family. May I humbly request to be added to the Edmonton/Alberta Whatsapp group?
Thanks all.
@Mummyjaygirls

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by mimimum: 3:44pm On Dec 16, 2018
Thanks a lot. This particular one will be shipped from overseas. Don't know if I can wait till when they say it will come.
Estac:

This is my order detail
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheCongo2: 4:02pm On Dec 16, 2018
MissEmmy:
There isn't just an exception but so many exceptions to that statement. However I'm not one to go into a verbal feud with anyone. I just shut down and keep it moving. If people are not certain of the information they put out there, then they could at least do a little research or state it as a suggestion or personal observation instead of making it a "statement of fact".
I'm just saying...

The law is the irrefutable statement of fact

It isn't everything that you see employers doing that is in alignment with the law.

As I have repeated it a number of time on this thread, to survive in the workforce in Canada people have to be their own lawyers.
People should familiarize themselves with the labor law and the Human Right code of their province of residence.
Each province has websites that provides details of the Human rights code and labor laws. The labour laws deal with pay, working hours , working conditions while the human rights code deal with discrimination issues.

You will be surprised how many employers in Canada whose internal policy is made of 1 or 2 lines that go against the law. Almost all employers in Canada would do something illegal. Given that most employees ignore the laws, nobody will ever find out the wrongdoing done by many employers. And often times even those employers don't know that their policy and procedures are illegal until they are face with a court case. Just as with immigration cases, dealing with the Human Right Tribunal or labor law is designed as DIY (Do it Yourself).
Unfortunately, when it comes to challenging the employers, most employees think they need a lawyer to file a complaint. (The same way many Nigerians think they need a agent for visa application). As a result of this, many illegal policies and practices set by employers are never challenged and will never changed.

I was once terminated by a major banking institution because they expected me to do something to which I objected. Based on the company internal policy, there was nothing wrong with what I was asked to do. However, based on the Ontario Human Right code (that I am very well vexed with), I was within my rights to object to that particular task. And when the employer terminated me, I initiated a complaint with the Ontario Human Right commission. We had a mediation before the trial. Under the mediation, the member of the Human Right Commission made it clear to the employer that the termination was unlawful and they would most likely lose the case if we ever went for trial. The mediation was the best option to resolve it.

To settle the case, the employer initially offered me $5000 which was a far cry from what I requested.
The employer indicated that when I started working for them I signed a form stipulating that I could never sue them for more than $5000. Then the member of the commission showed them again in the law that under the Human Rights commission that signature was void given that the employer can't make an employee sign a form to limit how much an employee can seek as a remedy in case of human rights complain. This employer was a major banking institution with big paid lawyers who didn't seem to know much about the Human Right code. Anyway, I accepted 60% of the amount that I original requested which was way more than the $5000 they wanted to give me. I was further told that this was a good settlement given that if we had gone for trial it was unlikely I could get that amount even if I had won the case.

I could go on with another case but I am on my way to church. But, I would save it for another day.

I just want to say that it isn't because you see employers do thing that you would conclude that it is acceptable. I repeat, if it doesn't go along with the Human Right code or Labour law of your province, it is ILLEGAL. And most employers in Canada would do 1 or 2 things illegal until someone challenge them with a court case. This is what the Human Right code labelled as institutional racism.

That is why I always urge each person to be his own lawyer. To keep up with the update of the Human Right website and Labor Law website of their province.

71 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
Ifeoma77:
Cough cough @Glitteringstar2 cheesy

Lol....make una no vex ooo. Make I go compose am. smiley

#OperationNoCarryOver. grin cheesy grin

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by GboyegaD(m): 4:46pm On Dec 16, 2018
adesbaba:
quick question
Having known that Canada rarely admits 2:2 grads for msc/MBA from the student visa thread n from those university's admission requirements page....

After Landing in Canny as a PR,can they consider taking a 2:2 grad of say 3.3cgpa for MSC/mba......cos I learnt the tuition will be paid as domestic student not international std...

#Justthinking#

They might or worse still, you might be required to take some intermediate classes like the 5xx level courses.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 16, 2018
joo2018:
LANDING GIST II

Nice one!

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.