Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,943 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979046 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 5:49pm On Aug 10, 2017
http://www.accesemployment.ca/index.php/planning-your-move-to-canada

Plan Your Job Search in Canada From Abroad

ACCES Employment provides support to job seekers who have obtained legal status to work in Canada or have been approved to immigrate to Canada.

If you have already been approved to immigrate to Canada, our pre-arrival employment program can help you prepare for your job search while you are still in your country of origin. Please see information below about our Canadian Employment Connections pre-arrival program.

If you are considering moving to Canada and require information about the immigration process, please click here for more information.

About Canadian Employment Connections:

The Canadian Employment Connections (CEC) program is a free pre-arrival employment program that offers virtual services to prepare internationally-trained professionals for the Canadian job market as they prepare to immigrate to Canada.

The program assumes a sector-focused approach, examining in-demand jobs across six Canadian sectors and the skills required to land these roles. There are four main components to the program: job search tools; Canadian business communication training; sector information and trends; and employer connections.

The program brings together ACCES Employment’s expertise and vast network of Canadian employers in the following sectors:

Engineering
Financial Services
Human Resources
Information Technology
Sales and Marketing
Supply Chain
Program Benefits:

Prepare for your job search from your country of residence even before your arrival in Canada
Build connections with ACCES Employment’s vast network of employers across Canada
Connect to potential job opportunities across Canada
Receive employment support regardless of where you plan to land in Canada
Access to self-directed online learning modules to prepare for the Canadian workplace
Receive one-to-one coaching from an employment consultant experienced in your sector
You may be eligible for this program if you:

Have been approved for Canadian permanent residency and are currently living outside of Canada
Plan to arrive in Canada within the next 1 to 6 months
Completed post-secondary education and at least 1 year of experience in one of the six sectors listed above
Are fluent in English
Are committed to completing an online training module of approximately 40 hours
Please click here to email a member of the Canadian Employment Connections team to learn more about registering for this pre-arrival program.

Canadian Employment Connections is funded by the Government of Canada.

Blackbuddy:

Yes it is, they have online guidance and mentoring programs for pre-arrival activities and you can also reserve a space in their upcoming professional programs so that when you land, you don't need to be on a waiting list. I had a guy in my cohort from Pakistan who booked a space in our course before he left his country and was able to join the start of the program 2 days after he landed! Before the program was concluded, he landed a role with Tangerine Bank but still completed the program as he felt he was learning a lot and then went on to resume at his job.

20 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2017
Please a quick urgent one:

about banking: which bank offers good packages for students (someone suggested CIBC...is this okay?)

Phone plane: which is best please. (Freedom??)

Please anyone online now should help me. Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dogice(m): 2:58am On Aug 11, 2017
chimah3:
Please a quick urgent one:

about banking: which bank offers good packages for students (someone suggested CIBC...is this okay?)

Phone plane: which is best please. (Freedom??)

Please anyone online now should help me. Thanks!

I would go with CIBC or RBC, you can hardly go wrong with either. I believe you meant phone service provider, Fido and Koodo usually offer the best deals for students. I believe Fido has unlimited Text, calls and data for $50 plus tax. Though I heard the speed gets slower after using 2Gb but not sure about that.

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by vcole: 6:02am On Aug 11, 2017
Hello everyone. Good to see that the thread is progressing.
@ehrnie, there is no need for you to commence the process for obtaining a Canadian drivers license since you are only going to do a short landing. Reason being that it's illegal to hold 2 operator licenses at the same time in most of not all the provinces. The UK license can be exchanged for a Canadian one when you eventually move as long a it's valid at the time.
I do not know what province you intend to land in but I can speak for Alberta based on my personal experience. Your pr card app is done at the airport. It would help if you provide an address for it to be mailed to at that time.
Your SIN can be obtained form the service canada office within a few minutes. Take your international passport and copr along.
Your health card....you apply at the nearest license and registry to you and the card gets mailed to you within 7 days.
A bank account can be opened in one day. I'll recommend Scotia bank. Call beforehand to schedule an appointment and take along your ID - international passport and copr. You'll need a proof of address. Easiest way to do that is to purchase a phone line and use the bill processed for that as proof of address. (Ensure you cancel your cell phone plan after the first month).

30 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 10:21am On Aug 11, 2017
vcole:
Hello everyone. Good to see that the thread is progressing.
@ehrnie, there is no need for you to commence the process for obtaining a Canadian drivers license since you are only going to do a short landing. Reason being that it's illegal to hold 2 operator licenses at the same time in most of not all the provinces. The UK license can be exchanged for a Canadian one when you eventually move as long a it's valid at the time.
I do not know what province you intend to land in but I can speak for Alberta based on my personal experience. Your pr card app is done at the airport. It would help if you provide an address for it to be mailed to at that time.
Your SIN can be obtained form the service canada office within a few minutes. Take your international passport and copr along.
Your health card....you apply at the nearest license and registry to you and the card gets mailed to you within 7 days.
A bank account can be opened in one day. I'll recommend Scotia bank. Call beforehand to schedule an appointment and take along your ID - international passport and copr. You'll need a proof of address. Easiest way to do that is to purchase a phone line and use the bill processed for that as proof of address. (Ensure you cancel your cell phone plan after the first month).

Hi vcole – many thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Much appreciated.

No – I don’t intend driving during the two weeks I will be in Canada, so I wouldn’t process the license at all. When I finally migrate, then I will exchange my UK license as advised.

I’m landing in Alberta so I find your response very appropriate. Yes, I will provide an address to mail my PR card to. Good to know I can get my health card in that short time. Woohoo!

I’ll also get the phone line and use the bill for the bank as advised.

Many thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 11:59am On Aug 11, 2017
dogice:

I would go with CIBC or RBC, you can hardly go wrong with either. I believe you meant phone service provider, Fido and Koodo usually offer the best deals for students. I believe Fido has unlimited Text, calls and data for $50 plus tax. Though I heard the speed gets slower after using 2Gb but not sure about that.

Thanks settled for CIBC. Even though I wasn't offered a credit card immediately. Is this meant to be!?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 12:09pm On Aug 11, 2017
Vcole, good to read from you again. How are you and yours?

chimah3:

Thanks settled for CIBC. Even though I wasn't offered a credit card immediately. Is this meant to be!?

Is there any bank that give CC on the spot? I would love to know.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dogice(m): 12:14pm On Aug 11, 2017
chimah3:

Haha, they hardly offer a credit card to newbies because you do not have a credit history. That's very normal. If you insist on getting a credit card with them, you could get a prepaid credit card. So you put money inside, spend it and pay it back in order to build your credit.

Also make sure you pay your phone bills on time. After about 6 months to a year, you should qualify to get a proper credit card.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 12:21pm On Aug 11, 2017
dogice:

Haha, they hardly offer a credit card to newbies because you do not have a credit history. That's very normal. If you insist on getting a credit card with them, you could get a prepaid credit card. So you put money inside, spend it and pay it back in order to build your credit.

Also make sure you pay your phone bills on time. After about 6 months to a year, you should qualify to get a proper credit card.

But paying my phone bills without a credit card is like wasting credit points..lol!

I do go back to the bank and ask them about the prepaid credit card.

Cus I do like to start building credits from day 1...lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dogice(m): 1:04pm On Aug 11, 2017
chimah3:

But paying my phone bills without a credit card is like wasting credit points..lol!

I do go back to the bank and ask them about the prepaid credit card.

Cus I do like to start building credits from day 1...lol

Confam!! I use my CC for all bills and transactions. At the end of the year, I usually get enough points to fly down south for free.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 1:11pm On Aug 11, 2017
dogice:

Confam!! I use my CC for all bills and transactions. At the end of the year, I usually get enough points to fly down south for free.

Imagine!!! These good things can't be passing me by o! Especially after the annoying tax on every damn thing.

But as a newbie, how do u advice I go about getting one !?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dogice(m): 1:27pm On Aug 11, 2017
chimah3:

Imagine!!! These good things can't be passing me by o! Especially after the annoying tax on every damn thing.

Your best bet is to get the prepaid for now. After about 6 months, call them to see if you're eligible for a proper CC. Sometimes you just have to start from the bottom. Then you build from there. You can also download the CIBC app on your phone to check your credit score for free that is if you have one.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 1:29pm On Aug 11, 2017
chimah3:

I came in on 25/07/2017. Went to rbc on 26/07/2017... applied for the newcomers package. I received my cc this tuesday with a limit of 1k on it.

I hope this helps.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 1:35pm On Aug 11, 2017
dogice:

Have seen some info from RBC about giving CC to new immigrants without credit history and even initiated the proces to open one overseas...Or have they discontinued that? http://www.rbc.com/newcomers/ Fine print must be read though grin

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 1:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
maziude:

I came in on 25/07/2017. Went to rbc on 26/07/2017... applied for the newcomers package. I received my cc this tuesday with a limit of 1k on it.

I hope this helps.

When the frog comes to tell you that the alligator is lying at the bottom of the pond you do not argue with it...Thanks @maziude cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 1:46pm On Aug 11, 2017
maziude:

I hope this helps.

Oh wow!

What documents were required.

Elders, please if CIBC doesn't give me a credit card and I go to another bank that is willing to, can I pull all my cash out and go to the new bank?

Hope it won't affect me!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:00pm On Aug 11, 2017
chimah3:

Oh wow!

Elders, please if CIBC doesn't give me a credit card and I go to another bank that is willing to, can I pull all my cash out and go to the new bank?

Hope it won't affect me!

You can actually get a proper credit card from CIBC when you open your account and request for one but it is not issued immediately. No bank gives credit card same day you open account as it has to be processed centrally from their head office credit unit. Based on their internal applicant scoring system, you get started with a credit card with a limit that ranges from $500 to $1,500 (or more, depending on the bank and how they score your profile). With good use and prompt payments of your credit bill, your limit can be increased later on. I started with RBC but requested only a debit card though they offered me their credit card. A week later, I opened another account with CIBC and they offered me a credit card with $1,500 limit. They later offered me an increase to $5,000.00 but I opted for just $4,000.00. They have now offered me another increase to $7,000 but I turned it down. You don't need a high limit card if you use the one you have conscientiously and pay back promptly, that is how you build a good credit score. Based on good credit history, you can access a mortgage later especially if you have a good, steady source of income. This applies to all banks please.

24 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dogice(m): 2:07pm On Aug 11, 2017
maziude:

I hope this helps.

Nice, I guess I'm wrong then. When I came in 2009, RBC and CIBC told me I had to wait for 6 months. Same with TD back then. Thanks for sharing that though
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 2:10pm On Aug 11, 2017
chimah3:

Oh wow!

Hope it won't affect me!

Just your study permit, passport and school offer...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 3:20pm On Aug 11, 2017
impish:
Hi,

Okay. Will check it. No, not coming on Saturday.....I wish, we leave Lagos at the end of this month.

Mrs. O, www.mycanadianfling.com

Mrs O!! How far na? Blog slow down? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 3:51pm On Aug 11, 2017
dogice:

Nice, I guess I'm wrong then. When I came in 2009, RBC and CIBC told me I had to wait for 6 months. Same with TD back then. Thanks for sharing that though

Go for Scotiabank then. They gave me CC of 2k. Within 24hrs of opening account and they said once I get a job I shld contact them to increase it to 5k CAD or USD

14 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 11, 2017
Hi guys,

It's good to finally join this forum. I've started reading from page 0...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MissShakara: 5:01pm On Aug 11, 2017
I have a credit card here in Nigeria with a limit of $2k, have had it for some years now with good history. Would it help me in anyway? Should I print the statement and come with it?

cc Ballerz, Blackbuddy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:09pm On Aug 11, 2017
MissShakara:
I have a credit card here in Nigeria with a limit of $2k, have had it for some years now with good history. Would it help me in anyway? Should I print the statement and come with it?

cc Ballerz, Blackbuddy

If it is not issued by a Canadian financial institution, it wont help much.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 5:31pm On Aug 11, 2017
Ballerz:

Go for Scotiabank then. They gave me CC of 2k. Within 24hrs of opening account and they said once I get a job I shld contact them to increase it to 5k CAD or USD

Nice. Do they give free one year banking?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 7:15pm On Aug 11, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Nice. Do they give free one year banking?

There are different options. There is one that you pay 3.95 CAD monthly for having the account. Transactions is limited to 12 ATM withdrawals monthly, unlimited POS transactions.

There is another that if you keep 3500 CAD balance, there won't be monthly fees and it is unlimited ATM Cash withdrawals.

Basically, review their services and select the one that best meet your need.

Another thing I did was that I had these "silly" FBN card they dumped my PTA in wen I was going to land. So I fund it in Nigeria with Dollars, withdraw on ATM in CAD and credit Scotiabank account that way I am not looking for ways to move funds across borders. (All i lose is 3 CAD cash withdrawal charge) I actually left the card with a friend when I returned to Nigeria. So I use the process to pay into my cc because I had a lot of people using my CC to pay for WES, PR application and other shoppings. (You know we like buying things in Nigeria, except the leaders have refused to buy common sense).
Cheers

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 8:40pm On Aug 11, 2017
^^Thanks alot for the breakdown.

$3,500 though. . . sad I'll explore my options.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by chimah3(m): 8:56pm On Aug 11, 2017
Blackbuddy:

You can actually get a proper credit card from CIBC when you open your account and request for one but it is not issued immediately. No bank gives credit card same day you open account as it has to be processed centrally from their head office credit unit. Based on their internal applicant scoring system, you get started with a credit card with a limit that ranges from $500 to $1,500 (or more, depending on the bank and how they score your profile). With good use and prompt payments of your credit bill, your limit can be increased later on. I started with RBC but requested only a debit card though they offered me their credit card. A week later, I opened another account with CIBC and they offered me a credit card with $1,500 limit. They later offered me an increase to $5,000.00 but I opted for just $4,000.00. They have now offered me another increase to $7,000 but I turned it down. You don't need a high limit card if you use the one you have conscientiously and pay back promptly, that is how you build a good credit score. Based on good credit history, you can access a mortgage later especially if you have a good, steady source of income. This applies to all banks please.

Now it makes more sense!!! Thanks man!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by papaking1(m): 7:00am On Aug 12, 2017
chimah3:

Scotia bank gave me and my wife CC with 2k each even though we were just 2 weeks old in Winnipeg.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by folamingo: 9:40am On Aug 12, 2017
Please can one operate more than one bank? E.g Have account with Scotiabank and RBC.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by olympus121: 9:49am On Aug 12, 2017
justwise:

Then forget about Canada and possibly US for the next 5yrs.

i guess using an immigration agent is a bad idea. should one do this by oneself?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ogunesan(m): 12:29pm On Aug 12, 2017
papaking1:

Scotia bank gave me and my wife CC with 2k each even though we were just 2 weeks old in Winnipeg.

Hello Sir, what your experience so far at Winnipeg? I will be in Winnipeg by ending of this month.
@Canadianfly what advice can you also give an immigrant coming to Winnipeg.

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.