Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979762 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 12:31pm On Aug 12, 2017
ogunesan:

Hello Sir, what your experience so far at Winnipeg? I will be in Winnipeg by ending of this month.
@Canadianfly what advice can you also give an immigrant coming to Winnipeg.
check your email I just replied your pm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Zenanted(m): 1:36pm On Aug 12, 2017
Zenanted:
I have been following this thread for a while now but I'm yet to read about anyone who lives in Canada or landed with a Temporary work permit... Does that mean that it doesn't work for Nigerians or what? Pls someone should clarify me because i once met somebody who wants to travel with the W-1 visa to Canada.

Thanks
I posted this earlier but yet to get a single response from anyone... Please respond to this abeg
@Blackbuddy
@Salford1
@Ballerz
@Canadianfly
@CanadianNurse
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 2:11pm On Aug 12, 2017
ogunesan:

Hello Sir, what your experience so far at Winnipeg? I will be in Winnipeg by ending of this month.
@Canadianfly what advice can you also give an immigrant coming to Winnipeg.
For an immigrant:

Well the very 1st advice would be BRACE YOURSELF FOR THE WINTER!

Winnipeg winter gets to -40C easily, so once you get there, make sure you buy yourself a padded jacket, thick gloves and ear muffs (if you don't have a car yet).
For getting apartments: the average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment ranges from $675 pm to about $1000. Depending on what part of city you live in. Two bedrooms start from $700. You can get apartments from kijiji.ca. Also get fairly used furniture from there. You can go to the GoodWill store on Portage Avenue (google it) to buy very good affordable furniture and household items, decor etc.

Safety wise: please stay away from downtown accommodation, because walking at wee hours downtown is not advisable. There are a number of aboriginals (what we call American Indians) downtown and some of them are up to no good. So just be cautious. Make sure when you go to view an apartment, you enquire about pets allowed or not. Try to look around the neighborhood just to make sure your neighbors ain't criminals lol. grin
You can buy your groceries at Superfoods, Walmart and oriental stores for ethnic foods. I'm clueless on Naija stores as I didn't really make an effort to break into the Nigerian community because I lived on the other side of the city and work had me choked. There's an RCCG church, and they run a shuttle service for members on Sunday. If you rather a non Nigerian Pentecostal church, there's another one somewhere around IKEA. Can't remember the name for the life of me, Nigerians attend too but it's a mixed church. Most Nigerians in Winnipeg live in the proximity of the U of M. I advice try to get somewhere around there so you are amongst your people.
Buses are very regular in the city, you can actually do without a car for the first 6 months.
For work, I advice you register with agencies asap, like Pinnacle and send them your CV. And you could get any office admin role very quickly. You can continue searching for your dream job whilst you do this, so you don't run low on funds.
Bank wise, I recommend BMO. But that's me personally. Because there's always a branch around the corner. But you can go with any of the ones mentioned here.
Am I leaving anything else out? Let me know

52 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 2:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
Zenanted:

I posted this earlier but yet to get a single response from anyone... Please respond to this abeg
@Blackbuddy
@Salford1
@Ballerz
@Canadianfly
@CanadianNurse

Nigerian traveling with work visa? I don't even think Nigeria is eligible for that class of visa. I'm not sure but I know that the only way to get a work permit is IN Canada. When you are there already. I could be wrong, but that's how I got mine. When I had a job offer I used that to apply whilst still in Canada. This was far back as 2011 though.
I know they're a lot of scams in Nigeria and agents parading that they can get one a work visa to go work in Canada, but that's impossible if you don't have a job offer. And that visa is probably fraudulent.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ogunesan(m): 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2017
CanadianNurse:
check your email I just replied your pm

Have replied too
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ogunesan(m): 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2017
Canadianfly:

For an immigrant:

Winnipeg winter gets to -40C easily, so once you get there, make sure you buy yourself a padded jacket, thick gloves and ear muffs (if you don't have a car yet).
Bank wise, I recommend BMO. But that's me personally. Because there's always a branch around the corner. But you can go with any of the ones mentioned here.

No you have covered everything for now. please I will get back to you if I still have any questions.
Thanks I will keep all this mind.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 2:59pm On Aug 12, 2017
Canadianfly:

For an immigrant:

For getting apartments: the average cost of a 1 bedroom apartment ranges from $675 pm to about $1000. Depending on what part of city you live in. Two bedrooms start from $700. You can get apartments from kijiji.ca. Also get fairly used furniture from there. You can go to the GoodWill store on Portage Avenue (google it) to buy very good affordable furniture and household items, decor etc.

Safety wise: please stay away from downtown accommodation, because walking at wee hours downtown is not advisable. There are a number of aboriginals (what we call American Indians) downtown and some of them are up to no good. So just be cautious. Make sure when you go to view an apartment, you enquire about pets allowed or not. Try to look around the neighborhood just to make sure your neighbors ain't criminals lol. grin
You can buy your groceries at Superfoods, Walmart and oriental stores for ethnic foods. I'm clueless on Naija stores as I didn't really make an effort to break into the Nigerian community because I lived on the other side of the city and work had me choked. There's an RCCG church, and they run a shuttle service for members on Sunday. If you rather a non Nigerian Pentecostal church, there's another one somewhere around IKEA. Can't remember the name for the life of me, Nigerians attend too but it's a mixed church. Most Nigerians in Winnipeg live in the proximity of the U of M. I advice try to get somewhere around there so you are amongst your people.
Buses are very regular in the city, you can actually do without a car for the first 6 months.
For work, I advice you register with agencies asap, like Pinnacle and send them your CV. And you could get any office admin role very quickly. You can continue searching for your dream job whilst you do this, so you don't run low on funds.
when you say aboriginals are up to no good please expantiate on that?
I thought portage Avenue is in downtown?

What kind of crimes happen there? So that we know their format and what to expect

For example anybody that is asking you to take him to an unknown address in lagos... Thats a format for robbery and extortion in lagos

Please enlighten us...

Safety first

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 3:10pm On Aug 12, 2017
Zenanted:

@Blackbuddy
@Salford1
@Ballerz
@Canadianfly
@CanadianNurse
I think it's possible but technically impossible because you must have a job first and your employer must go ahead to prove that there is no one already in Canada that is as competent as you are in that field... More cost for employers looking for cheap labour... So you see its extremely rare and can confidently be said to be negligible.... It is scam!! Run for ya life.. Agents are doing more harm than good as @sundaydammy

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 3:16pm On Aug 12, 2017
CanadianNurse:

What kind of crimes happen there? So that we know their format and what to expect

For example anybody that is asking you to take him to an unknown address in lagos... Thats a format for robbery and extortion in lagos

Please enlighten us...

Safety first

Not all aboriginals, but most of them tend to hang around downtown drunk, high and the likes. They get high on even mouthwash. Anything with alcohol in it. Especially on Friday night, they could approach your for money or "some change" and if you discharge them rudely, you could become potential target. Basically you could be robbed/jumped by them. Their men are very huge and tall, so the average Naija man sef has to be strong to overpower them. And they are usually in packs, next thing you know they gather around you and beating starts. Even cab drivers refuse them in their car when they're in packs coz they could decide not to pay after the ride and you can't beat them lol. Please note that they're the most marginalized group in Manitoba, and they use that to their advantage. I have friends who have been jumped, beaten and almost raped. If you are female, you have no business walking alone downtown on Friday after midnight please. During the day, you are very safe grin

Portage Ave runs through the heart of downtown. The Portage Ave AFTER Polo Park is safe, once the address start from 1500 Portage Ave and up is safe and predominantly white with families and good schools. Anything from 1500 Portage ave down, especially around the Portage place mall and U of W is not safe at wee hours. During day, you are fine. Nothing deny happen grin

I advice if you are heading to an unknown address, please use google earth first to see what you should expect when you arrive your destination. Apart from that, you are fine. And Winnipeg is better than Lagos oh abeg lol.

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2017
CanadianNurse:

Please enlighten us...

Safety first

Boss...

No worry, just shine your eye and limit your waka.

Like @canadianfly said, you just have to know the surrounding well before deciding to stay.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Xquisitee: 5:09pm On Aug 12, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I would love some info on some questions please. �
1.How easy/difficult would it be for a couple to survive in Canada working part time with a child?
2.Also please is there anyone here in the health sector? What is the likelihood of getting a good/ok health related part time job in Alberta or Ottawa? My hubby plans to go first and I join with our kid later cus I have to complete my one year clinicals in Naija so my main concern is how we would cope at that 1st period..any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by debris: 5:35pm On Aug 12, 2017
Canadianfly:

Nigerian traveling with work visa? I don't even think Nigeria is eligible for that class of visa. I'm not sure but I know that the only way to get a work permit is IN Canada. When you are there already. I could be wrong, but that's how I got mine. When I had a job offer I used that to apply whilst still in Canada. This was far back as 2011 though.
I know they're a lot of scams in Nigeria and agents parading that they can get one a work visa to go work in Canada, but that's impossible if you don't have a job offer. And that visa is probably fraudulent.

Bro you meant you only get legit work from agents only there in canada ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2017
debris:

Bro you meant you only get legit work from agents only there in canada ?

Huh?

And I'm not a bro oh. I'm female
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by debris: 5:59pm On Aug 12, 2017
Canadianfly:

Huh?

Read through again..thanks
sorry
Thanks Sis cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 12, 2017
Hi my lovely Canadian Nigerians,

Please which do you think is more lucrative in Canada, SAP Certification or CISA?

I'd appreciate as many responses please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 12, 2017
Canadianfly:

Huh?

And I'm not a bro oh. I'm female

cheesy My kind of response grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Xquisitee: 2:59am On Aug 13, 2017
Xquisitee:
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I would love some info on some questions please. �
1.How easy/difficult would it be for a couple to survive in Canada working part time with a child?
2.Also please is there anyone here in the health sector? What is the likelihood of getting a good/ok health related part time job in Alberta or Ottawa? My hubby plans to go first and I join with our kid later cus I have to complete my one year clinicals in Naija so my main concern is how we would cope at that 1st period..any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you
Any help pls?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 13, 2017
Mehn this forum is not bubbling as the Express entry one o... grin

I want to land briefly in Canada to apply for soc sec, PR card and all I need from them then I want to go back to America to chill. The reason for this is that my sis lives in America and I don't have any concrete person I can stay with in Canada whilst I look for a job ( I don't want to be paying for accommodation when I'm not working)

So my questions are;

1. Is this a feasible arrangement?

2. Can I fly back from America to Canada for job interviews if my PR Card has not arrived?

3. Can I ask for Skype interviews when I do secure an interview?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:07am On Aug 13, 2017
Wura27:

I want to land briefly in Canada to apply for soc sec, PR card and all I need from them then I want to go back to America to chill. The reason for this is that my sis lives in America and I don't have any concrete person I can stay with in Canada whilst I look for a job ( I don't want to be paying for accommodation when I'm not working)

So my questions are;

2. Can I fly back from America to Canada for job interviews if my PR Card has not arrived?

This thread na for big boys and girls living 5-6 hours behind Naija grin

Here are my thoughts for your Q from personal experience

1. It is a feasible arrangement but a very difficult one.

2. You cannot leave Canada without you PR card. That's what lets you back in.

3. Yes you can ask for that, but will most likely be declined. Employers need to know you are there and ready to start. Asking for Skype interviews dictates to them you'll need their help for work visa and may not believe you have PR in Canada. Even if you say you live in another province and willing to relocate, you will most likely fib at some point. Also, say you are in Atlanta, and your job interview is in Edmonton, how quick do you think you'll find a ticket below $700 in that short period of time? Another thing, your chilling in Yankee will make you comfortable, thereby lengthen your job search process becoz you know "nothing dey happen" grin

My advice, stay in Canada, do Airbnb and actively search for work. That's how you'll find in much quicker time.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 13, 2017
grin grin Finally a response!!

Thanks very much, guess I'd just have to sort out accommodation in Canada.

Canadianfly:

This thread na for big boys and girls living 5-6 hours behind Naija grin

Here are my thoughts for your Q from personal experience

1. It is a feasible arrangement but a very difficult one.

2. You cannot leave Canada without you PR card. That's what lets you back in.

3. Yes you can ask for that, but will most likely be declined. Employers need to know you are there and ready to start. Asking for Skype interviews dictates to them you'll need their help for work visa and may not believe you have PR in Canada. Even if you say you live in another province and willing to relocate, you will most likely fib at some point. Also, say you are in Atlanta, and your job interview is in Edmonton, how quick do you think you'll find a ticket below $700 in that short period of time? Another thing, your chilling in Yankee will make you comfortable, thereby lengthen your job search process becoz you know "nothing dey happen" grin

My advice, stay in Canada, do Airbnb and actively search for work. That's how you'll find in much quicker time.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 10:34am On Aug 13, 2017
happy sunday my lovely people. please i'm getting conflicting views on carrying above 10k dollars on the flight to Canada. we would like to carry all our funds with us when leaving to avoid delays in transferring them from Nigeria. what is the standard procedure? do we have to declare the actual amount here in Nigeria? hope they wont start stressing us if we do? how about over in Canada, will therenot be money laundering concerns? please the experienced folks should advice this jjc abeg. don't wanna use my own hand to put myself in trouble o

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by CanadianNurse: 10:49am On Aug 13, 2017
pauloverdi:
happy sunday my lovely people. please i'm getting conflicting views on carrying above 10k dollars on the flight to Canada. we would like to carry all our funds with us when leaving to avoid delays in transferring them from Nigeria. what is the standard procedure? do we have to declare the actual amount here in Nigeria? hope they wont start stressing us if we do? how about over in Canada, will therenot be money laundering concerns? please the experienced folks should advice this jjc abeg. don't wanna use my own hand to put myself in trouble o
as long a you declare... You have no problems with CBSA....

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 3:14pm On Aug 13, 2017
Wura27:
Hi my lovely Canadian Nigerians,

Please which do you think is more lucrative in Canada, SAP Certification or CISA?

I'd appreciate as many responses please

Hi , are you a recent graduate? Experience over certifications , certifications are lovely thou.

But in General its experience.
Not to avoid your question i think Security has more jobs there are other enterprise applications competing with SAP , like oracle , microsoft dynamics , salesforce etc.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Bawss1(m): 4:26pm On Aug 13, 2017
Brector:

why curse if u dont av d ansa just let somebody else ansa d question, it is not a do or die issue it is just a question.
Moreover there questions about other options that maybe available for him as a visitor but u only choose to base ur response on only one

Dude, it is not just a question as you innocently put it. You know what you are asking is illegal and if you didn't know this thread does not address those kinds of issues. Go read up on these threads https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled https://www.nairaland.com/2103860/canada-visit-tourist-visa-discussion and https://www.nairaland.com/3948393/canadian-student-visa-thread-part.

There always has to be someone who will mess up things for everyone else.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 4:41pm On Aug 13, 2017
Xquisitee:

1. It depends on your status. But It'd be very difficult. But nobody starves here. You'd be eligible for a lot of gov't benefits. Also which city you live in plays a big role as well.

2. This would depend on where you got your degree from, what you plan to do, and have you met Canadian standards. No way will you just land from naija and start touching patients. You can go through this web site.

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/careers/Page12720.aspx

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 5:04pm On Aug 13, 2017
Wura27:

So my questions are;

1. No. Start building roots, credit, etc in Canada. Other than looking for a job, there's a lot of other things new comers should focus on when coming. Such as getting a Canadian drivers license and all.

2. No. You need that PR card to enter. And once the Canadian government realizes what you're doing, and they feel you won't meet the required days you're suppose to be in Canada physically, they'd strip your PR card away without you knowing.

3. That's up to the employer. But chances are if they have to Skype you in X (Pick a state) they'd rather just go with a local candidate.

4. Lastly you're not a Canadian citizen so you'd need a visa to enter the US. They won't give you a visa unless you've established roots in Canada and usually have a full time job. The US visa for a Canadian PR is usually 10 years. But you're only allowed to spend 6 months in the US out of the year. So you may be chillin in the US for over 6 months, become inadmissible (which is a 10 year ban), then the gov't of Canada may strip your PR card. So you may not have any status with either country. My friend just come to Canada, build roots, get a job, and go visit your family now and then in the US. The US is literally next door. When you become a Canadian citizen then you can come and leave as you please. But for now respect yourself.

Some articles with examples.

If you’ve been a PR for less than 5 years, you still have to worry about residence requirements.
Why?
Because they visa officer will determine if you could meet the residency requirement at the 5 year mark!
So for example if you get PR, then immediately leave the country for 3.5 years, the visa officer will determine you can only be resident for 1.5 years in the 5 year period since you received PR.
You will lose PR and you won’t be able to enter the country.  Not good.

http://immigrationcanada.pro/permanent-residence/maintain-permanent-residence-living-overseas/

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/2016/09/02/toronto-woman-loses-permanent-residency-in-moscow.html

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:49pm On Aug 13, 2017
maternal:

1. It depends on your status. But It'd be very difficult. But nobody starves here. You'd be eligible for a lot of gov't benefits. Also which city you live in plays a big role as well.

2. This would depend on where you got your degree from, what you plan to do, and have you met Canadian standards. No way will you just land from naija and start touching patients. You can go through this web site.

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/careers/Page12720.aspx

Mr. Maternal, I will be disturbing you in the coming months oh biko. As I have my heart set on residing in Ottawa when we eventually move to Canada. grin

I will need all the pointers I can get. Real estate, affordable area, etc.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 13, 2017

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 7:15pm On Aug 13, 2017
GlitteringStar:

We "Ottawans" don dey plenty. grin wink cool

wink cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.