Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979374 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 4:09am On Aug 16, 2017
Guitarlife:

Please I have a bachelors in electrical eng and masters in electrical machines and power systems from nigeria.

What steps can I take to obtain my license..

Am waiting for PR.

CanadianNurse:
do you mean pages 1-10 of this thread or you mean 10pages back?
If possible please share the link

To be granted a licence to practise professional engineering in a canadian province, an applicant must:

1. Meet your province of residence stipulated academic requirements for licensure (i.e. hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation board (CEAB)-accredited program, or possess equivalent qualification, and if required, successfully complete any technical exam(s) if there are deficiencies in applicant's academic background.
Your document would be evaluated, there could be one of the 3 outcomes
a. Rejection
b. Approval (No need for exams)
c. Exams assigned (FE plus other exams specific to your discipline). This option is common if you did not study in Canada.

2. Fulfill the engineering work experience requirements i.e. (demonstrate at least 48 months of verifiable, acceptable engineering experience, at least 12 months of which must be acquired in a Canadian jurisdiction under the tutorship of a licensed professional engineer). Your experience from your home country must be at the same level as that of an engineer in Canada, else it could be discounted, and you would need more than 12 months of experience in Canada as an Engineer in training.

Note that getting that 12 months in a Canadian jurisdiction could be very challenging. At this stage, you would still be referred to as an EIT and not an engineer. Checking vacancies on job sites, networking, dropping resume, or contacting agencies helping new immigrants might be able to help here at this stage.

3. Pass the Professional Practice Examination (PPE) i.e. ethics, professional practice, engineering law and professional liability (2 parts exams, general and discipline specific).

4. PEng Designation

11 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Edilanco: 4:42am On Aug 16, 2017
Hi guys, is there any Nigerian students presently at the University of Windsor? Please am kinda stranded.... Old guys.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by studyexec: 6:31am On Aug 16, 2017
ltee:
Hello to my seniors and everyone on the group.

I am currently awaiting Copr and I need advise on landing especially getting a job.

I am a quantity surveyor usually known as construction estimator in Canada, about 8years work experience on various projects and PMP certified.

Please what are my chances of getting a job?
Where do you propose I can get good construction jobs?
I would also like to network with people in this field and perhaps join a whatsapp group for people landing.

Secondly, my wife is a dentist she also needs a mentor in her field too.

Thank you as you drop in you precious advise.

Trust your relocation plans are going well.
I found this 'construction cost consultant' vacancy on the job bank and thought of you.
For the role, the employer seems to want Indigenous peoples, Newcomers to Canada, Persons with disabilities, Veterans.
https: //www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/24081905
It may be of interest to you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ltee: 7:19am On Aug 16, 2017
Thanks for the support bro, the prep is going well.

I am currently working on packaging and repacking my resume and cover letter and started sending to test the market. Obviously I still need to do alot of work in this area.

I have also registered with CIQS for assessment so I can enrol for a bridging programme by the time I land. Similarly my wife has registered with NDEB.

We also attended the planning for Canada orientation and trying to follow the MAP.

Ita alot of work but this is where we are now.

Thank you.

studyexec:

Trust your relocation plans are going well.
I found this 'construction cost consultant' vacancy on the job bank and thought of you.
For the role, the employer seems to want Indigenous peoples, Newcomers to Canada, Persons with disabilities, Veterans.
https: //www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/24081905
It may be of interest to you.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by IloveCanada: 7:36am On Aug 16, 2017

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabekee: 10:20am On Aug 16, 2017
Ambidextrause:
I am just biding time till I become one of @blackbuddy's coachees. I'm already a fan! I think he is a purveyor of good tidings.

blackbuddy please I need your email address
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabekee: 10:42am On Aug 16, 2017
MummyJaygirls:
pls ooohhh This is calling on all past, recent and future PPR holders Portharcourt and environs.....Imo,Abia,Bayelsa,Delta,Ebonyi, Anambra etcc.......

I have been reliably informed that an IOM(Pre arrival Orientation) session can be arranged for us with venue in portharcourt in November if we can make up to 15 participants.
Enugu just had a session and others upcoming are in lag and Abuja..
Pls anyone interested should indicate.
Thanks
mummyjaygirls I am interested
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 10:45am On Aug 16, 2017
czaratwork:
For those who got letter from FRSC, please how did you request for the letter (by hand or via email) and who did you tell them to send the letter to (did you collect the letter yourself or did you ask them to send to an address) if yes to address, which address are they to send it to?. i would also appreciate a sample of the letter.

thanks

4. Fast and furious letter (letter to FRSC for driving experience)
The Corps Marshal
Federal Road Safety Commission
No. 3 Maputo Street,
Zone 3, Wuse,
Abuja

Month X, 2017

Dear Sir,
APPLICATION TO OBTAIN WRITTEN AUTHENTICATION OF MY LICENSED DRIVING EXPERIENCE FROM FRSC AS THE NIGERIAN LICENSING AGENCY.
Sir, I am writing to humbly request for the authentication of the number of years of my driving experience in Nigeria from the Federal Road Safety Commission, Nigeria
This is to enable me present proof of the number of years of driving experience I have in Nigeria to the Canadian Ministry of Transportation.
My first driving license was issued in 1960. I have attached a copy of my current driver’s license (L/No ABC12345678) as issued by your agency.
I look forward to hearing you as soon as possible.
Kind regards
Mr Aki and PawPaw

This was the letter I wrote to them. You can change the Addressee to the one attached to your state. And you can write the letter as you deem fit. The crux of the message is that "Eskis Sir, Biko, I need reference letter" They will issue the letter and attached a copy of your system generated data. you can stipulate where you want them to post the letter to.

Cheers

I got the above from this thread but can't remember who exactly as i saved it out to a word document for future use. No plagiarism intended.

13 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 10:53am On Aug 16, 2017
Thanks been looking for it. just as i was about to post that i have seen it on page 42 of this thread, i saw your response. wonderful people we have here.
XX01:

I got the above from this thread but can't remember who exactly as i saved it out to a word document for future use. No plagiarism intended.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2017
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Siga: 12:36pm On Aug 16, 2017
Nice thread... keep it up guys...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tlomo: 6:14pm On Aug 16, 2017
Good day everyone here. I have an uncle going to new Brunswick in October but just need first hand information on how to settle down easily. he got his PR through PNP and any information will be highly appreciated.Thank U all for the wonderful job U guys are doing on this thread and NL travel section as a whole.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maziude: 8:06pm On Aug 16, 2017
tlomo:
Good day everyone here. I have an uncle going to new Brunswick in October but just need first hand information on how to settle down easily. he got his PR through PNP and any information will be highly appreciated.Thank U all for the wonderful job U guys are doing on this thread and NL travel section as a whole.

Congratulations to your uncle.

But I think it will be nice also if your uncle "appears" (lol) here and ask specific questions that he needs answers to. That way he would get first class info.

Just saying though.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by follyzee: 9:12pm On Aug 16, 2017
Hello House

I'm new on this forum and I have taken time to scan thru the previous pages. I must commend the detailed responses, supports n advice being given.

I'm an express entry candidate awaiting COPR, however I have been trying to get all necessary info.

I am contemplating living in Saskatchewan with my family.
Pls what is the cheap route there ie which airport is adviSable and which airline.

2 Pls I don't seem to understand the frsc issue. Am I suppose to get a letter from them b4 leaving nigeria

3 pls would really appreciate if someone living in Saskatchewan can give a vivid description and advice on which area to live in

4 regarding my occupation, I'm an accountant with ACCA, I will appreciate any advise from someone in my field

Thanks alot as I await ur responses

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by pauloverdi: 9:45am On Aug 17, 2017
Hello house. God bless you all for your insightful questions and responses. Please can anyone advice on the kind of jobs a person with marketing experience from a nigerian bank and a science first degree can search for in canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2017
pauloverdi:
Hello house. God bless you all for your insightful questions and responses. Please can anyone advice on the kind of jobs a person with marketing experience from a nigerian bank and a science first degree can search for in canada

There are 2 broad categorizations for someone with your background to consider as a start; Customer Service Representative (this is what tellers/cashiers are known as here) and Financial Service Representative (this is what bank marketers/relationship officers are known as). Other positions to consider are Call Center Agent, Financial Advisor, Mortgage Advisor, Card Product Agent, etc.
To get an idea of what is available, check Indeed.ca, eluta, Workopolis, glassdoor and other job sites like this, https://ca.indeed.com/Banking-jobs

For bank certifications to increase your chances when you land and start your job search consider the IFC and CSC from CSI, https://www.csi.ca/student/en_ca/home.xhtml

13 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MysteryBud: 2:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 2:14pm On Aug 17, 2017
AwesomeGod:

Hello,
I am new to this forum and looking to migrate to Canada. I will like to ask if the city I choose while creating a profile for express entry can be changed when i get there? If you are NOT a provincial nominee but received ITA direct, you can move to a different city from that indicated in your application In other words, do i have to move to the particular location I used in calculating my eligibility? If you are a provincial nominee, you can move to any city within your nominating province only
Also how does one get around the POF? My understanding is that you must have the amount in your account before you even start to create your profile? I am self employed and do not receive a payslip? This issue has been discussed severally in the Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program thread, I suggest you go there to read the many extensive suggestions concerning this, https://www.nairaland.com/2624318/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled How do i work around this? I look forward to your response. God bless you.

Hi, hope the above helps you out.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AwesomeGod: 3:55pm On Aug 17, 2017
Yes it did. Thanks a lot. By the way, I sent a request for your email if that is ok.

Blackbuddy:

Hi, hope the above helps you out.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Cheriesparkle: 7:00pm On Aug 17, 2017
Hello house.

Been reading this thread and i must commend everyone's effort who has contributed in one way or another.
From my observation so far it is obvious that there are specific profession which are seriously cashing out and i would need some help with my current situation so i am able to make the right choice as to where i would stay when i migrate.

I currently hold a Business degree and also an MBA in the same field. My work experience is not in my field considering the fact that i had to work part time for survival through out my studying in the UK. And i just have one year work experience during my Nysc last year.
Please what certifications can i do to boost my career.

Seem like IT in Canada is serious HOT CAKE shocked shocked. Please can someone advice me on the various IT certifications u can take. I don't know if there is any certification like business technology or something that can ebable me combine business and IT.

Plenty thanks in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 7:38pm On Aug 17, 2017
Olabekee:
mummyjaygirls I am interested

Register on www.planningforcanada.gc.ca available dates will be communicated to you

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 7:44pm On Aug 17, 2017
MysteryBud:
Hi All,

I am new on here. Just some quick questions.

I am moving to ca by first quarter of next year with my family. I am due to give birth by the end of this year.
As regard current employment status in Nigeria, I am still undergoing nysc but will be done by the last quarter of this year. I work in a global professional services firm (one of the big 4s) as a consultant. I want to know what the opportunities in consulting look like in Ontario and the best city for settlement in that regard.

How helpful will my experience with this global consulting firm be in landing a job there in Canada. Also, is it advisable I stay as long as I can with this consulting firm to get increased years of experience or does this not matter as I plan to stop work after my nysc is done and await my baby's arrival and care for it more considering movement is in sight for my family and I. (I understand Canadian experience matters more, but is there a chance that if I spend more years working with them, it would benefit me more than otherwise or does this outrightly not matter)

A response would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Have u got ppr? If yes, y don't u try to go have ur baby in canny instead cos if born outside canny its another long process to include the baby
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MysteryBud: 8:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Have u got ppr? If yes, y don't u try to go have ur baby in canny instead cos if born outside canny its another long process to include the baby

Thank you for your response mummyjaygirls.
No, not yet but in view by God's grace.
I would really like an advise on the work part.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Olabekee: 8:46pm On Aug 17, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Register on www.planningforcanada.gc.ca available dates will be communicated to you
thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ehrnie: 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2017
Hi All - I have an enquiry about APEGA Registration (for engineers) and I believe someone can help.

So I had my credential evaluation completed via WES, which what I used for my EE application. I have received my PR now.

To get myself prepared for Canada, I decided to register with APEGA to get EIT status. So, I applied for an upgrade of my WES report (i.e. I applied for the course-by-course evaluation). My understanding is that my universities do not have to send my transcripts, degree certs or complete any verification again since this was done previously. Strangely, I got an email from WES few days after applying for the upgrade that my application is pending because they are awaiting verification from my universtity. I am wondering why my university will verify what has already been verified.

I have sent two emails to WES via their contact page and yet no reply. I was on the phone this evening to a representative that was insisting my uni has to verify my transcript. I called again 2 hours after and spoke to another person. She also said the same thing (makes me think they have a scripted message they just read out to everyone). When she saw I wasn't having it, she said she will forward my enquiry to the appropriate dept and they will be in contact with me.

Please has anyone experienced this? Also, what medium can I use to call-out WES...as it is now this email and phone calls ain't working.

Sorry for my lengthy post...whew.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Babachi: 11:28am On Aug 18, 2017
follyzee:
Hello House

I'm new on this forum and I have taken time to scan thru the previous pages. I must commend the detailed responses, supports n advice being given.

I'm an express entry candidate awaiting COPR, however I have been trying to get all necessary info.

Pls what is the cheap route there ie which airport is adviSable and which airline.

2 Pls I don't seem to understand the frsc issue. Am I suppose to get a letter from them b4 leaving nigeria

3 pls would really appreciate if someone living in Saskatchewan can give a vivid description and advice on which area to live in

4 regarding my occupation, I'm an accountant with ACCA, I will appreciate any advise from someone in my field

Check out jumiatravel or wakanow website for good flight deals to Canada
Yeah you can get a letter from FRSC before travelling. Someone posted the link a few pages back. My uncle also said its possible to get the letter from the Nigerian high commission in Canada for about 20dollars

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 12:19pm On Aug 18, 2017
Hi landed peeps, please could anyone resident in Calgary or Regina tell us about the city from his or her own point of view? Info such as safe areas, high brow areas, areas with good schools, placesand areas to steer clear of, where to get things cheap etc etc etc. Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Issyman(m): 1:28pm On Aug 18, 2017
Babachi:

Check out jumiatravel or wakanow website for good flight deals to Canada
Yeah you can get a letter from FRSC before travelling. Someone posted the link a few pages back. My uncle also said its possible to get the letter from the Nigerian high commission in Canada for about 20dollars

you can also check travelstart.com or ethiopia and Egypt airline for good fares.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nwandy218: 6:35pm On Aug 18, 2017
Hello Fam,

Please we are still in research and decision stage and we need your help. Family of 4, an infant and a toddler. Is it possible to land and process PR in Ottawa but live in Gatineau/ Quebec. Will I be allowed to enroll my children in Que daycare ? I speak french, so language is not a barrier but got ITA through FSW.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 8:34pm On Aug 18, 2017
[I will give you detailed narration on my ACCA to CPA conversion on Sunday when I have full access to internet. I am still on it though. For your cheap flights try travelpaddy.com quote author=follyzee post=59543605]Hello House

[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blingyrie: 9:04pm On Aug 18, 2017
czaratwork:
[I will give you detailed narration on my ACCA to CPA conversion on Sunday when I have full access to internet. I am still on it though. For your cheap flights try travelpaddy.com quote author=follyzee post=59543605]Hello House

Pls when did u submit your pp at Accra for stamping? Wch vo processed ya app? Mine is being delayed

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.