Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1976520 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2017
happymumtobe:

I was thinking you should have done those courses in your bsc as that is the reason you have to send your transcript. I did those courses already in my bsc.

Will check the Athabaska university though....thanks for the info
If it is not more than 10 years then that should do.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 2:39pm On Sep 07, 2017
I'll like to know if I can get a good paying HR job easily in Ontario after doing a Masters degree in HR in a Canadian University.

Hamiltondreamer:

Hi what question do you want answered? Am not in HR but about to switch careers . I have read about it extensively so I think I can answer some questions

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Arielle: 2:57pm On Sep 07, 2017
britiko:

I'm in HR and in Toronto.
To be relevant in this field you need to write the certification exams like Cke 1&2 to be a Certified Human Resource Professional. That will be your starting point and you can move up from there....
You could also do other certifications depending on ur area of expertise such as payroll certifications, compensation and benefits, etc

You will also register to be a member of HRPA. Human Resources Professional Association. They usually organize job fairs and you can apply to HR jobs from their portal.

If you have the required skill sets for a job; you won't be unemployed. You will definitely find something.

Also, while searching for jobs you could offer to volunteer with united ways,Costi,Ymca,etc. Volunteering is a big thing in Canada and looks good on your resume as an immigrant.

Wow thanks! This is really helpful
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
Ytechconst:

I've heard about this. The firms link is:

http://esq6travels.com/joboffer/

http://esq6travels.com

Their forms claims they are representing a recruitment firm in Canada:

http://elbfirm.com

I have two friends who have put in for this through the and this is the 6th month, thus far they have tracked their application on http://elbfirm.com they have been offered two openings each in two locations in Canada to choose from. They are awaiting final approval of the selected choice and also to receive offer Letter.

I'm following them on the process to see what comes out of it.

Below are some screenshots of the process one of them shared with me.

They are both in the construction field as I am, so they are going in for Construction Foreman jobs.

I'm also interested but I want to see the outcome of theirs.

Also this ESQ6 company office exist.

Let's all see what comes out of this.

Thanks for sharing this. A search on ICCRC registry for registered consultants turned up no result for ELB, the named firm in Canada. A search on BBB also showed turned up nothing. That being said, it would be nice to know the outcome of the process for your friends.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
There are different types of people in this group. There are the pessimists, the supposed realists and the optimists.

A friend of mine who got PR from express entry just got a really good job in Ontario and she hasn't even landed! She doesn't have any foreign experience and no foreign education. She works with a "multinational" in Naija.

I would soon post my story too! With God all things are possible.

I choose to be among the optimists. Which one are you?

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ciga22: 3:10pm On Sep 07, 2017
Good evening honorable nairalanders, as i am feeling now i really want to move to Canada, i live in Abuja Nigeria and i am tired of the whole situation in Nigeria. I studied Civil Engr with a GPA of 3.12 in a good reputable university here in Nigeria but its not as i thought it would be after 4yrs of schooling. I have saved $2600 since my stay in Abj and i intend to travel to Canada and make a living for myself. Any Nairalander in Canada shuld help and advice me. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Arielle: 3:11pm On Sep 07, 2017
Ballerz:

Hi.
HR is not that difficult to break into.
Step 1. Kite your CV on those websites and see what kind of response you get or how many responses. For instance if you get recruiters scrambling to get your attention you will have the feel you doing the right thing

Step 2. Network with people within that location on LinkedIn

Step dydx Register with the professional body recognised in your location. HRPA is for Ontario. I got admitted into two bodies (Ontario and Alberta) but selected to stick with Ontario because I don't have 1100 CDN to be paying annually for membership fees and not that CPHR is recognised in Ontario. It is not recognised. Mbok, no time to waste money.

I can share personal experience and strategies some1 have engaged so far. Not fully landed but has attended quite a number of interviews via Skype. They all want him to show face to progress to final stage... so he is showing face soon grin. I posted a video on acing interviews. You can review it and adhere to some of the guidelines.

What i can tell you is there is need for HR skill set but competition is high too so you must bring your A game to the table.
What else specifically do you want to know, I may be able to answer one or two.
Cheers

Many many thanks! I'm not a landed immigrant but planning to go as a student and I'm currently looking at schools. ( I will also have my 2 kids with me). I am between Toronto and Winnipeg because I have family friends there. I am hoping to apply for PR after school so I'm looking at the easiest province to get PR and jobs. I'm not too keen on Winnipeg because of the cold. I prefer Toronto because of the opportunities. The expense, though! And I hear its more difficult to get PR as a student in Ontario. How true is that? Any advice would be great. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 3:17pm On Sep 07, 2017
Arielle:

Many many thanks! I'm not a landed immigrant but planning to go as a student and I'm currently looking at schools. ( I will also have my 2 kids with me). I am between Toronto and Winnipeg because I have family friends there. I am hoping to apply for PR after school so I'm looking at the easiest province to get PR and jobs. I'm not too keen on Winnipeg because of the cold. I prefer Toronto because of the opportunities. The expense, though! And I hear its more difficult to get PR as a student in Ontario. How true is that? Any advice would be great. Thanks
Lived in Winnipeg and I can tell you for free, you'll get PR quicker in Winnipeg than Toronto. Manitoba will nominate you in a heartbeat after your studies. I know it's cold but you gotta decide what you desire most? Something's gotta give.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Arielle: 3:41pm On Sep 07, 2017
Canadianfly:

Lived in Winnipeg and I can tell you for free, you'll get PR quicker in Winnipeg than Toronto. Manitoba will nominate you in a heartbeat after your studies. I know it's cold but you gotta decide what you desire most? Something's gotta give.

Thanks for the heads up. I suspected that but my kids have been grumbling about 'Winterpeg'! How do you guys cope??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cochtrane(m): 4:27pm On Sep 07, 2017
Canadianfly:

Anytime I see your name, Toyo baby comes to mind grin
Nollywood or ponpon Nigerian music? Which one has been playing in your head? grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cochtrane(m): 4:30pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:

There are different people in this group. There are the pessimists, the supposed realists and the optimists.

A friend of mine who got PR form express entry just got a really good job in Ontario and she hasn't even landed! She doesn't have any foreign experience and no foreign education. She works with a "multinational" in Naija.

Nice. I'm an optimist.
Just curious. Why is multinational in quote?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 07, 2017
LOL. Because I can't give info on the particular name of the company she works but it's an organization with offices in a lot of countries.

cochtrane:

Nice. I'm an optimist.
Just curious. Why is multinational in quote?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 4:37pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:

There are different people in this group. There are the pessimists, the supposed realists and the optimists.

A friend of mine who got PR form express entry just got a really good job in Ontario and she hasn't even landed! She doesn't have any foreign experience and no foreign education. She works with a "multinational" in Naija.

So you now agree that there is no one size fits all. When Brother Maternal kept telling someone without Canada education, he has zero chance and he said is just being a realist and you were supporting his theory. Oga... go to that corner, kneel down, face the wall, raise up your hand and open your mouth wide grin grin tongue

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:

LOL. Because I can't give info on the particular name of the company she works but it's an organization with offices in a lot of countries.

Hello Wura27 PM ma

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dtush(f): 4:39pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:
There are different types of people in this group. There are the pessimists, the supposed realists and the optimists.

A friend of mine who got PR from express entry just got a really good job in Ontario and she hasn't even landed! She doesn't have any foreign experience and no foreign education. She works with a "multinational" in Naija.

My sister, abeg post how she went about the waka. I need that good job before i land as bills will not wait for me with my brother enrolled in his undergrad in CA already. or can i pm u

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 4:43pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:

So just to be clear, this was NOT an intra-company transfer to Canada, but a job with a different company?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 4:56pm On Sep 07, 2017
cochtrane:

Nollywood or ponpon Nigerian music? Which one has been playing in your head? grin
Hahaaha both oh cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:01pm On Sep 07, 2017
Arielle:

Thanks for the heads up. I suspected that but my kids have been grumbling about 'Winterpeg'! How do you guys cope??
You just cope. Even the Canadians that live there are not used to the weather. But you must get around your daily life.
Look for my previous posts about living in Winnipeg on this thread. Your kids will adjust even more than you, so don't worry about them trust me. Also check honey86's posts. Anything you want to know about the city, I will answer you to the best of my abilities.
Don't be scared of snow grin
You can always move to Toronto when you have your PR and "learnt" the country. You'll be fine
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:05pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:

That is not the definition of a multinational company. You had me thinking the likes of Shell grin

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 5:08pm On Sep 07, 2017
Ballerz:

So you now agree that there is no one size fits all. When Brother Maternal kept telling someone without Canada education, he has zero chance and he said is just being a realist and you were supporting his theory. Oga... go to that corner, kneel down, face the wall, raise up your hand and open your mouth wide grin grin tongue
Lmao! That's true sef. Bia Wura27, which one are you really? You were just crying fear a few pages back and how you are having second thoughts on the whole moving to Canada dream. Now you are telling folks how dreams come through out here? In fact you need to kneel down and hands up grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 07, 2017
Lol I know what a multinational is so trust me when I say it is. The Head office is not in Naija but she works in their Naija office

Canadianfly:

That is not the definition of a multinational company. You had me thinking the likes of Shell grin

@yooku Yes, it is a job with a different company. Same job function as the one in Naija but a completely different company.

Like working as an IS Consultant with KPMG Naija and getting a job as an IS Consultant with PWC Canada. This is just an example.

Yooku:

So just to be clear, this was NOT an intra-company transfer to Canada, but a job with a different company?

grin grin Hahaahaha.... I don't even want to be hearing his stories again. I'd just stick to the positive stories and strive towards that.... #lawofattraction

Ballerz:

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cochtrane(m): 5:55pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:

@yooku Yes, it is a job with a different company. Same job function as the one in Naija but a completely different company.

Like working as an IS Consultant with KPMG Naija and getting a job as an IS Consultant with PWC Canada. This is just an example.

Do you think the fact that she has a PR already before applying played a role? Or did they just hire her right off the bat?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by philip3(m): 6:17pm On Sep 07, 2017
hi guys.
just wondering if anyone has any information on a career in procurement in Canada? did some research and saw BC are including purchasing manager as an in demand job in the province.
my first degree is in engineering however I have since crossed into procurement.
any ideas on networking or certification or even interning?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 07, 2017
Funny thing is she got the job via the same job bank that we've been abusing. Not from the nonsense notifications they send o, she was searching for what she wanted. She has been telling me to search but I just never really believed any one could get a job before landing.

dtush:

My sister, abeg post how she went about the waka. I need that good job before i land as bills will not wait for me with my brother enrolled in his undergrad in CA already. or can i pm u

Now that I can't say.... I asked her and she said maybe.... I personally think the organization she works with in Naija, her Naija experience, and her success in the interview. She did Skype interviews and said the second one was rigorous and lasted about an hour and a half.

cochtrane:

Do you think the fact that she has a PR already before applying played a role? Or did they just hire her right off the bat?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 7:05pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:
Funny thing is she got the job via the same Canada bank that we've been abusing. Not from the nonsense notifications they send o, she was searching for what she wanted. She has been telling me to search but I just never really believed any one could get a job before landing.

because you kept listening to maternal.... runs away grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oddysey(m): 7:29pm On Sep 07, 2017
Hello good people,

Please could anyone offer advice/direction on public/community health practice in Canada? My wife is a Medical Doctor and also has a Masters in Public Health. She worked with WHO on contract for a while as Local Govt Area Facilitator in Port Harcourt - they go to communities to sensitise, give talks, vaccinate and monitor for outbreak of epidemic diseases, etc.

We are expecting PR and would appreciate any info that might be helpful in this regard. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bbaby84(f): 8:59pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:
Lol trust me its a multinational. The Head office is not in Naija but she works in their Naija office

grin grin Hahaahaha.... I don't even want to be hearing his stories again. I'd just stick to the positive stories and strive towards that.... #lawofattraction

I'm almost sure it's McKinsey.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 07, 2017
yimiton:
I'll like to know if I can get a good paying HR job easily in Ontario after doing a Masters degree in HR in a Canadian University.

Like @baller has stated HR has opportunities. Doing a masters may not be the best thing to do .I think getting the certification should be your first priority

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 11:02pm On Sep 07, 2017
Canadianfly:

u took that outta my mouth...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 11:22pm On Sep 07, 2017
Wura27:
Funny thing is she got the job via the same Canada bank that we've been abusing. Not from the nonsense notifications they send o, she was searching for what she wanted. She has been telling me to search but I just never really believed any one could get a job before landing.

Now that I can't say.... I asked her and she said maybe.... I personally think the organization she works with in Naija, her Naija experience, and her success in the interview. She did Skype interviews and said the second one was rigorous and lasted about an hour and a half.

Is it the former mandatory one when creating a CIC profile? #teamoptimisticrealist grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 1:32am On Sep 08, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Is it the former mandatory one when creating a CIC profile? #teamoptimisticrealist grin

Canada Job Bank you mean?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 1:33am On Sep 08, 2017
Wura27:

You mean Job Bank right?....Not Canada Bank.....been wondering which of the Canadian "banks" we've been abusing grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.