Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,414 members, 7,781,201 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1963268 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Saintp(m): 6:24am On Sep 17, 2017
salford1:

Yes...Power, mostly distribution.

Seen.

NEPA man. we no get light for weeks now ooo. I hope sey u no dey take light or cut people light carry their wire for Canada. Lol

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Meel: 8:45am On Sep 17, 2017
Ekpekus:

So let me start with the Not so good news....

*1* , (for Medical profession) job experience in Nigeria, no matter how many years (Housejob, NYSC,MO,Reg, S-Reg, Consultancy) is not acknowledged by the Canadian system.

*No matter where you were trained, as far as your job experience is only in Nigeria, it doesn't count*

The only countries job experience are acknowledged by Canada are
*1. USA
2. UK
3. AUSTRALIA
4. IRELAND
5. SOUTH AFRICA
There were 5 ways to get into the Canadian system

*1st Pathwaykiss
If you have 4yrs of work experience in ANY SPECIALTY in any of the 5 countries (USA, UK, Australia,Ireland or South Africa), you will be absorbed directly into the Canadian medical system....you'd just only take an EVALUATION EXAM....

*Prognosis* :- very favorable, evidenced by the fact that that's the route even Canadian citizens are taking knowing that direct entry into their system is very difficult.....

*2nd Pathway:*
If you have 2yrs Internship in FAMILY MEDICINE in any of the aforementioned countries, you'd be absorbed directly too, as a Family Physician after taking an Evaluation Exam.....

Then the main advice is that Rural areas have a high demand for Family Physicians, and the pay is more, the stress is Less....

*Prognosis* :- highly favorable and highly recommended....as evidenced by confirmation from another doctor.

There is freedom and flexibility in the rural practice...

The doctors are fresh...

*KIV* :-
They both adviced doctors to get Married before rural practice because you will know /see everyone as patients....
And here, once someone has become your patient, there are some papers and hyperformalities (doctor-patient clauses) you have to sort out before marrying the person....�

They both adviced that it actually takes a while (i.e. through the above routes to be established, but that when you start earning, you will know it is WORTH THE journey/ SACRIFICE.

Then, if FAMILY MEDICINE is not your major end point, after being a registered doctor, you can then apply into any other specialty that you now desire...

Eg...if I like to specialize in O&G....thenn I go to Ireland to do 2yrs Internship in FAMILY MEDICINE, then enter Canada, get registered, and I now want to go into the O&G, I can now get Specialization opportunity and start O&G.

*NB: the main point is, the salary is not child's play when you get registered here....*

*3rd Pathway* : -

*Academic Route--*
That is to come in for Masters degree, get permanent residence and start doing their exams (EVALUATION and QUALIFYING EXAMS part1&2)...then get into the system...

*Prognosis* :- very poor.....
Evidenced by the fact that 80% of those that took that route end up as research assistants and teachers in College and universities...(even though the pay is good, but can't be compared with Clinical practice)....

They say many of our Regs and Consultants are trapped there as well....

And then just continue to PhD level.

*4th Pathway* :- (almost like the 3rd)
To come in for Masters (Funded by the School) , get up to PhD level, work a bit and then apply directly into Specialization (still after the examination) then enter the system...

The issue is that on the journey to PhD, you'd be engaged with teaching sciences, and you will be comfortable and may not have the time to start seating for the Licensing exams....

*Prognosis:* again, they said the majority of foreigners who take that route end up becoming Professors (since they're already high up the academic ladder) and keep teaching, never getting into the clinicals...
The pay for Profs is quite higher than ordinary lecturers, and writing thesis will not allow you prepare for "children's exam....

The only catch for the PhD holders is a stable job and theyre easily accepted when they apply for specialization.

What of other health practitioners apart from doctors??

Medical Laboratory scientists to be specific, do there experience doesn't matter no matter there years of experience in Nigeria.

And what can you say about Biomedical science as a career in terms of Job availability there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Hephgirl: 9:15am On Sep 17, 2017
salford1:

You can indeed dress fashionable in winter if you are ready to spend some money. I have only worn an ugly winter boot once. for guys, there are timberland boots and Nike Lunar Force 1. My everyday footwear in winter is the Lf1 by nike.
Jackets..you have canadian goose, Under armour, North face, columbia and some other fancy ones out there.
oh yer .... nice
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 2:54pm On Sep 17, 2017
Please I need help oh.

Having received our PPR (still feeling the euphoria of that email) we're trying to decide when to make the move. Our decision will be based heavily on our 3.5 year old son's school.

Being that he will be 4 in February, will he be allowed to start kindergarten this year? If yes, when does the academic year start? If no, when do we have to register him in a school district and when can he start?

We intend to settle in London, Ontario.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 3:29pm On Sep 17, 2017
yimiton:
Please I need help oh.

Having received our PPR (still feeling the euphoria of that email) we're trying to decide when to make the move. Our decision will be based heavily on our 3.5 year old son's school.

Being that he will be 4 in February, will he be allowed to start kindergarten this year? If yes, when does the academic year start? If no, when do we have to register him in a school district and when can he start?

We intend to settle in London, Ontario.

From what I read, your son will not be allowed to start school this year. He will start pre-KG next year.

A child will have to be 4years old by 31st December to be allowed to start school in September of that year.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 4:28pm On Sep 17, 2017
Thanks.
SlowlybtSurely:

From what I read, your son will not be allowed to start school this year. He will start pre-KG next year.

A child will have to be 4years old by 31st December to be allowed to start school in September of that year.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yimiton(f): 4:35pm On Sep 17, 2017
impish:
Dear Nwandy,

Hmmmm.....this is a good question. We stocked up on Vitamin C and prayed, and left it at that. It also helps that we hardly ever visit the hospital in Nigeria.

I am not certain that this was the right approach.

Mrs. O
www.mycanadianfling.com

I thought the 3 months health insurance was compulsory?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by edababa007(m): 7:17pm On Sep 17, 2017
Hello House,

Please am in need of 2 bed (apartment/basement) in Calgary. Landing this October., Will appreciate any assistance.

Thx

obeadeniyi@gmail.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 9:56pm On Sep 17, 2017
caon:
lol,I need to chat wit u privately

Send a mail to my Gmail.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 11:26pm On Sep 17, 2017
Long Post Alert
I was scheduled to fly with BA on Thursday Sept 14,2017.
Plan was to leave the house 4.30am and get to the airport for 5am unfortunately the cab man did not come on time. I got to the airport with 7 bags.

I had planned to pay for 5 extra bags at the rate of 200 dollars per bag. I got there they said all my bags were over weight. I said proceed I will pay for the charges. (I just wanted to board). She said all my bags were over weight. 7 bags became 8 bags. Split into 2 x 23kg and 6 x32kg. They billed me 1,890 which i paid (they were shocked), me sef was not thinking of the Naira equivalent if not, I for run but because I already had two interviews booked for the next day. BA lands 8.30 Toronto time. I had scheduled one interview for 11am and another for 3pm. So na the appointment dey my mind not the money I was throwing at extra and excess baggages (wasting)

On my way upstairs, NIS said they need to confirm my cash, I brought it out to count because they said they need physical confirmation since it is more than 10k. They told me to come to corner (I knew the implication of corner things, I said no) from there I went upstairs to board that is when they called my name that my attention is needed down stairs

On getting there I realised one of their staff in the course of assisting and commotion of "we need to take off" had removed the wine I wanted to chill and relax with fried chicken had removed it from my hand luggage and kept into a check-in luggage. Dammmmnnnn... It broke and damaged all my clothes in that bag which were mostly whites.

I still said let's take off, I dont mind. I will sort out the damaged bags when I get to destination, then later they said no that I need to sort out the bags and they need to take off. That is how i did not fly o.

First thing I did was to collect my flenty flenty money i had paid as excess and extra luggage. I asked them to put me on the next flight, that was when nightmare started. "You need to get in touch with your agent, since you did not buy directly from us, we cannot reschedule you". Called Travelstart (The worst agent in terms of customer service. They are ever non responsive.) From 8am i kept calling and did not reach them until 10.30am. While waiting for Travelstart, I decided to go the cargo route. Then I was told they will not come until 9.30am. So i became a refugee moving with my loads. Good thing is that the cab man that took me to the airport, i did not dismiss him.

Airfrance finally came and gave me an invoice of 184,000 for 192kg. Did the calculations still better than 1890 USD BA was going to collect. Then they said i will pay some fees - clearing agency, NDLEA, customs etc. Bottom line everything came to about 260k. Which was still acceptable. Meanwhile i was waiting for travelstart to confirm which flight they were putting me on. They came back and said the next available flight is Wednesday 20th. I said ok proceed. Then.... they came back again and said BA put a comment "Partial No show...." and because of this comment they cannot reschedule, that I have to get in touch with BA.

Some1 advised that since they had issued me boarding pass, they are obligated to put me on the next available flight at no extra cost, because it is their headache since i already have a boarding pass. Friday Morning 5am, 15th September, took off to go rake for BA (on what they mean by partial no show). The lady simply said "your agent do not know what they are doing. This was the same comment I put for others that we disembarked and their agents has rebooked them and the ones that bought from us were put on a flight for this morning" The Manager or colleague said, "Just delete all the comment so that they will not have any other excuse"
Waited till 9.30am before travelstart line will get opened, while waiting, I immediately went to same travelstart website and booked another flight on Egypt air for Sunday 17th September. Which was the cheapest i could see (540k). Made payment via bank transfer. So when they came online, they wanted to start stories, I said "for the fact that I have a Boarding pass, it is not my headache put me on the next flight or give me a full refund. Wole was the one that picked the call, later he called his supervisor (Victoria Awo something....) after narrating all that happened she was stammering about full refund but when i imsisted that I have boarding pass and I will shred them on social media and especially twitter. I said i no longer wish to speak to you but your supervisor, She said she is the supervisor. I said, i mean the supervisor's Supervisor and i threatened social media action. She said I should give her some minutes she will revert to me. Then I said please confirm my payment for Egypt. So you have two options now, put me on a BA flight and refund the Egypt or confirm my egypt ticket and refund my BA.

15 mins later she came back that she has spoken to the operations manager who said it is easier for them to put me on BA for Sunday and refund the Egypt and they are forwarding the request to South Africa Office. Thereafter I mailed the interviewers and rescheduled since it was confirmed that Sunday is a Go day either Egypt or BA, I will be airborne.

At 5pm she now came and said they will be refunding BA but will not be giving me my full 530k but 454k and they will confirm the Egypt ticket. Another drama started that i must collect my full refund. They said the 250 dollars penalty is from Air canada. I said you knw what, since I am a Canadian resident, send me a mail and I will sue Aircanada. She ran off the phone again and said I will get back to you.

Now that my Egypt Ticket is confirmed for Sunday. I started planning for Sunday. I had not eaten better food in 48hours. I returned to my house as a refugee since everything was sold and the house stripped. With ticket confirmed, I logged onto Egypt and purchased 4 extra bags which was meant to be 150 Dollars but buying online you get 20% discount. To pay for extra luggage became another nightmare. I really wanted this prepayment because what BA charged 210 USD (Even though on their website it says 200 USD) for is what I am going to get for 120 USD. The portal on egypt was not working, tracked them down on FB, they sent me a mail to send the request to. They responded to the email and gave me a number to call. (Calling Egypt from Nigeria is soooo expensive) I call Canada and US for one hour and i pay like 475 Naira but this egypt was less than 20 minutes and i saw 1635 as call charge.
Bottom line, I was able to make the purchase of 4 extra bags at 490 USD (because they charged in Dirhams) After the payment I was finally at peace. I decided to cargo the remaining 100kg of load from Nigeria to Toronto.
Sunday 17th September, I got to airport very well ahead of time. My scale was now very accurate because I went to purchase a new digital scale to get my readings right as the previous scale was really a deceiver.

Time for check-in started, put my stuffs on the scale, they were quite good. Told the dude to bubble wrap them and paid 1k per Bag. Got to the counter, told them i had paid for 4 extra bags. They asked for receipts and to sight the Credit card, which I presented. They rescaled my loads and were reading 26, 26, 25, 23, 23, 25. I simply told them their scale is faulty and went to call the bubble wrap guy. We confirmed their scale had shifted a bit forward, so they let me pass. Then, they said I should put hand luggage on scale which read 18kg. He said it was high. I told him it is laptop and books in there (Because I had 2 laptops and 1 tablet). I opened it for him and they were so kind and said split it and have a third carry-on which was just meant to be two. It was this same carry on, BA was adamnat that it must not exceed 2 that they messed up my whole trip. Everything work together for Good sha, because i collected my plenty Benjamins back, paid it cheaper on Egyptair and discovered how to do Cargo business. I will soon open my own african shop in Brampton/Missisauga. Please watch out.

On my way to Board, encountered immigration again. First trouble, that I filled the form with green pen. He gave me back the form and a blue pen to start tracing. I said never. Give me a new form to fill. I am not going to retrace anything. He said, He does not have another form, I said I will not retrace since your form did not indicate a particular ink I am at liberty to fill in whatever ink. His supervisor came and started story of can you fill Bank instruments in Green. I said yes, specifically when I was in Zenith Bank 10 years ago, we had a customer whose instruction says, his check must be written in green ink, u honour any other color, he will sue you.

So money matters, since I was travelling with over 10k USD, she said the Bank only gives 4k, I said yes I am at liberty to buy from Black market. She asked for receipt from aboki, I sid i dont have. She now started saying what will she fill on the system bla bla. I said fill whatever you like. I do not have aboki receipts and I have declared my cash. I have offered to show you transactions outflow from my account to aboki. She asked for my business card, I said I do not have. I mentioned i worked with XXXX and we are known globally, she said something, I responded "who knows Nigeria Immigration beyond this country. She said after oil, they generate the highest revenue. I said, na FIRS with over 4trn aanual revenue. She told her otondo colleague not process the form cos i do not have receipt from aboki cos there is nothing for her fill as evidence of funds. That her inputting the details here will reflect in the system in toronto.... For real? like she is talking to a novice. I simply said can I go? She said yes. I said thank you and I left. (All her tactics to make me shake body was checkmated.

I boarded o and it has been smooth.... I am typing this epistle on board enroute to Cairo, after which I am off to prepare for my Toastings with the interviewers.

Lesson point
1.Get an accurate scale and do not exceed your 23kg
Don't be late to the airport. Try get there at least 2 hours before the official check in time. This will give you enough time to catch your breathe after moving plenty bags

2. Do not fly BA if you know you have load because airport purchase was charged 210 dollars even though website said 200

3.Don't buy your ticket from Agents especially travelstart, if you can help it (Though they get you cheap fares and options) because when complications like this arises, carrier, will say get in touch with Agent

4. If you know you will have extra luggage, just buy online, that 20% discount makes alot of sense. 600 Dollars became 490 Dollars.

5. In every situation, always see the good side. Myself and someone I met on this forum are already planning on the implementation of our business line. Watch out.

6. There is a 15k discount code on travelstart TSLIL15000. You can use it if your are yet to book your ticket. Thank me later.
Cheers Folks

115 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tollu: 7:02am On Sep 18, 2017
Ballerz, that was a long and satisfying read.

I like your conclusions especially the new business line part wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 7:25am On Sep 18, 2017
Chineke! What if you were traveling with kids? shocked angry

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by XX01(f): 8:37am On Sep 18, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Exactly my thoughts as I read through. My mouth was just open and my eyes wanted to pop out.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by yokus(f): 9:01am On Sep 18, 2017
@Ballerz Wow... i imagined the whole thing in my mind. Wow, very very interesting read.
I have 1st hand experience with travelstart to, if you know that you may change ur flight or alter or even miss buy directly from the airline, frog jump away from travelstart. Once i paid for their extra services of getting refund and na story- total waste. I just had a baby and i didnt have their time
The "i returned to my House as refugee" part was so funny.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 9:37am On Sep 18, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Lmao. That was the exact thought on my mind as I read on. Mehn I'll just start crying at the airport lol.

Ballerz, was this commotion out of Abuja or Lag? I'm guessing Abuja?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MrsBee: 10:33am On Sep 18, 2017
Ballerz:
Long Post Alert

Wow. This is one hell of a travel experience. Can't imagine going through this with kids.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 18, 2017
Interesting post, wish you the very best as you forge ahead.

Ballerz:
Long Post Alert

Cheers Folks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Arielle: 12:30pm On Sep 18, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

You read my mind. What an experience! People still travel BA? They are highly over-rated. Its not the BA of the 80's anymore. At least as far as their Nigerian operations are concerned. Have a safe journey, Ballerz. And good luck with your interviews. Let us know how you get on.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 1:33pm On Sep 18, 2017
Ballerz:
Long Post Alert
Plan was to leave the house 4.30am and get to the airport for 5am unfortunately the cab man did not come on time. I got to the airport with 7 bags.

Lesson point
Don't be late to the airport. Try get there at least 2 hours before the official check in time. This will give you enough time to catch your breathe after moving plenty bags

2. Do not fly BA if you know you have load because airport purchase was charged 210 dollars even though website said 200

3.Don't buy your ticket from Agents especially travelstart, if you can help it (Though they get you cheap fares and options) because when complications like this arises, carrier, will say get in touch with Agent

4. If you know you will have extra luggage, just buy online, that 20% discount makes alot of sense. 600 Dollars became 490 Dollars.

5. In every situation, always see the good side. Myself and someone I met on this forum are already planning on the implementation of our business line. Watch out.

6. There is a 15k discount code on travelstart TSLIL15000. You can use it if your are yet to book your ticket. Thank me later.
Cheers Folks

Welcome to Canada smiley Glad to know you finally made it home.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 1:38pm On Sep 18, 2017
Oh nice I'm a nepa man too. I'm actually a procurement executive in a naija power distribution company and plan to move to canny by December in shaa Allah . Any show for your boy? I sent you a pm sir @salford

Thanks
salford1:

Yes...Power, mostly distribution.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hi Lastborn,

If you're the principal applicant then wifey doesn't need to do IELTS. If you need her to do IELTS to boost your score then it has to be General training.

I advise you read from page 0 of below thread. You'd get everything you need there.

https://www.nairaland.com/3999848/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

lastborn111:
Good day to everybody on this trend. Guys, Please i have a Question.

I am Planning to apply for PR soonest, but my wife has already applied for the Student Permit,

Does she have to do another IELTS (general Exams) with me again or can her IELTS Academic suffice for the PR process.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shadetwins: 2:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
Ballerz:
Long Post Alert

I had planned to pay for 5 extra bags at the rate of 200 dollars per bag. I got there they said all my bags were over weight. I said proceed I will pay for the charges. (I just wanted to board). She said all my bags were over weight. 7 bags became 8 bags. Split into 2 x 23kg and 6 x32kg. They billed me 1,890 which i paid (they were shocked), me sef was not thinking of the Naira equivalent if not, I for run but because I already had two interviews booked for the next day. BA lands 8.30 Toronto time. I had scheduled one interview for 11am and another for 3pm. So na the appointment dey my mind not the money I was throwing at extra and excess baggages (wasting)

On my way upstairs, NIS said they need to confirm my cash, I brought it out to count because they said they need physical confirmation since it is more than 10k. They told me to come to corner (I knew the implication of corner things, I said no) from there I went upstairs to board that is when they called my name that my attention is needed down stairs

On getting there I realised one of their staff in the course of assisting and commotion of "we need to take off" had removed the wine I wanted to chill and relax with fried chicken had removed it from my hand luggage and kept into a check-in luggage. Dammmmnnnn... It broke and damaged all my clothes in that bag which were mostly whites.

I still said let's take off, I dont mind. I will sort out the damaged bags when I get to destination, then later they said no that I need to sort out the bags and they need to take off. That is how i did not fly o.

First thing I did was to collect my flenty flenty money i had paid as excess and extra luggage. I asked them to put me on the next flight, that was when nightmare started. "You need to get in touch with your agent, since you did not buy directly from us, we cannot reschedule you". Called Travelstart (The worst agent in terms of customer service. They are ever non responsive.) From 8am i kept calling and did not reach them until 10.30am. While waiting for Travelstart, I decided to go the cargo route. Then I was told they will not come until 9.30am. So i became a refugee moving with my loads. Good thing is that the cab man that took me to the airport, i did not dismiss him.

Airfrance finally came and gave me an invoice of 184,000 for 192kg. Did the calculations still better than 1890 USD BA was going to collect. Then they said i will pay some fees - clearing agency, NDLEA, customs etc. Bottom line everything came to about 260k. Which was still acceptable. Meanwhile i was waiting for travelstart to confirm which flight they were putting me on. They came back and said the next available flight is Wednesday 20th. I said ok proceed. Then.... they came back again and said BA put a comment "Partial No show...." and because of this comment they cannot reschedule, that I have to get in touch with BA.

Some1 advised that since they had issued me boarding pass, they are obligated to put me on the next available flight at no extra cost, because it is their headache since i already have a boarding pass. Friday Morning 5am, 15th September, took off to go rake for BA (on what they mean by partial no show). The lady simply said "your agent do not know what they are doing. This was the same comment I put for others that we disembarked and their agents has rebooked them and the ones that bought from us were put on a flight for this morning" The Manager or colleague said, "Just delete all the comment so that they will not have any other excuse"
Waited till 9.30am before travelstart line will get opened, while waiting, I immediately went to same travelstart website and booked another flight on Egypt air for Sunday 17th September. Which was the cheapest i could see (540k). Made payment via bank transfer. So when they came online, they wanted to start stories, I said "for the fact that I have a Boarding pass, it is not my headache put me on the next flight or give me a full refund. Wole was the one that picked the call, later he called his supervisor (Victoria Awo something....) after narrating all that happened she was stammering about full refund but when i imsisted that I have boarding pass and I will shred them on social media and especially twitter. I said i no longer wish to speak to you but your supervisor, She said she is the supervisor. I said, i mean the supervisor's Supervisor and i threatened social media action. She said I should give her some minutes she will revert to me. Then I said please confirm my payment for Egypt. So you have two options now, put me on a BA flight and refund the Egypt or confirm my egypt ticket and refund my BA.

15 mins later she came back that she has spoken to the operations manager who said it is easier for them to put me on BA for Sunday and refund the Egypt and they are forwarding the request to South Africa Office. Thereafter I mailed the interviewers and rescheduled since it was confirmed that Sunday is a Go day either Egypt or BA, I will be airborne.

At 5pm she now came and said they will be refunding BA but will not be giving me my full 530k but 454k and they will confirm the Egypt ticket. Another drama started that i must collect my full refund. They said the 250 dollars penalty is from Air canada. I said you knw what, since I am a Canadian resident, send me a mail and I will sue Aircanada. She ran off the phone again and said I will get back to you.

Now that my Egypt Ticket is confirmed for Sunday. I started planning for Sunday. I had not eaten better food in 48hours. I returned to my house as a refugee since everything was sold and the house stripped. With ticket confirmed, I logged onto Egypt and purchased 4 extra bags which was meant to be 150 Dollars but buying online you get 20% discount. To pay for extra luggage became another nightmare. I really wanted this prepayment because what BA charged 210 USD (Even though on their website it says 200 USD) for is what I am going to get for 120 USD. The portal on egypt was not working, tracked them down on FB, they sent me a mail to send the request to. They responded to the email and gave me a number to call. (Calling Egypt from Nigeria is soooo expensive) I call Canada and US for one hour and i pay like 475 Naira but this egypt was less than 20 minutes and i saw 1635 as call charge.
Bottom line, I was able to make the purchase of 4 extra bags at 490 USD (because they charged in Dirhams) After the payment I was finally at peace. I decided to cargo the remaining 100kg of load from Nigeria to Toronto.
Sunday 17th September, I got to airport very well ahead of time. My scale was now very accurate because I went to purchase a new digital scale to get my readings right as the previous scale was really a deceiver.

Time for check-in started, put my stuffs on the scale, they were quite good. Told the dude to bubble wrap them and paid 1k per Bag. Got to the counter, told them i had paid for 4 extra bags. They asked for receipts and to sight the Credit card, which I presented. They rescaled my loads and were reading 26, 26, 25, 23, 23, 25. I simply told them their scale is faulty and went to call the bubble wrap guy. We confirmed their scale had shifted a bit forward, so they let me pass. Then, they said I should put hand luggage on scale which read 18kg. He said it was high. I told him it is laptop and books in there (Because I had 2 laptops and 1 tablet). I opened it for him and they were so kind and said split it and have a third carry-on which was just meant to be two. It was this same carry on, BA was adamnat that it must not exceed 2 that they messed up my whole trip. Everything work together for Good sha, because i collected my plenty Benjamins back, paid it cheaper on Egyptair and discovered how to do Cargo business. I will soon open my own african shop in Brampton/Missisauga. Please watch out.

On my way to Board, encountered immigration again. First trouble, that I filled the form with green pen. He gave me back the form and a blue pen to start tracing. I said never. Give me a new form to fill. I am not going to retrace anything. He said, He does not have another form, I said I will not retrace since your form did not indicate a particular ink I am at liberty to fill in whatever ink. His supervisor came and started story of can you fill Bank instruments in Green. I said yes, specifically when I was in Zenith Bank 10 years ago, we had a customer whose instruction says, his check must be written in green ink, u honour any other color, he will sue you.

So money matters, since I was travelling with over 10k USD, she said the Bank only gives 4k, I said yes I am at liberty to buy from Black market. She asked for receipt from aboki, I sid i dont have. She now started saying what will she fill on the system bla bla. I said fill whatever you like. I do not have aboki receipts and I have declared my cash. I have offered to show you transactions outflow from my account to aboki. She asked for my business card, I said I do not have. I mentioned i worked with XXXX and we are known globally, she said something, I responded "who knows Nigeria Immigration beyond this country. She said after oil, they generate the highest revenue. I said, na FIRS with over 4trn aanual revenue. She told her otondo colleague not process the form cos i do not have receipt from aboki cos there is nothing for her fill as evidence of funds. That her inputting the details here will reflect in the system in toronto.... For real? like she is talking to a novice. I simply said can I go? She said yes. I said thank you and I left. (All her tactics to make me shake body was checkmated.

I boarded o and it has been smooth.... I am typing this epistle on board enroute to Cairo, after which I am off to prepare for my Toastings with the interviewers.

Lesson point

Cheers Folks
wow so sorry abt ur ordeal. This here is why I sit down and book my flights straight from the airline after wakanow dealt with me 5 years ago

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 2:16pm On Sep 18, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Welcome to Canada smiley Glad to now you finally made it home.

@Blackbuddy - I sent you a PM request boss, kindly check. Tnx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 2:21pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hmmm... @ballerz, I'm lost for words! Weh done sa!
@impish. Your blog is amazing, love reading it. About the homeschooling, have you seen abcmouse.com? It's pretty organized so you might find it helpful. I intend to 'homeschool' my 1.5 yr old for some time too hence my interest.

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by nkigirl: 2:53pm On Sep 18, 2017
merrymum:
Hmmm... @ballerz, I'm lost for words! Weh done sa!
@impish. Your blog is amazing, love reading it. About the homeschooling, have you seen abcmouse.com? It's pretty organized so you might find it helpful. I intend to 'homeschool' my 1.5 yr old for some time too hence my interest.

Hello Merrymum. I contacted you not too long ago about assisting or giving details on how to get an Angolan PCC

Please could you help?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 3:03pm On Sep 18, 2017
Update
We got to Egypt. They collected our passports - Toronto bound. Time to board, saw my bags. i was surprised, that was is my bag doing here. They said security check. that is how they started opening each bags like the way they do in Nigeria and binned my 60k worth of dry fish. I told the guy, i am not coming to egypt. i almost jumped on him like an egyptian mummy. 60 grand fish, pleeeeease i want to faint. He wanted to pounce on my groundnuts again, and I open eye, he called his boss and he said Go.

Landed in Pearson. Passing through was the fastest in the world.... e good to get PR o. It is all self service. Scan your card, scan the landing card you filled, it issues you receipt. waiting to collect bags, noticed another guy (Niyi), saw that his bag was in pristine state. So i said how come you were not checked again at Cairo, cos i saw other people's eja kika fish that was binned. he said he spread it in various bags. I had 6 bags he had 7, so it is not by number of bags.
My bags came o, noticed one tyre don commot, went to complain, they said attachments are not insured such as tyres, zips. That if i needed that covered I would have purchased insurance separately for that.

Exit bound, officer asked what food do you have, I started mentioning the foods in the Nigerian name, then i said spices generally. He was about to say go when he saw i had declared over 10k usd, he said go this way. I went this way.....Guess who i saw there? Niyi! they were binning his milk and milo. choi choi.... my heart skipped say yepa. the milk and milo they collected filled a very big carton. Me i got there and quickly said I was told to come here becos I have over 10k usd (said that becos i have milk and milo too, and i dont want double jeopardy).

So he focused on my cash declaration. He asked for receipts, I said I don't have but i will log into my account to show you some of the transactions of the ones i bought from the Bank. I don't even remember my accounts off hand, so i just opened my email and looked for the debit notification. showed him (which was not everything). He said ok. Brought out a form for me to fill my name and Canada address, signed. He stamped and off I go, with my tails between my lags cos i do not want my dairy products collected. Before each passenger had 20kg allowance. That has bn stopped cos it is no longer on their website.

I got outside and tried whatsap calling my new acquaintance (he was winnipeg bound). I wanted to ask "wetin sele" he was not picking. Picked a van, told him my destination and he said 79 CAD. One of the challenges of flying Egypt and landing on a Monday morning. No one to come pick you. So I am in the Toyota mini van now, heading to destination and punching away on my tablet. Once I get home.... The rest will be history.... The fish is still paining me "oja mi lara je". Never experienced such. Heathrow route still the way forward jare...

Cheers

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by soja84: 3:08pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hi All.....I just got our Passports back and COPR today.We plan to travel in February but we intend to book our tickets this month because of price.Destination is Regina but I haven't been able to get any direct flight there hence I intend to use travelstart.I even called egyptair but was told they don't fly to Regina directly.When I checked through travelstart,You'll fly egyptair to Toronto,then connect aircanada to Regina.However,I'm worried about this travelstart issue that I just read.We have a toddler who can be very handful and I can't imagine him in this kind of situation.Please any idea on the best way to book these tickets without going through this kind of experience, guys?I will really appreciate you response.Thanks.

yokus:
@Ballerz Wow... i imagined the whole thing in my mind. Wow, very very interesting read.
I have 1st hand experience with travelstart to, if you know that you may change ur flight or alter or even miss buy directly from the airline, frog jump away from travelstart. Once i paid for their extra services of getting refund and na story- total waste. I just had a baby and i didnt have their time
The "i returned to my House as refugee" part was so funny.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 3:14pm On Sep 18, 2017
Fusion23:

Lool I can understand you perfectly , but be honest with your self if you are an introvert in Naija and single, coming to Canada will make it worse..the culture here is not like naija in times of relating with people(you cant just see a very fine girl in the bus stop and go chat her up that is creepy to them ) and the loneliness can be real..

In summary its 80 percent about you, if you did not have a relationship all this while in Naija, its not Canada's fault ..and relationship is all about responsibilities in naija most youths under 30 earning less than 150k a month its hard to think of relationship..so that is why you want to come to canada in the first place to be have a better economic life.

So for the good news its not over you can build relationships here, naija churches , universities too you will see single girls you can mingle with and if you are open minded there are other African nationalities here like Ghanaian's etc then there are also Asians, Europeans

So if you major fear is about the culture its understandable, but all in all there is hope if you willing to work it

Another issue is when u are OK in Canada u can hook up with someone from naija some way somehow and sponsor are to come here , if you cant handle their culture here.

so what culture should you be worried about , personal beliefs and lifestyle..you see someone tell you straight she is an aethist, so if you marry her hmmm no church for your children, other funny beliefs like 420 friendly(cannabis smoker), tattoos, drinking and partying lifestyle, not much submission, and also they can wake up tomorrow and say am no more doing..

but it all its worth the risk.

cheers

LMFAO!!! the bolded cracked me up

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 18, 2017
Ehrnie:

I like the sound of that cheesy cheesy ...making lots of money! shocked

Thanks for your response.

Yes to all 3 questions - EIT is Engineer-In-Training, I have satisfied the academic requirements and I require CAN work experience.

No, I'm not yet in CAN. I'm just trying to get all the groundwork going prior to when I relocate. I presume it's not advisable to complete the First Aid and H2S Alive trainings from outside CAN...is that correct?

Yes, you should do them when you get here.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 18, 2017
soja84:
Hi All.....I just got our Passports back and COPR today.We plan to travel in February but we intend to book our tickets this month because of price.Destination is Regina but I haven't been able to get any direct flight there hence I intend to use travelstart.I even called egyptair but was told they don't fly to Regina directly.When I checked through travelstart,You'll fly egyptair to Toronto,then connect aircanada to Regina.However,I'm worried about this travelstart issue that I just read.We have a toddler who can be very handful and I can't imagine him in this kind of situation.Please any idea on the best way to book these tickets without going through this kind of experience, guys?I will really appreciate you response.Thanks.

None of those international airlines will fly to Regina but you can book the flight and you'd always be reconnected from Toronto or else to Regina via any of the local airlines. I'd advise you use Flighthub. They will even suggest cheaper options for you but might be different date from what you really want.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:03pm On Sep 18, 2017
Markab:
Oh nice I'm a nepa man too. I'm actually a procurement executive in a naija power distribution company and plan to move to canny by December in shaa Allah . Any show for your boy? I sent you a pm sir @salford

Thanks

Bros give us light before you move to Canada na. Abeg!!! Lmao. Na joke I dey oh. I greet you sir.

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.