Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (92) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979034 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 5:19pm On Sep 21, 2017
czaratwork:
Good morning all. please i want to ask some questions and need urgent response.

Those that got their credentials notarised, did you have any need to use the notarised copies? i want to go and do mine today at ikeja court. Apart for the PR application process, you wont have much need for the notarized copies of credentials here as you will need to present the originals where applicable like for schooling or for recruitment with some employers

Then for our electronic gadgets (phones, laptops) any idea of how and where to get the adapters (step down) that will work in canny or is there no need to worry about that? For phones and laptops, you can get the power cord or adapters at your neighborhood electronics/dollar stores between $5 and $20. Very easy to find, just take a walk and shop around

Am i to make the list of accompanying goods and goods to follow on a plain sheet or is there a form to download online for that? If i am to make the list how does it look like. i remember seeing someone write here that you will put a price/cost to all items listed. People have complained of not being able to find the form online recently but it doesn't matter as you can make a simple excel table with different columns to capture the approximate value of all your electronics, clothes, educational materials/books, jewelry etc, Just categorise your belongings into these various headings and put an estimated Canadian dollar value for each category. Then put a Grand Total for everything. You can make one table for goods accompanying and another for goods to follow and give both to the Customs officers when you land, they will enter your details into the system and print it out for you, stamp it and give you your copy

I have no one to stay with when i land, i am yet to book for where i will stay. any suggestions on how to go about booking reservations (not hotels o) and companies that render such short stay accomodation because i intend to look for accomodation from where i will stay temporarily. Do i have to pay for the accomodation before leaving naija or can i pay when i get there? AirBnB as already mentioned and kijiji.ca are some avenues where you can find furnished, short term accommodation. Payment mode is as required by the landlord or building management you're dealing with but thread with caution for upfront payments. Just like in Nigeria, there are dubious persons aplenty on online market places. In my case, I just checked into a hotel with my family and took my time to find my permanent accommodation after in-person inspection of what was available. Please use whichever system works for you

Then my luggages, i have seen that such companies will pick you up from the airport. i really need such services as i cant pay taxi fare for my landing luggages over there (okoro woman). Uber is readily available as rightly already mentioned. Taxi companies and car rentals are also aplenty at the airport. Some companies that offer short let accommodation also provide airport pick up service but not all, you'll find which ones do when you check online. All the major hotel chains provide free shuttle service from the airport to their locations as well. You can confirm this when you make your reservations. I used Best Western Plus and they have shuttle service that runs hourly

I am leaving on Monday 25th 1.30pm naija time to Land on Tuesday 7.30am canny time.

Hi, I can see you have gotten great responses already so I only have a little to add as you can see above. All the best with your trip.

21 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 10:53pm On Sep 21, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Please see another template you can use to request the FRSC extract with physical address for pick up indicated,

(Your Address)

April 24, 2017

The Corps Marshal
Federal Road Safety Corps Hq
Wuse Zone 4
Abuja

Dear Sir;

APPLICATION FOR DRIVING RECORD AND AUTHENTICATION OF DRIVERS LICENSE

I, (Name), hereby apply for my driving record and authentication of my driver’s license.

Attached is a copy of my Driver’s License.

Thank you as I await your response.

Yours sincerely

(Name)

For those outside Lagos, you can indicate the address of the closest FRSC Zonal Command to you or your family and friends who you can authorise to pick up for you. Based on experices shared with me, it could be ready for pick up between 3 days to 1 month. One can't rule out the efficiency of our dear people but at least, there's a process in place. Hope its clearer, cheers.

Thanks Bro.
Very helpful as always.

And for people in Lagos, where can they collect from?

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 11:02pm On Sep 21, 2017
trishachi:

Thanks Bro.
Very helpful as always.

And for people in Lagos, where can they collect from?

Hi, I've made a little enquiry and found that since Abuja is the Head quarters, that's where it is issued from. It's free of charge and they used to send the hard copy by DHL to people free as well but I guess the cost put paid to that. There are claims that people are getting it for as high as N20,000.00 in Lagos but I've not been able to confirm where and how true. For now, I think it's best you make enquiry at the Zonal Command close to you or get your family/friends in Abuja to pick it up and send to you. If I get more details, I'll surely share it.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheWatcher212: 12:48am On Sep 22, 2017
impish:
Hi Blackbuddy and thanks for the useful resources.

Just to mention that our scanned copy of the FRSC letter was rejected last week at the Ottawa test centre we went to. We were told to return when we had the original hard copy. Our experience may have just been due to the lady who attended to us, but just thought to mention anyway. We never intended to write the test that day anyway, so we did not push. We had only gone to make enquiries and to see if my husband's temporary licence would be accepted.

Best,

Mrs. O
www.mycanadianfling.com

Hello, was his temporary licence accepted? Please share details. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheWatcher212: 12:50am On Sep 22, 2017
Ballerz:

Mrs O. They will only accept the original of the letter.
The kind of screening she gave letter pass the one bank tellers check when customers present cheques.
Kept reading the three document line by line.
She finally asked " what is a class B" . I simply said equivalent to your Class G. I think it is higher sef cos with class B in Nigeria you fit drive lorry.
She tore off the bio data page attached and returned to me that she doesn't need it.
Gave the documents to her supervisor to sign off on it.
Get someone to DHL it to you.
Or, If you send me an email, I can speak to my colleague who is on secondment there to get your letter for you.
Cheers

Hi, any ideas how much this costs? i.e. to get the letter and whats the route of requesting this letter?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by esosa4real(m): 3:52am On Sep 22, 2017
Olabekee:
please add me too

It's a Doctors Pathway group, if you're a Doc and that's the group you intend to join, pls PM me so I send you the link.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by emanode(m): 4:58pm On Sep 22, 2017
esosa4real:

It's a Doctors Pathway group, if you're a Doc and that's the group you intend to join, pls PM me so I send you the link.

sent you a PM as regards this
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 7:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
Thanks all for your responses
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 8:37pm On Sep 22, 2017
Some folks protesting peaceful currently at city hall wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ekpekus(m): 8:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
More pix wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 11:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
Temeric:
Oga stop blaming the airline or the travel agent. the whole problem was caused by you. I always use travelstart and wakanow and they have always been very good. people like you mislead the once who will not read in between the lines. you caused you problem yourself. I will keep using agencies to book flight and get the best deal. BA is a principled airline and don't tolerate this kind of your drama. I thank God you have learnt your lesson. i hope you really have learnt your lessons- if yes, please stop blaming the airline and even the agent.

Thank you for this code. it worked like magic. please guys go and try it. i got 15k reduction from the initial fare for real. can i use this more than once?

With all ur vex u still used the code, u fall my hand o, angry lipsrsealed lol

36 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by trishachi: 11:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
Blackbuddy:

Hi, I've made a little enquiry and found that since Abuja is the Head quarters, that's where it is issued from. It's free of charge and they used to send the hard copy by DHL to people free as well but I guess the cost put paid to that. There are claims that people are getting it for as high as N20,000.00 in Lagos but I've not been able to confirm where and how true. For now, I think it's best you make enquiry at the Zonal Command close to you or get your family/friends in Abuja to pick it up and send to you. If I get more details, I'll surely share it.

Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 12:10am On Sep 23, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Lmao, u sef see am....i feel two different persons typed the first and second paragraph....they are no way connected angry grin

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 12:38am On Sep 23, 2017
Just some random thoughts occurring to me his evening about managing the move to Canada...How to deal with friends and family back home?
Some people just cut off everyone and disappear into the setting sun till some 10-20 years later and resurface from nowhere. No the best way, i think, but how does one manage informing people of your departure? Some people find it odd to hear you are relocating for good. They suppose you are going to school or holidays and will be back soon. Others also assume that once you are leaving Africa for North America you have hit gold and are already prepping their shopping lists and monetary demands grin grin I hope people don't come borrowing money and promising to repay which most of the time doesn't happen ooh angry I know some people who are gone for a year or two and still maintain their local numbers for Whatsapp etc so they can still be in touch and keep a connection to "home" away from home wink How have the landed seniors managed relocation and keeping links back home?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ymummy234: 8:53am On Sep 23, 2017
Ballerz:

1 & 2. Yes Temporary License because they will post the license to your address within 90 days. So the one printed on paper can be used while waiting for the one in the mail.

With your FRSC License, and Letter, you will go for the knowledge test, then G1 road test or G2 road test. The letter makes you skip the waiting times (12 - 18 months before you can proceed to the next level test.) Check page 11 of the manual for better clarification. So with the letter you do the Knowledge Test proceed to G2 road test, pass and collect your G License.

Your Nigerian License is expired. The manual says "If you are a new resident of Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province or country, you can use that license for 60 days in Ontario. If you want to continue to drive after 60 days, you must get an Ontario driver's license."

You need to get that FRSC letter to claim waiver for the 2 years waiting time. I had previously posted where You can make a request via email to them. They collected the original of the letter. You must also present the Nig License because they will need to make a copy of it.

Congrats ballerz ... will I need to get an international driver license from Nigeria even though I have a valid drivers license already, will I need to bring both together with the FRSC letter or will one suffice
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 2:19pm On Sep 23, 2017
MummyJaygirls:

Exactly. It/she/he even wants to use it twice. Some people no get shame.... runs away grin grin grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 2:24pm On Sep 23, 2017
ymummy234:

Congrats ballerz ... will I need to get an international driver license from Nigeria even though I have a valid drivers license already, will I need to bring both together with the FRSC letter or will one suffice

Please do not waste your time with the Nigeria International license. It is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It cannot even serve as a valid ID card. (Not surprised, it is issued by the Nigerian police). I got one, then I realised it was valid for just a year and very crappy. It is a waste of your money jare. Do not bother with that blue thing. Your Nigeria license and FRSC letter is all you need oremi.

Cheers

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 2:29pm On Sep 23, 2017
teeboy95, ozzy2, Spiritualgal, tolurigs and Ugoeloka

I am not the kind of person that does not respond to emails and PMs. MailerDaemon keeps telling the mail "you shall not pass"
Please send an email to my public email.
Cheers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by ltee: 5:20pm On Sep 23, 2017
emanode:

sent you a PM as regards this

Hello esosa, I just sent you a message. I would like my wife to join the Dr. Group. Kindly reply.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by shaddie(m): 5:58pm On Sep 23, 2017
Hello Nairaland family.I am a silent reader even though i have asked few questions here and got awesome responses. God bless you all for all the wonderful contributions here.
To the seniors in the house and anyone who can help respond. we were told by a family friend that if the primary applicant eventually revoke his PR (my hubby) while we remain in Canada, we will eventually loose out from applying for citizenship in the future or even have issues because we are his dependent and he was the one that signed all there is to sign on our behalf . The plan was for us to all go and hubby returns back to Naija as he is not ready to move now. How true is this family friends information?. Also i know there are couple of families that go that route of hubby not staying but visiting , how does this work for them? what procedure did they follow. I will appreciate all your opinion please.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by tebony1: 6:03pm On Sep 23, 2017
esosa4real:

Can you pls add me to the group

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by bitingcool: 6:57pm On Sep 23, 2017
Greetings great Seniors. Pls kindly advise. I have 12 years banking experience in Customer Service, Marketing and Funds Transfer. I have vowed never to do bank work again cos it's mentally torturing in 9ja ..esp. Marketing . Even if it's different in Canada. I no wan do again

I developed an interest in procurement and supply and registered with CIPS. I have written the diploma tests but I don't think the Institute is recognized in Canada.
Will be moving to toronto in a few months by God's grace

What certification can I equip myself with to get a job in my desired industry. My friend says having a CIIBA is good. Is it? I dont want to come there and feel I have studied d wrong course. Pls assist/ advice . Also, where can I check for Alternative Career options. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DBA4show(m): 9:48pm On Sep 23, 2017
Good day Seniors in the house, I am so happy to officially join this thread, may God bless all your good works.

I got my PPR mail early this month, but I am still awaiting my COPR.

More also, I hope to Land with my family members very soon, and Ontario is our chosen destination. However, Wifey is expecting and her EDD will most likely be before we get the Ontario Health Card.

Please is there anyway to go around this?

Kindly help your boy O.....

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 10:05pm On Sep 23, 2017
DBA4show:
Good day Seniors in the house, I am so happy to officially join this thread, may God bless all your good works.

More also, I hope to Land with my family members very soon, and Ontario is our chosen destination. However, Wifey is expecting and her EDD will most likely be before we get the Ontario Health Card.

Go Land in Alberta. It is free medicals from Day 1. Then you can come down south to Ontario later.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ballerz: 10:17pm On Sep 23, 2017
TheWatcher212:

Hi, any ideas how much this costs? i.e. to get the letter and whats the route of requesting this letter?

It is FoC.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by DBA4show(m): 10:30pm On Sep 23, 2017
Bro. from my research giving birth in Alberta and leaving after delivery is termed "Medical Fraud" and besides the person who will be receiving us is based in Ontario but he is Single and doesn't know much about the process.
Ballerz:

Go Land in Alberta. It is free medicals from Day 1. Then you can come down south to Ontario later.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 11:56pm On Sep 23, 2017
DBA4show:
Bro. from my research giving birth in Alberta and leaving after delivery is termed "Medical Fraud" and besides the person who will be receiving us is based in Ontario but he is Single and doesn't know much about the process.

Are you sure ? By law a PR holder and citizen has legal of mobility right. Meaning they can live or work anywhere in canada they choose. How can they prove you didn't give birth today, then got a job in another province tomorrow and decided to move ? If the Alberta government decides to sue one for that, the charter of rights would protect that person. No exception. As for ohip/ontario, any medical bills you get prior to the 3 months, it'll be out of your pocket. Technically. But you can go around about it at times.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by A14: 12:13am On Sep 24, 2017
DBA4show:

Double congratulations smiley
Go to Alberta. You'll have to stay there for 183days in a 12 month period, then you can move to Ontario. I don't think it's a bad idea compared to how much you'll spend in Ontario on child birth.
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by cisco123: 2:28am On Sep 24, 2017
I'm finally here after about 3weeks!
Many thanks to everyone that has made contribution here. I've gained so much not to fail in this journey.
Waiting for my PPR and can't wait to share my landing experience soon.
Thanks everyone.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.