Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (80690 Views)

What's The Best Skill To Learn Under 6 Months For Me To Migrate To Europe? / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Benjamite01: 6:54pm On Feb 12, 2017
And tell me how many Nigerians have Access to a work they will get and buy a car worth 2 million naira within 4months in Nigeria

Pidgin2:

So you earned more than 500K per month here but you decided to relocate to US despite not having any valid immigration status and all you can now boast of is a car? I'm sure you are probably squatting with someone going by your earnings, smh

Oh my, this is even worse than I thought

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 6:59pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Well done brother, you earn $2000 and you pay $1000/month to share rent. My brother such low rent sef I am sure you live far from the city center. If you convert your rent it is N500,000 to share room per month

You pay light, water, cable, Internet, phone bill, tax, food, you buy fuel etc too. I know it is not easy but in your initial post you quickly converted your earnings into naira knowing fully well that there are a lot of people who are very naive and once they see such figures they will not mind taking the risk of dying in order to earn such amount as an illegal immigrant(even crossing the Mediterranean Sea), please consider these folks before you try to give certain impressions about your life there

Maybe I'm missing something here..I have been reading this and people keep saying you pay this and that abroad...I mean don't you also pay those in Nigeria? Do you get them free?

11 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 6:59pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Even America was in recession a few years ago yet they bounced back so why do I get the feeling that you think we will never come out of this? So to you being in recession at the moment is now a valid reason to make a long-term decision like relocating forever the best way forward

You only see what you want to see. smh

I have been saying that the OP should stay back in Nigeria to help develop the country. If everyone leaves the country, who will help build the country?

The point I was making is that Canada has more opportunities than Nigeria for financial success right now. Arguing otherwise is just akin to ignoring the glaring facts around. Also, telling the guy that his 400k/month is enough to insulate him from the shocks the economy is experiencing is foolhardy. If he thinks he is comfortable, let him consider that his comfort is the same that low-income earners currently have in the west. If our project manager is looking just for money and a better quality of life then Canada holds a better option for him now than Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:03pm On Feb 12, 2017
Benjamite01:
And tell me how many Nigerians have Access to a work they will get and buy a car worth 2 million naira within 4months in Nigeria

Lol used cars are easy to get in America, it's not an investment and it is certainly not supposed to be an achievement for you as it is necessary to have one there unlike here where one can decide to use public transport for commuting to save cost.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 12, 2017
justwise:

Maybe I'm missing something here..I have been reading this and people keep saying you pay this and that abroad...I mean don't you also pay those in Nigeria? Do you get them free?

I don't need to pay for heating here so that's free. I find most utility bills are a lot cheaper here compared to living abroad. For example, if I chose to supply my own water(on a permanent basis) I won't need to ever pay for water bill also bills like cable cost from $3 upwards, data for most networks is like $3 per month, I think because we earn less compared to America, UK, Canada, etc we pay less too. Imagine minimum wage here is a meagre N18,000/month.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 12, 2017
ApexTitan:

You only see what you want to see. smh

I have been saying that the OP should stay back in Nigeria to help develop the country. If everyone leaves the country, who will help build the country?

The point I was making is that Canada has more opportunities than Nigeria for financial success right now. Arguing otherwise is just akin to ignoring the glaring facts around. Also, telling the guy that his 400k/month is enough to insulate him from the shocks the economy is experiencing is foolhardy. If he thinks he is comfortable, let him consider that his comfort is the same that low-income earners currently have in the west. If our project manager is looking just for money and a better quality of life then Canada holds a better option for him now than Nigeria.

Minus the bitter cold of course quality of life in Canada is better but he asked for prospects and his future projected earnings look quit good for growing financially in Nigeria too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 7:34pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

I don't need to pay for heating here so that's free. I find most utility bills are a lot cheaper here compared to living abroad. For example, if I chose to supply my own water(on a permanent basis) I won't need to ever pay for water bill also bills like cable cost from $3 upwards, data for most networks is like $3 per month, I think because we earn less compared to America, UK, Canada, etc we pay less too. Imagine minimum wage here is a meagre N18,000/month.

All through your posts I have noticed that you don't compare like for like. You do an apples to oranges comparison.

You don't need to pay for heating just as Canadian don't have to pay for AC during winter.
You don't need to pay for water bills because you don't make use of the state water board services. Move to Abuja, specifically in the city centre area, and report back.
The man on minimum 18K wage is still not able to pay his house rent, transport, health and education not to talk of things like data. This is not so for the man on minimum wage in the west. He'll pay those things and get even better quality than his counterpart in 9ja.

Apples for apples and oranges for oranges. smiley

12 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Good but i don't need to buy air condition, i don't need to struggle with NEPA, my water bill is about £60 a year, and if i want to bring it down i get a smart meter installed, cable is a matter of choice its not a necessity.

If i'm out of work today i will still enjoy free medical treatment, my rent paid and still get paid to help me look for job.

If i'm living in Nigeria and earning 400K a month i wouldn't leave that job to any part of the world to live illegally doing factory job, but with work permit like Canadian work program visa? Definitely i will be in next available flight to Canada.

You enjoy quality of life, relatively safe place compare to Nigeria, less likely to be kidnapped because of your wealth. quality medical treatment and most importantly less corrupt.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 12, 2017
justwise:

Good but i don't need to buy air condition, i don't need to struggle with NEPA, my water bill is about £60 a year, and if i want to bring it down i get a smart meter installed, cable is a matter of choice its not a necessity.

If i'm out of work today i will still enjoy free medical treatment, my rent paid and still get paid to help me look for job.

If i'm living in Nigeria and earning 400K a month i wouldn't leave that job to any part of the work to live illegally doing factory job, but with work permit like Canadian work program visa? Definitely i will be in next available flight to Canada.

You enjoy quality of life, relatively safe place compared to Nigeria, less likely to be kidnapped because of your wealth. quality medical treatment and most importantly less corrupt.

We have the option of using ACs or fans and there is no utility bill attached to using them, cable is not necessary here too (it is free to watch many channels without cable)

Just like no one wants to be out of work and dependent on the government for sustainance I find our culture especially the one where relatives and even friends helping out during such trying times as a welcome substitute to what the government does for you. Even as a grown man or woman if one becomes financially desperate here you can actually fall back on relations and friends just like the government does for you over there

Like I have said several times the quality of life abroad is better but do they even have good cultures there, Lol I thought they also have rapists, paedophiles and serial killers there na? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 8:05pm On Feb 12, 2017
futurewise11:

MADAM SADIST FROM GERMAN THREAD, WHY DONT YOU GO BACK TO NIGERIA?

ARE U THE ONLY ONE LIVING ABROAD?

Western world is bad and u want to die there.

Please can we stop this? Why do we always pounce on people who has a different view? Why do you always have a problem with Schwartz's view? In German thread many are afraid of giving the not-so-juicy view of living abroad because of fair of an attack from people like you .

This is not cool honestly.

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 8:14pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

We have the option of using ACs or fans and there is no utility bill attached to using them, cable is not necessary here too (it is free to watch many channels without cable)

Just like no one wants to be out of work and dependent on the government for sustainance I find our culture especially the one where relatives and even friends helping out during such trying times as a welcome substitute to what the government does for you. Even as a grown man or woman if one becomes financially desperate here you can actually fall back on relations and friends just like the government does for you over there

Like I have said several times the quality of life abroad is better but do they even have good cultures there, Lol I thought they also have rapists, paedophiles and serial killers there na? cheesy

Govt help here because people who work paid into the system to help those who are not working, the disabled and the elderly ones.

Not many relatives in Nigeria will sustain you while you are jobless infact they depend on people living abroad to help out.

We probably have more rapist and paedophiles in Nigeria than UK, US and Canada because the law against such crime in Nigeria is not strict enough and of course you can pay your way out of the crime if arrested.

7 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Schwartz: 8:24pm On Feb 12, 2017
justwise:

Please can we stop this? Why do we always pounce on people who has a different view? Why do you always have a problem with Schwartz's view? In German thread many are afraid of giving the not-so-juicy view of living abroad because of fair of an attack from people like you .

Thank you. I am being misunderstood. I have not said abroad is bad. I also do not advice anyone from travelling. Most people have this mindset that once they touch here they will start picking money and turn millionaires over night. After some years of toiling some people actually begin to do well but many struggle and live from pay cheque to cheque. Some living on government benefits. I have personally met a Nigerian woman who came to my office to beg for money to feed hereself and her child. And for people like this their friends and relatives would feel that they are abroad enjoying not knowing that their daughter is in Germany begging! But I have met so many Nigerians living abroad and there are struggling. There are many people here who would gladly relocate to Nigeria if they can be paid 4000,000 naira monthly. For someone has worked in Nigeria before I am very sure that in addition to the salary the guy is paid allowances as well. He is clearly a millionaire and single. Also from the first post we are told that he has the prospect of growing on the job hence even more pay. Why would anyone give up all that and start life afresh abroad? It beats me. He can apply for visa and comfortably spend his leave abroad. I have relatives who work in Nigeria yet they bought holiday homes abroad. Are there not Nigerians working right there in Nigeria and sending their kids abroad to school paying thousands of pounds and dollars?

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by futurewise11(m): 8:43pm On Feb 12, 2017
justwise:

I respectfully understand your point bro.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 8:51pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

Wonderful.

Magic fans and AC.

...or just logic fail.

grin

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
justwise:

Govt help here because people who work paid into the system to help those who are not working, the disabled and the elderly ones.

Not many relatives in Nigeria will sustain you while you are jobless infact they depend on people living abroad to help out.

We probably have more rapist and paedophiles in Nigeria than UK, US and Canada because the law against such crime in Nigeria is not strict enough and of course you can pay your way out of the crime if arrested.

But you know the African system is structured a bit differently, e. g. Instead of sending the elderly to old people's homes, children and relatives are actually expected to take care of the aged, also you can't see your relative desperate for survival and not assist him or her. It helps and takes the place of government assistance which you enjoy there (I'm sure you have heard of some husband's sending their spouse to live with her parents or with his own parents when he finds things difficult. While growing up, we assisted my uncle, his wife, kid and house help for years when he was unemployed).

I'm not too sure about the prevalence of crime in US compared to Nigeria but I know both experience it often. Gun laws over there is not even helping as any mentally disturbed person with a license can gun down innocent children and citizens at any time

Of course access to basic amenities is better there but let's not forget that OP's prospect look good for financial stability and growth here
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 12, 2017
ApexTitan:

Wonderful.

Magic fans and AC.

...or just logic fail.

grin

I see through your sarcasm but let me just say we do have rechargeable fans here that last for hours when charged cheesy

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by futurewise11(m): 9:23pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

So she should sell all her investments, pack her things and start coming back home without proper planning? Be a bit mature and stop the name calling

I hope you are not being swindled by all those people taking advantage of your benevolence. So if you didn't return to pay your friend's rent he will be homeless abi? You guys abroad can be gullible sha, no wonder some people tend to take advantage.

If you are fortunate to be financially Ok with the reccesion in naija not everybody is in same position like you.I decide to help does not mean am gullible or easy to be defrauded.I saw the reality on ground. Presently I know of first class agric graduate working in my relatives farm earning 30k...My point is you cant eat your cake and have it in life.Some people here are bored with european lifestyle...But standard infrastructure and quality of life is the reason they are here. Not even because of the account balance or exchange rate.I mean the way people here value life.

Its a free world.we all have right to our opinion my brother.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by shamecurls(m): 9:44pm On Feb 12, 2017
Very Interesting and enlightening thread!

Thumbs up!

Kinda love the storming! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 9:51pm On Feb 12, 2017
Schwartz:

Thank you. I am being misunderstood. I have not said abroad is bad. I also do not advice anyone from travelling. Most people have this mindset that once they touch here they will start picking money and turn millionaires over night. After some years of toiling some people actually begin to do well but many struggle and live from pay cheque to cheque. Some living on government benefits. I have personally met a Nigerian woman who came to my office to beg for money to feed hereself and her child. And for people like this their friends and relatives would feel that they are abroad enjoying not knowing that their daughter is in Germany begging! But I have met so many Nigerians living abroad and there are struggling. There are many people here who would gladly relocate to Nigeria if they can be paid 4000,000 naira monthly. For someone has worked in Nigeria before I am very sure that in addition to the salary the guy is paid allowances as well. He is clearly a millionaire and single. Also from the first post we are told that he has the prospect of growing on the job hence even more pay. Why would anyone give up all that and start life afresh abroad? It beats me. He can apply for visa and comfortably spend his leave abroad. I have relatives who work in Nigeria yet they bought holiday homes abroad. Are there not Nigerians working right there in Nigeria and sending their kids abroad to school paying thousands of pounds and dollars?

I have no problem with your view and i know what happened in German thread hence my intervention here.

I can understand why somebody wants to leave Nigeria but many do it with wrong impression and over inflated expectation.

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by futurewise11(m): 9:56pm On Feb 12, 2017
@OP,

Since you are going on a visa route with Permanent Resident(PR) within a short time, I will advice you to move.Remember theres no job security in Nigeria and the labour law is very weak.

Going to Canada as a focus proffesional, at the long run you will enjoy it.The first year might be tough due to weather, culture and adaptability but after few years you will be better off.

As schwatz pointed out theres alot of up and downs in the western world and life here can be funny sometimes, but consider the future of your kids, exchange rate, Nigeria unstable political climate, umemployment rate in both countries, standard of living and infrastructure etc.

I'm a patriotic Nigerian, but comparing Nigeria and Canada ceteris paribus I will pick Canada ahead of Nigeria.

With your 400k job are u sure of job security in your field? What about government policy in Nigeria which is very dynamic....God will crown your thinking cap.

6 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 9:59pm On Feb 12, 2017
Pidgin2:

But you know the African system is structured a bit differently, e. g. Instead of sending the elderly to old people's homes, children and relatives are actually expected to take care of the aged, also you can't see your relative desperate for survival and not assist him or her. It helps and takes the place of government assistance which you enjoy there (I'm sure you have heard of some husband's sending their spouse to live with her parents or with his own parents when he finds things difficult. While growing up, we assisted my uncle, his wife, kid and house help for years when he was unemployed).

I'm not too sure about the prevalence of crime in US compared to Nigeria but I know both experience it often. Gun laws over there is not even helping as any mentally disturbed person with a license can gun down innocent children and citizens at any time

Of course access to basic amenities is better there but let's not forget that OP's prospect look good for financial stability and growth here

Most of that are coming from relatives living abroad, because we live abroad doesn't mean that we don't maintain the culture of helping family members I send money home frequently, i mean every two months to family members to solve one or two problems

There is nothing about Nigeria you can lecture me about because i lived there and still in touch with people there and will be visiting in few days time.

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:47pm On Feb 12, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) / Onitsha Lockdown Relaxation: What Upper Iweka Looks Like- Pictures / Nigerians Confront South Africans With Guns In Pretoria - Facebook User

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.