Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria (80623 Views)

What's The Best Skill To Learn Under 6 Months For Me To Migrate To Europe? / With N20M, Should I Travel To USA Or Stay In Nigeria? / Leave The Country Or Stay Back And Start Something?please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 12, 2017
Truth is the pro Nigeria debaters are just arguing for argument sake and that's the truth and one of the reason why I just view and waka pass.

The OP is not going as a student(even if he were, and can sustain himself financially, I would encourage him), he is going the PR route. I don't know about some of you but his chances of success is way brighter in Canada than in Nigeria. Some people equate success to dangote's kinds of success. There are different kinds. I am not as wealthy as Dangote (infact I no near am) but I am comfortable. Most things I have today I got by merit and the reason why it's so is because I wasn't in Nigeria. Truth is, if I were, I would need Daddy's connect to find my way around and say I refused the help from Daddy the road to success/finding a good job would be long and hard. I know of a nurse here who is currently the facility Manager of one of the Aged care homes here. She finished Uni end of 2013. She is African. But she earned that post through hardwork and got the position. To get such a title within 3 years of uni completion? How many people get promoted in Nigeria because of their hard work? people get promoted in Naija based on who knows who.

You cannot compare Nigeria to Canada. I am sorry, there is no basis for comparison. You have either the High class or the lower class in Nigeria. What you call Middle class in Nigeria could be seen as Lower class in many developed country.

We talk about alternative medicine, abeg how many life threatening disease/s as it cured? how many cancers have it cured? what killed Muna Obekwe in Nigeria? kidney issue? he had exhausted all his finances to pay for dialysis and he still died. There is a story trending on social media at the moment of a girl called Maryann suffering from congenital arteries and veins malformation. Naija celebs are rallying around trying to help her...if that girl does not get the help that she deserves, death is patiently awaiting. Someone I know died of bowel obstruction some two years ago due to lack of proper health care. I could go on and on.

I live in a country where we enjoy universal health care (health is wealth). Patients who have cancer are cared for expensive drugs inclusive. Those discovered early are fought against and sometimes won. These same patients would leave the hospital without paying a cent.

I also live in a country where I am paid to have a child. For each child I birth, the government welcomes the child into the world with a cheque in your hand. cool

If I lose my job now, the government would take over my bills until I am back on my feet.

My first home, the government contributed to it free

Can you all arguing blindly pro Nigeria do me one lovely favour and just be quiet for a second? THANK YOU

30 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Eke40seven(m): 2:14am On Feb 13, 2017
WellEndowed:
Truth is the pro Nigeria debaters are just arguing for argument sake and that's the truth and one of the reason why I just view and waka pass.

The OP is not going as a student(even if he were, and can sustain himself financially, I would encourage him), he is going the PR route. I don't know about some of you but his chances of success is way brighter in Canada than in Nigeria. Some people equate success to dangote's kinds of success. There are different kinds. I am not as wealthy as Dangote (infact I no near am) but I am comfortable. Most things I have today I got by merit and the reason why it's so is because I wasn't in Nigeria. Truth is, if I were, I would need Daddy's connect to find my way around and say I refused the help from Daddy the road to success/finding a good job would be long and hard. I know of a nurse here who is currently the facility Manager of one of the Aged care homes here. She finished Uni end of 2013. She is African. But she earned that post through hardwork and got the position. To get such a title within 3 years of uni completion? How many people get promoted in Nigeria because of their hard work? people get promoted in Naija based on who knows who.

You cannot compare Nigeria to Canada. I am sorry, there is no basis for comparison. You have either the High class or the lower class in Nigeria. What you call Middle class in Nigeria could be seen as Lower class in many developed country.

We talk about alternative medicine, abeg how many life threatening disease/s as it cured? how many cancers have it cured? what killed Muna Obekwe in Nigeria? kidney issue? he had exhausted all his finances to pay for dialysis and he still died. There is a story trending on social media at the moment of a girl called Maryann suffering from congenital arteries and veins malformation. Naija celebs are rallying around trying to help her...if that girl does not get the help that she deserves, death is patiently awaiting. Someone I know died of bowel obstruction some two years ago due to lack of proper health care. I could go on and on.

I live in a country where we enjoy universal health care (health is wealth). Patients who have cancer are cared for expensive drugs inclusive. Those discovered early are fought against and sometimes won. These same patients would leave the hospital without paying a cent.

I also live in a country where I am paid to have a child. For each child I birth, the government welcomes the child into the world with a cheque in your hand. cool

If I lose my job now, the government would take over my bills until I am back on my feet.

Can you all arguing blindly pro Nigeria do me one lovely favour and just be quiet for a second? THANK YOU
I read the emboldened and didn't bother reading the rest. It came up as very tacky and uncivilized. The essence of a debate is to open up different perspective of view on a particular matter and if by now you don't know this, then big big shame, a very big one.

We will continue to air our views and if you don't like it, you can either develop a new forum exclusively for you, commemt and reply your own comment or you can go to the market, get a very strong and dependable rope and i know you won't be needing further guidance from me on its proper use.

4 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:10am On Feb 13, 2017
WellEndowed:

I wonder why you guys keep acting like Europeans and Americans are exempted from "who know who syndrome" when George Bush senior and junior have both ruled America before and another Bush from the same family has been governor. The Kennedy dynasty, Clintons, just to name a few. Many people get jobs without knowing anyone in the top rank (especially in the corporate world) here

Middle class in Nigeria =lower class in most countries in Europe? How did you arrive at this conclusion. How many middle class Western citizens can boast of actually owing property (fully paid for)? I know MIDDLE class families here who own about 3 and above with lands and thriving businesses (not to talk of the rich who own estates and conglomerates) How many lower class citizens abroad can afford vacations abroad(since you insist that middle class here is same with lower class there, do your lower class travel on vacation like our middle class did before the recession began in 2016?)

Despite all the advancement in technology, cancer still kills people over there too: David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Terry Wogan, Barry Howard, Caroline Aherne, Victoria Wood, Howard Marks, Paul Daniels, AA Gill, John Cruyff, just to name a few among the rich stars who lost their lives to it in 2016. Even children still die, people still die of dementia, Parkinson, heart disease. With all the state of the art medicines available doctors still send people home to die. Alzheimers-disease, cancer, kidney disease and many more are still killing people.

Are you sure you are paid to reproduce or rather the government pays to cater for your child if you are a citizen and a low income earner? Only the poor rely on benefits na.

By your reliance on government benevolence even to acquire a house am I right to assume that you are a low income earner, is that something to be proud of? FYI as the government is contributing towards your home so are they taxing others heavily to make it a reality (a classic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul cheesy)

3 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:36am On Feb 13, 2017
How do you people feel comfortable living off the altruism and selflessness of these Westerners that made their lands such nice places? Where is your pride?Your shame? How can you dismiss your heritage, your children's cultural roots, how can you look them in the eye and say you abandoned your fatherland and co-opted the whiteman's. This nothing but parasitism, selfishness, spinelessness and it is reprehensible. You bring dishonor to your african names.

7 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by maternal: 4:18am On Feb 13, 2017
BoboYekini:
How do you people feel comfortable living off the altruism and selflessness of these Westerners that made their lands such nice places? Where is your pride?Your shame? How can you dismiss your heritage, your children's cultural roots, how can you look them in the eye and say you abandoned your fatherland and co-opted the whiteman's. This nothing but parasitism, selfishness, spinelessness and it is reprehensible. You bring dishonor to your african names.

You sent this message on the computer and Internet created by the ....... nevermind.

12 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:49am On Feb 13, 2017
maternal:

You sent this message on the computer and Internet created by the ....... nevermind.

Egypt and Ethiopia, the beginning of ancient civilization are in Europe, i presume? Don't be too comfortable, taking pride in Western civilization, it's just a phase.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Schwartz: 4:57am On Feb 13, 2017
Eke40seven:

I read the bolded and didn't bother reading the rest. It came up as very tacky and uncivilized. The essence of a debate is to open up different perspective of view on a particularly matter and if by now you don't know this, then big big shame, a very big one.

We will continue to air our views and if you don't like it, you can either develop a new forum exclusively for you, commemt and reply your own comment or you can go to the market, get a very strong and dependable rope and i know you won't be needing further guidance from me on its proper use.
grin grin we know the kind of people who government pays benefits for children upkeep and free housing. The very poor of course grin

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 5:34am On Feb 13, 2017
I've enjoyed the arguments, seeing things from different perspective. Truth be said, everyone here has made a valid point.
Now my summary.
If you want to take the chance of being wealthy,amassing so much riches in the midst of a largely suffering masses, how u made the money is nobody's business - stay in Nigeria.
If u want to live an average, decent, peaceful life. Where the essential things in life are guaranteed- go abroad.
Let me break the cost of living naija vs Canada. Using the guy doing a menial job of $2k/monthly and the big boy manager with 400k/mothly

Canada
1. single room with all the bills. $600
2. car insurance. $100
3. Gas for car. $100
4. Feeding plus flexing for a single guy. $ 100
( should be less)
5. Misc. $50
Total. $950
Can save $1k. which is roughly N400k.

Nigeria
1. Rent mini flat, surulere. N70k
2. Feeding in house and outside. N50k
3. petrol for car @145/l. N40k
4. petrol for gen. N25k
5. beggy beggy from peeps as per shairman. N15k
6. phone + internet. N20k
7. Miscellaneous expenses in naija is extreme, car repairs, tyre puncture, owambe, committee of friends, phone loss, laptop falls when nepa did the usual, ponzi loss, beggy beggy girls, suya, careless waka, fuel scarcity, istandwithtuface, traffic robbery, malaria drugs, brother epp me epp me, gen repairs.......... 30k
Total. N250k.
save N150k.
Also note he spent large chunk of money furnishing the house as a big boy compared to the guy in Canada that moved into the house with just his clothes.

The Canada guy will spend about 30mins a day on transit to and from work.
Lagos boy will likely spend 4hrs a day on transit, shortening his rest time, ageing him, noisy and polluted air and so on....

If the Canadian guy loses his job, higher chances of him finding something else or the government pays him almost $2k monthly.
Naija guy, sorry will be his name.

You be the judge, which do u prefer?

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by maternal: 6:17am On Feb 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

Egypt and Ethiopia, the beginning of ancient civilization are in Europe, i presume? Don't be too comfortable, taking pride in Western civilization, it's just a phase.

Yet you're still here using western........ nevermind.

5 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 6:18am On Feb 13, 2017
BoboYekini:

Yes.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by maternal: 6:23am On Feb 13, 2017
BoboYekini:

The same way a politician stealing money can look the ghetto boy in the face and not give a damn whether he eats or dies. I'd take white racism over black racism/tribalism any day. Black on black racism is deadly. Africans are now holy and cultured, when youths cant really speak their native tongue, they walk around with ear rings and tatoos, and know all the lyrics to the latest Drake songs ? Abeg

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 6:29am On Feb 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

I wonder why you guys keep acting like Europeans and Americans are exempted from "who know who syndrome" when George Bush senior and junior have both ruled America before and another Bush from the same family has been governor. The Kennedy dynasty, Clintons, just to name a few. Many people get jobs without knowing anyone in the top rank (especially in the corporate world) here

Middle class Nigeria =lower class in most countries? How did you arrive at this conclusion. How many middle class Western citizens can boast of actually owing property (fully paid for)? I know middle class families here who own about 3 and above with lands and thriving businesses (not to talk of the rich who own estates and conglomerates) How many lower class citizens abroad can afford vacations abroad etc.

Despite all the advancement in technology, cancer still kills people over there too: David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Terry Wogan, Barry Howard, Caroline Aherne, Victoria Wood, Howard Marks, Paul Daniels, AA Gill, John Cruyff, just to name a few among the rich stars who lost their lives to it in 2016. Even children still die, people still die of dementia, Parkinson, heart disease. With all the state of the art medicines available doctors still send people home to die. Alzheimers-disease, cancer, kidney disease and many more are still killing people.

Are you sure you are paid to reproduce or rather the government pays to cater for your child if you are a citizen and a low income earner? Only the poor rely on benefits na.

By your reliance on government benevolence even to acquire a house am I right to assume that you are a low income earner, is that something to be proud of? FYI as the government is contributing towards your home so are they taxing others heavily to make it a reality (a classic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul cheesy)

I suggest you start a church in Nigeria you make so much money because you have the ability to lie with straight face.

Lower class Nigerians taking holiday abroad? Where? Niger republic? I have been in this section since 2009 and i know those lower class taking holiday abroad. Pidgin2? They are running away from hardship and not holiday!!

You talk about Nigeria here as if you are talking to foreigners

12 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:52am On Feb 13, 2017
justwise:

I suggest you start a church in Nigeria you make so much money because you have the ability to lie with straight face.

Lower class Nigerians taking holiday abroad? Where? Niger republic? I have been in this section since 2009 and i know those lower class taking holiday abroad. Pidgin2? They are running away from hardship and not holiday!!

Lai Mohammed..hahaha.she is telling us that our sufferings are enjoyment. She doesn't know the number of Nigerians that depend heavily on remittance.. even to get married.

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:06am On Feb 13, 2017
zeelo2014:
I've enjoyed the arguments, seeing things from different perspective. Truth be said, everyone here has made a valid point.
Now my summary.
If you want to take the chance of being wealthy,amassing so much riches in the midst of a largely suffering masses, how u made the money is nobody's business - stay in Nigeria.
If u want to live an average, decent, peaceful life. Where the essential things in life are guaranteed- go abroad.
Let me break the cost of living naija vs Canada. Using the guy doing a menial job of $2k/monthly and the big boy manager with 400k/mothly

Canada
1. single room with all the bills. $600
2. car insurance. $100
3. Gas for car. $100
4. Feeding plus flexing for a single guy. $ 100
( should be less)
5. Misc. $50
Total. $950
Can save $1k. which is roughly N400k.

Nigeria
1. Rent mini flat, surulere. N70k
2. Feeding in house and outside. N50k
3. petrol for car @145/l. N40k
4. petrol for gen. N25k
5. beggy beggy from peeps as per shairman. N15k
6. phone + internet. N20k
7. Miscellaneous expenses in naija is extreme, car repairs, tyre puncture, owambe, committee of friends, phone loss, laptop falls when nepa did the usual, ponzi loss, beggy beggy girls, suya, careless waka, fuel scarcity, istandwithtuface, traffic robbery, malaria drugs, brother epp me epp me, gen repairs.......... 30k
Total. N250k.
save N150k.
Also note he spent large chunk of money furnishing the house as a big boy compared to the guy in Canada that moved into the house with just his clothes.

The Canada guy will spend about 30mins a day on transit to and from work.
Lagos boy will likely spend 4hrs a day on transit, shortening his rest time, ageing him, noisy and polluted air and so on....

If the Canadian guy loses his job, higher chances of him finding something else or the government pays him almost $2k monthly.
Naija guy, sorry will be his name.

You be the judge, which do u prefer?
canadian dollars is 230

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:34am On Feb 13, 2017
elfmann:

Lai Mohammed..hahaha.she is telling us that our sufferings are enjoyment. She doesn't know the number of Nigerians that depend heavily on remittance.. even to get married.

Children school fees, rent, medical bills the list is endless. Lower class taking holiday abroad indeed.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:40am On Feb 13, 2017
justwise:

Haba, I wrote middle class na. I was responding to someone who compared our middle class with lower class there, it seems you misunderstood me. Maybe you should read again..

Between 2010 and early 2015, I know how ticket sales increased drastically and the aviation industry grew by leaps. This was attributed to typical middle class families going on vacation during summer and Christmas and of course increased foreign investment, it's not a lie at all

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 13, 2017
elfmann:

Are we living in Cuba? If you are talking about taking care of your elderly parents and relatives, well that is expected of most working class people here, it is our culture but if you are referring to able bodied working class citizens then I advice you to start teaching such a person how to fish instead of spoon feeding him, let him/her learn a skill. Only the lazy or unfortunate ones depend heavily on remittances here in such category
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by zeelo2014: 8:09am On Feb 13, 2017
Alikote:
canadian dollars is 230
If you know anyone selling cad at N230, contact me, I'll buy everything. Hope u know usd is also N305 official?

4 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by arena07: 8:19am On Feb 13, 2017
justwise:

hahaha you make me laugh with this comment,the way u classified lower class running away from hardship makes me laugh louder never knew u are dis funny
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by keni: 11:01am On Feb 13, 2017
Schwartz:
But when you uproot yourself from a business environment you know so well, and attempt to plant yourself in a new environment, especially one that is structured and controlled, the task of success is even more challenging. But I welcomed the brunt, the fire, the baptism of starting all over again…and boy, did I suffer the pain of starting a business in the land of 'white spirits’. No old school boy networks, no existing client base, and no clear understanding of the operational mechanics of the given geographical space. One had to go back to school. One had to work on the side. One had to support his growing family.
From being Kese Jabari, a celebrity and renowned designer and label, one became just another African struggling to secure the mirage that is packaged as the American dream, in a land branded as the land of 'milk and honey'. There were moments of doubt... but the good Lord was faithful again. He blessed us, more than ever before, 'with our cup running over'.
https://www.nairaland.com/3619921/sabina-umeh-akamune-kese-jabari-mode

I have been privileged to be in 3 western countries and I tell you, except you have a job offer already waiting for you, when you relocate abroad you WILL start from the beginning. 400k per month translates to 4.8million naira per annum. No matter how expensive things have become in Nigeria with a prudent lifestyle you can save good of that money and build yourself, you can open a good business, buy land, become a landlord. All those quoting that the money is just 800$ I just laugh. Living abroad is expensive! Forget stories of people making it in 8 months. If true out of say 500 Nigerians abroad how many have been able to finish all certification exams, pass and get good paying white collar jobs? Even at that when your pay cheque is handed to you after all tax deduction how much do you pay for housing, bills etc? Tell us the truth when you live abroad can you truly save much? All the houses and cars abroad people pose with on social media its all got on credit.
If you cannot manage with 400k and save and make something good out of your life you can never succeed any where else in the world. Its not easy anywhere, that I am sure.
If you earn little then you can come abroad. A very close friend of mine lived in Lekki, drove only brand new cars. With the wau she lived we can conclude that she was a 'big girl', she sold everything and now lives abroad. She does menial jobs now. And lives in a tiny room. The rent she pays per month abroad is equivalent to what she was paying for in Lekki. That is how expensive it is to live abroad. And yes she regrets her decision even with the light, water and all the amenities available. I see so many people take this big step without calculating the risks. Its not greener on the other side.
for your first comment you need to break it down, in today's economy how that should be achieved, the blanket statement there does not really explain much

For your second statement that is not also true because I earn that much and it has gotten extremely difficult to manage that sum now.

For your last statement, my uncle told me a story of one of the south western big boys whom they did sent forth for in Dallas when he wanted to come back to Nigeria for good, it was a big party, few years down the line, he has moved ahead to settle in Canada, what is the moral of this story? bros dont generalise

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by keni: 11:10am On Feb 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

Even America was in recession a few years ago yet they bounced back so why do I get the feeling that you think we will never come out of this? So to you being in recession at the moment is now a valid reason to make a long-term decision like relocating forever the best way forward

I think you are missing the point about recession, Nigeria has been in recession since the time of Babangida, everyone just recently lashed onto the word now, before now you must have been hearing people say ''You know the situation of the economy'' or ''you know the economy is hard'' when they want to give you excuse for not spending money, its the recession that never left us they were referring to. I am waiting patiently to see how the price of EWEDU that went up as a result of ''Recession'' will come down once it is over

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by keni: 11:15am On Feb 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

Lol used cars are easy to get in America, it's not an investment and it is certainly not supposed to be an achievement for you as it is necessary to have one there unlike here where one can decide to use public transport for commuting to save cost.

Please dont try that in Texas,or Virginia you will be rendered totally useless
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by blank(f): 11:54am On Feb 13, 2017
justwise:

Haba, let us argue fairly. She said middle class Nigerians. THe low class came from someone saying that middle class Nigerians equals low class abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ttmacoy: 11:55am On Feb 13, 2017
Are you claiming the state of our public schools today is what it was when our so called leaders attended?

If the medical hospitals and facilities are as great as you say why are our governors and president sill flying abroad to give birth or for treatment?

https://www.nairaland.com/3626044/rachael-dickson-quadruplets-arrive-nigeria

Pidgin2:

Hey, stop listening to stories on the Internet try to get actual experience.
I have discovered that most people writing bad things about Nigeria are the frustrated folks who would rather cross to Europe through Lybia than to be productive to themselves.

You say we don't have running water here? Well, that's a big lie, we do. And if anyone does not then they can supply their own water by digging a bore hole for themselves or their communities (no one pays tax for this and you get constant water for life once this is done). They can form groups to achieve this if funds are limited.

Public schools are totally free here too and most of our leaders today attended these schools, people can also make choices based on their budgets on the kind of schools they want their kids to attend, they can also home school if they chose. As for light, we were paying only N87/ltr for fuel to run our gen in 2015, I believe we can get back to that again with good leadership. Some places do have good light supply. Alternative energy like solar and wind is being used privately.

Alternative medicine here is an option which people use (just like in China and India) our grand parents lived very long too. As for Western medicine, some states do give free basic health care to pregnant women and children under 5. Most government and state hospitals are heavily subsidized

Nigeria is not hell, contrary to what you might think so someone earning N400K a month can expand his wealth greatly in an almost tax free country. Everything depends on him and his God

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by blank(f): 11:57am On Feb 13, 2017
keni:

I think you are missing the point about recession, Nigeria has been in recession since the time of Babangida, everyone just recently lashed onto the word now, before now you must have been hearing people say ''You know the situation of the economy'' or ''you know the economy is hard'' when they want to give you excuse for not spending money, its the recession that never left us they were referring to. I am waiting patiently to see how the price of EWEDU that went up as a result of ''Recession'' will come down once it is over

Nigeria was just in recession. Recession is 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Our economy was growing before that. Just thought to point that out.

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by keni: 12:01pm On Feb 13, 2017
blank:

Nigeria was just in recession. Recession is 2 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Our economy was growing before that. Just thought to point that out.

I understand clearly what it is, please read between the line
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by azarenka(f): 12:08pm On Feb 13, 2017
Wait oo are you guys comparing Naija and Canada or what?There is no basis for comparison.Life is a matter of choice.If u love ur father land soooo much, then stay back and just exist there, if you choose to live ur life for the future of urself and ur kids then Canada will be on ur heart.
Everything boils down to choice.
Abeg,gurus for the house,make una no mind me say i wan deviate a bit o.Please between Aussie and Canada,which should i go to.Me wan make money and have a good life for my children. abeg gurus short answers o.
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 13, 2017
keni:

Why are you posting false information? Recession began barely two years ago with the coming of Buhari's administration.

So we should all reject Nigeria because of it. How many Americans rejected their country during the US recession? Prices of goods will certainly come down once we have a good economic team

1 Like

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by keni: 12:15pm On Feb 13, 2017
Pidgin2:

Why are you posting false information? Recession began barely two years ago with the coming of Buhari's administration.

So we should all reject Nigeria because of it. How many Americans rejected their country during the US recession? Prices of goods will certainly come down once we have a good economic team

I didnt post false infomation just barely stating the fact as for bolded I already said that am eagerly waiting for that to happen
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 13, 2017
azarenka:
Wait oo are you guys comparing Naija and Canada or what?There is no basis for comparison.Life is a matter of choice.If u love ur father land soooo much, then stay back and just exist there, if you choose to live ur life for the future of urself and ur kids then Canada will be on ur heart.
Everything boils down to choice.
Abeg,gurus for the house,make una no mind me say i wan deviate a bit o.Please between Aussie and Canada,which should i go to.Me wan make money and have a good life for my children. abeg gurus short answers o.

Are you no longer satisfied with Dubai that you migrated to, now you need to transit to Canada or Australia to get a good life for yourself and kids? cheesy

Like you said, it's all about choice, some people are enjoying here too, so if Nigeria and Dubai did not work for you, I hope one of those other countries will do the trick.

2 Likes

Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 12:25pm On Feb 13, 2017
zeelo2014:

No not everyone has made valid points. Some points here are just totally laughable; it is clear to everyone that some people are just arguing because they don't want to feel bad about their side of the argument - as though what we are saying here is a reflection of who they are, it is not. They are afraid to call a spade a spade (I wonder why??)

The cognitive dissonance in some people's posts here is real.

zeelo2014:

7. Miscellaneous expenses in naija is extreme, car repairs, tyre puncture, owambe, committee of friends, phone loss, laptop falls when nepa did the usual, ponzi loss, beggy beggy girls, suya, careless waka, fuel scarcity, istandwithtuface, traffic robbery, malaria drugs, brother epp me epp me, gen repairs..........

grin grin
Re: Migrate To Canada Or Stay With 400 K Monthly Salary In Nigeria by Eruditor: 12:36pm On Feb 13, 2017
Except people here are referring to another Nigeria most of what I am reading here for the "pro-Nigeria" crew is poppycock. To start with, we are talking about 400k. Second, Alikote didn't give the impression he was trying to run away to do menials but is considering doing an MBA and restarting his life in Canada. My opinion? Take it and run, but that's just a shortened version of my reason. Let me attempt to dispel a few of the myths being peddled here.

1. 400k is now average. It is not for big boys. I live in Nigeria and I know people who earn about the same amount and I would not refer to them as big boys by any stretch of the imagination. In the face of today's economy, 400k is equivalent to what 120k was in the early 2000s. The maths suggests it. The pro-Nigeria crew are presenting an illusory by making 400k seem like 680k+ but that is not the case. Every single thing in Nigeria has changed price to reflect the recession (even though most of it is artificial and an example of the typical greed of Nigerians ).

2. 400k cannot build you a house or help you get into real estate. That's another wanton statement bordering on corybantic. Except you plan on acquiring the landed property by installmental payments and in that case, you'd be hedged for atleast 3 years, 400k cannot buy you any good land in viable places in Nigeria. That is, Lagos, Abuja and PH. As per the story about building houses, perhaps we should begin with buying 1 plot of land at 600k+ even in Delta state before we spend millions on the foundation, brick work, decking, roofing, ceiling, plastering etc. And this hasn't even included the major internals of a house which take a bulk of the money.

3. 400k pays all your bills. It could, if and only if you are living like a crab in a Barrel. For example, if you work for an oil servicing firm chances are, you work on the Island. Where do you stay? Forget the Island, people's Boys' quarters go for above 700k per annum in Lekki. In Ajah, the fraction is only slightly lower. If you live on the mainland, I cringe for your petrol requirements per dey. Another person said 100L of PMS was enough to settle Power supply in a month and I laughed hysterically. 25L per day won't give you more than 12hrs of light except your Generator set is "I-pass-my-neigbour". 100L for power even with Inverters is a myth. The Inverters for example need to be charged with power. So how do you suppose you are going to generate that power?

4. PPP of 400k is more than 2000$ in the USA. This is laughable if it wasn't a bare-faced lie. Someone earning 2000$ in the US can achieve more with that money than anyone would with 400k in Nigeria and the reason is simple: most of what we use in Nigeria is imported or we greedily connect it to the dollar. My people, the quality of life you would live with 2000$ is better than what someone else would do with 400k and it is not even close. The closest quality of life to a lower-end middleclass person in Canada or US can be compared to living in Lekki, Ajah, Ikoyi, Asokoro, Maitama etc. I am not referring to the mansions but the rented apartments. And I can tell you point-blank that no 400k earning person can live in those places except he is doing collabo with his friends.

I have a lot to say but let me just stop here.

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

The Underrated Cotonou (benin Republic) / Which European Country Can I Travel To With 3m? / Onitsha Lockdown Relaxation: What Upper Iweka Looks Like- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.